Fed considering rate cut. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Revolution period tax rate vs current tax rate Jamesconn Financial Forum 25 09-26-2013 12:16 PM
Obama wants to make 28% corporate tax rate, 40% small business tax rate no_fair_fights Financial Forum 20 08-01-2013 02:23 PM
Rate my First Aid kit! MrSlacker Health, Fitness and First Aid 19 12-26-2012 02:06 AM
Rate This First-Aid Kit Arsenul Health, Fitness and First Aid 9 05-13-2012 11:03 PM
What if our literacy rate were as low as our financial literacy rate? Harmless Drudge Financial Forum 20 06-05-2011 12:14 PM
rate this bug out bag FarmerJohn General Discussion 13 09-27-2010 08:08 PM
Please rate my first aid kit sniperfx General Discussion 16 06-29-2010 08:51 PM
LA's crime rate dips to lowest rate in 50 years; homicides down more than 18 percent FXjohn Controversial News and Alternative Politics 49 01-17-2010 07:46 AM
My GHB...Please rate Blangkang Urban Survival 21 11-01-2009 02:07 PM

Old 10-26-2008, 03:18 PM

Default Fed considering rate cut.

Advertise Here

Quote:
WASHINGTON – As the economic wreckage piles dangerously higher, the Federal Reserve is prepared to ratchet down interest rates — perhaps to their lowest point in more than four years — with the hope of relieving some of the pain felt by many Americans.

The convergence of a housing collapse and a lockup in lending has created the worst financial crisis in more than a half-century. Alan Greenspan, who ran the Fed for 18 1/2 years, called it a "once-in-a century credit tsunami," and conceded that he made mistakes that may have aggravated the economy's slump.

With a recession seen as inevitable, if not already under way, any Fed rate cut would be aimed at cushioning the fallout.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081026/...interest_rates

One gets the sense that they are 'grasping at straws' at this juncture.

Last edited by Lady Falconessa; 10-27-2008 at 03:16 AM..
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2008, 03:26 PM
I love this forum

Lady? it would help if you (as well as anyone else) would post part of the article as a teaser in order for us with land line to see if it is worth while our time to download the whole thing........... thanks.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:31 PM

On a high-speed connection, the article opens up at 'lightning speed', with a simple click.

How much easier can it possibly get??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2008, 03:49 PM
I love this forum

I have land line........regular telephone wires with no high speed... can't get no slower than that hahahahahahahahahha.

As a matter of fact, I keep a book by my side wich I read while downloading something that I would like to see..........welcome to the nowhere in the state of Oregon

If you see any smoke signals in the horizon then that would me me with no WWW and trying to talk to you people..........
Old 10-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Information is Ammunition

Thanked 27,044 Times in 10,520 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Outstanding Firearms Post Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 5

grasping at straws my ass. I think this is pretty much on schedule...
Old 10-26-2008, 04:03 PM
BowHunter

Thanked 1,968 Times in 862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponce View Post
I have land line........regular telephone wires with no high speed... can't get no slower than that hahahahahahahahahha.

As a matter of fact, I keep a book by my side wich I read while downloading something that I would like to see..........welcome to the nowhere in the state of Oregon

If you see any smoke signals in the horizon then that would me me with no WWW and trying to talk to you people..........
come on Ponce,kick them squirrels in the rear,don't need any more smoke
Old 10-26-2008, 04:05 PM
AKA The Dragon

Thanked 1,971 Times in 957 Posts

Just a question.
What is the current interest rate and how low can they go?
Old 10-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Target Shooter

It's currently at 1.5%. I would guess the lowest it could go is 0% but not sure if there is a mechanism to stop it before it gets to that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedragon View Post
Just a question.
What is the current interest rate and how low can they go?
The Following User Says Thank You to wvsurvivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2008, 05:23 PM

Encouraging debt through artificially low rates is a major part of what has gotten us where we are today. They need to stop the insanity, but alas, they won't, so hold on to your hat. It seems we are destined for hyper-inflation.
The Following User Says Thank You to tennesseetrouter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,005 Times in 303 Posts

Great! I was waiting for them to put another band-aid on the gunshot wound...
Old 10-26-2008, 08:10 PM

Default exactly!

Does any one else see this as someones step by step plan to change the way this country works? Orwell anyone?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spooktacular For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2008, 09:19 PM
Watchin tha world go by

Thanked 8,887 Times in 3,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Falconessa View Post
On a high-speed connection, the article opens up at 'lightning speed', with a simple click.

How much easier can it possibly get??
some of us unfortunate country folks are still, well not so modernized yet.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Deo VIndice

Thanked 4,135 Times in 2,391 Posts

LBB's...gotta love 'em.

I'm many miles from the nearest town, yet in rural Ga. I have high speed. But I was a LBB for many years, so I guess I can't talk!

(Low bandwidth ba#$%ard)
Old 10-26-2008, 10:26 PM
I love this forum

[QUOTE=Sweeper;321719]come on Ponce,kick them squirrels in the rear,don't need any more smoke [/QUOTE

Hey, hey, don't talk that way about my food to be........I hope that they taste like racoon meat.....or even as dog as far as that goes.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:50 PM
BowHunter

Thanked 1,968 Times in 862 Posts

[quote=Ponce;322289]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
come on Ponce,kick them squirrels in the rear,don't need any more smoke [/QUOTE

Hey, hey, don't talk that way about my food to be........I hope that they taste like racoon meat.....or even as dog as far as that goes.
Aw,you'll like them little buggers if they eat acorn's,if they are in the pines,might as well eat a tree!! I've had both,one was near the worst,one near best.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:21 AM

If you watched the news this evening you might have caught the Former Fed chairman talking to the reporters who cornered him on the deregulation issue. He said clearly that the Clintons and the Fed made the move along with our worthless congress and allowed all the rules to be lifted from Wall Street. They took bets and even invested in who would ruin the market and the economy. This really took place when the Bushwhacker got in office. They took bets on America it was aginst the law for years until Clinton and the Fed who was the most powerful group in Washington got congress to vote yes on a bill to F--K America over. Traitors every last one of them. And no one is going to do anything but talk and sit and watch it all come undone waiting for your savior Obama or McCain to make it all better. I say we all get together and have a meeting face to face in a small town in Colorado this spring anybody with me on this. If you say yes we need to start recruiting everyone from every state and bring them all together and make a show of who we are and that we want our country back. We need a million man rally.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponce View Post

OK Ponce, will do.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
some of us unfortunate country folks are still, well not so modernized yet.
No problem, my friend. Glad to oblige.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:35 AM

Default Ron Paul

Seems like every thing he said about the bail out is on target so far. He said it needed to correct and this would only make it worse. Man I hate uppity business men. There should be some kind of law that you physically have to work in your own business and can not just speculate and invest and make money,basically making money out of thin air or because of inflation or sit and hold, stock market mentality!! GRRRR . Well at least for ten years and then you can be manager., I think that this is the major reason for this collapse,. Too many pencil pushers . Do not know what people do here for a living but I am just mad. I really think that this is one of the major under lying problems with the country and to what it has evolved to
Old 10-27-2008, 08:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,963 Times in 2,023 Posts

This mess was not caused by any one specific event and therefore cannot be undone, or helped, with any one specific cause. The current velocity of money is 0 which is why there is such a disconnect between Main Street and Wall Street. Main Street is about to feel the full brunt of the credit mess. Interest rate cuts by The Fed are not meant, at this time, to do anything in the short run for the common man but are aimed specifically at that short end of the yield curve which is such a crucial part of how banks make money, ie their net interest margin.

Since banks borrow short to lend long, the lower we take the overnight lending rate, the more "encouraged" the banks are to make those small business loans, etc. This is an effort to loosen up the banks to take in the capital provided by the Treasury and lend it out to Main Street before it gets really, really ugly.

All in all there is a very little chance for hyper-inflation at this time but it will be very, very interesting to see how quickly they take the punch bowl away when the economy signals signs of a turnaround (or if they will "at all").