Advice for a CCW interview - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A fun interview with Bix! sevenmmm Financial Forum 11 07-24-2013 07:32 PM
FERFAL Interview, MUST SEE Vanishing Nomad Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 12-29-2012 03:36 PM
Interview of an exorcist Firebird Religious Discussion 11 07-28-2012 07:39 PM
Job interview BOBtheBUTCHER General Discussion 1 09-16-2009 12:34 PM
Spiegel interview brutalsun Manmade and Natural Disasters 0 07-30-2009 02:16 PM
Tom Brown Interview undisclosed Books, Movies & Stories 3 04-20-2009 08:37 PM
What NOT to say at your CCW interview danpauselius Firearms General Discussion 43 06-12-2008 08:06 PM
The Interview With God Reed Religious Discussion 1 07-29-2007 12:42 PM

Old 07-24-2014, 02:16 AM
Survivor

Thanked 29,174 Times in 6,819 Posts
Default Advice for a CCW interview

Advertise Here

I'm going for my closed carry permit interview on Friday and wondered if anyone had any advice?

I don't carry large amounts of cash, own a business that deals in valuables or have never been threatened. My good cause statement is such: I camp and hike (with friends and family) in very remote area's and if any problem were to arise law enforcement is usually very far away. I would like to protect myself against drug runners (Cannabis growers in mountains), wild animals and any weird characters that seem to hangout in the bush occasionally. I was fired at a few weeks ago while on a hike.

Any info, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TRyan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 02:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,733 Times in 4,573 Posts

didnt know there were states that required an interview ? wow. to the point. you say you have never been threatened ? where i come from being shot at is a pretty big threat. i would be sure and stress how you were shot at and they were never caught. how you are the caretaker of your family and friends when hiking and camping. do they require any class romm or training there ? i would think taking a course even if not required would help the cause. best of luck and wish you well.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sert556 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 04:40 AM
Maximus

Thanked 15,422 Times in 6,592 Posts

I never been through one. Good luck. I am sickened that you have to "interview" for a CCW... but just watch that they don't try to twist you answers to make you seem paranoid. In fact, be careful of them trying to tick you off on purpose to see how you handle that type of thing.

Keep us posted. Be prepared for "well crime rates and animal attacks are very rare in the woods. Or, so does that mean you won't be carrying in the city at all?"

Things like that. Remember 2nd A is not a "good cause" to CA.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 04:48 AM
Hey ya'll, watch this....

Thanked 1,796 Times in 479 Posts

Sounds like what you said in your post should be enough, if you asked me (but I think every gun owner should be allowed to carry anytime and anyplace, with ridiculously few exceptions).

But, back on topic, it might help to throw in some personal 'near death' experiences like the one you mentioned, as well as any close encounters with dangerous animals/people. Perhaps you've run into a crazed meth head? Stalked by a mountain lion, etc.?
Old 07-24-2014, 06:53 AM
Bravo Zulu

Thanked 12,164 Times in 5,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRyan View Post
I'm going for my closed carry permit interview on Friday and wondered if anyone had any advice?

I don't carry large amounts of cash, own a business that deals in valuables or have never been threatened. My good cause statement is such: I camp and hike (with friends and family) in very remote area's and if any problem were to arise law enforcement is usually very far away. I would like to protect myself against drug runners (Cannabis growers in mountains), wild animals and any weird characters that seem to hangout in the bush occasionally. I was fired at a few weeks ago while on a hike.

Remind them that it's unconstitutional to prevent you from bearing arms. So they either allow you to open carry or to carry concealed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/27/us...n-permits.html
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SamboRoberts For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 06:55 AM
Sic semper tyrannis.

Thanked 19,644 Times in 5,804 Posts

Tell them as a free man, under the laws of nature and laws of god you have the unalienable right to protect yourself and to utilize tools to do so. Remind them that the US constitution ratified in 1788 protects this right from being infringed upon by the governments of the several states and the general government of the United States.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to escape For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 07:05 AM
Corpsman Up

Thanked 6,919 Times in 2,231 Posts

Wish I could help, but my state sent my concealed handgun permit in less than two weeks.

Application, DD-214, and fifty dollars was the requirement.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to old doc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 07:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 36,798 Times in 7,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamboRoberts View Post
Remind them that it's unconstitutional to prevent you from bearing arms. So they either allow you to open carry or to carry concealed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/27/us...n-permits.html
Great story. A Ninth-Circuit decision (a correct one) striking down California's overly-restrictive requirements to obtain CCW permits....
Who'da thunk it??!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to clocker For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 07:38 AM
Bravo Zulu

Thanked 12,164 Times in 5,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clocker View Post
Great story. A Ninth-Circuit decision (a correct one) striking down California's overly-restrictive requirements to obtain CCW permits....
Who'da thunk it??!
There's a long road ahead just yet.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SamboRoberts For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 08:07 AM
Bear Fighter

Location: North of the 45th Parallel, West of the 115th Meridian
Thanked 2,042 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape View Post
Tell them as a freeman, under the laws of nature and laws of god you have the unalienable right to protect yourself and to utilize tools to do so. Remind them that the US constitution ratified in 1788 protects this right from being infringed upon by the governments of the several states and the general government of the United States.

As true as that may be, that'll raise plenty of red flags in California, and he'll probably end up in a padded room wearing a jacket with very long sleeves and fancy buckles before the end of the day
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Area Man For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Pot-stirring nest-poker!

Thanked 8,729 Times in 2,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by old doc View Post
Wish I could help, but my state sent my concealed handgun permit in less than two weeks.

Application, DD-214, and fifty dollars was the requirement.
Two WEEKS?!

I walked into my Sheriff's department and walked out five MINUTES later with a 5-year CCW permit in my wallet.

No interview, no questions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheMonsantoPlanto For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 12:30 PM
Corpsman Up

Thanked 6,919 Times in 2,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMonsantoPlanto View Post
Two WEEKS?!

I walked into my Sheriff's department and walked out five MINUTES later with a 5-year CCW permit in my wallet.

Yep, my first one decades ago was from Etowah County, Al. It was the same then for five bucks.

Virginia is required to issue the CHP within 45 days. I thought two weeks was worth bragging about.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to old doc For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 12:34 PM
Don't start no mess

Thanked 11,913 Times in 3,176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMonsantoPlanto View Post
Two WEEKS?!

Shut up! Some of us bleed when we read that.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Revision For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 12:38 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,274 Times in 617 Posts

Unfortunate that you have to interview for such things.

DO NOT quote scripture, Constitution, Patrick Henry, free man, infringement, or anything even remotely similar.

Whoever's conducting the session will not care in the slightest & you'll only create a negative impression.

Consider what THEY'LL be looking for, not what YOU think is right.
They want to see a calm, rational human with a reason for wanting the permit.
Give them what they want.
Denis
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DPris For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 12:49 PM
Don't start no mess

Quote:

Little late in the game to be asking for help, isn't it?

As has been discussed (or at least linked) here, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals decided a case, Peruta v. County of San Diego, which interprets the "good cause" requirement. That case is currently being reviewed by the Court and is not yet final.

It is my understanding that currently, the "shall issue" decision is not being carried out in all CA counties... i.e. the "self-defense" as good cause has been put on hold pending finalization of Peruta.

If you have "heightened" good cause (reasons why you would be more likely than the average person to be attacked), you may get issued a CCW regardless of the outcome in Peruta. In my opinion, elevated good cause, as you have described, will get you a permit in many CA counties today.

Also in my opinion, it will work against you if you go into the interview spouting your rights as a free man, or anything along that line. While perfectly true and just, it could irritate certain issuing agencies and possibly ruin your chances. It is unfortunate that this is the way it is, and that is why there is pending legislation. But in the meantime, if you want your license, then you play by their rules in order to get what you seek.

And it is not all bad, mind you. Some of the more rural counties are denying virtually no one. Some if not most interviewers are either current or ex LEO, and I believe that they respect the process and the individual, and give the impression that they want you to get your permit, as long as you are not unbalanced or a felon, etc. As long as you can look 'em in the eye and speak in coherent sentences, your chances are very good.

You have noted some good causes, in my opinion. You could expound upon them, perhaps noting that besides camping and hiking in remote areas, you sometimes travel through them in your vehicle and a vehicle breakdown would put you at risk. I have heard stories that some LEO interviewers actually assist applicants with their good cause statements during the interview process.

I suggest that you look for more detailed info at calguns.net, specifically in the License to Carry Discussion forum located here.

And I wish you well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Revision For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 01:04 PM
Pot-stirring nest-poker!

Thanked 8,729 Times in 2,189 Posts

Tell the interviewer that you and those in your Militia Survivalist Prepper group are concerned with the Obama death squads and you swear you're being followed. Then hand him a copy of the Turner Diaries and bid him Sieg Heil while smiting yourself on the chest.

I heard it worked for a guy.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TheMonsantoPlanto For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 03:44 PM
Prepared

Fact is you most likely are not going to get approved unless you are ultra wealthy. Self defense is only allowed for the elite and state sponsored law enforcement in California.
The Following User Says Thank You to swatpup102 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 04:39 PM
Don't start no mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatpup102 View Post
Fact is you most likely are not going to get approved unless you are ultra wealthy. Self defense is only allowed for the elite and state sponsored law enforcement in California.
Now this is a prime example of a troll statement.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Revision For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 05:23 PM
Hiker

Quote:

What county? That makes a huge difference. Self defense is not a "good cause" for some sheriffs.

Screeno, that's actually the fact of it in many counties in CA. No troll about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daelith For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 05:42 PM
Don't start no mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daelith View Post
Screeno, that's actually the fact of it in many counties in CA. No troll about it.
Ah, but that is not what was stated, is it? It may be that way in some counties, but far (and I do mean far) from it in other counties. So the all-inclusive statement looked like a troll to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Revision For This Useful Post: