Where to check if you can buy a gun? - Page 6 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Check In From NE Sinloi New Member Introduction 16 04-03-2016 06:39 PM
check...check....is this thing on?...hello? Bolo New Member Introduction 18 09-17-2015 08:42 PM
Where do I check to see if I can buy a gun? IEAIAIO Firearms General Discussion 48 07-06-2014 12:18 AM
check out this Bug Out Bag! victor23 For Sale 42 08-14-2011 11:37 AM
check out my new dog! throckmorton General Discussion 30 05-30-2011 07:07 AM
check this out steve5 Controversial News and Alternative Politics 3 03-20-2009 02:25 PM
Check this out knothead Controversial News and Alternative Politics 1 02-14-2009 10:27 PM

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 06:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,225 Times in 4,923 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortnic90 View Post
I contacted a Florida Gun Lawyer to go over my inquiry. I thought of going to the PD to do a background check, but I don't trust them to know what exactly the Federal language means in my case.
It may be costing you a few bucks to do so, but IMO you are doing the right thing.

There is no reason to take the chance of getting charged for lying on that 4473, unintentional or not, the law does not care.

Good luck to you.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2015, 11:51 AM

I had a TRO put on me about 15 years ago during a divorce. Do those stay on your record forever or whats the deal? Thanks
Old 09-12-2015, 03:22 PM

I know of a situation where a schizophrenic attempted to strangle his wife during a relapse. He was committed for 6 months, released, took his meds and followed doctor's orders for about 2 yrs. He went to court, got his name changed, had his commitment records sealed, and eventually got a concealed weapons permit back. In CONNECTICUT!!

With the proper legal channels and $$, there is a lot that can be done in these matters...
Old 09-12-2015, 05:16 PM
Grevcon 10

Thanked 37,757 Times in 9,041 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.dunning.370 View Post
I had a TRO put on me about 15 years ago during a divorce. Do those stay on your record forever or whats the deal? Thanks
Temporary Restraining Order? Check your state laws. I know in this state that as soon as the order expires (2 weeks for a temporary, a year if not renewed for a full order) you can have weapons again.

Running into that problem right now. We've got a stalker that I had to repel an attack from and did time for it that just filed to have his probation revoked for good behavior because he has a job. It was a felony crime but the judge somehow decided to make the felony status dependent on him making it through probation without any violation.

He had a restraining order on him before he attacked but it wasn't renewed because he was already under probation conditions that had the same rules. So if he gets the probation revoked he'll be able to go out and buy a new gun in a little over a week and so the chance of him being armed for his next attack goes up considerably.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
Temporary Restraining Order? Check your state laws. I know in this state that as soon as the order expires (2 weeks for a temporary, a year if not renewed for a full order) you can have weapons again.

Running into that problem right now. We've got a stalker that I had to repel an attack from and did time for it that just filed to have his probation revoked for good behavior because he has a job. It was a felony crime but the judge somehow decided to make the felony status dependent on him making it through probation without any violation.

He had a restraining order on him before he attacked but it wasn't renewed because he was already under probation conditions that had the same rules. So if he gets the probation revoked he'll be able to go out and buy a new gun in a little over a week and so the chance of him being armed for his next attack goes up considerably.
Yea, that seems like a messed up deal Colt. In my situation my ex put a TRO on me just so I couldnt see my kids. She was mean one I tell ya. Glad I have had a good woman for the last 10 years without ONE fight. Amazing how that works.lol!!!
Old 09-19-2015, 04:34 AM
Man Whore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha2027 View Post
Okay in short, I have reason to believe that I cannot purchase a firearm legally.
So, I am trying to find out how to find out if I am prohibited or not. I heard I can write a letter to the ATF but might not get an answer for like 120 days so my current plan is to just go to a gun shop and have a dummy check done to see if I can legally buy a gun. Now I ask you, is that a good idea or bad idea to go to a gun shop and have a dummy check done?
If you have a better idea, please share it. I heard I can ask the cops too but I'm a little worried to go down that path to find out.
It will out money. A guy I know here in Texas had a child abuse/neglect charge and a violation of a restraining order charge from 97,98 or so in Colorado. This was for spanking his kids with a switch. Anyway, he went online and ordered a criminal history report from Colorado. There was no arrest record. So now he will submit an application to Texas DPS for CHL. It will cost $140. He just Allen and asked DPS if he would be arrested if his app. was denied for any reason and was told "not likely". His report from Colorado was only seven bucks. Maybe you can do something similar?
Old 09-19-2015, 09:13 AM
Trapper

Find Your Case Disposition sheet from your Case/Charge, or go to the court or a Private Investigator that can Legally do Background checks.

BEWARE of most FFL dealers, Most are like Used Car Salesman. The Days of Honest FFL Dealers started to thin out in the 1980's.

Here is an example of a tactic used by some dealers here in Florida Now. Any dealers reading this that start to do this because of this post, shame on you and I hope your customers remember you for it.

A customer wants to buy a gun (I will use an expensive one here as an example). Lets say a Wilson, Ed Brown, Kimber or HK for Example and I will use the purchase price of $1,200.00, Plus he tells you there is a mandatory $5.00 fee for the background check.

The buyer picks out their gun. The dealer takes it out of the display case, puts it in its box, brings you to the register, takes your money, gives you a copy of your receipt, congratulates you on your purchase, tells you he is putting it in the back in the sold section for you with a copy of your receipt for your waiting period or instant check etc... and will be back to do your paperwork and background check.

You complete the 4470 form, he does your background check and OMG, I'm so sorry sir, but there is a disqualifier in your background Check. You are going to need me to do a refund for you. Then he tells you and even sometimes shows you a tiny sign that states "THERE WILL BE A 25% RESTOCKING FEE ON ALL REFUNDS, NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!"

He gives you your refund MINUS $305.00! Ouch!, And the gun never left the store. Good Luck.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:12 AM

can i buy a gun?
Old 09-03-2016, 06:31 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob72 View Post
can i buy a gun?
Absolutely not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inusuit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2016, 06:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,951 Times in 2,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob72 View Post
can i buy a gun?
Only after you have 25 posts and you promise not to vote for Hillary.
The Following User Says Thank You to PA_Robert For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 10:22 PM

I know this is bringing an old post from the dead. Just wanted to ask a quick question. I had a domestic violence charge from back in 2005. I recieved deferred adjudication for it. I was told once its completed, it would be dismissed and be off my record. It's been almost 14 years now. Would I be able to purchase a gun? I live in Texas. How would I answer 11c and 11i, I want to be as truthful as possible. I was told a deferred adjudication was not a conviction. Thanks
Old 01-31-2019, 10:52 PM
I love this Forum.

Thanked 13,553 Times in 3,852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taudis5 View Post
I know this is bringing an old post from the dead. Just wanted to ask a quick question. I had a domestic violence charge from back in 2005. I recieved deferred adjudication for it. I was told once its completed, it would be dismissed and be off my record. It's been almost 14 years now. Would I be able to purchase a gun? I live in Texas. How would I answer 11c and 11i, I want to be as truthful as possible. I was told a deferred adjudication was not a conviction. Thanks

Even if one of us had the right answer, why would you listen to some anonymous person on the internet about a subject that if wrong about, you could go back to prison? This isn't like asking what kind of magazines someone likes, or how to clean an AR. Talk to a lawyer.

Old 01-31-2019, 10:58 PM
I was young 50 years ago

Thanked 35,468 Times in 13,151 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taudis5 View Post
Ask a lawyer not random people on the internet.

Thread closed.

Read the rules. Follow the rules. Be nice to each other.
Post in the proper section. Stay on topic. Post useful accurate info.
Send me all your unsigned, not cashed in, winning lottery tickets.

I'm good on toilet paper... Thanks though

The Following User Says Thank You to jfountain2 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread