Notices

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here

Old 02-12-2020, 12:31 PM
I love this Forum.

Thanked 13,553 Times in 3,852 Posts
Exclamation New virus in Brazil

Advertise Here

Looks like all kinds of weird new crud going around.

Oh good, there’s a new virus in Brazil that scientists can’t even recognize

"Researchers in Brazil have discovered an entirely new kind of virus that is so foreign to science that not even its genes have been previously identified. The virus, which is described in a new research paper, was found in a Brazilian lake in the city of Belo Horizonte.

As ScienceAlert reports, the virus has been named Yaravirus in honor of a Brazilian mythological figure known as “Iara,” and it’s posing an exciting challenge for researchers who are working to better understand its genome. The virus doesn’t qualify as a “giant virus,” which the international research team has discovered before, but it’s still incredibly unique.

“Here we describe Yaravirus, an entity that could represent either the first isolated virus of Acanthamoeba spp. out of the group of NCLDVs or, in alternative evolutive scenario, it is a distant and extremely reduced virus of this group,” the researchers write.

“Contrary to what is observed in other isolated viruses of amoeba, Yaravirus is not represented by a large/giant particle and a complex genome, but at the same time carries an important number of previously undescribed genes, including one encoding a novel major capsid protein. Metagenomic approaches also testified
..."

Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2020, 12:47 PM
Forward, into the fray!

Thanked 9,375 Times in 2,765 Posts

Interesting. And what does this virus do? Can it cause illness in humans and/or livestock, or just make amoeba sick (which I'm ok with in most cases).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BabyBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 12:54 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 25,458 Times in 5,100 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckleberry View Post
Looks like all kinds of weird new crud going around.

People have no idea what is going on and don't care until it affects them personally.

For ten years I worked part time from mid Nov. to June at a couple different corn research stations where they develop new hybrid corn. It is biotech which is necessary to feed the many Billions of people but in the long run likely will not be good.

Where I worked was quite secretive and only the ones with the PhD's probably knew all that was going on. I only got hired because my cousin works there which he hates but he loves the big money.

I don't know all or maybe even half of what is going on but I try to keep up with some things. Most science fiction books and movies you see about AI, genetic engineering etc etc etc. are coming true.

The great god of Science will not save people. Medicine can be good and extend lives of those who cannot or will not live healthy but still very limited. It is much better to live healthy in a clean healthy natural environment. And what I try to do more and more such as when I finally escaped city life. And I plan to go more off grid than most. Already more than half way there.

People should not live in fear but they Should be aware and not have complete trust in doctors, the gov't and so much more. But live a plugged in life if that is what will make people feel safe, secure and comfy.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2020, 01:34 PM

From the article:

"Only a relatively small percentage of viruses are actually dangerous to humans in any form."

That is, they are not dangerous until they mutate and make the jump to humans. Or, some moron ingests one.

I wonder how many other dangerous microorganisms were "discovered" by curious scientists, removed from some remote location and brought back to the lab to be studied...only to "escape" later.
The Following User Says Thank You to mojomandan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 07:24 PM

Definitely something to keep an eye on. Interestingly enough south america was one of the few places left untouched by COVID 19 (as far as we know).
Old 02-26-2020, 07:54 AM

covid 19 may have touched down in Sao Paolo
The Following User Says Thank You to tweathe850 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2020, 06:53 PM
Honyock

Thanked 1,169 Times in 393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycpunch View Post
Definitely something to keep an eye on. Interestingly enough south america was one of the few places left untouched by COVID 19 (as far as we know).
With the Chinese "participation" in Venezuela and Panama I would not be surprised if it was there and being supressed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gordon Randal For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2020, 07:00 PM
The river flows

Thanked 1,428 Times in 560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Randal View Post
With the Chinese "participation" in Venezuela and Panama I would not be surprised if it was there and being supressed.
Lots of Chinese businesses in Lima, Peru. I was in Ecuador last year, hundreds of Chinese at Chinese mining camps.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blackriver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2020, 05:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,852 Times in 1,812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomandan View Post
From the article:

"Only a relatively small percentage of viruses are actually dangerous to humans in any form."

That is, they are not dangerous until they mutate and make the jump to humans. Or, some moron ingests one.

Since they are microscopic and therefore we can't see them,
you don't have to be a moron to ingest or inhale one.
Old 03-14-2020, 07:14 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweathe850 View Post
covid 19 may have touched down in Sao Paolo
A lot of Chinese people left Hong Kong and went to Sao Paolo before the turnover in 1997.