***Ladies Section*** Women Only Getting Mentally Ready - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Preppers: Having Everything Ready The Night Before AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 1 05-24-2018 11:11 AM
Toxic Femininity & Equality PeterEnergy Controversial News and Alternative Politics 243 11-16-2017 07:30 AM
Marines to Graduate First Female Infantry Officer NHP1127 General Discussion 129 10-07-2017 06:55 PM
Millennial Women Keep Buying Guns AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 09-08-2017 12:30 PM
Are you mentally/physically ready to bug out? Big_John Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 39 03-01-2017 06:36 PM

Old 05-22-2019, 09:30 PM

Default ***Ladies Section*** Women Only Getting Mentally Ready

Advertise Here

Found a interesting article that may be of help at times of overload.

https://readynutrition.com/resources...-off_20052019/

Last edited by kokosmom2; 03-18-2020 at 06:01 PM..
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Deepins For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2020, 05:16 PM

Interesting article and I'm reading it over to kind of help me figure this whole thing out.

Past few years I had been working on my accounting degree and working my tail off making sure we have everything we need in normal and crisis time and with my job being tax pro, there's 4 months good money, in which we prep for lean times by getting extra stuff (extra household goods, food etc) and in the lean times the part time job I have covers most all the bills.

I'm wanting to parlay that degree into a good year round job with the company I do tax work for. But while I may be like 61% done with the program, there's a good chance that if things keep going the way they are, that paper may be better served in the bathroom. Where I live there isn't a lot of work so nothing happens, I can just move. I got family in areas with good jobs. (And aren't that bad to live in)

But...... I'm just having a hard time getting this whole thing straight in my mind. I got plenty of supplies, but I'm better minded for the usual lean time I described than such a shift. And I realized that I have no idea what the hell I'd do with myself in a SHTF situation. Like after the inital event and things quiet a little. So yeah, little lost and looking for some help.

My husband isn't quite the best for this and I had been so focused on keeping us going fiscally the past few years I never thought that much on this.

Anyone offer any guidance?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PhoenixAngel429 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2020, 05:31 PM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 33,870 Times in 9,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAngel429 View Post
Interesting article and I'm reading it over to kind of help me figure this whole thing out.

Past few years I had been working on my accounting degree and working my tail off making sure we have everything we need in normal and crisis time and with my job being tax pro, there's 4 months good money, in which we prep for lean times by getting extra stuff (extra household goods, food etc) and in the lean times the part time job I have covers most all the bills.

I'm wanting to parlay that degree into a good year round job with the company I do tax work for. But while I may be like 61% done with the program, there's a good chance that if things keep going the way they are, that paper may be better served in the bathroom. Where I live there isn't a lot of work so nothing happens, I can just move. I got family in areas with good jobs. (And aren't that bad to live in)

But...... I'm just having a hard time getting this whole thing straight in my mind. I got plenty of supplies, but I'm better minded for the usual lean time I described than such a shift. And I realized that I have no idea what the hell I'd do with myself in a SHTF situation. Like after the inital event and things quiet a little. So yeah, little lost and looking for some help.

My husband isn't quite the best for this and I had been so focused on keeping us going fiscally the past few years I never thought that much on this.

Anyone offer any guidance?
Women from the beginning of time has always nurtured the children, family and gathered food like herbs, nuts, etc. Men hunted the big game.

Now is the time to start a garden or do container gardening, raised beds and trellising and learn to can it and dehydrate what you grow. Back in 1945 when WW 2 was going and all of the able bodied men were over seas all of our food was being sent overseas so the government started the Victory Gardens. People were taught to grow their own food because by the 40's most households were buying their foods from the grocery stores.

Grocery stores didn't come into being until the 1930's. Until then everyone had a garden. By the early to mid 40's almost half the households no longer had a garden so the Victory Garden was born. There are lots of youtube videos on the Victory gardens. Lots of people on Youtube on how to garden anyway you can think of.

To me this is the best thing that will help mentally. Growing food for the family. I was raised hard mentally, I wasn't coddled and whatever. Both sets of my grandparents were born in the late 1800's. They grew up and lived through the Spanish Flu and the Great Depression, My dad was 1 of 11 kids, my mother 1 of 10. they all had gardens they lived without electricity and running water. I've lived those times a time or 2. If you belive in God pray to him and read the bible, but get up and do something. Don't just dwell on it. I've had depression several times because I let things get to me so start doing something like gardening. As long as you know how to grow food and can it you know you'll be able to do anything.

People now are about to get a taste of what our grandparents and great grandparents lived through when the Spanish Flu hit in 1918 and the Great Depression in the 30's. Time to buckle up and quit being in denial because there is no denying what's happening when you're in the thick of things.

For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2020, 05:56 PM
Republic of Texas

Thanked 3,603 Times in 911 Posts

I can see where they are coming from.

I grew up in a very high tension and high crisis family. My mother had chronic and very severe health issues so I learned very early on how to handle a crisis.

But to anyone on the outside, I can often look like I am panicked or rushing around.

It's quite the opposite. I am doing what needs to be done, dealing with what needs to be dealt with, but I am not voicing it out loud. Instead, I am processing everything in my head and am often doing four or five things at once - all successfully.

I had to explain it to my girls the other day that I'm not panicking, my brain is just firing on all cylinders and it's one thought after another with no break in between. Even in my sleep, my brain is doing what it needs to do apparently b/c I wake up with new things that need done every single day.

I truly believe that having the ability to process information and tasks this way is what makes people good in crisis situations.

Now if I could just get people to get out of my way, to stop harping on how much I need to rest and to just let me take care of business I'd be doing great.

Pheonix:

Make a list starting with the biggest priorities. Work down it

and start learning. Youtube, Kindle, etc all do not require going out and can teach you quite a bit of almost anything you want to learn.

You still have time to learn.

Oh and stop panicking if you are; it's okay to need a breather; it's okay to be scared and unsure. And it's okay to have a 100% total breakdown in the shower if you need to. (Not saying I've done that twice in two weeks, but I've done that twice in two weeks).

Those feelings and emotions are what your brain does when it's overwhelmed and above all, you sound really overwhelmed to me.

As confident as I am in my own abilities, you can bet I am terrified of how this all is going to play out at the same time. I have just learned how to separate the two things away from each other so fear doesn't play into my prepping.

Feel free to PM me if you need an ear. I'm usually around.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OneFrugalPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2020, 06:51 PM

I will read the linked info, thanks!

I am having trouble trying to get my workaholic, solo employee and business-owner carpenter husband to quit going out in the world, to work.

He now eats food taken from home, vs eating out. He maintains social distance, works alone or only with his elderly father in his warehouse shop.

I keep telling him, it just takes ONE person to spread it to him, plus all the surfaces he may be touching during the day, while installing the job, etc.

So, he will most likely never stay home till he is forced, to.
But he doesn't want me going out, at all. I have no family near me nor do I work.

Sigh.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wondering For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2020, 07:37 PM
Republic of Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
I will read the linked info, thanks!

I am having trouble trying to get my workaholic, solo employee and business-owner carpenter husband to quit going out in the world, to work.

He now eats food taken from home, vs eating out. He maintains social distance, works alone or only with his elderly father in his warehouse shop.

I keep telling him, it just takes ONE person to spread it to him, plus all the surfaces he may be touching during the day, while installing the job, etc.

So, he will most likely never stay home till he is forced, to.
But he doesn't want me going out, at all. I have no family near me nor do I work.

Sigh.
It's a man thing. "Me provider, you stay home"

Let him do what he needs to do but provide him with what he needs to be safe. Men like him need to provide.
The Following User Says Thank You to OneFrugalPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2020, 08:10 PM

Let him do what he needs to do but provide him with what he needs to be safe. Men like him need to provide.

You're right. And I am aware of that. It just frustrates me. I stay home in quarantine. While every day he is out, as the virus creeps closer to our city, increases his chances of getting it AND bringing it home to me!
😕
Old 03-18-2020, 08:35 PM
Republic of Texas

Quote:

You're right. And I am aware of that. It just frustrates me. I stay home in quarantine. While every day he is out, as the virus creeps closer to our city, increases his chances of getting it AND bringing it home to me!
😕
My husband is an OTR truck driver. I get it. My husband is all over God's creation right now, in and out of that beast, doing what he needs to do.

Let me try to tell him to come home before he thinks it's time and it will be WW3. (Okay, not really if I had evidence to back up my claim, but I don't just yet).

But...instead of letting it cause tension between the two of you at a time when that would be SO much worse than normal, maybe just tell him your concerns, give him the masks/etc and do what you can to protect yourself/your kids?

He's going to go out and go to work anyhow and that is 100% what he needs to be doing right now. You can choose to let it cause an issue or you can choose to protect him the best way you can, take some extra immune boosting supplements for yourself and get the other things done that I am sure you need to do.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:59 PM

Great advice. Thank you! I have no family that lives near me. My kids are all grown with kids and they live out of State.
I agree with you, and I am letting it go, for now, esp since its not in my city, yet. (1 confirmed case that is known).

For now, I continue my preps of certain helpful supplenents, herbals. Otc meds, etc. We also have plenty of food, various level masks, etc. I am the Prepper, have been for YEARS. He is finally on board.
Just gets a bit lonely with no one to vent to, once in a while. Is why I do love this forum! 🙂
Thanks again, for your helpful advice! 🙂
The Following User Says Thank You to Wondering For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2020, 09:09 PM
Republic of Texas

Quote:
Great advice. Thank you! I have no family that lives near me. My kids are all grown with kids and they live out of State.
I agree with you, and I am letting it go, for now, esp since its not in my city, yet. (1 confirmed case that is known).

For now, I continue my preps of certain helpful supplenents, herbals. Otc meds, etc. We also have plenty of food, various level masks, etc. I am the Prepper, have been for YEARS. He is finally on board.
Just gets a bit lonely with no one to vent to, once in a while. Is why I do love this forum! 🙂
Thanks again, for your helpful advice! 🙂
You're welcome and like I said, I do get it. My own family is 1400 miles away. We have teens but that's all I've got here. One is helpful, one chooses to be a bum currently (harsh but true).

He is doing his thing and makes a phone call when he thinks of something else he wants done. At that point, it's up to me to make sure his AND my list gets done, lol.

The rest of it I just leave up to the Universe (or God whichever your chosen is). It's going to be what it's going to be no matter how much I prepare.

You're welcome to PM and vent if you need. I'm usually around even if I'm going through a quiet phase.