Bad neighbours - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 06-14-2020, 07:17 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 31,434 Times in 8,454 Posts

Advertise Here

I have been through a few bad neighbor situations in my life.

That is why when we built our rural home, it has a 1/4 mile long driveway & is situated just about in the middle of the 40 acres we bought.

I cannot even see any neighbors from our upper deck (pictured below)

Our BOL sits on 18.86 acres inside an old growth national forest.
The one single neighbor is situated 15 miles away & the next is 30 miles distant.

I AM BLESSED by our lack of neighbors in both instances.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:58 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,637 Times in 631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
I have been through a few bad neighbor situations in my life.

That is why when we built our rural home, it has a 1/4 mile long driveway & is situated just about in the middle of the 40 acres we bought.

I cannot even see any neighbors from our upper deck (pictured below)

Our BOL sits on 18.86 acres inside an old growth national forest.
The one single neighbor is situated 15 miles away & the next is 30 miles distant.

I AM BLESSED by our lack of neighbors in both instances.
Yes, you are blessed. Not everyone in the US can achieve your enviable two residences. What are the rest of us to do? Sincere question. How do the rest of us slug it out, while the entitled have two lovely, spacious properties? We cannot escape the suburbs for the foreseeable future. Are we just....toast?
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2020, 12:18 AM

Question - do you wish you had bought more than 40 acres?

I am 4 years out from retirement, know the area I want to move to, and am deciding how much acreage I really want. Was thinking 40-50 minimum, but have also wondered if at least 100 would be better.
Old 06-15-2020, 03:59 PM
You were the Executioner.

Thanked 4,318 Times in 1,158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivisky View Post
Yes, you are blessed. Not everyone in the US can achieve your enviable two residences. What are the rest of us to do? Sincere question. How do the rest of us slug it out, while the entitled have two lovely, spacious properties? We cannot escape the suburbs for the foreseeable future. Are we just....toast?
Entitled?? Entitled??!! What the hell? Let me set you straight. It doesn't have CRAP to do with being entitled. At least not for most people. It has to do with deciding what you want, and then doing what you have to in order to get it.

Cannot escape the suburbs? Bull****. You can if you want to badly enough. Toast? Try eating more toast and less restaurant food. Buy that toast with money you save from not having cable tv, smart phones, electronics, going to movies and concerts, and having car payments.

I certainly was not entitled when I lived like a scrounge in order to save money to buy land. I own multiple properties and yes, two actual homes. One I live in now and one I have a relative occupying. I drive an old car. Nice, runs great and won't die, but yeah, it's old. Most of you have children that are not as old as my car. My car would be eligible to drink, smoke, and vote. Literally. I also own other vehicles, a few not as old, but my main driver is old. I even run a small trucking company with equipment I own outright. And I lived like a frikking scrounge to get all those things. Did it suck? Yeah, but I ended up with things most other people don't. And I worked and sacrificed for every damn penny of it. Further, I know men who haven't even accomplished what I have. Mention that and male whiners really go into orbit. It doesn't matter what gender someone is, though. What matters is deciding you want something badly enough to pay for it by being frugal, stingy, and doing without because you know some day you won't have to do without anymore.

Yeah buddy, I'm 'entitled' alright. I'm 'entitled' to enjoy the fruits of my labor, of all the plain and near destitute living I did in order to pay for it all, over many, many years.

Stuck in the suburbs for the foreseeable future? Then what are your plans to get yourself out of it? Do you want to? Or just dog on people for being 'entitled'. Holy ****.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2020, 04:04 PM

Zippy, I would encourage you to buy the most land as opposed to the prettiest, most convenient, etc.

Land is a buffer zone, especially as Bunkerbuster is talking about it. Unless a piece of land has something really objectionable on it like a major swamp, or is all downhill, or nothing but rock, buy as much as you can. (And deed it into a trust if you can, if you wish to maximize your opsec). The more room you have between you and everyone/everything else, the happier you will be in the long run.

Most but not all of this place is untouched woodland. As far as I'm concerned, it will stay that way until I die. No need to develop it if you don't want, or likewise you can develop it and utilize it for your own needs.

But yeah, always buy more, even if it needs work. I had to do some work on the acreage immediately around the house as it had been logged out decades ago. Now, it's a pretty nice little park-like area around the house, outbuildings and gardens.

More land is better land.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2020, 04:12 PM

I need to stain my deck this summer......
Old 06-15-2020, 05:58 PM
Desperta Ferro!

Thanked 1,333 Times in 393 Posts

40 acres and a mule!

A chicken in every pot!

Seriously, I have wanted 100 and that same long, curving driveway that puts unwanted visitors directly in my crosshairs most of the way.

Drainage trench on all sides, nice and deep. Ankle busters. Swampy rain water in the ditch, further discouraging curious interlopers.

Motorized locking gate and retractable drawbridge (to retract into the bridge, not lift up).

Barbed wire and chain link fencing all around.

Wonderful workshop in the back with all the necessary motorized and non-powered hand tools. Plenty of room for my reloading setup.

4 car garage, so we have room for family if the weather gets dicey.

Greenhouse for 'maters and other growables.

Extended wrap-around deck in the back, covered, with screens to keep the skeeters out.

Nice basement in the house, with plenty of room for food storage in a slightly cooler environment.

That's the basic dream setup for me.

I'm reminded of an excellent line from the movie, "Gladiator":

"Three weeks from now I will be harvesting my crops. Imagine where you will be, and it will be so."

Great advice, along with the hard work ethos others have mentioned.

Dream it, do it.

"Sacrifice the unimportant to make the important a reality."

Who said that? I did.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to M.O.A. For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2020, 10:25 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazarine33 View Post
Entitled?? Entitled??!! What the hell? Let me set you straight. It doesn't have CRAP to do with being entitled. At least not for most people. It has to do with deciding what you want, and then doing what you have to in order to get it.

Cannot escape the suburbs? Bull****. You can if you want to badly enough. Toast? Try eating more toast and less restaurant food. Buy that toast with money you save from not having cable tv, smart phones, electronics, going to movies and concerts, and having car payments.

I certainly was not entitled when I lived like a scrounge in order to save money to buy land. I own multiple properties and yes, two actual homes. One I live in now and one I have a relative occupying. I drive an old car. Nice, runs great and won't die, but yeah, it's old. Most of you have children that are not as old as my car. My car would be eligible to drink, smoke, and vote. Literally. I also own other vehicles, a few not as old, but my main driver is old. I even run a small trucking company with equipment I own outright. And I lived like a frikking scrounge to get all those things. Did it suck? Yeah, but I ended up with things most other people don't. And I worked and sacrificed for every damn penny of it. Further, I know men who haven't even accomplished what I have. Mention that and male whiners really go into orbit. It doesn't matter what gender someone is, though. What matters is deciding you want something badly enough to pay for it by being frugal, stingy, and doing without because you know some day you won't have to do without anymore.

Yeah buddy, I'm 'entitled' alright. I'm 'entitled' to enjoy the fruits of my labor, of all the plain and near destitute living I did in order to pay for it all, over many, many years.

Stuck in the suburbs for the foreseeable future? Then what are your plans to get yourself out of it? Do you want to? Or just dog on people for being 'entitled'. Holy ****.
Hello there, I am not going to share all of the things we have sacrificed to attain our little suburban home, for good reason. But unless I divorced my spouse, there is no way I can move out to 40 acres on my own. Well actually if we divorced, I would be stuck in some urban area in a dinky apartment. So there is WAY more to it, than just a desire to move out of the burbs. It takes a lot of money, and finding the right spot, and none of that is easy if you are like us. I suppose divorce is an option for some, but not us. Spouse makes the most of the money-- I really have no say in where we live. That's the end of discussion.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:34 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,520 Times in 547 Posts

How does that old saying about making a bed go?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cavsgt For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2020, 11:03 PM

Your only limitations are in your mind.

You can't expect everyone to live as you do, and to call them 'entitled' is a slap in their face. If you don't want to raise your expectations or find ways to get what you want, that's your issue. Husband doesn't want to go along? There is more than one way to skin a cat. But that's your problem.

Don't label someone as 'entitled' when they've dedicated their lives and efforts to obtaining what they want. You just make yourself seem petty and jealous.

And petty is never a nice trait.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2020, 11:24 PM

Yeah, "buffer" is becoming more attractive.

I've got a buddy in Upstate NY who has 20 acres, but he backs up to, and is across the gravel from Forever Wild Lands that will never be built on, I like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZippyTheWonderPig For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 02:27 AM
A marathon not a sprint

Thanked 19,494 Times in 4,640 Posts

Yep I agree Mazarine33, that use of entitled was very disrespectful . Especially in response to Bunkerbuster sharing a bit about his set up , which we would all learn a little to pay attention to his posts because he is one whom has earned what he has working hard and being smart as well.

There are always trade offs to being remote as well as advantages . I honestly could not handle and utilize well , much more than the ten acres I have . I am fortunate the neighbours have not yet subdivided and I have some privacy from heavily forested ravines that surround my home but that leaves less acreage that is conventionally usable , but then leaves some room for the unconventional .
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hilltopper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 05:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,654 Times in 2,172 Posts

Quote:
Hello there, I am not going to share all of the things we have sacrificed to attain our little suburban home, for good reason. But unless I divorced my spouse, there is no way I can move out to 40 acres on my own. Well actually if we divorced, I would be stuck in some urban area in a dinky apartment. So there is WAY more to it, than just a desire to move out of the burbs. It takes a lot of money, and finding the right spot, and none of that is easy if you are like us. I suppose divorce is an option for some, but not us. Spouse makes the most of the money-- I really have no say in where we live. That's the end of discussion.
Sounds like you're not married but owned. At least in your mind. Tell her to get in the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 06:54 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,123 Times in 5,790 Posts

We had bad neighbors as a kid growing up. A couple of section-8 houses that were a petri dish of woe. So when my current house came up (needed a ton of work...) we grabbed it. I back up to state land on 2 sides, my one neighbor to the left is on a double plot with the house far from me. I can do anything I want.

But I'd ideally like to be on 20+ acres somewhere. I could do it, just dip a little deeper into the 401k.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2020, 04:17 PM

Relative of mine bought in an older but affordable subdivision that already had large lots. I don't know what size they were but I'd guess almost and acre. Subdivision was developed back in the 50s, little brick ranch style houses.

Over time, they bought out one neighbor on one side after their house burned and then tore down the burnt house. Later, the neighbor behind them sold them their house which needed a lot of work, some kind of foundation problem. They now have a very nice L shaped piece of property with a house and a second house he uses for his business.

Lots of ways to get ahead.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2020, 10:39 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Your only limitations are in your mind.

You can't expect everyone to live as you do, and to call them 'entitled' is a slap in their face. If you don't want to raise your expectations or find ways to get what you want, that's your issue. Husband doesn't want to go along? There is more than one way to skin a cat. But that's your problem.

Don't label someone as 'entitled' when they've dedicated their lives and efforts to obtaining what they want. You just make yourself seem petty and jealous.

And petty is never a nice trait.
Very interesting how Mazarine is calling me "petty....jealous" and not "nice" when I initially posed my reflection about Bunker Buster's extremely nice, affluent mountain home, as a "sincere question." There is no doubt in my mind that the photo which Bunker Buster has shown, includes a very spacious deck, a magnificent grill, 2 overstuffed patio chairs (I along with most people only have 1 sofa and a wooden rocker, no deck and no patio furniture!), a patio table, complete with a designer planter of flowers, a lavender candle, and the view....is probably worth several million dollars. Not everyone can purchase a home like THAT, and thus, Bunker Buster qualifies as being entitled to something that not everyone can have. That is purely logical given the fact there's 9 billion people on Earth and there are not 9 billion homes that are as gorgeous as Bunker Buster's. Does that mean that BB does not deserve it, or did not work hard for it? ROFL that is ludicrous to think that. I did not SAY that, but apparently Mazarine and several others assume that. Well there is nothing I can do to influence your thoughts since your minds are already made up (thanks to Mazarine who is rather hot-headed YEAH you are) that I am "petty" and "not nice". And other people saying "you made your bed now lay in it" which is about the furthest from the Truth! You would all be amazed if you ever met me in Real Life. Just keep in mind, there IS a very important Someone who reads every word we write, and every thought we think, so some day (maybe sooner than you think) you might get to meet my soul in the Heavenly realm and oh what a surprise you all have in store.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:04 PM

No, the way you worded it was indeed petty. You can't backpedal and try to make it sound innocuous. 'Enviable' was also your word.

Your question of what 'the rest of us' are supposed to do has been answered already, by more than just myself. I don't have any other answer to offer you.

And please don't try to beat me over the head with scripture. Covetousness is sinful, as is envy, and the whole 'plank in the eye' thing.....

I do expect to meet you in heaven some day, as well as many other people, the 'entitled' as well as those who are not, for whatever reason.

If you don't want people to 'assume' you mean one thing when you mean something else, maybe a little proof reading would help. See if what you are writing is coming across as you intended. And of course intention is everything.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2020, 11:15 PM
Hunter

Quote:
No, the way you worded it was indeed petty. You can't backpedal and try to make it sound innocuous. 'Enviable' was also your word.

Your question of what 'the rest of us' are supposed to do has been answered already, by more than just myself. I don't have any other answer to offer you.

And please don't try to beat me over the head with scripture. Covetousness is sinful, as is envy, and the whole 'plank in the eye' thing.....

I do expect to meet you in heaven some day, as well as many other people, the 'entitled' as well as those who are not, for whatever reason.

If you don't want people to 'assume' you mean one thing when you mean something else, maybe a little proof reading would help. See if what you are writing is coming across as you intended. And of course intention is everything.
There you go again, calling me petty, and then to add to it, you call me "covetous...sinful....envy" and imply that I cannot read, or write. Yes, YOUR intentions, Mazarine, are plentifully obvious. And NO, I did not quote scriptures. Not sure what your objective is, other than to call me names which I do not merit. Yes, some day you will be mightily surprised! Hope you will beg my forgiveness on that day.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:45 AM
Patiently Waiting

Thanked 13,899 Times in 4,238 Posts

Update - They have moved, and we now have new neighbours. A lady in about her late 40’s early 50’s and her 16 year old niece. They moved here from a small town about 15 minutes drive away. They seem nice.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jash For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
There you go again, calling me petty, and then to add to it, you call me "covetous...sinful....envy" and imply that I cannot read, or write. Yes, YOUR intentions, Mazarine, are plentifully obvious. And NO, I did not quote scriptures. Not sure what your objective is, other than to call me names which I do not merit. Yes, some day you will be mightily surprised! Hope you will beg my forgiveness on that day.
If you'd like to take this to pm, please pm me, where you may vent your spleen without forum reprisal.

But one caution I would make.... choose your words carefully, for example your use of the word 'entitled'. Words have consequences. Another example, I did not 'call you' covetous or sinful. Please read what I posted again. I said that those were sins.

I have no objective, except to explain to you that 'entitled' was an objectionable word for you to call BB. It's offensive, period. Even if you insist it isn't, it is. What you call entitled I would call 'blessed', or even 'rewarded'. Hard work and perseverance has it's rewards, often with material things. Not everyone is equally blessed or rewarded. But that should be no recrimination towards those who are blessed and rewarded.

"Yes, some day you will be mightily surprised[/I]! Hope you will beg my forgiveness on that day." So what does this mean? Forgiveness for you but not for me? Ma'am, you know *nothing* about me other than what you read on this forum. Nothing. So don't assume that you do.

God is God, and I am not. And neither are you.

This is all I will reply. As mentioned, if you want to pm me to continue the discussion and play games of semantics, please do. But choose your words carefully.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post: