Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
snacks for a day pack kev Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 16 01-10-2018 09:14 PM
Snacks wendigo salt Food and water 8 12-04-2014 07:10 PM
kipper snacks missing from shelves methemom Food and water 30 03-15-2012 11:06 PM
Favorite road trip snacks name-old General Discussion 20 07-28-2011 11:47 AM
Dehydrating fruit for snacks? willow Food and water 9 04-23-2011 03:41 PM
snacks for bugging in what you like hank2222 Urban Survival 65 11-21-2010 11:13 PM
Free Kashi snacks X13X Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 3 09-01-2010 07:21 PM
Storing snacks mayhaw Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 05-01-2010 02:34 AM

Old 01-17-2009, 10:57 PM

Default Snakes as snacks

Advertise Here

How many of you have run into a snake or two while hiking or camping in the wilderness? It never fails that when Iím on or off the trail I usually run into one. I have me a corn snake I ate in the picture attached but I was curious as to how many others eat the snakes they find. Even if I am carrying some camp grub I intend to make I will save it for another day if I find a good size snake. There hasnít been a snake I didnít like and I have had plenty of snakes however I was also wondering if someone knows a great way of cooking them on a fire other than hanging em.

Last edited by Raylen; 02-08-2009 at 04:32 AM..
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2009, 07:25 AM
Got any beer money?

My father collected reptiles while I was growing up. I ate Diamondback Rattler once, fryed, and Timber Rattler once, boiled. Both were delicious!

If you look at a lobster it doesn't look very good to eat, does it? Kind of like a big roach or something. Snakes are the same way, they taste great and have a lot of meat on them, since they are mostly muscle.

I haven't eat'n one I found in the wild because they are too small up here in NH to bother cleaning. As for the best cooking method, I liked the one fryed in butter the best.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Trapper

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Bum View Post
...As for the best cooking method, I liked the one fryed in butter the best.
But the best field-expedient method (e.g., no pan or butter/oil) is to belly-cut the skin, shuck it, gut it, rinse it, wrap it around a green stick, and grill that sucker over the hottest coals of a good fire (for radiant high heat). It can also be cut into long pieces and boiled, I'm told...

Last edited by lilc; 01-18-2009 at 08:31 AM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lilc For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2009, 09:36 AM

what is the bone content like? I always imagine it to be as bony as a small crappie. At one point in my fish eating history, I decided to eat bony fish is to chew really hard for a longer time and eat the bones. It is better than dissecting my meal or spitting 50 bones before swallowing. To tedious. Of coarse, that's just for the small fish. For bigger fish, well, I just eat them the normal way.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:52 AM
Plinker

I wouldn't hesitate to eat one, I think frying it would be the way to go, cutting it into little steaks. I know this sounds like a joke, but I understand they really do taste like chicken.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:19 AM

I wonder what these would taste like on hotdog buns. What the hell does go well with snakes anyhow? Enquiring minds want to know.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoJo View Post
what is the bone content like? I always imagine it to be as bony as a small crappie...
Better than most pan-sized freshwater fish (e.g., perch). For most North American species you'd come across, generally being too small for you to make any attempt at filleting, the ribs of the snake's skeleton are surprisingly well anchored to its backbone and will usually stay anchored to the spine as you eat the meat...
Old 01-18-2009, 11:20 AM
Scarred for life...

Thanked 5,298 Times in 1,579 Posts

Ive eaten Timber Rattlesnake many times.

When I was a kid, you could go hiking and if you knew what you were doing, you'd come back with three or more of Rattlesnakes, weighing as much as 60 pounds. A lot of the Timber Rattlesnakes back then were simply HUGE. Six feet long and 20 pounds (at least) was pretty much par for the course.

Nowadays they are just as numerous, but the average size is around four feet long, at least where I go. I saw one fall out of a tree a few years ago and I thought he looked 10 feet long coming down that tree but I'm sure he wasn't that big....lol At any rate I didn't go check to find out.

I know where a den is, and an enterprising person could feed a family of four for a LONG LONG time just hunting that den...sitting on a rock and popping everything that came out in the morning to sun itself...
The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy123 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2009, 12:10 PM

Thanked 1,095 Times in 358 Posts

Every once in awhile, a black snake will appear on my property, and if it's big enough, it gets taken out with a .22 hollow point bullet. It makes for good eating.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:20 PM
Scarred for life...

Thanked 5,298 Times in 1,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolfman456 View Post
Every once in awhile, a black snake will appear on my property, and if it's big enough, it gets taken out with a .22 hollow point bullet. It makes for good eating.

Blacksnakes are very good at controlling rat populations so I don't kill them.

My neighbor across the road is a farmer. When he harvests his soybeans you can stand in the road and watch literally thousands of rats run across the road onto my property.

Within a day or two of that, Ill start finding dozens of big fat lethargic blacksnakes all over the yard. They are so full of rats they cant even slither away from me.

Cats are good for rat control too but cats don't hunt for food like snakes do and they get tired of the "game" after a while and stop hunting. A blacksnake will hunt until it cannot eat anything else...
Old 01-18-2009, 12:37 PM

Thanked 1,095 Times in 358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy123 View Post
Blacksnakes are very good at controlling rat populations so I don't kill them.

My neighbor across the road is a farmer. When he harvests his soybeans you can stand in the road and watch literally thousands of rats run across the road onto my property.

Within a day or two of that, Ill start finding dozens of big fat lethargic blacksnakes all over the yard. They are so full of rats they cant even slither away from me.

Cats are good for rat control too but cats don't hunt for food like snakes do and they get tired of the "game" after a while and stop hunting. A blacksnake will hunt until it cannot eat anything else...
I am well aware of that and as a farmer, I love those black snakes. Sometimes I just can't resist the tasty meal thou.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:00 PM

Most snakes I have tried have a natural smokey flavor to em. When I cooked a rattler I caught along side the Brazos river and put it in with pinto beans, it left a delicious flavor to the beans. I can't say what that flavor is because honestly it didn't tast like anything I have had before. I suppose everyone has his and her own tasts but I do think that rattler and beans are a very good mix. Forget the pork and use the snake.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Dangerous Old Man

Thanked 1,202 Times in 526 Posts

Wrap it around a stick,hold it over a SMALL mesquite fire till it quits squirming and enjoy...mmmmmmmmm tasty.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:18 PM

Snake meat is okay tasting but it's awful chewy for my taste. I also like to keep as many snakes around as possible just to keep the rodent population down to a managable size. One of the farmers near my old farm would always wonder why everyone has less rats than he did in his corn. Then we all found out he was killing his snakes. Not the brightest fellow out there.

I'd rather have snapping turtle, anyway. My son loves when we kill a reptile to eat because he likes to keep track of how long the heart keeps beating. The longest heart beating after we chopped it's head off was a snapping turtle who's heart beat for just short of four days after he had been killed. The longest snake heart beat was 39 hours after we cut off its head.. The bodies twist around in the fire too. I still find it weird to try and take meat off of a corpse that is still moving even after being cooked.

blt