Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Packaging & Preparing freezable reheatable meals like store bought microwave meals tankman1989 Recipes 3 09-26-2013 02:09 PM
You are down to your last few meals........ ACJB12 Food and water 47 12-19-2012 12:07 AM
Meals in a Jar dethmaul Food and water 6 08-02-2012 10:22 AM
best meals to can Jeans Food and water 20 07-16-2012 05:44 PM
Meals in a Jar Belifend Food and water 41 04-25-2012 12:54 PM
Meals... What do you eat? Need advice... Reason General Discussion 4 03-05-2011 08:04 AM
Meals or Calories ? Robert_Neville Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 02-19-2011 02:59 AM
Last Meals GENT General Discussion 24 05-10-2010 03:07 PM
What do you think of nutrisystem meals? emclo Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 06-22-2009 05:17 PM
Heater Meals northeast nc Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 6 05-14-2009 02:44 PM

Old 08-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Christian

Thanked 50,621 Times in 21,632 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Advertise Here

did a simple search on retort canning and came up with this U tube vid.

Looks interesting;

Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Saint For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Peas and Carrots!

Thanked 132,141 Times in 31,035 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

The least expensive retort canner I could find anywhere is over a thousand dollars. A decent looking quality and options looks like it starts at about $2200.

The user who mentioned retort canning (canning in pouches) mentioned "a canner."

It is important for anyone considering canning in pouches be aware it is not something you can do in a standard canner. That was my point, not that it can't be done, but that it is not an easy or even vaguely inexpensive method of food storage.

It also will not address the meals-in-a-jar information request of the OP. There is an active thread in the General Preparedness section on retort canning.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Christian

Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mels thinkingitover View Post
The least expensive retort canner I could find anywhere is over a thousand dollars. A decent looking quality and options looks like it starts at about $2200.

The user who mentioned retort canning (canning in pouches) mentioned "a canner."

It is important for anyone considering canning in pouches be aware it is not something you can do in a standard canner. That was my point, not that it can't be done, but that it is not an easy or even vaguely inexpensive method of food storage.

It also will not address the meals-in-a-jar information request of the OP. There is an active thread in the General Preparedness section on retort canning.
oh I just started one as well...

But I guess if one has the money it can be done in the home.

You have to admit that's a nice vacuum sealer this guy has.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Saint For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Peas and Carrots!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
oh I just started one as well...

But I guess if one has the money it can be done in the home.

You have to admit that's a nice vacuum sealer this guy has.
Very nice indeed. My fear was that someone would see the info. as mentioned and think they could toss some of the bags in their canner at home.

I never want to have to read in the "Post-SHTF Report" an article about how many people were killed by wet-canning in mylar bags with a pressure canner.

I think it's fine that you started a thread. A centralized place where people can get appropriate information would be wonderful.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Christian

Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Quote:
Very nice indeed. My fear was that someone would see the info. as mentioned and think they could toss some of the bags in their canner at home.

I never want to have to read in the "Post-SHTF Report" an article about how many people were killed by wet-canning in mylar bags with a pressure canner.

I think it's fine that you started a thread. A centralized place where people can get appropriate information would be wonderful.
understanding all aspects of canning is a good thing.

The biggest dis-advantage I can see with this technology is that one cannot reuse the pouches.

with canning jars all you need is a new lid.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Saint For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2013, 12:26 PM

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/vacm...g.com+Campaign for the chamber sealer. add your American canner, say $250, pouches $50. under $1k

I can't understand why you think this is magic. the chaber sealer is required because it has the best sealing bar and external bag sealer, aka seal a meal etc cant melt the pouches enough to seal properly. I cold pack my chicken (uncooked) and cook my chili, let it cool (can't seal and vac hot food) in the pouch then cook in the canner just like jars for 60 minutes.

But if you think this is hard or costly it isn't for you but doesn't mean it doesn't work for others. I have eaten chicken that I canned in the pouch that was two years old was fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to finishman2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
understanding all aspects of canning is a good thing.

The biggest dis-advantage I can see with this technology is that one cannot reuse the pouches.

with canning jars all you need is a new lid.
it's about convenience and weight. no need to worry about broken glass in your bug out bag or backpack while camping etc. when I can I do both jars and pouches.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:

anyone who puts up food for storage without researching the proper method is an idiot. I tested as I went. try a pouch of chicken at 3 months, 6 months and a year. I have eaten it at 2 years new and still good.
last but bot least is you won't be able to just throw a mylar bag in canner. they will explode in the canner.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
did a simple search on retort canning and came up with this U tube vid.

Looks interesting;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG_TrqcyYBc
there ya go now that you seen it on youtube it is real.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:42 PM
Christian

Awards Showcase
Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishman2000 View Post
there ya go now that you seen it on youtube it is real.
calm down Jr. I started another thread on it.

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=313067

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Saint For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2013, 09:39 PM

Default Lots of Jar or Mylar pack meals from food storage & How to.

http://cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.co...od-recipe.html

I have only tried the "Country Sausage, Hash Brown and Pepper-Cheese Scrambled Egg Breakfast Skillet" Really like it. Ova easy brand eggs definitely make a difference in the taste.

Chef Tess also publishes a book of food storage Jar recipes - but almost all the recipes are on her blog.

Warning: Most of her recipes call for her own brand of spice mixes $$$. You can just substitute your own blends.
The Following User Says Thank You to scopa02 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2013, 10:07 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,026 Times in 3,984 Posts

I want to do some of these in mylar... but everything I read says to not do them with high humidity. What would be considered a reasonable level. With all the rain this summer we've been around 90% every time I've checked. I don't have AC at home, so that isn't an option.
The Following User Says Thank You to yelruh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2013, 08:39 PM
MHAF

Quote:
just wondering...how are you purging?

The plan is to use a food saver and an O2 absorber.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:43 PM
MHAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitraiser View Post
One thing to think about. I dont like using the O2 absorber packs because they are a chemical and I dont like putting any form of chemical in my food. The O2 absorber packs, absorber the O2 and then all that is left is nitrogen. So I got a bottle of N2 from a welding shop and purge my bags and jars with nitrogen. That way in several years I can open the food up and there are no chemicals in my food.

I did look into Nitrogen. The O2 absorber packs are made out of simple materials mixed in the right concentration! The O2 absorber packs are just normal sea salt and iron filings. When these two are combined they will form iron oxide or in other words rust. No chemicals and as long as it stays in the bag there is no problem.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RealCoolDude For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2013, 08:59 PM
MHAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelruh View Post
I want to do some of these in mylar... but everything I read says to not do them with high humidity. What would be considered a reasonable level. With all the rain this summer we've been around 90% every time I've checked. I don't have AC at home, so that isn't an option.
If you are worried about moisture you could always add one of these to your bags to get rid of it! http://www.sorbentsystems.com/desiccantcapsules.html
Old 08-08-2013, 09:02 PM
MHAF

Quote:
it's about convenience and weight. no need to worry about broken glass in your bug out bag or backpack while camping etc. when I can I do both jars and pouches.
I will be canning as well as making the mylar bags. The bags are for short term on the move survival and camping. The Jars will be at my location when I get there with some at home for a bug in situation. There is a reason for both imo.

I will not be bagging any wet items! so there is no reason for that. Id just jar any of that stuff!
The Following User Says Thank You to RealCoolDude For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2013, 01:07 PM
Consciously Optimistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealCoolDude View Post
The plan is to use a food saver and an O2 absorber.
Believe it or not, food saver plastic is not nearly air tight to be long term. From the research i've done it's not a great option. Mylar and O2 are the way to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to ParsedOut For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParsedOut View Post
Believe it or not, food saver plastic is not nearly air tight to be long term. From the research i've done it's not a great option. Mylar and O2 are the way to go.
I just cut open and shot ammo I packed in 1988. how much longer do you want the bags to last lol?
Old 08-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Peas and Carrots!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
I just cut open and shot ammo I packed in 1988. how much longer do you want the bags to last lol?
The nutritional value of ammo is neglible. The reason for actually using mylar and O2 absorbers would be to preserve the food - texture, nutrition, and flavor.

You are comparing apples and bath towels. You can't even say apples and oranges because they, at least, are both foods.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2013, 04:38 PM

Chickpea curry would work nicely. You could use dried chickpeas instead of canned.
I love that stuff. Rice cooked with some canned coconut milk and dried fruit is a nice side for it.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chickpea-curry/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4meandthem For This Useful Post: