Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm about to give up on my 1911 BFH Pistol and Revolver Forum 174 03-18-2018 03:29 PM
My Trip To The 2018 SHOT Show kev General Discussion 14 01-28-2018 09:40 PM
Rhode Island Meet & Greet Quiet Bear Rhode Island 2 06-25-2017 10:41 AM
Wisconsin Winter Meet & Greet: January 28, 2017 AGreyMan Wisconsin 13 01-29-2017 03:23 PM

Old 01-29-2018, 01:14 PM

Default Wisconsin Meet & Greet: June 9, 2018

Advertise Here

Let's do it again!

What: Wisconsin Preparedness and Self-reliant minded people getting together to chat, exchange ideas and discuss food storage with people who (probably) don't think you are crazy.

When: Saturday, June 9, 10:00am to ??? Arrive when you'd care to, leave when you want to.

Where: Mill Bluff State Park, which is near Camp Douglas, WI. We'll be in the picnic shelter on East side of Funnel Rd. The picnic shelter area should have a sign with a red "e" on it.

Why: We can all learn from each other if we get out from behind our keyboards and meet each other.

What to bring:

1) Whatever you'd like to eat and drink. There will be a charcoal grill and plenty of charcoal, with a spatula and tongs. There will be a selection of soft drinks and water provided at no cost.

2) Kids. There is a playground and a swimming area on a pond. There are stairs to the top of the bluff with a great view.

3) Notepad. (optional!) You might meet someone you'd like to talk to later.

Cost: Nothing. Well, technically you need a state park sticker to get in, but if you are really broke you can park your car on Funnel Road and walk the 75 yards in to the picnic shelter.

Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to AGreyMan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2018, 03:54 PM

Hi Mr. AGreyMan,
I'm new to this forum. Have you held this meet and greet before? Was it well attended? I'm from this general vicinity and would possibly like to attend.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:39 PM

Hello Nina:

We have had this meet and greet before, as well as a winter Meet & Greet.

Although I honor peoples privacy and don't list who was there, you can go through the Wisconsin section here on Survivalistboards and find some of the threads where people say they attended and had a good time. Nobody has ever said "That was really awful! I am sorry I went!"

We have had an OK turnout. I think we can do better. I understand people's reluctance to go someplace new and meet people that they have never seen before, but it's a public place and we're normal people!

The thing is, I have developed great friendships with people I have met at these Meet & Greets. There have been no "Rambo" types, just people like me who want to keep our families safe if hard times come. I have met and learned from a grandmother into naturopathy, from farmer couple into EMP protection and from former Army EOD now into beekeeping.

So, you are welcome to come and join us!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2018, 07:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,411 Times in 1,223 Posts

I would be interested in going. You are a lot closer than the group I met up in Milwaukee area in the past. I will try to keep my calendar clear.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:12 PM

That's reassuring that you haven't encountered any weirdos. A few from my group attended a couple of the Wisconsin III%ers Militia meetings and we lost our zeal for meeting strangers based on that. They were, to a one, whackadoodle. Sorry if any here are part of that group. Our experience with them goes back a few years, so maybe there are rational humans amongst them now :D
Anyway, I'll keep the date on my calendar. The location is good, and if we can meet honest, normal like-mindeds, I'm all in!
Old 03-12-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGreyMan View Post
Hello Nina:

We have had this meet and greet before, as well as a winter Meet & Greet.

Although I honor peoples privacy and don't list who was there, you can go through the Wisconsin section here on Survivalistboards and find some of the threads where people say they attended and had a good time. Nobody has ever said "That was really awful! I am sorry I went!"

We have had an OK turnout. I think we can do better. I understand people's reluctance to go someplace new and meet people that they have never seen before, but it's a public place and we're normal people!

The thing is, I have developed great friendships with people I have met at these Meet & Greets. There have been no "Rambo" types, just people like me who want to keep our families safe if hard times come. I have met and learned from a grandmother into naturopathy, from farmer couple into EMP protection and from former Army EOD now into beekeeping.

So, you are welcome to come and join us!
That's reassuring that you haven't encountered any weirdos. A few from my group attended a couple of the Wisconsin III%ers Militia meetings and we lost our zeal for meeting strangers based on that. They were, to a one, whackadoodle. Sorry if any here are part of that group. Our experience with them goes back a few years, so maybe there are rational humans amongst them now
Anyway, I'll keep the date on my calendar. The location is good, and if we can meet honest, normal like-mindeds, I'm all in!
Old 03-13-2018, 12:35 PM

Happy that you and some others are considering dropping by!

Another thought is that there is no "us" putting this event on. It's just me, a middle-aged family guy. I do the legwork for the event because I am a preparedness-minded person who loves to learn things from other preparedness-minded folks.

There's no ulterior motive: I won't try to recruit people to a super-secret-squirrel survivalist group. I won't try to get folks to join a militia. I have no survival food Ponzi scheme to tell people about. I won't try to get folks to build illegal supressors.

I just want people to come and have a pop, and be comfortable informally teaching and learning from each other things we can do to keep ourselves and loved ones safe, warm and fed in any sort of calamity.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:10 PM

I'm just curious and impatient. I think there are several people here who are very local, meaning within 20 miles of La Crosse. I also know how hard it is to schedule anything that people can attend. However, June feels like a million years away and I would like to know if there is interest in meeting sooner. Apologies if I am coming across pushy or overeager, especially since I've been on this forum all of two days. Its just that I have big goals and I don't believe we have loads of time to accomplish what I want to see. I briefly mentioned this stuff in my Introduce Yourself thing, and I'll sum it up here: I'm not really on this forum for endless chit chat, and to philosophize or theorize or talk prepper talk. I'm here to learn some specific things, but I am mostly here to scope out other like-mindeds, especially in my area. Ultimately, I am here to build ACTUAL relationships, in person, with other non-crazy preppers for the purpose of building a network locally, eventually regionally. This network would function as our own underground life support in SHTF, to trade with, buy and sell with, negotiate with other networks together, you get the idea. I have my own immediate "group" of five other families and that's not changing, but we preppers are going to need each other, in bigger numbers than most of us have currently. So anyway...sorry AGreyMan, I'm not trying to hijack your thread or your event. I plan to do June also, but lets aim for sooner than June too, even if its just two or three of us?
Old 03-14-2018, 08:11 AM

I think it's a great idea.

Maybe to avoid confusing the two events, once you get a time and place decided upon, throw a new thread with that information/invitation up on the Wisconsin (and maybe Minnesota?) board.

I think there are a few folks in the La Crosse area who might be interested.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:16 AM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 31,588 Times in 11,074 Posts

I too think this is a great idea. Keep the ball rolling!
Old 03-17-2018, 11:12 AM

I'm interested. I get up to Lacrosse all the time, the son is in college there.

That's an easy drive for me.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:39 PM

Well, after my very enthusiastic post from 3/13 about wanting to do a meet up before June, I realized I have almost no time to do that! So I'll be aiming to make it to AGreyMan's event on June 9th. I do want to extend an invitation to any folks in the general vicinity of La Crosse to reach out via PM and introduce yourself. Here's to a productive spring!
~Nina
Old 03-18-2018, 09:38 PM

Iím in.

I was looking forward to be invited to join a super secret squirrel militia group but we canít have everything we want.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexpedip View Post
Iím in.

I was looking forward to be invited to join a super secret squirrel militia group but we canít have everything we want.
Well, I will see what I can do about inviting you. I'll warn you, I am thinking about making the initiation rough. Something like eating a bunch of kale. Still working on it, though.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:58 PM

Let's see if I can get some photos to show up....

Old 05-14-2018, 06:30 PM

About a month away, folks!
Old 05-18-2018, 08:46 AM

Still planning to be there, but would like a headcount on how many others are planning to come?
Old 05-20-2018, 02:40 PM

Not sure you're going to get many takers to post whether they are coming or not. Many preppers tend to be a bit secretive.

Then you have folks who say they are coming and then don't (something came up, etc.) and folks that thought they weren't going to be able to attend but circumstances change and they can attend.

I will be there in any case, and I know for certain (well, as certain as anyone can be in cases like this) that another six people will be attending. But beyond that, I just plan to welcome anybody who makes the trip!
Old 06-07-2018, 11:17 AM

2 days, folks.

Contact me with any questions!
Old 06-08-2018, 11:27 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,049 Times in 380 Posts

Just found this. Wish I could be there, but alas, both parties here are working this week-end.

RR