Choosing Knives - Info for beginners to knives - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remaking kitchen knives into new knives. CrypticCRICKET Knives, Swords & Axes 27 10-18-2015 04:12 AM
Winkler Knives II Belt Knives - Ultimate survival Knife uberknives For Sale 0 10-20-2014 12:15 AM
Winkler Knives WKII Striker - Ultimate Survival Knives uberknives For Sale 0 10-17-2014 06:05 PM
Anyone have info on these knives? (NWTF SPONSOR ONLY Knives) Red31 Knives, Swords & Axes 3 05-09-2013 03:46 AM
Fighting knives vs. woodcraft knives. Ghilleman Knives, Swords & Axes 3 01-19-2012 12:07 PM
Crawford Knives, 11 Neck Knives Reviewed 2brothersadventures Knives, Swords & Axes 2 03-26-2011 07:42 PM
Fighting Knives and Survival Knives forrestdweller Knives, Swords & Axes 52 03-18-2011 12:28 AM
Knives, glorious knives! Philo Knives, Swords & Axes 8 04-11-2009 08:16 PM
emergency knives / EMT knives Gisys Knives, Swords & Axes 7 02-28-2009 07:50 AM
Making Knives from Knives kajunman1 Knives, Swords & Axes 2 12-10-2008 02:37 PM

Old 08-21-2011, 10:19 AM
The European Outdoorsman

Default Choosing Knives - Info for beginners to knives

Advertise Here

Seeing a ton of recent new knife nuts here inspired me to make this video to educate some on my thoughts of what and how to find a good knife for your needs.

Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kingpin44 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Trapper

Good video, I lol'd when you mentioned and re mentioned the splitting of the wood. Haha, some people on here will still fight you to the death that they can make 1 inch kindling with their ax.

Dont totally agree with the manufactures though. Of course theres a lot more, but theres many european knife manufactures that offer excellent knives. Helle, fallkniven to name a few. Also you should of mentioned that cold steel and buck do not make all their knives in the US, especially cold steel. Isnt your ak made in taiwan?

Also, the japanese are excellent blade smiths, many of their steels are top in the knife world (vg10 for example). I agree that we should buy american as much as possible, but there are damn good quality knives out there from around the world.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drkknight614 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2011, 11:47 AM
The European Outdoorsman

You are definitely right about the manufacturers although, I do not own a Fallkniven and I am interested in their knives, but, personally, I haven't used them so I wouldn't recommend it only because I am lacking knowledge of their capabilities.

The Ak is made in Taiwan, but still boasts a damn strong lock. Not all Taiwan made things are well made. Generally, buying from those manufacturers will yield good results.

Like I said, just my take on things. Thanks for watching too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2011, 05:23 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,198 Times in 559 Posts

Sigh! Another video that will give the newbie all the wrong info to start out with.

I've carried a knife since I was ten so over 60 years I've had all sorts of cutlery in my hands or pockets.

You'll have to forgive this old timer but the best "starter" knife is a slip joint stockman or trapper. None of this wonder knife crap. A slip joint will teach the newbie what a knife is really for and how to use a knife in day to day life.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,609 Times in 1,201 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to make the video.

Cliff
Old 08-21-2011, 08:10 PM
Answer Is No

Good video but I'm surprised that no one at your BBQ could make fine kindling with an axe, but maybe all the knife hype has made it a lost art-the knowledge that you can choke up just under the axe head and do some very nice detail work.
Don't get me wrong, I've used knives for the same tasks but in reality they frequently offer no advantage over a quality hatchet or axe.
Good video with good information.
Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to Turtlewolf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2011, 11:37 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 9,305 Times in 4,625 Posts

The problem with people telling you what you should choose is that opnions are subjective.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:29 AM
The European Outdoorsman

Why would I take an axe, when I can make fine kindling with an ESEE 3?

You could find small enough pieces of wood to split with a 3 or 4 inch knife IMO...

Just saying...Axes are nice, but I don't need one...And really, a newbie isn't really going to rationalize paying $75+ for an axe instead of around 50 for a cool looking knife. Not my point of view, just reality...
Old 08-22-2011, 08:18 AM

Quote:
You'll have to forgive this old timer but the best "starter" knife is a slip joint stockman or trapper.
I somewhat agree, but with no lock I worry the blade would disengage. I've been using a stockman for a while now, and love it, but if I was teaching a kid I'd use either a fixed blade or lock folder first, then go to the slipjoint?
The Following User Says Thank You to yo mama For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2011, 10:55 AM
Answer Is No

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin44 View Post
Why would I take an axe, when I can make fine kindling with an ESEE 3?

You could find small enough pieces of wood to split with a 3 or 4 inch knife IMO...

Just saying...Axes are nice, but I don't need one...And really, a newbie isn't really going to rationalize paying $75+ for an axe instead of around 50 for a cool looking knife. Not my point of view, just reality...
You said an axe was already there but they could not make fine kindling with it, my point was just that I was surprised that no one could when it's so easy. I agree that a newbie is not going to want an axe/hatchet but it isn't because of the lack of usefullness of the tool, it's because they haven't been exposed to them or they are basing thier "information" on so called "wisdom" off the net.
You also don't need to spend $75+ for an axe/hatchet to get a good servicable tool. That also is missinformation. Fiskers are a lot cheaper than that, carve very well and are very durable. Recently I've had a ton of company in the back yard so we've had a lot of fires and that gave me the opportunity to test the fine kindling making abilitys of my Fisker Hatchet vs my Kabar Khukri and my various 3-5" knives.
In all honesty the only one that had a disadvantage when making fine kindling was my Khukri and that was merely because of the massive amount of forward wieght distribution. The flatness of the handle of my Byrd Cara Cara 2 gave me a bit of greaf as well but like you I use my tools hard before I trust them and the Byrd has inspired the same confidence in me as your AK47 has in you, they will do 85-90% of what a good 3-5" fixed blade knife will.
I do agree that a 3"-5" knife (fixed or locking) is more likely to be owned and carryed than a hatchet and they all perform very similar jobs in the end with very similar energy expenditure.
But to say that you can't make fine kindling with an axe/hatchet is just plane wrong, it is not more difficult either, it is just less likely to happen as many people either are ignorant of thier uses or beleive all the knife hype and ignore this very versatile tool.
Personaly I'll be using both depending on the situation I'm in and like both tools.
Like I said, good video over all.
Cheers
Old 08-22-2011, 01:46 PM
The European Outdoorsman

No, I see where you are coming from and I guess it is all a different way of doing things. I had a discussion about the word "different" with my wife. It to me has no other meaning (good or bad), just not the same.

Different styles are not a problem. I know a Wetterlings axe is somewhere around $75 bucks and I know those are good, so that is the price I was quoting.

As for a Gerber/Fiskars, I have no experience on them...And this just shows that more than one tool is probably the optimum choice, hence, the purpose part of the video...There is no knife or cutting tool that does every cutting task the best.

Thanks for watching!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingpin44 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Hunter

If we stop for a moment & think about it,don't you all think it's good that we can see the MANY different ways people do things?
We're even more fortunate that there are people willing to take the time & effort to share their thoughts with us about how they do those things.

I'm sure there are a lot of great ideas out there that don't get shared because some folks just don't want to deal with all the arguing that goes on afterwards.

We don't all have to use the same tools or methods to get the same job done.
It doesn't make anybody wrong if they do things differently than you or I do & I certainly appreciate seeing they videos & reading the responses they generate.
Thanks again for the video.
Even though I don't do everything the same as in the video,I respect the fact that those are his preferred methods & he makes them work.

Cliff
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cliff Nieporte For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Answer Is No

I didn't think we were argueing, we were simply discussing the merits of different tools and I think we both probably learned something. I know I certainly did not intend to cause an issue.
The video was good, I simply wanted to point out one small flaw as I saw it that realy isn't relevent to 90% of people realy but that I still saw as important.
Cheers
The Following User Says Thank You to Turtlewolf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2011, 07:33 PM
Hunter

As an axe user,I would have to agree with your take on that.

The good thing about these threads,at least for me,is that after reading it,I actually went out back to the woods & split up a bunch of wood with an axe & with a knife.
Both ways worked for me & it got me out of the house for a little while.
So now I have plenty of tinder & kindling for my next fire too.
It's all good!!! We like doing this stuff...right?

Cliff
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff Nieporte For This Useful Post: