Advice for a CCW interview - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A fun interview with Bix! sevenmmm Financial Forum 11 07-24-2013 07:32 PM
FERFAL Interview, MUST SEE Vanishing Nomad Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 12-29-2012 03:36 PM
Interview of an exorcist Firebird Religious Discussion 11 07-28-2012 07:39 PM
Job interview BOBtheBUTCHER General Discussion 1 09-16-2009 12:34 PM
Spiegel interview brutalsun Manmade and Natural Disasters 0 07-30-2009 02:16 PM
Tom Brown Interview undisclosed Books, Movies & Stories 3 04-20-2009 08:37 PM
What NOT to say at your CCW interview danpauselius Firearms General Discussion 43 06-12-2008 08:06 PM
The Interview With God Reed Religious Discussion 1 07-29-2007 12:42 PM

Old 07-24-2014, 07:00 PM
Hiker

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by screeno View Post
Ah, but that is not what was stated, is it? It may be that way in some counties, but far (and I do mean far) from it in other counties. So the all-inclusive statement looked like a troll to me.
For the vast majority of the population that is the case so you really can't expect an outsider to know the difference between CCW issuance in Ventura and Los Angeles counties. Fact is, for MOST Californians CCW issuance is a no-go until the courts settle the whole fiasco...unless you're rich and contribute to campaign funds.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Daelith For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 09:26 PM
Sic semper tyrannis.

Thanked 19,644 Times in 5,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMonsantoPlanto View Post
Two WEEKS?!

I walked into my Sheriff's department and walked out five MINUTES later with a 5-year CCW permit in my wallet.

No interview, no questions.
Here in Vermont, we just holster up and carry. No permission needed by any officials. However we get zero reciprocation from the other states that require permits.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to escape For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 09:37 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,241 Times in 868 Posts

Bad guys do not get concealed permits, why should the good guys have too? I think it is unconstitutional Personaly.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xBOOMSTICKx For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 10:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 37,064 Times in 7,674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape View Post
Here in Vermont, we just holster up and carry. No permission needed by any officials. However we get zero reciprocation from the other states that require permits.
Likewise here in Arizona.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clocker For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 12:59 AM
Looks like rain to me.

Thanked 44,624 Times in 26,376 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Back to the OP,

Is your neighborhood slightly sketchy? Are there crime statistics that you can point to? Do you drive through rough hoods to and from work? In Sacramento and Placer Counties "Personal Protection" is good enough. I live in one and retired from the Sheriff's Dept. in the other. Alpine County is working on an online application.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 01:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 29,178 Times in 6,820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMonsantoPlanto View Post
Tell the interviewer that you and those in your Militia Survivalist Prepper group are concerned with the Obama death squads and you swear you're being followed. Then hand him a copy of the Turner Diaries and bid him Sieg Heil while smiting yourself on the chest.

I heard it worked for a guy.
About the most solid advice I have received yet. Seems legit!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TRyan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 07:23 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,087 Times in 1,216 Posts

Just start out with "When I'm not drunk or high..."
Old 07-25-2014, 09:47 AM
Pot-stirring nest-poker!

Thanked 8,729 Times in 2,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape View Post
Vermont has no-permit CONCEALED carry?

Awesome!
The Following User Says Thank You to TheMonsantoPlanto For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 01:14 PM
Come and Take Them!

Thanked 7,585 Times in 2,191 Posts

Quote:
Little late in the game to be asking for help, isn't it?

Also in my opinion, it will work against you if you go into the interview spouting your rights as a free man, or anything along that line. While perfectly true and just, it could irritate certain issuing agencies and possibly ruin your chances. It is unfortunate that this is the way it is, and that is why there is pending legislation. But in the meantime, if you want your license, then you play by their rules in order to get what you seek.
Bureaucrats seem to love it when you throw yourself upon their mercy!! They seem to hate anything about individual rights!!
The Following User Says Thank You to alv7722 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 01:22 PM
Target Shooter

Here they do a background check, finger print, and take your picture twice. Then I walked out of the sheriff's office with a permit.

If I were you I would say you were threatened by a street punk several times on way to work, at gas station, or carryout. Best thing is just say I want my right to carry.
The Following User Says Thank You to webeable For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 01:31 PM
CTP

Thanked 1,341 Times in 700 Posts

What county are you in? I'm in Orange County and finished my CCW course two weeks ago. Lots of good info from our class that touched on the CA case and CCW. Basically scared that the OC Sheriff reviewed the Peruta decision and basically is going along with it until it either gets reversed or becomes law. Whether she personally agrees with it she is abiding by it at a professional level. However, most other county sheriffs don't give a crap what the 9th circus decided and will not do anything to change the current policy until forced to do so by the courts. Also, the decision will not turn the stares CCW policy into a shall issue state. It will remain a may issue state but the good cause requirement is just loosens up A LOT.

To your original question: if your interview is not with OC and with one of the other major counties, you are 100% guaranteed to not get your CCW approved with the statement you mentioned in your first post. Essentially, your good cause needs to be that you are a politician, diamond dealer, coin and precious metals dealer, carry large sums of cash related to your business, move/carry expensive high end equipment or merchandise, have had death threats made against you, etc, etc.

I wish you the best but it doesn't look good from my experience.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Blzn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 01:54 PM
statists' be statin'

Thanked 10,930 Times in 2,387 Posts

Here, you can get a carry permit only if you can show an “urgent necessity for self-protection, as evidenced by specific threats or previous attacks which demonstrate a special danger to the applicant’s life that cannot be avoided by means other than by issuance of a permit to carry a handgun,” N.J. Admin. Code § 13:54-2.4(d)

Odd that only 1,200 son-in-laws of judges, wives of senators, large political donors, and a few anti-gun legislators qualify under NJ's laws.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maintenanceguy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 01:54 PM
Some guy on the internet

Thanked 5,803 Times in 2,149 Posts

Q:Why do you want a CPL?

A: "because I'm a g** dam American and it's my right, you gestapo *&%* "

best of luck, OP, let us know how it goes buddy!
The Following User Says Thank You to loki81 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 01:56 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 36,576 Times in 14,439 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Do not be a hard-case about your 'rights'. Nobody cares. It is only a privilege at best.

Years ago, I was busted for brandishing a weapon in Lake County California. I was managing an apartment complex of 20-units. I Open Carried [which at the time was legal] every day when I was at those apartments. One day as I was collecting rent money, I was approached by two men. An argument grew, I drew my weapon and got them to back away.

When Law Enforcement arrived, I was arrested and I spent the night in jail. I fought it for 6 months in court. I finally was advised to plead guilty, to make it 'go away'. In the end, I had to pay $3,500.

Laws change, and one county is different from the next county.

If I were back in California again [notice I did not settle there, even though it is my home state], I would seriously want to attend some courses on exactly what is legal, and how the courts today view these topics.

You may easily think that you are doing 'right', and you may be arrested for doing 'wrong'.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Bravo Zulu

Thanked 12,164 Times in 5,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loki81 View Post
Q:Why do you want a CPL?

A: "because I'm a g** dam American and it's my right, you gestapo *&%* "
Is it a right to have permission to carry a firearm?

From my understanding of the United States Constitution the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, which actually means that it's your right NOT to have a CPL.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SamboRoberts For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 05:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 29,178 Times in 6,820 Posts
Default *update*

Had my "interview" today for my CCW and I have to say the officers couldn't have been cooler. They were friendly and made the process easy,, even offering suggestion to help the request go through. After speaking with the investigator he told me as long as I don't have anything on my record (which I don't) there should be no problem with getting my CCW. My good cause statement was about protecting myself while hiking and camping and he told me no need for that. Under the current law (This is California) self defense is reason enough to get it (as should be). Even though there were some hoops to jump through with paper work I have to say it wa an easy process and I'm happy with it.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TRyan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 05:30 PM
Don't start no mess

Thanked 11,913 Times in 3,176 Posts

As it now stands in CA, the state is still a "may issue" state, and finding hard data on how many permits exist, and which counties operate under which policies becomes difficult at best. I suppose that has something to do with why there are so many opinions on what really happens in CA when it comes to CCW issuance. Add in Peruta and the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and it all gets pretty sketchy.

It is completely incorrect to state that you "are not going to get approved unless you are ultra wealthy" and that "self defense is only allowed for the elite and state sponsored law enforcement in California". I think that if anything, that statement is couched in emotion, as opposed to fact.

In order to try to shed some light on the question of which CA counties are "pro CCW" and which aren't, it's tough to find any viable stats or charts or maps... at least from my research. If anyone can produce anything along that line, I'm all for it.

The closest I could come to putting a number on this is from info derived from a statement found on Calguns Foundation Wiki...
Quote:
It is apparent from the published information on the numbers of licenses that the carry license law is applied differently in different parts of the State. One observation: cities and counties with populations greater than approximately 300,000 tend to issue many fewer licenses, in absolute numbers and by population, than smaller jurisdictions.
Working with that criterion, I checked out population of all 58 CA counties. That info was found here.
Dividing the state into counties with more than and less than 300K people, I found that there are 22 counties with +300K and 36 counties with -300K.

On a per county basis, and following the Calguns criterion, there are more counties (36) that issue than counties that don't (22). As previously noted, these tend to be classified as rural counties, comprising, by my rough calculation, approximately 3,330,000 people.

On a population basis, the 22 counties that "tend to issue many fewer licenses" have a population somewhere around 34,000,000... roughly 10 times the number of the rural counties. LACO alone has 10 million residents.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:34 PM
Don't start no mess

Thanked 11,913 Times in 3,176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRyan View Post
Had my "interview" today for my CCW and I have to say the officers couldn't have been cooler. They were friendly and made the process easy,, even offering suggestion to help the request go through. After speaking with the investigator he told me as long as I don't have anything on my record (which I don't) there should be no problem with getting my CCW. My good cause statement was about protecting myself while hiking and camping and he told me no need for that. Under the current law (This is California) self defense is reason enough to get it (as should be). Even though there were some hoops to jump through with paper work I have to say it wa an easy process and I'm happy with it.
Sounds great. I told you that some interviewers might assist you...
Quote:
I have heard stories that some LEO interviewers actually assist applicants with their good cause statements during the interview process.
The Following User Says Thank You to Revision For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2014, 05:48 PM
Swift Justice = 2950fps

Thanked 37,508 Times in 9,226 Posts

Quote:
I camp and hike (with friends and family) in very remote area's and if any problem were to arise law enforcement is usually very far away. I would like to protect myself against drug runners (Cannabis growers in mountains), wild animals and any weird characters that seem to hangout in the bush occasionally.
I think you should provide your interviewer with a more compelling reason for wanting a CC Permit. Why would you want to carry concealed while in the forest and is a permit even necessary in the forrest?
Old 07-25-2014, 06:23 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Awesome! What county, if you don't mind?