Old 05-27-2019, 04:37 PM
Deplorable On Steroids

Thanked 60,816 Times in 20,642 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2
Default I'm Moving To Utah!

Advertise Here

I've made a decision. I've been in Colorado for about 19 years and it has continually gone downhill ever since. (I hope that's not my fault! ) Ever since they legalized pot, the druggies from around the nation have swarmed in. That's what the Dems wanted. They recently voted a queer to be the State's Governor and he's as left as you can get. They just passed a new law legalizing hallucinogenic mushrooms or "Magic Mushrooms" which is a psychedelic drug that renders a person unpredictable and potentially dangerous.

They also passed Trump's "Red Flag Law" which allows law enforcement to steal a person's guns without due process. King George would be proud!

So ... I'm getting the hell out of here and am currently planning on moving to St. George, UT in mid-August.

My question to you Utahans: Is St. George a decent area to live in? I chose it because of its natural beauty; warm (hot) climate; and Utah's conservative values (especially where guns are concerned). Am I missing anything?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 05:01 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 39,988 Times in 9,299 Posts

I'm also in a liberal junk state, and considering a move and UT is on my short list. I'll bring my conservative vote and guns.

Tagged with interest.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2019, 05:40 PM
Hunter/Survivor

Thanked 1,190 Times in 378 Posts

St George area has big deer. Utah has great bird hunting and big Elk. Sportsman's paradise.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bluesman60 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2019, 10:05 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,949 Times in 804 Posts

Heading that way myself soon.
How are you expecting to live in the area, are you retired?
Lots to do in the area.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stinky For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 12:35 AM
Snacks

Great place. I’ve got my eye on a place just outside of St. George. I lived in northern Utah for about 10 years and loved it, but prefer the warmer climate of St. George/La Verkin. Hoping to be out of Las Vegas within the next 3-5 years. I’ve found the people in and around St. George to be friendly decent folks. You’ll notice some of the same drug/crime problems that you’ll have with any city of that size, but I’ve never felt unsafe in any part of the St. George area. I’m up there nearly every month. I think you’ll find plenty of good people, and places to live, places to relax and enjoy the beauty of the Southwest. Best of luck to you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CDMAC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 10:05 AM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMAC View Post
Great place. I’ve got my eye on a place just outside of St. George. I lived in northern Utah for about 10 years and loved it, but prefer the warmer climate of St. George/La Verkin. Hoping to be out of Las Vegas within the next 3-5 years. I’ve found the people in and around St. George to be friendly decent folks. You’ll notice some of the same drug/crime problems that you’ll have with any city of that size, but I’ve never felt unsafe in any part of the St. George area. I’m up there nearly every month. I think you’ll find plenty of good people, and places to live, places to relax and enjoy the beauty of the Southwest. Best of luck to you.

I lived in Logan and Ogden back in the late 70s and early 80s. I worked at Syro Steel in Centerville, UT for a time. I'm done with the cold though. I grew up in SoCal. I've spent plenty of years in cold climates but am done with it. Nobody knows how to drive in the snow around here. Of course, Denver is a "sanctuary city" so I can't expect great drivers at any time of the year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 10:00 AM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
Heading that way myself soon.
How are you expecting to live in the area, are you retired?
Lots to do in the area.
I'm 58 but will never be able to retire. Three marriages and some bad financial decisions has solidified my future: Work until I drop!

I've already sent my resume to several potential employers in the area. Too early to tell if I'll have a job waiting or not. One way or the other ... I'm moving from Colorado in August. They want me to sign a new lease at my current apartment complex while raising my rent by $65.00 per month. The place is already way too expensive ($1200.00 per month) so I'm not going to sign another lease.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 01:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,511 Times in 2,448 Posts

Seems like a lot of rattlesnakes in utah. In colorado, too but in utah I've passed very close to them and not noticed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2019, 10:02 AM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmas View Post
Seems like a lot of rattlesnakes in utah. In colorado, too but in utah I've passed very close to them and not noticed.

The good thing about rattlers is that they give you a little advanced warning. I don't mind a few snakes. I hear that there may be a roach problem in the St. George area. I choose snakes over roaches any day. I can deal with the roaches though. Keep the kitchen clean. Keep food properly stored. And keep plenty of "roach motels" in the nooks and crannies and I should be fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 07:32 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,873 Times in 1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
The good thing about rattlers is that they give you a little advanced warning. I don't mind a few snakes. I hear that there may be a roach problem in the St. George area. I choose snakes over roaches any day. I can deal with the roaches though. Keep the kitchen clean. Keep food properly stored. And keep plenty of "roach motels" in the nooks and crannies and I should be fine.
Careful of the rattlers, my friend. Some don't start making noise until they are actually striking. In some populated areas of the desert, the noisy ones have all been killed out, leaving only the ones that are not prone to rattle.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wldwsel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 10:41 AM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wldwsel View Post
Careful of the rattlers, my friend. Some don't start making noise until they are actually striking. In some populated areas of the desert, the noisy ones have all been killed out, leaving only the ones that are not prone to rattle.

WW

shoot straight - stay safe

True. Don't want to get bitten if I can help it.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:04 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,103 Times in 2,951 Posts
Question Does the area glow in the dark?

Beginning in 1951, the era of nuclear weapons testing was a time of tremendous change at both national and local levels. In the name of national security, a variety of nuclear weapons were tested in a remote area of the Nevada desert known as the Nevada Test Site. Fallout and radiation from these tests have affected communities across the nation, resulting in ongoing health problems, loss of life, and generational impacts that continue to this day.

"Another aspect is the large number of special needs children in southern Utah. When I was in 6th grade, I was in charge of helping the Special Ed class have lunch for part of the year so the teacher could have a break. I’d take the group to lunch and then stay with them until the teacher came back.
Being a responsible student resulted in pretty grown-up tasks now that I look back at it." SOURCE:https://collections.lib.utah.edu/det...name_s=uum_dua

"J Truman’s earliest memory is of sitting as a child on his father’s knee in Enterprise, Utah, transfixed by a show in the sky from nuclear-bomb testing in nearby Nevada, including watching pink-gray fallout clouds pass overhead.

“My parents died from cancer,” he says, blaming those radioactive clouds. So Truman, director of Downwinders, Inc., has fought since the 1970s for compensation for victims." SOURCE:https://www.sltrib.com/news/politics...-compensation/

"Intermountain Dixie Regional Medical Center announced that the hospital’s exposure screening and education program will be holding public information meetings to discuss the scheduled end of the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act, which expires July 9, 2022. Two meetings will take place in Southern Utah, one in St. George this Wednesday and one in Enterprise May 15.

According to a press release from Dixie Regional, information will be presented about the Radiation Exposure Compensation Act and possible compensation available to downwinders, a term used to describe the more than 60,000 people who were exposed to radioactive fallout in Southern Utah and eastern Nevada during the nuclear testing at the Nevada Test Site from 1951-58 and July of 1962." SOURCE:https://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/ar.../#.XO0-i49OnIU

This is part of my current research on a book. Almost everyone who lives in the US has been affected somewhat by the fallout from the atmospheric testing. We are ALL downwind, but the folks in southwest Nevada and southwest Utah were closest to ground zero.

---tort--
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tortminder For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 12:51 AM
Survivor

Over the next thirty years, 91 of the 220 cast and crew members had developed a form of cancer. Forty-six had died, including John Wayne, Susan Hayward, Pedro Armendáriz (who shot himself soon after learning he had terminal cancer), Agnes Moorehead, John Hoyt and director **** Powell.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049092/trivia

Jo hn Wayne filmed near there. Heavy smoking + radiation.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2019, 12:55 AM
Survivor

John Wayne filmed near there.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049092/trivia

91 of the 220 cast and crew members had developed a form of cancer. Forty-six had died, including John Wayne, Susan Hayward, Pedro Armendáriz (who shot himself soon after learning he had terminal cancer), Agnes Moorehead, John Hoyt and director **** Powell. Lee Van Cleef had throat cancer, but died of a heart attack.

Smokers + radiation.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 11:01 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,949 Times in 804 Posts

Just a few warnings.

Unless you are in town, Be sure to check water rights and also know what they really mean.
In in a subdivision, will you be on city sewer and water? Will utilities be at the property line and you need to pay hookup fees, that can be pricey.
Check at least 3 different loan sources if you are purchasing, one being the local credit union. Rates can be all across the scale and you are the new guy in town.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stinky For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 08:53 AM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
Just a few warnings.

Unless you are in town, Be sure to check water rights and also know what they really mean.
In in a subdivision, will you be on city sewer and water? Will utilities be at the property line and you need to pay hookup fees, that can be pricey.
Check at least 3 different loan sources if you are purchasing, one being the local credit union. Rates can be all across the scale and you are the new guy in town.

Thanks for the info. I'll start out renting in town before I look into buying. I want to buy but want to make sure it's a perfect spot for me.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:48 PM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 5,333 Times in 2,464 Posts

I envy you, St George, SW Utah, Northern Az is some of my favorite places. If the wife were on board, I'd move now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Palma For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 03:58 PM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palma View Post
I envy you, St George, SW Utah, Northern Az is some of my favorite places. If the wife were on board, I'd move now.

There's something about that desert heat that I like. It's a heck of a lot better than Denver's 6 month winters. Cold, dreary, icy, and depressing. Not to mention dangerous on the roads. I know how to drive in snow but most of the illegals and Californians who come here have no idea what they're doing.
The Following User Says Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 03:55 PM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Sorry conservative Utahans but I'm taking my conservative vote to the Prescott, AZ area. I contacted numerous businesses, realtors, apartment complexes, etc. and got very little feedback. I'm thinking that the folks of St. George don't want any more people moving to their region. I can understand. I feel the same way about the huge influx of people to the Denver, CO area. Coming for the drugs, of course.

Anyway, Prescott is beautiful and has a slightly lower population. They also have 4 welding supply companies there (I have more than 20 years in that field) so there's a good chance I will find a job fairly quickly.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:29 PM
Deplorable On Steroids

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Utah update: Not going as planned!! But I don't know a time in my life when anything DID go as planned.

1) Planned on renting a U-Haul trailer in Denver and taking my belongings with me to Utah; putting them in storage; and moving them to my new place when I got a place. U-Haul dropped the ball so I had to put everything in storage in Denver. I'm forced to return to Denver to retrieve all of it when I find a place.

2) I planned on staying in my pickup tent most of the time to save money. However, was not able to get my computer to work unless I was near WiFi. So ... I've been renting a hotel for 5 days straight (as of today ... Friday). That's about $65.00 per day. I need the WiFi to look for jobs.

3) I have handed out lots of resumes (both online and in person). Have only had one interview but wasn't hired. I'm actually glad I wasn't hired by this company, Orgill (I think). Huge turnover and lots of bad employee reviews. Another company (one that's more up my alley) appeared to be interested yesterday morning but I haven't heard back from them yet. Still hoping.

4) I can't rent a place until I have a job. The job I want requires that I have a CDL with HazMat. Went to the DMV to start the process but they need me to have the following: a permanent residence; my birth certificate; two official mailings proving that I have a permanent residence; a passport or Social Security card. My birth certificate, passport, and Social Security card are all in my safe in storage in Denver and I can't produce two "official mailings" since I don't have a permanent address. So ... I can't get a place without a job; I can't get the job without the proper license; and I can't get the license without a place.

5) My pickup transmission is beginning to slip. That could cost up to $3500.00 to fix depending upon the severity.

6) I almost decided to fly back to Denver to retrieve my Vital Documents but decided to get them replaced online. That's more money out of my pocket and they will have to be sent via USPS. That means more days in a hotel than I can really afford.

Has anyone ever wished to go to sleep never to wake up? America is no longer a free land when a man can't move from State to State without this much red tape. So ... depressed hardly describes what I'm feeling right now.