Best EDC bag for a car? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 11-18-2011, 07:30 AM

Default Best EDC bag for a car?

Advertise Here

Hi. What do you think it's the best EDC bag for a car? I think the best option is baby bags, in black color, with a huge space and pockets for our EDC things, and it not raises suspicions!!
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2011, 07:36 AM
Retired Army

Thanked 9,319 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duocorazones View Post
Hi. What do you think it's the best EDC bag for a car?
It would have to be a big one to hold a car .

Seriously, though, will it be in the trunk or in plain sight? Hopefully, out of sight but, if not I would go with something inconspicuous. But, if you had to leave the car it should be something durable.

I don't know how durable baby bags are but, black is a good idea. (I have this vision of a guy fighting his way to cover with big pink diaper bag embellished with Teddy bears hanging on his shoulder.)

Al
Old 11-18-2011, 07:46 AM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 10,580 Times in 3,898 Posts

I guess that depends on your perceived threats, etc....That pretty much, in my pea brain, governs what my kit is to be and cover....

That said, this kit stays in my auto at all times, and is augmented by seasonal clothing, but basically remains the same and will allow me to handle most, if not all, of the issues i may have to address, from simple minor medical issues, car breakdowns, to social breakdowns...

It is designed for one thing, to help me get home and manage along the way without suffering too much.....

I have since switched to a Med ALICE Pack......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020844.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	58328   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020845.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	58329   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020846.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	58330   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3187.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	58331   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3188.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	58332   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3189.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	58333  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3191.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	58334   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3192.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	58335  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2011, 07:58 AM
Survivor

Thanked 46,635 Times in 13,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYOP Soldier View Post
I guess that depends on your perceived threats, etc....That pretty much, in my pea brain, governs what my kit is to be and cover....

That said, this kit stays in my auto at all times, and is augmented by seasonal clothing, but basically remains the same and will allow me to handle most, if not all, of the issues i may have to address, from simple minor medical issues, car breakdowns, to social breakdowns...

It is designed for one thing, to help me get home and manage along the way without suffering too much.....

I have since switched to a Med ALICE Pack......
A get home CRATE!

Thats a good idea if you've got trunk space for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2011, 08:11 AM
Lux in Tenebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfire View Post
A get home CRATE!

Thats a good idea if you've got trunk space for it.
I'm fortunate...The crate has my misc auto breakdown stuff....Also, have replaced the pad with a simple 72 x 80 " moving pad, more useful and still allows for insulation.....

Even if the GHB was not in the trunk, I'd still manage any normal minor roadside emergencies ok with the crate stuff....

I travel all over the city/misc counties for my job, roving, self employed greedy, capitalistic, IT guy, can be in the city or way out in the country, back roads or major freeways.....

Heck, if something bad does happen to me or someone else, at least i'm not that guy that can't manage/help.....
Old 11-18-2011, 08:18 AM
Survivor

Thanked 15,969 Times in 8,474 Posts

I now have a small 20 litre bag if I need to leave the car.
Otherwise I have gear in the car. (More that I could reasonably carry). Mostly stored in a cooler.

I have tried a comprehensive GHB. (And i still use one) but I have found that I don't take it out for short trips and so almost have negated the point of having it in the first place.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:34 AM
Forever Vigilant

Thanked 4,342 Times in 1,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duocorazones View Post
Hi. What do you think it's the best EDC bag for a car? I think the best option is baby bags, in black color, with a huge space and pockets for our EDC things, and it not raises suspicions!!
You have not given any indication on what the purpose for the EDC is, other than to keep in your vehicle.

Do you plan to carry it from point A to point B? If so, how far would you have to go? How fast can you walk? What is your endurance? What kind of clothes might you be wearing? What kind of terrain might you be traversing? Is clean water readily available along your intended route? Are you in an urban area, rural, combination of both? Will you be carrying a firearm? If so, what kind? What are the carry laws in your AO? This list of questions can go on and on.

A shoulder type bag is fine to carry for a few hours, then the real fatigue will set in. If you have to run (for your life) a shoulder bag will become cumbersome, banging against your body and generally flailing about. The chances of losing the bag and its survival contents during a potential life-saving run are high. If you have to dive into cover, will the bag stand up to such abuse?

There are plenty of basic looking and durable backpacks on the market. A good backpack with quality padding, straps, material, stitching, and with plenty of internal and external pockets are available for such uses. When properly loaded and fitted to the person, carrying in this fashion is very secure. Running with a properly loaded and fitted pack will jeopardize your life far less than a shoulder bag, and diving for cover will not spill its contents.

You should also get a pack that can store and deploy an internal drinking bladder without having to take it off to get a drink. If you may find yourself having to walk more than 1-day (10-15 miles max for an average out of shape, but not fat American), you are going to either need clean water sources on your route or a good lightweight water filter. Walking in the winter or summer will force you to consume much more water than usual, and a typical 100 oz bladder will get you about 1/2 day, not including cooking water.

Your clothing is quite important as well. Those polyester dress pants will chafe the insides of your thighs after a few miles. Those tennis shoes that do fine at the mall or for yard work may cause intense foot pain and blisters after walking with extra weight for just a few miles. You will need to keep a change of clothes and footwear in your vehicle, as well as layers, jackets, gloves, and hats in the event of a winter trek. I would also keep extra food and water and other potentially life saving supplies in the vehicle so you can make choices should the need arise. PSYOP Soldier cannot hump that crate, but at least he has choices and could leave the rest behind (provided he has a pack to put it in.)

As with all things survival, you need to prioritize food, water, shelter, security, medical and the proper tools to accomplish these ends, are must haves in your EDC. Everything else is want, rather than a need. The more knowledge you have, the less stuff you will need. Pack well and pack light, then practice with what you have to make sure it does what you expect it to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to SMM123 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2011, 08:42 AM
Lux in Tenebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMM123 View Post
PSYOP Soldier cannot hump that crate, but at least he has choices and could leave the rest behind (provided he has a pack to put it in.)

YES I CAN!! give me enough rope and duct tape....

I do, in the pics its 3 day assault pack, but have since switched to the med alice, as it does allow for better sorting...

In addition, i have dropped the camelback for 2 1qt canteens and cups..to me, more versitle, and living here in NC, can always find and treat water...

The resto f the kist fits nicely in the pack....no worries there, have been field testing as well, most recently on a little overnighter...

The ALICE is simple and rugged, worked back in the day, should work now.....We lived out of em and the Large ALICE packs for days to weeks on end.....
The Following User Says Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2011, 08:49 AM
Forever Vigilant

Total Pack weight, including 3 loaded AR-magazines and 3 mag shingle, and 100oz bladder filled = 20.2 lbs.

Camelbak Mule (it comes in more fashionable non-camo colors)

Contents:

• 4 large Clif bars
• 3 Backpackers Pantry meals (2 servings each)
• 2 packs of G2 electrolyte powder
• 3 Loaded 30-round AR-15 magazines
• 1 Spare pair of socks
• 4 pair of women's knee high stockings
• 1 Gerber Sportsman/Survival Saw
• 1 Grappling hook
• 1 Sawyer Max Deet
• 1 Custom made fire steel with magnesium rod and button compass
• 1 Super Spork
• 2 Pair of ear plugs
• 1 Knife Sharpener
• 1 Container of fire starters
• 1 Israeli bandage
• 1 Lightweight Realtree camo poncho
• 1 General Medical kit with 3 yards of camo duct tape
• 1 Survival blanket
• 4 Aluminum tent stakes
• 1 Ziploc bag
• 1 13 gallon trash bag
• 1 Bic lighter
• 2 Spare lithium CR123A batteries
• 2 Lightweight carabiners (not for climbing purposes)
• 1 Windbreaker
• 50' OD green paracord
• 1 Compass with maginfier
• 1 Signal mirror
• 1 LED Headlamp flashlight
• 2 Spare button batteries
• 1 Fenix PD31 flashlight
• 1 Brunton 10x30 monocular
• 1 Leatherman Wave multi-tool
• 1 15' hank of OD paracord
• 1 Peanut Lighter
• 1 ESEE Izula neck knife and sheath with 15' of OD paracord
• 1 Stainless Steel drinking/measuring cup
• 1 Nagalene Drinking/Measuring bottle
Inside the drinking bottle:
• 1 Sawyer SP-131 .1 Filter with bags
• 1 Sunscreen
• 1 Small fishing kit with 300' of fishing line and 4 lures/hooks
• 10 Survivalist Code cards

Not Shown
• 1 Pin-on bubble compass (pinned to strap of pack)
• 1 Catoma EBNS Tent (straps to outside of pack and adds 3.5 lbs)

Grapple, Peanut lighter, and retracting saw

I also keep plenty of extra supplies in my vehicles: shovel, pick, ax, knives, ammo, tents, sleeping bags, extra filled water bladders, food, clothes, jackets, work gloves, tools, markers, and automotive spare parts and repair kits.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:53 AM
Grumpy Old Man

I have a med. black daypack. No one looks twice at someone with one of those slung over a shoulder. I've taken it into malls and movie theaters w/o a problem.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:58 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Total Pack weight, including 3 loaded AR-magazines and 3 mag shingle, and 100oz bladder filled = 20.2 lbs.

Camelbak Mule (it comes in more fashionable non-camo colors)

Contents:

4 large Clif bars
3 Backpackers Pantry meals (2 servings each)
2 packs of G2 electrolyte powder
3 Loaded 30-round AR-15 magazines
1 Spare pair of socks
4 pair of women's knee high stockings
1 Gerber Sportsman/Survival Saw
1 Grappling hook
1 Sawyer Max Deet
1 Custom made fire steel with magnesium rod and button compass
1 Super Spork
2 Pair of ear plugs
1 Knife Sharpener
1 Container of fire starters
1 Israeli bandage
1 Lightweight Realtree camo poncho
1 General Medical kit with 3 yards of camo duct tape
1 Survival blanket
4 Aluminum tent stakes
1 Ziploc bag
1 13 gallon trash bag
1 Bic lighter
2 Spare lithium CR123A batteries
2 Lightweight carabiners (not for climbing purposes)
1 Windbreaker
50' OD green paracord
1 Compass with maginfier
1 Signal mirror
1 LED Headlamp flashlight
2 Spare button batteries
1 Fenix PD31 flashlight
1 Brunton 10x30 monocular
1 Leatherman Wave multi-tool
1 15' hank of OD paracord
1 Peanut Lighter
1 ESEE Izula neck knife and sheath with 15' of OD paracord
1 Stainless Steel drinking/measuring cup
1 Nagalene Drinking/Measuring bottle
Inside the drinking bottle:
1 Sawyer SP-131 .1 Filter with bags
1 Sunscreen
1 Small fishing kit with 300' of fishing line and 4 lures/hooks
10 Survivalist Code cards

Not Shown
1 Pin-on bubble compass (pinned to strap of pack)
1 Catoma EBNS Tent (straps to outside of pack and adds 3.5 lbs)

Grapple, Peanut lighter, and retracting saw

I also keep plenty of extra supplies in my vehicles: shovel, pick, ax, knives, ammo, tents, sleeping bags, extra filled water bladders, food, tools, markers, and automotive spare parts and repair kits.
Grapple seems cool but, if you don't mind me asking, how likely are you to use such a thing?
The Following User Says Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Forever Vigilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinfire View Post
Grapple seems cool but, if you don't mind me asking, how likely are you to use such a thing?
I decided to test my bag, rifle, and equipment at a professionally hosted Bug Out Drill a couple months back. There were 20+ unknown obstacles that one had to traverse, solve, or otherwise overcome throughout the event. These "obstacles" represented a varying assortment of potential things a person bugging out may encounter, including urban and rural type obstacles.

During the event there were a few real world type climbing evasion and escape obstacles. Due to my height, I was able to traverse them with only slight problems. However, those people who were 8" or more shorter than I were unable to make the obstacles. Had the obstacles been just a foot higher, almost no one could have made them without some type of ascending/abseiling tools.

What if you had to get out of a building to save your life and the only way out was a hole in the middle of a roof 15-20' above you? Or if you were 4 floors up a building and the bad guys were coming up the only exit and you need to drop out of a window? Or you want to cashe you supplies up a tree, but the lowest branch is 20' up. Wouldn't you like to have a grapple?

This grapple stores inside itself and and only weighs 5 oz. I would not put my full weight on this one, but I could use it to lift or drop supplies, or as a messenger to pull climbing rope.

The Bug Out Drill exposed much of my equipment and choices to being less than satisfactory in the event I needed to rely upon them. Nearly every single part of my BOB and carry items changed after that drill. I only retained about 12% of my previous equipment, including weapons and ammo, since the drill and I reduced my total carry weight by 36% while improving my equipment in the process.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Survivor

Quote:
What if you had to get out of a building to save your life and the only way out was a hole in the middle of a roof 15-20' above you? Or if you were 4 floors up a building and the bad guys were coming up the only exit and you need to drop out of a window? Or you want to cashe you supplies up a tree, but the lowest branch is 20' up. Wouldn't you like to have a grapple?
Interesting. I may have to look into it. I guess part of it depends on where you are: my physical shape is so poor I doubt a grapple would do much good, but if I was in the proper range I could see it working
Old 11-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Heart of Darkness

Go for it! I can't imagine not having one in the car.

I've always stowed a BOB/GHB (and occasionally a "bin" of other stuff) in my trunk, even when I first started driving. .

Currently I use a large black tactical pack. It has what I need if I need to keep on driving, and it has what I need if I need to abandon my car and take to hoofing it. It is set up as a 72 hour bag, including change of clothes, and hiking boots. Car trunk contains the usual assortment of car emergency needs. Living in NY, it is not unheard of for people to be stuck on the highway or anywhere during a snow storm. Besides all the other reasons a need for a BOB/GHB would come into play, I like having the additional means to stay warm, hydrated, fed and entertained during a 'sit and wait' even if only for a few hours (or if I need to take to walking, I can do that too). It makes a situation of that sort more about patience then stress. My friends have picked on me for years, but my bag will provide more than their smart phones ever will.

Besides the car bag, I have a small pack as a true EDC. Small enough to carry into stores, but equipped enough for a days use.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:58 AM
Rebel Against Tyrants

Thanked 20,410 Times in 6,843 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
I decided to test my bag, rifle, and equipment at a professionally hosted Bug Out Drill a couple months back. There were 20+ unknown obstacles that one had to traverse, solve, or otherwise overcome throughout the event. These "obstacles" represented a varying assortment of potential things a person bugging out may encounter, including urban and rural type obstacles.
Who put this on and where was it in Texas?
Old 11-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Forever Vigilant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straza View Post
Who put this on and where was it in Texas?
Tiger Valley outside of Waco.

It happens every year in September. 2012 Calendar is not out yet, but should be when it will occur. This course is not to be taken lightly.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Rebel Against Tyrants

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Interesting, I am still curious as to what they tested you on...what type of bug out situation?
Old 11-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Forever Vigilant

Quote:
Interesting, I am still curious as to what they tested you on...what type of bug out situation?
The premiss was that you were stranded in your car 15 miles away from your home and family during a SHTF event, and you had to get home on foot. You had your BOB, your rifle, and your side arm and nothing else. You were not allowed to shed items or add any items once the drill started.

As for what they test on, revealing such would negate the objective of the exercise. The drill was created by the owner because of the armchair survivalists found on sites like this one and others, who think they can do what they say they can do with the equipment that manufacturers say it may or may not be able to do. The Drill tests you and your equipment. Can you and your equipment do what you think it can do?

My failures were generally equipment related. Some high quality, name brand gear did not cut the mustard in some cases, and some gear I found just no longer had a place in my BOB. My pack weight and boots lead to horrendous leg fatigue and a stress fractured foot. I learned that my right handed shooting, left eye dominance required an on the fly solution when presented with less than optimal shooting positions. I found that my expensive Aimpoint red dot was useless for accurate shooting beyond a certain range as the entire dot covered the target and was better suited for CQB. I found what worked and what did not, and have since made the adjustments. I will test this all again next year to make sure.

I also heard that a lot of people shot outstanding groups, but were not in the scoring zone.

Pack what you think you need and want with you, then go to the drill and see if that is true.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:27 AM
Rebel Against Tyrants

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

hmm, and how much does this test cost the average joe?
Old 11-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Survivor

Quote:
hmm, and how much does this test cost the average joe?
I would like to know this also. This scenario is one that affect nearly all of us that do not work at home. Further, those of us that live in small rural towns often have to drive a ways to work....it would be good to test a GHB.