Notices

Advertise Here

Old 02-28-2020, 08:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,066 Times in 4,174 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyFeathers View Post

Llamas and Jennys and/or Jack asses are good to have, they keep the coyotes away from the rest of your livestock, maybe they'll even help you get some sleep

You can always advertise for someone like me who likes to hunt them!

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
Thanks for all the info!

We have Great Pyrenees with the livestock, so far not lost any goats or sheep to the coyotes.

Honestly, I haven;t gotten around to it yet...been too busy preparing for goat kids, lambs coming in a few weeks and preparing for the stupid coronavirus
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2020, 09:01 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
that's sort of pricey!
Old 02-28-2020, 09:10 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLW1974 View Post
A 243 is great yote medicine. A 223 also works very well.
Is a .308 overkill? We don't own 15 different rifles...
Old 02-28-2020, 09:12 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 27,497 Times in 9,775 Posts

308 is fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2020, 06:42 AM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 43,945 Times in 10,224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Vet View Post
There are a lot of people with more experience on that subject than
me. But I would try and figure out what the coyote has been eating
and use something like it.

I saw a guy try to use Tuna fish to lure a fox in a cage, it didn't work
because most fox in my area, or most areas don't usually find tuna fish.

But what would probably be more effective would be to lure them in
with an electronic predictor call while you wait for them down wind
hidden.
Coyotes are omnivorous, you do better hunting them when they are hungry, but they also will go for targets of opportunity. They are predators, they like to be enticed by the kill of their prey. Along with a call, you need some bait, something that flashes movement like a predator call along with a decoy.

Hunting over gut piles is good but coyotes won't fight off buzzards or vultures unless they're in a good size pack. Plus they won't go after it until the wee hours of the night, then you need spot lights and best you'll get is only 1.

A pack of coyotes will pass over a gut pile if there's fresh livestock in the area, again targets of opportunity like dogs, sheep, goats, deer, calves and the sort. They are predators

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
Anything with enough power to get a hole in them so they'll run off and die

One thing about a coyote, after he sees or hears you, whether you shoot or not......he'll bug out

As he's bugging out, he'll stop at one point and always look back. Like at the top of a hill, group of trees or brush. This is your last and maybe your best opportunity at a shot. After that, he'll disappear

Coyotes are very cunning and one of the smartest animals out in the wild. Don't feel bad when you're outsmarted. Remember, you're on his turf!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 10:58 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,044 Times in 427 Posts

Bass Pro - order electric caller, set on injured rabbit or something similar
Set it up 100yds less that you can effectively shoot.
Try to stay down wind or cross wind from it.
Use anything above .22LR that will reach your effective range.
You could use a .30-'06 but it is sort of overkill. .223 is perfect. So is anything else up to .270 or 7mm. Personally I like 6mm Rem on a bipod.
Stay still, preferably behind hay bales, tractors etc.
Start the caller. Stand by...
The Following User Says Thank You to no guns here For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 11:06 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,123 Times in 754 Posts

If legal in your area, I would use snares.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,723 Times in 3,487 Posts

Quote:
Don't know exactly where to put this, but has anyone successfully hunted coyotes? How did you do it? We basically live in the national forest on a mountain. They only seem to come out at night, and I want them gone.

Our livestock dogs are locked in the barn with the sheep and goats at night and in the pasture during the day, so they don't go up the mountain to hunt them. The house dogs just chase them off when we let them out. There seem to be more and more of them,and I hate hearing them howl at night.
I worry about them getting bold enough to hunt during the day and if there is enough of them hurt the dogs ( can they?).

So how does one hunt a coyote?

Oh, I don't want to put traps out, the dogs might get in them
Haven't actively hunted them much as of late. ( The biggest problem here = feral hogs)

The last honest to gosh coyote I shot around here was right at dusk using a 308 chambered rifle while checking a stretch of fence line .

Wife shot one right out of one of her gardens last summer ......Early morning from a house window with a suppressed TCR22.

To answer your question........

Yes. Coyotes can be problem concerning your livestock and your dogs. Coydogs can be a much more serious issue....if they reside in your neck of the woods. We actively hunt them down here, and are easier to track/ bait/ call.

Typically use the same 308 chambered rifle at night with a thermal imaging scope.
I prefer semiauto for the same reasons I prefer it for feral pig erradication. ( A better chance at dumping more than one.)

I suggest bait if your after the entire pack, and it is legal in your locale. Calling and decoys will work for a smaller number of problem dogs however.

1. Track them iot locate a good site for a bait ambush and determine a probable number of this pack.
2. Apply bait. ( I find that canned dog food works well, and have used feral pig guts simply because we always have more than needed...pack.Number 1 bait = A live piglet or rabbit if your only after a few dogs, and piglets also draw other pests such as.....well...feral hogs...lol.
3. Utilize patience. Let them get comfortable at your bait site. Them = The entire pack. Tracks are a giveaway but trail cams give more precise data.
4. Use a semiauto and start with the big females . ( They are the smartest dogs and also breed more.)
5. Kill as many as you can . Night time is the right time. Thermal imaging optics are great, but there are plenty of other means to illuminate your kill zone. Green light trumps white blue or red btw.....
6. Stay safe and know what is downrange of your targets at all times. ( Never seen a coyote body stop a 30cal bullet launched from a 308 case...too include the older Vmax. ) If a dog runs and your unsure as to what is behind it....dont take the shot. If you are sure.....go for the " 2fer ", as pretty much any 308 load is more than capable of pulling it off.
7. Take good pics of the " aftermath ", and post them here.
8. Rinse and repeat.

Note: I would not use snares OT any other traps being that you live in a national forest. If someone were to get hurt, blame it on the trap, then they have a decent argument towards a lawsuit filed against you. And yup.....one of your dogs can end up in said trap.

Edit: Feel free to pm me here in regards to number 2 above in particular.

My favorite huntin/ pest control/ erradication/ cullin/ all around critter slayin boomstick in 1st pic below. Currently using the rifle in second pic below as a night hunter along with PVS14s. ( Not as efficient as thermal weapon sights, but I like it to keep skills at a high state of readiness due to my current job.)

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180129_200016.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	298780   Click image for larger version

Name:	aimpoint comp.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	298782  
Old 03-03-2020, 02:35 AM
Survivor

Quote:
I should have read the whole thread but didn't as yet because its been a long day.........

Like I mentioned before, 308 is not " overkill", but 10 times out of 10, the pill will smash right through the body and be plenty lethal on the far side......to include the older Hornady Vmax. This is a good thing if ya know what a " 2fer ""means.....

With that said, the class favorite 5.56mm will do the same to a dog via 62gr FMJ ( M855), only very little damage to the dog.)

From what you have described in your initial post a dedicated coyote rifle is not needed. ( Remington 700 custom build in 22 250 via 55gr Vmax = the ultimate coyote killer imo)

You own a 308. Might as well use it. As for ammo, you dont particularly require anything specific either. Use the most accurate load that your particular rifle likes and kill um all...lol. The yotes you didn't shoot will not be in that big of a hurry to come back either. ( Smart animals btw. ...)

Example of 1 factory load I have used before. ( coyote, armadillo, coon, opossum, coydogs, feral dogs, deer, speedgoat, and dump truck loads of feral pigs. )

11B
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9ae08c29a9b4ea403cbcdd4239159e5f.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	298784  
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2020, 09:29 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,666 Times in 2,379 Posts

I am not an expert on hunting coyotes. I do shoot them on sight and shoot 3-4 per year. having tried multiple rifles and rounds, I have settled on 22-250. In fact I bought another last summer. Its a little loud but I does the job. Larger rounds do the job but are loud and the projectiles tend to travel if you miss and after penetration of the coyote. On the positive side using your deer rifle is good practice for deer season
The Following User Says Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2020, 06:16 PM
Bear Fighter

Location: North of the 45th Parallel, West of the 115th Meridian
Thanked 1,951 Times in 771 Posts

they are wily bastards.

Our local fire department was having issues with them and had to put out a notice:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	coyote.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	298948  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Area Man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2020, 08:02 PM
I LOVE THIS PLACE

(that's sort of pricey!) Sonya that is actually one of the cheap ones some of the foxpros go for up to 500$. Ask around if it's like here guys will beg for the chance to come in and hunt them.
It's funny how farmers won't give you the time of day when you ask them to deer hunt. Ask them to dog hunt and their like when can you be here but please don't shoot my cows.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:40 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,788 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost863 View Post
they didn't come because they could smell you. seriously get some of that spray hunters use. it smells like crap but it works
do yo think they would take the bait during the day? I am really not much of a night person, sort of night blind actually. Maybe son wants to do this, he stays up late
It was so bad last night, i opened the window in like 10 degree weather, and yelled 'shut the **** up' in the middle of the night, neighbors probably got woken up by me yelling not the coyotes[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.survivalistboards.com/images/smilies/tapedshut.gif[/IMG]
Have you considered trapping them ? That way you can have the trap work at night when the yotes are active and you can dispatch Wiley in the morning when you are awake.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:08 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
Have you considered trapping them ? That way you can have the trap work at night when the yotes are active and you can dispatch Wiley in the morning when you are awake.
And pass up an opportunity for some decent shooting? Not here...lol

Pic below= Day time shoot /392 yards / M14S ( 308win)

11B
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	392 yards moving M14S.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	300170  
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post: