Why Buy MRE's? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-18-2012, 09:53 AM

Advertise Here

In reply to the original poster.. MRE's have a place and time in preps. Yes, they are expensive and no they are not the perfect solution. I stock MRE's, can goods both small and #10, mylar, & buckets. No right or wrong answer, do what's best for YOU. If I need to bug out quick, throwing a case of MRE's in the car is pretty easy & compact. If I'm staying in place, those can goods are pretty tasty.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to hrdrock2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2012, 11:14 AM

I have an unopened case and would not mine a few more.

IMO, they have a place and sure could come in handy in an emergency.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:24 AM
Old guy who plans ahead

Thanked 3,971 Times in 1,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel4Torque View Post
Why waste money on an MRE? ...You can buy healthier food that will last just as long at your local groery store for a fraction of the cost. So again I ask, why the hell would you buy an MRE?
Because, its a lot more fun to eat an MRE, while pretending you are a Navy SEAL, holed up in a hide site, fifty miles behind enemy lines, with the fate of the free world riding on your shoulders...

...instead of admitting to yourself, that you are just a loser, dressed up in tacticool military surplus gear, hiding in your own basement, during a "survival" moment.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Staxx For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Prepared

so mean. why?
Old 04-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,468 Times in 830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TcCoVeN View Post
MRE's are a convenient addition to a 72hr GHB. But when it's all said and done, it's more about the convenience of purchasing something already created, even at the additional cost, than putting forth the effort to put together something better.

Besides, they have those cool printed pouches and little cardboard boxes and come with those neat little heaty thingies, oh, and peanut butter in a pouch. Unfortunately, they no longer come with a Kool and Marlboro, a pack of matches and a packet of chicklets.

Ahh, the good old days.....
OK, I know how old you are now!!!!!
Old 04-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Gone for Good

Thanked 4,567 Times in 1,889 Posts

I'm not a big spender but I don't think $6 for a meal is expensive. I've found GI MRE's for a lot less than that if I look in the right places. We keep a few months supply of MRE's because it gives us a compact,fast and easy meal if we are in the brush away from the house. I prefer the military versions and find the civvie ones are a bit light for this big guy.

I guess you would have to eat some of the nasty greasy C ration meals to appreciate the new MRE's. I did like the old green bag LURP rations with the cornflake bars.

If we have to go someplace quick on the ATV's or pickup its a lot easier to throw a case or two of MRE's on the vehicle and go. I can only imagine all the time and effort I would waste putting together a weeks meals for us. MRE's are my rural fast food resource and cost won't even be a consideration.

MRE's aren't our only long term food items we have plenty of grains,freeze dried,dehydrated, home & factory canned,fresh food sources from our gardens,animals etc. I believe in using every food type and using all options not limiting myself to the cheapest.

Red
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedWoods For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2012, 08:12 PM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 36,572 Times in 14,439 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Who thought of putting a hard box of five cigarettes into a ration anyway?
The Following User Says Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,911 Times in 789 Posts

Phillip-Morris?
The Following User Says Thank You to arizonafusilier For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2012, 09:50 AM
Don't drink the water

Quote:
So this is just my opinion to play the devils advocate, if nothing else. Feel free to argue otherwise :-) . Why waste money on an MRE? First of all, after eating like 6 billion MRE meals in the field and over seas I can say that they officially suck and you never get any damn jalapeno cheddar cheese spread, ever. Secondly, each one has at least 2000 calories per bag, which is the average Americans entire caloric intake for the whole day. So, if you are not constantly engaged in rigorous activity, they will make you fat. And finally, after searching for prices online, I have found that they are expensive. You can buy healthier food that will last just as long at your local groery store for a fraction of the cost. So again I ask, why the hell would you buy an MRE?

We use them while kayak camping/fishing and usually do not eat all the items in the package.they are waterproof, store easily and last awhile in storage.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dcoates For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 09:02 PM
I sell US Military MRE's

Thanked 8,635 Times in 3,292 Posts

Current deals on Craigslist for cases of MRE's seem to be around $60 bucks. I placed an ad on Craigslist and just bought five cases at $45 bucks each, current production. Guy also threw in four singles for good measure. Nice things about MRE's is that you have everything in one water proof pouch. Toilet paper, matches, coffee, salt, pepper, etc, a complete high calorie meal. You can't put together a better complete package that heats itself for less than $4 bucks. Throw three or four in your BOB and your GTG.
The Following User Says Thank You to NHP1127 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2012, 09:18 PM
I sell US Military MRE's

Thanked 8,635 Times in 3,292 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberrant View Post
In what possible scenario is an MRE the right thing?

Because I can't think of one. Nearly every situation there is something better than an MRE. Better nutrition, better tasting, more lightweight (how far can you hike with your bug out bag?) cheaper, etc. etc.

I agree with the original poster. Vehicle kit where weight doesn't matter but portability is important maybe... But I would still take a home-cooked meal prepared from dried and canned ingredients of similar weight and calories any day of the week.
Situation? How about combat? I would like to know how you could make something more complete and less expensive than a $3.75 MRE. You gonna put instant quaker oaks and TP in a baggie and think they are better?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NHP1127 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 05:50 PM

Omg mega lol!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:51 PM
Not on our watch

Thanked 1,348 Times in 436 Posts

I agree that MRE's suck, but so does freeze dried and dehydrated food. I mean come on, its survival food, not restaurant food. Its not supposed to be tasty and wonderful. Its just supposed to keep you alive.
As far as the MRE's they are the best complete meal that have coffee, t.p. and matches as others have mentioned. If you really think you can make a better meal that lasts just as long for less money, might I suggest you bring it to market and make a few million off the government!

I keep a few in by BOB and in my car. They are also good for when the kids complain about whats for dinner! Bring thing back into perspective for them lol.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister X For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 07:23 PM

Default i have yitloads

the majority of my food stash is MRE's......i have full cases and a lot of entrees from the epicenter.com.....they are good for waaaayyyy past the stated date.....keeping them at 70 or below is the key.....the higher the temp , the quicker they go to ****.....even when they go to ****, they taste bad, but they are digestible.......the secret to surviving on MRE'S is copious amounts of water.....if you have lots of water to add to mre's, you are swinging.....
The Following User Says Thank You to bythebay For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Destroyer of Marxism.

Thanked 1,372 Times in 448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staxx View Post
Because, its a lot more fun to eat an MRE, while pretending you are a Navy SEAL, holed up in a hide site, fifty miles behind enemy lines, with the fate of the free world riding on your shoulders...

...instead of admitting to yourself, that you are just a loser, dressed up in tacticool military surplus gear, hiding in your own basement, during a "survival" moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer5513 View Post
so mean. why?
Projecting perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bythebay View Post
the majority of my food stash is MRE's......i have full cases and a lot of entrees from the epicenter.com.....they are good for waaaayyyy past the stated date.....keeping them at 70 or below is the key.....the higher the temp , the quicker they go to ****.....even when they go to ****, they taste bad, but they are digestible.......the secret to surviving on MRE'S is copious amounts of water.....if you have lots of water to add to mre's, you are swinging.....
I recently "acquired" several cases due to a logistical error, and I already had some stored up. I had 2 boxes that had "Inspect by" dates of Aug 06. They had been stored poorly, a few years in a garage, the rest in a climatized storage unit. They turned out fine, and are being consumed by a friend of mine facing hard times.

I have to maintain weight standards anyway, so I eat them only on hunting/camping trips. Since I get a few once a month no matter what I have a decent supply that could last my family for months if need be, not counting the canned goods we have.

For the most part I like them, ****ing them out is a part of nature and I'll tolerate whatever form that is. They're designed for convienence in a situation where your "shoot, move and communicate" skills are a priority. If there is lag time foraging and hunting operations can be conducted.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 11,009 Times in 3,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberrant View Post
In what possible scenario is an MRE the right thing?

Because I can't think of one. Nearly every situation there is something better than an MRE. Better nutrition, better tasting, more lightweight (how far can you hike with your bug out bag?) cheaper, etc. etc.

I agree with the original poster. Vehicle kit where weight doesn't matter but portability is important maybe... But I would still take a home-cooked meal prepared from dried and canned ingredients of similar weight and calories any day of the week.
Strange because I can think of several.

There's quite a few right in this thread.

Lack of imagination leads to all sorts of weak spots in your preps.

Maybe you can't imagine having to hoof it and bringing enough stuff to get where your going. Or the need to eat a 'good' hot meal when there's no way to start a fire, or that fire might give away your position.

I've got a case of them. Miniscule compared to all the other food I've got but I do see where they could come in handy.
The Following User Says Thank You to stephpd For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 09:42 AM
Hunter

Quote:
So this is just my opinion to play the devils advocate, if nothing else. Feel free to argue otherwise :-) . Why waste money on an MRE? First of all, after eating like 6 billion MRE meals in the field and over seas I can say that they officially suck and you never get any damn jalapeno cheddar cheese spread, ever. Secondly, each one has at least 2000 calories per bag, which is the average Americans entire caloric intake for the whole day. So, if you are not constantly engaged in rigorous activity, they will make you fat. And finally, after searching for prices online, I have found that they are expensive. You can buy healthier food that will last just as long at your local groery store for a fraction of the cost. So again I ask, why the hell would you buy an MRE?
2000 calories the avg caloric intake for the day. If that was True we wouldnt' have one of the most obese popluations in the world. But besides that the only reason I have MRE's are due to wait and space I don't really stock them but I do have some in case of natural disaster where I have to leave the house for a couple days.
The Following User Says Thank You to justincasesfo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Life's apprentice

I don't think you should stock on tons of these but they should be apart of everyone's food storage. As for taste I think they taste pretty good and lets not forget that this is suppose to be survival food not McDonalds. When you compare them to other foods like freeze dried they look very appetizing. Oh and I have eaten a ton of these as well when I was in the Army.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1WOLFE1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 09:48 AM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 7,165 Times in 3,373 Posts

People like MRE's because they "trust them".

"MREs are government issue to soldiers, so they must be good." The problem I have with them is that you don't know when it was made or will expire without opening them. Surprise, the case of food you just bought at $7/meal expired years ago!

"MREs are good to stock for barter, because they are self-sufficient". True, but barter a MRE to someone for a silver dollar and watch their reaction if it is bad.

"MREs last forever." Yeah sure, store one in the trunk of your car for two southern summers and go eat it. The truth is, the only "genuine" MREs that are on the market are there because the military inspectors threw them out.

Strangely enough, "conventional wisdom" is that MREs taste better than freeze dried. NOT! I gave away my stock of MREs to a friend a while back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 7,165 Times in 3,373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WOLFE1 View Post
I don't think you should stock on tons of these but they should be apart of everyone's food storage. As for taste I think they taste pretty good and lets not forget that this is suppose to be survival food not McDonalds. When you compare them to other foods like freeze dried they look very appetizing. Oh and I have eaten a ton of these as well when I was in the Army.
Compare MREs to Mountain Mouse side by side in a taste test. You will find that the MH is half of the price per serving, tastes better, is much lighter, and stores much longer.