Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Life Gear Tactical LED Flashlights - $109.99 shipped (Record Low) apps47inc For Sale 0 11-04-2014 08:05 AM
Why high-end tactical flashlights use optical (TIR) lenses rather than reflectors ... Elzetta ELZETTA Tactical Lighting 0 10-20-2014 04:57 PM
Burning question about UN invasion? J.nash08 Controversial News and Alternative Politics 70 10-28-2013 10:22 PM
Inexpensive TACTICAL flashlights boomerweps Urban Survival 32 11-17-2012 03:59 PM
New Remote Tape Switch for Elzetta ZFL-M60 Tactical LED Flashlights Elzetta ELZETTA Tactical Lighting 2 12-22-2011 08:20 PM
Why do tactical flashlights have... Skeptical Reviews and questions 31 12-07-2011 02:35 PM
Dorcy CREE Q5 Tactical LED Flashlights (3*aaa) Dougzilla For Sale 0 03-24-2011 02:46 PM
High-Intensity Tactical LED flashlights at Costco Branned Reviews and questions 13 12-08-2010 05:35 PM
Streamlight Scorpion Flashlights question MosquitoHunter Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 13 06-23-2010 09:14 AM

Old 02-06-2015, 02:30 AM

Default Burning question about tactical flashlights

Advertise Here

Hello all, new member here from Kansas. I seem to be becoming a flashlight aficionado, and I'm starting to venture out into the fancier brands. I'm mostly looking for the perfect EDC pocket torch for me -- I use my light many times per day for general use, indoors and out, and also want it to be useful for defensive situations (a companion to a concealed carry gun). Needs to carry and "reholster" easily in the front pocket of blue jeans. Also must be activated by a momentary tailcap button.

I recently tried out an Olight M10 Maverick... I find its control scheme to be as perfect as I've found: 1st tap gives whatever power level you previously selected with the side button, 2nd tap always gives high power, and 3rd tap always gives strobe. Quick, simple, effective. I love this light, but the tailcap button is too exposed and I can't wear it without it constantly getting clicked on in my pocket. Oh, and the clip is an abomination, requiring two hands and two eyeballs to reholster.

What I want to ask about is the control scheme found on Fenix and Thrunite lights, and possibly others. On these, the strobe is activated by first turning the light fully on with the tailcap button, and then pressing and holding the side button for 1 second. People seem to really love these lights, but this makes no sense to me. When I feel threatened in the dark, am I supposed to say "hold it there bad guy, wait while I turn this flashlight fully on (giving away my position), and then allow me to nervously fumble around until I find the side switch, and then please wait one more second until the strobe comes on. OK, thank you for waiting, please be disoriented now."

I don't get it. What am I missing? On Streamlights and Olights I can deploy the light with one hand and have it strobing in a second or two, while my other hand is free to pull out my sidearm. But this doesn't seem possible with the "toney" lights I see so many people recommending.

I looked at Surefires today, they work as I want but don't include the strobe function. Really? I guess the idea is to use blinding high-lumens instead, and they are of course very pricey.

I'm open for suggestions of specific makes and models, but also would like to understand how others find the side-button strobe useful.

TIA, BR
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2015, 02:40 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,129 Times in 934 Posts

I may sound like an old world kind of guy, but it would seem that if you are looking for an excellent tactical flashlight the first priority would be durability, the second would be energy consumption (run time) and third would be ergonomics (so in the mud and dark you could operate it efficiently).
All of the features you are mentioning, though valuable, are very low down the tactical list but much higher on the EDC or personal security and home security lists.
To me, and from what I've read, the best tactical equals SureFire for the reasons cited above. I want some of those same properties but don't expect to be in extreme dire straights (may mud or dark but hopefully not both ) and want to save some money so I go with Streamlight and their contemporaries with their simpler designs. If I am willing to take a bit of durability and usability risk I might look for a light that has a strobe and three light levels that can be operated simply with one hand and without programming the light and if I'd fine one, I'm good to go.
I also have to keep a light on me at times that is small and simple enough to keep in my mouth while I aviate/navigate/communicate. At times like those, it just has to turn on, preferably low light.
B
Old 02-07-2015, 01:21 AM

If you're going to use it for self defense, you want 1) simplicity and 2) reliability.

In a self defense situation, you aren't going to be able to fiddle with modes to enable the strobe. So if you want a strobe mode for distracting / disorienting (i've never used one with strobe, so don't know how effective this is compared to full power straight to the eyes), then get a light that is strobe only.

The next important thing is to train force on force scenarios using the flashlight, otherwise you won't know whether you will be able to deploy, and whether or not what you do will actually be effective.

As for technique, I would use the momentary on to dazzle while moving - either in for striking/take-down or away for escape. I hold the flashlight in a hammer fist grip which is effective for hammer strikes, but can also be used for hooking and trapping - a longer flashlight is helpful here.

I have and like the Fenix TK11. not sure if they make it anymore though. Nice and simple forward clickie tailcap switch, head rotates to select high and low brightness modes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2015, 01:30 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushy run View Post
On these, the strobe is activated by first turning the light fully on with the tailcap button, and then pressing and holding the side button for 1 second. People seem to really love these lights, but this makes no sense to me. When I feel threatened in the dark, am I supposed to say "hold it there bad guy, wait while I turn this flashlight fully on (giving away my position), and then allow me to nervously fumble around until I find the side switch, and then please wait one more second until the strobe comes on. OK, thank you for waiting, please be disoriented now."

I don't get it. What am I missing? On Streamlights and Olights I can deploy the light with one hand and have it strobing in a second or two, while my other hand is free to pull out my sidearm. But this doesn't seem possible with the "toney" lights I see so many people recommending.

TIA, BR
I'm thinking Klarus XT11. I have many Fenix lights and the reason I like them is that I can cycle through the modes WITHOUT having to cycle through strobe/sos. Those modes are considered HIDDEN, and that's what I like about that.

The Klarus has 2 tail switches. The main switch always starts on MAX brightness and it has a momentary on; with the light on, the second switch acts as a mode selector. There is no mode memory, so it will always start on MAX. The second switch, when the light is off, becomes the instant Strobe button. It too is momentary but if you hold it long enough, it will stay activated even when you let go of the switch. It has very light teeth on the front bezel, although I believe the latest version has better teeth for striking than my 1st gen. I think this could be a better fit for you than any of the Fenix lights, which again, I have many of and love them all.

Thanks for bringing this up, I got a chance to play with my Klarus XT11 which I have just sitting on a shelf for the past year or so doing nothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to buds224 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2015, 09:41 AM

Default Asking a lot

Thanks for the replies, guys. Good answers. Helps me to understand that I'm asking a lot of one easy-to-carry flashlight. Since 99% or better of my use is likely to be general EDC, mechanicking and the like, I want something that deploys and holsters rapidly and easily, and comes on low-power first. But then for the rare and unexpected defensive situation, I want fast, no-fumbling access to max brightness. De-emphasizing my preference for a strobe function will help me move toward a good solution, it appears.

If the hammer-fist grip is what I think it is, with the thumb on the tailcap and the lens by the little finger, yes, that's my pref. Clipping the light in my front pocket lens-down, I can deploy it in that position very quickly.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Hello all, new member here from Kansas. I seem to be becoming a flashlight aficionado, and I'm starting to venture out into the fancier brands. I'm mostly looking for the perfect EDC pocket torch for me -- I use my light many times per day for general use, indoors and out, and also want it to be useful for defensive situations (a companion to a concealed carry gun). Needs to carry and "reholster" easily in the front pocket of blue jeans. Also must be activated by a momentary tailcap button.

I recently tried out an Olight M10 Maverick... I find its control scheme to be as perfect as I've found: 1st tap gives whatever power level you previously selected with the side button, 2nd tap always gives high power, and 3rd tap always gives strobe. Quick, simple, effective. I love this light, but the tailcap button is too exposed and I can't wear it without it constantly getting clicked on in my pocket. Oh, and the clip is an abomination, requiring two hands and two eyeballs to reholster.

What I want to ask about is the control scheme found on Fenix and Thrunite lights, and possibly others. On these, the strobe is activated by first turning the light fully on with the tailcap button, and then pressing and holding the side button for 1 second. People seem to really love these lights, but this makes no sense to me. When I feel threatened in the dark, am I supposed to say "hold it there bad guy, wait while I turn this flashlight fully on (giving away my position), and then allow me to nervously fumble around until I find the side switch, and then please wait one more second until the strobe comes on. OK, thank you for waiting, please be disoriented now."

I looked at Surefires today, they work as I want but don't include the strobe function. Really? I guess the idea is to use blinding high-lumens instead, and they are of course very pricey.

I'm open for suggestions of specific makes and models, but also would like to understand how others find the side-button strobe useful.

TIA, BR
Steamlight pretty good lights. Fenix built good the side button took me a second to get used to but it is faster to control the selection if in the hammer position. If I hold the flashlight in a michael myers style I am able to better use the bezel and the side control button becomes way difficult to use.
If my life depends on a light I choose surefire. Best built light, proven in the field, warranty for life. With the brightness of my sure fire there is no need for the strobe.
Old 02-07-2015, 03:41 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, guys. Good answers. Helps me to understand that I'm asking a lot of one easy-to-carry flashlight. Since 99% or better of my use is likely to be general EDC, mechanicking and the like, I want something that deploys and holsters rapidly and easily, and comes on low-power first. But then for the rare and unexpected defensive situation, I want fast, no-fumbling access to max brightness. De-emphasizing my preference for a strobe function will help me move toward a good solution, it appears.

If the hammer-fist grip is what I think it is, with the thumb on the tailcap and the lens by the little finger, yes, that's my pref. Clipping the light in my front pocket lens-down, I can deploy it in that position very quickly.
With the change in criteria, my new recommendation would be the Nitecore P25. It has mode memory, so if you leave it on low, it will start on low. Holding the mode switch for more than a second from the on position will jump it to MAX.....to satisfy the strobe, holding down the mode switch from standby will activate STROBE. It's even Picatinny Railing compatible to be able to be easily mounted to a firearm.

Also, I'd like to add the Nitecore SRT7. It uses a control ring to operate, easy enough with 1 hand. Modes are as follows from standby....(rotate right) infinite variable from firefly low to MAX then Strobe.......(rotate left) RED LEDs, GREEN LEDs, BLUE LEDs, BLUE/RED Police Strobe, Beacon.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:36 PM

If this is for SD you want simple, reliable, bright and easy to carry. If you want to collect small flashlights do not buy this one. After you get it nothing else will compare.

1. Surefire quality, ruggedness and reliability.
2. 500 lumens comes on first all the time. This is important if ever needed for an emergency. Easily toggled to 15 lumens for everyday tasks.
3. Multiple carry options: sturdy magnetic belt clip, optional pocket clip or neither. I don't use either of the supplied clips, just drop it in my pocket comfortably.
4. Ergonomic. It's unique size and shape allows a firm comfortable grip.
5. Easy one fingered operation of continuous or momentary and high/low transition.
6. Very small for a 500 lumen light. 1 x 1-1/2 x 3 3/4.
7. Mildly crenelated bezel, still a formidible impact weapon.

It is very expensive but IMO you get value for your dollar. If you shop around you can get it for about $100 less than MSRP.

Surefire Y300U http://www.surefire.com/y300u-a.html
Old 02-16-2015, 04:31 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,521 Times in 11,535 Posts

surefire Maximus 500 lumen, rechargeable, surefire 2211 wrist light, 200 lumen, 3 postion, rechargeable. I have several surefires, Millennium series kit, St Minimus,(100L),a Z2X and a couple of G2X. I also have a pelican or 2, same size as the Z2X, I just like surefire better.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:02 PM

I've found the Streamlight Sidewinder I/II to be sufficient for me. The compact II model takes whatever power source you can get in it and fits to a headlamp (I got the model with that), the compact one takes AA and works a VERY long time in between refittings provided you do so and I would because the battery is likely to explode before runtime is met in civilian situations.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:09 PM

On another note. Tactical lights are a pure joke. You might put a sight blinder on your primary weapon for the draw for target blindness but at no other point is such a light useful. Your primary light will not be some tactical nightmare of batteries and charging but something like a streamlight stylus pro or a 3D cell maglite with 80 hours of runtime.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:09 PM

Default thanks

Thanks for all the comments, guys. I ended up getting the Surefire EB1T and it suits me well. I've carried lights that come on high-power-first, and they don't work for me. Low-power-first is appropriate to the vast majority of my uses, and helps to preserve night vision.

The EB1 with the 2-stage tactical tailcap button comes on at low-power with a soft push, and high-power with a harder push. This gives me the instant high-power I desire, and I don't have to close my eyes or point the lens into my body constantly to get low-power. Twist the tailcap for constant-on low or high. Nice UI.

I still like the Olight UI better, but overall the Surefire is a better package for me. Like the Olight, the Surefire fits and disappears remarkably well in a jeans front pocket... I can draw it one-handed and have it in high-power hammergrip in about a second, leaving my other hand free to draw something else if needed. But unlike the Olight, the Surefire has a vastly better pocket clip, allowing fast one-handed "reholstering" without looking. Without this feature, I find myself willing to draw a light much less often, as I am already thinking about the hassle required to get it back in the pocket.

There's a happy ending to the purchase of the Olight, though. I ordered the WM10 weapon mount for it and mounted it on the magazine tube of an 870 via a Laserlyte Tri-Rail, and found that it makes a quite satisfactory weapon light. I had really wanted to buy a TLR-2 for this gun, but just couldn't justify the cost. The M10's tailcap button ended up exactly where my left thumb normally rests on the forend. In use, the outer thumb joint remains planted on the forend, and it just takes a little wiggle of the thumb tip to activate the light. Momentary or full-on, low beam, high or even strobe, it's remarkably easy and useful. Quick bursts of low for navigating a dark structure, and high beam for blinding an uninvited guest. And as an added bonus, in this position the front sight is illuminated, making sight acquisition ridiculously easy. Don't know how rugged it will prove to be, but so far so good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150211_081252381_HDR.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	96077   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150211_081458443.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	96078  
The Following User Says Thank You to brushy run For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2015, 04:19 PM

Oh, should have said that the Surefire button may get activated in my pocket now and then, but it can't click and stay on. That's a biggie for me.

Also, the Olight WM10 weapon mount is remarkably high-quality, especially for the $18 price on Amazon! Remarkably good design and price point.
Old 02-23-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Hello all, new member here from Kansas. I seem to be becoming a flashlight aficionado, and I'm starting ........I'm open for suggestions of specific makes and models, but also would like to understand how others find the side-button strobe useful.

TIA, BR
I am a flashlight nut too, and I also use lights for defense. You are right, the side button on the olight is very exclusive and useful. I don't see any other brand that has such nice instant strobe mode as they do. Beside the strobe feature, you might want to also consider the bezel.... the Olight M18 striker got a nice bezel that actually works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6VCZP4q5cs

See? smashing glass is okay.

The blinding power of a light not only rely on strobe though. The reflector is the key to blind-power. I have tried staring into a TM26 and still can walk into the light. But a weak 160 lumens pelican 7060 will not allow me to do that! it's about beam focus and intensity. A weaker lumen doesn't mean it doesn't blind if the beam is focused. Look for smooth reflector that is DEEP will give you a good blinding power. Tested on my eyes so far.. I proved the Lumintop TD15x, Olight M22 warrior with Smooth reflector, Sunwayman T20CS, Olight M18 striker, Pelican 7060, all has the best blind power that no one can look into and walk into.. it's truly amazing.

Not forget to sharpen some bezel for extra teethy strikes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRV70nNyxA4

You might then be afraid to put the light in your pocket later, but you can always get a nice quick draw holster made from hard plastic to avoid that issue!
Old 02-24-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Let us know what you decide to get? Ease of deployment/reholstering is a big consideration for EDC. I like the option of instant on max/turbo plus the option of instant strobe.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,976 Times in 3,820 Posts

As someone who worked a LOT of security in his day, I have used and gone through a ton of flashlights.

In my experience, I never spend a lot of money on flashlights. The most expensive one I ever buy is a Mag Lite.

I want to be unafraid to lose it, drop it from great heights, tumble around in a scrap with, use as a striking tool, etc. If I spend a a hundred bucks or so I would hesitate to give it the sort of hard use some of my lights have suffered.

My go to right now are three packs of Cree lights I got multiple packs of from Costco. They were inexpensive, very powerful and bright, use AAA batteries (that I find last quite a while stored inside), have a striking head, and the like. If one breaks, I am out like $6.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BingoFuelUSN View Post
I may sound like an old world kind of guy, but it would seem that if you are looking for an excellent tactical flashlight the first priority would be durability, the second would be energy consumption (run time) and third would be ergonomics (so in the mud and dark you could operate it efficiently).
All of the features you are mentioning, though valuable, are very low down the tactical list but much higher on the EDC or personal security and home security lists.
To me, and from what I've read, the best tactical equals SureFire for the reasons cited above. I want some of those same properties but don't expect to be in extreme dire straights (may mud or dark but hopefully not both ) and want to save some money so I go with Streamlight and their contemporaries with their simpler designs. If I am willing to take a bit of durability and usability risk I might look for a light that has a strobe and three light levels that can be operated simply with one hand and without programming the light and if I'd fine one, I'm good to go.
I also have to keep a light on me at times that is small and simple enough to keep in my mouth while I aviate/navigate/communicate. At times like those, it just has to turn on, preferably low light.
B
Yes, Streamlight and Surefire are good brands, but they are relatively expensive. For EDC alone, Fenix's quality and price are more suitable. It can be regarded as the top lighting equipment brand for daily use. I have used this brand of flashlight henduonian to own me for months and never left me. I clipped it in my back pocket and it was never free / escaped. In addition, the lumens are powerful enough to instantly block any unsuspecting human target.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:59 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,609 Times in 1,083 Posts

OP you make valid points. The thing with flashlights is it in an arms race, massive LED and mode advances the last 10 years, the problem is there an entire group of hobbyists out there called flashaholics( mostly suburban guys and kids) now driving demand. As you have correctly realised its a dazzling array of mode functions, switches, disco light functions to keep these buyers happy and despite a lot of the flashlights looking tactical, some are just not useful anymore.

generally for tactical you need something that comes on at high when you need it to also a clicky switch( where you can partially depress the switch for a momentary flash at targets, or click it all the way for constant beam). Anything else you want is up to you.

The other issue is LED tech and lumens output jumped 10x but battery power only increased about 3 fold over the same time. 700-800 lumens for a 18650 battery used to be the sweet spot for tactical lights. But again because flasho's wanted more power there are lights out there generating 2000+ off this battery size. The issue is they chew the battery and some drop down to lower levels just after a minute to stop the light overheating!Even the flashos admit these are gimmick power levels.

The military and high end operator brands held strong with their lower more sensible settings and basic interfaces but even they are starting to sway towards more functions, brighter lights and BS disco modes to keep folks buying.

For the record the different grades of lights are
1. high end custom and military brands. Mcgizmo, elzetta, malkoff, surefire, pflexpro. These often have lifetime warranties( malkoff even replaces lights if you drive over them in your bulldozer) and potted electronics where the circuitry is imbedded in a rubber compound to make them more shock and recoil resistant. They also tend to have less disco BS, more sensible light outputs and tacticaly sensible interface, aka switches.

2. The chinese tactical brands. Olight, fenix, thrunite, wolfeyes, nitecore, sunwayman etc. These can range from tactically sensible to silly toys, most are decent quality, usually 5-10 years warranty, there is always they chance you get a dud of course being chinese. Most are not potted electronics but then neither is surefire, a light can be built well enough without it, its just an added bonus.

3. Budget and cheapo's.

A lot of hunters here and our cops settled on decent chinese brands above, for lower cost and availability. They do however make sure they test a light or check out all the functions off youtube vids to make sure they will suit the task.

One last thing, check candela or CD as well as the lumens rating. Lumens is the total light output, candela is how far the light goes. Just like flood lights and spotlights on your truck. A flood has same lumens but lower candela. If your duty involves lighting up a bigger area like a crash scence you might only want lower CD, like 10,000 or so. Lights operating at 25,000-90,000 are much longer range lights but you will lose some flood ability in close. Also with the recommended light distances I find reducing it by a factor of 2 or 3 is more realistic. If it says 200 yards, its more like 80-100 yards usually.
Old 03-14-2020, 08:47 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,380 Times in 717 Posts

I never liked to mount a light to a firearm.

My training was always to hold to light out to the side at arms length so that if fired at they would aim at the light and your body would not be behind the light.