Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diesel or kerosene for burning a tree stump kev Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 55 05-10-2018 07:23 AM
Where do you buy kerosene? SnakeRanch Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 40 09-16-2015 06:02 PM
Can you use red dyed diesel in an indoor kerosene heater Jamesconn Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 34 02-01-2015 03:25 PM
Long term storable fuel in chainsaw... diesel, kerosene, white gas? foley96 DIY - Do It Yourself 29 08-07-2014 07:16 AM
Using Kerosene in a diesel engine BuellerBueller Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 35 06-21-2014 01:19 PM
Kerosene and diesel fuel? rgswaim Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 19 11-26-2013 09:43 AM
Is kerosene on the way out? reb4life Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 25 12-18-2012 06:50 AM
Diesel v kerosene bfree Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 5 12-29-2010 12:32 PM
kerosene Tugger General Discussion 5 12-08-2010 08:53 PM
Stockpiling Fuel. . .Gas, Diesel or Bio-Diesel. . .Possibly Propane? NATIVEDUDE Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 01-25-2009 09:17 PM

Old 10-19-2010, 04:03 AM
Prepared

Default Kerosene in Diesel

Advertise Here

Does putting kerosene in diesel make it last longer. Do I need a certain
kind of kerosene or will paraffin do?
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2010, 04:18 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,567 Times in 1,524 Posts

If I remember correctly, after Hurricane Ivan struck our area a few years ago, people were using kerosene in their vehicles. BUT I think they were having to also use some kind of additive to 'tone it down'. Straight kerosene is not good for especially the newer engines. You would be better off trying to get off-road (dyed) diesel for farm equipment. Just dont get caught using it in a vehicle. Its a nasty high fine if you do. For a SHTF it will work (in pre 07 or 08 engines), the state of FL even suspended the law in our area after the hurricane because we has so much trouble getting fuel for 3 months.

If your engine is one of the low sulfur types, youre taking some chances with the engine using either one. You would be better off investing in a used cooking oil kit. I hear those can produce fuel at less than a dollar gallon.

Edit: Dug this up... $.70/gal versus $3,000. How long would it take you to recover the cost?
http://www.homebiodieselkits.com/hobikit.html
Old 10-20-2010, 09:24 AM

Are you asking what additives you need to store diesel for future use?
The Following User Says Thank You to maxny For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxny View Post
Are you asking what additives you need to store diesel for future use?
No, I'm being very loose with my English.
Can I dilute my diesel with kerosene so that I only use say 90% or 80% diesel?
Old 10-20-2010, 09:49 AM
I hate everyone equally !

It depends on what type of engine/engines you have ! In a older diesel it will work without doubt and if its a newer diesel of military type like Steyr or the one General electric made for the military humwe/hmmw

But if you have a new diesel of commercial type and common rail tech you can forget the idea ( sure 1 to 5 % would propobly work but its not what i would recomend )

First of all the new type of fuelfilters you have will get cloaked with parrafin ( the old type of filters you could take apart and get clean again with a knife ) Second is that the fuel have differnt energyvalue and if your enginecontrolunit is not programmed ( mapped ) for it , it will cause your engine to work in a way its not constructed for

If you were smart you lay your hands on wankel engine it will run on anything that contains oil or alcohol
The Following User Says Thank You to Tankspridd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2010, 07:44 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 37,457 Times in 10,373 Posts

Fuel suppliers in cold areas of the country offer winter mix diesel fuel, which is a mixture of no. 2 diesel and kerosene. I have run it with good results in a VW rabbit diesel and my Cummins diesel pickup.

Kerosene is the same kind of long chain paraffin molecule as diesel, simple shorter by 6-8 carbon atoms. Since it is shorter, it remains liquid at lower temps and it provides less energy when burned.

I suppose you might get into trouble trying to burn it in a new computer chipped diesel engine since it contains less energy. I don't know since my Cummins is 22 years old.
Old 10-21-2010, 02:39 PM
I hate everyone equally !

Modern Winter diesel have a kind of glycol in it instead of kerosene ? atleast where i live

But as said a oldschool diesel can take whatever you throw at it its the new ones that are sensetive

pure diesel ( regular diesel witch is disel mixed veg oil ) anyway becomes something like gel if its to cold

But there is one thing that is called arctic diesel and thats kerosene with a mix of lubricants that dont sc*ews up the pump and filter
The Following User Says Thank You to Tankspridd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2010, 01:03 PM

Is the engine you want to use this mix in an older non computer controlled engine or a new engine? If it's an older engine you can mix some kerosene without any problems. You can mix in some 2 cycle oil to increase lubricity.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Trapper

they use kerosene to keep diesel from gelling up in colder weather, or they have some new chemical, but that chemical doesnt work as well
Old 10-23-2010, 07:31 AM
Learning

Thanked 6,654 Times in 3,112 Posts

Why do you want to dilute diesel with kerosene? Kerosene is normally much more expensive...

Explain to us a little bit more clearly what you are wanting to do and we will try to help you out.

If you are in a survival situation burn whatever oil you can find, including kerosene in your late model diesel engine vehicle. In newer vehicles with more computers, you will have to have a much higher concentration of regular diesel.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:12 PM
My Temperature is Right

Thanked 4,212 Times in 2,328 Posts

It works in the winter as it lowers the jell temp of diesel fuel, and also cold diesel is not as reactive so a little kerosene help the engine run normally in extreme cold. You don't want to do that in warm weather as kerosene is not as lubricious as diesel and will tear up your injectipn pump and injectors. So your fuel savings will be eaten up by maintenance costs. Had a friend who ran his VW turbo diesel on free JP-4 for all of three months, cosT $3000 to replace the engine. Drove like Porche till the day it died though.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Have gun,will travel

Thanked 7,369 Times in 2,820 Posts

Kerosene is simply Diesel #1. You can run on it, but like cranky said, it is harder on injection pumps. Winter blend diesel in the states I've lived in is 50/50 DF#1 and #2. In fact, in the northern Rockies and Alaska, you don't have a choice. In Oct/Nov the gas stations switch to winter blend thru spring. The only tangible downside is Diesel #1 is less efficient (produces less BTU's) so the mileage go down a bit. As far as lubricity issues, I just run Howe's Diesel Treat or Powerservice to boost the cetane, keep injectors clean, lower the gelling temp and replace the lost lubricity due to the Diesel #1.

JP8 and JP4 are also useable, but have even less lubricity than Kerosene, so I can see it damaging an injection pump. The military goes thru injection pumps like crazy in the desert, primarily because everything is running on JP8...
The Following User Says Thank You to *Paladin* For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2010, 10:32 PM

Alberta had a diesel shortage a couple of years ago. My employer, an oilfield service company found 100,000 litres of summer diesel and mixed it 50/50 with keroscene, they also added diesel conditioner. This got of through the shortage so we could keep fracing! It worked for us.....
Old 10-28-2010, 12:36 AM
Grand Poobah of Sarcasm

Thanked 5,300 Times in 1,577 Posts

Kerosene is not #1 diesel. It is a different animal. Mostly you can mix kerosene, and jet fuels into diesel in small amounts 10% is a good rule of thumb.
Some engines have problems with dyed fuel because they use an electronic eye to moniter fuel flow.
The Following User Says Thank You to crankyfarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2010, 10:57 PM
Have gun,will travel

Thanked 7,369 Times in 2,820 Posts

For those of you that are interested in different diesel fuels:

http://www.inspectapedia.com/heat/Ty..._Oil_Fuels.htm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Paladin* For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacherboy View Post
Why do you want to dilute diesel with kerosene? Kerosene is normally much more expensive...

Explain to us a little bit more clearly what you are wanting to do and we will try to help you out.

If you are in a survival situation burn whatever oil you can find, including kerosene in your late model diesel engine vehicle. In newer vehicles with more computers, you will have to have a much higher concentration of regular diesel.
I think they wanted to know if you could mix 50/50 K1 with diesel in a forced air heater to cut cost being K1 is so damn espensive here diesel 2.79 and K1 4.99 that's ridiculous
The Following User Says Thank You to BLT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2019, 01:42 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 15,696 Times in 4,828 Posts

Holy necro-thread Batman....9+ year old thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2019, 02:06 PM
Cross-eyed Target Shooter

Thanked 3,820 Times in 853 Posts

What about mixing a little gasoline with diesel in an engine? (older one)
Old 12-19-2019, 07:51 AM

It is an old thread but good question.

Mixing unleaded with diesel in an older, mechanical diesel, it has been done plenty. The main reason for doing so is lower the gel point.
You shouldn't go over 10%.

Gasoline is hard on injectors. Like Alcohol is. Use it as an emergency solution, not an everyday practice.
Old 12-23-2019, 06:12 AM
Hunter

the problem with diesel is not when it gels, it's when it separates into petrol water and kerosene

because the solid in diesel sinks the petrol and kerosene floats and the water sits between the 2 as water is denser than fuel

this is a by-product of when diesel is stored for a long time...