Sig Romeo 5 on Ar15 - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sig Sauer Expands Romeo Optics Line AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 03-05-2018 08:30 PM
My SIG P229 SAS Gen 2 9mm is Better Than Your SIG Legion AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 11-12-2017 10:30 AM
Sig Sauer SIG Mosquito 22LR Pistol, Black Finish Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 08-24-2017 09:16 AM
Sig Sauer P238 Equinox 380acp Pistol (238-380-EQ) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 08-24-2017 09:12 AM
SIG Sauer P320 Romeo 9mm 4.7" 17rd Stainless Steel - $719.99 apps47inc For Sale 0 02-10-2017 03:10 PM

Old 11-11-2019, 07:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,084 Times in 2,247 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnYankee View Post
I tried 2 Romeo 5's. Returned them both due to a pretty bad flaring issue I'd get when lighting was to my rear while shooting. It was bad enough to distract me from the dot in certain conditions. I ended up getting a Holosun HS510C and I love it.
Red dots flair like that due to astigmatism. That holosun model is supposed to one of the best if you have astigmatism.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 10:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 24,222 Times in 7,561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clc79092 View Post
I have a Romeo5 on an AR pistol with a brace 10.5 in barrel. I like it. Keeps a zero. Makes hitting what I want dirt simple. Co-witnesses with iron sights also.
Same setup for me. 300 BO.

The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2019, 08:17 PM
Originalist

Thanked 1,452 Times in 595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmas View Post
Red dots flair like that due to astigmatism. That holosun model is supposed to one of the best if you have astigmatism.

I have an astigmatism and also get the “flaring” from the reticle but also understand what he’s talking about the rear lighting flare. That is more of a “camera” flare type of thing where the light shines into the ocular lens and reflects off the internal surfaces of the optic. I also had that happen with the Sig Romeo. I believe it’s due to having virtually no rim around the ocular lens and your head being too far back to block then sun from entering. I’m not sure if this is an issue in other red dots but I experienced it on my Sig Romeo. Otherwise I do like it. It won’t win any feature competitions but it’s simple, has good battery life, holds zero, has auto on and off. I co-witness with my iron sites so if It takes a dump I can still get the job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ColoradoMinuteMan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 01:15 PM
Psalm 23:4

Thanked 8,991 Times in 1,960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTail View Post
For a range toy it doesn't matter. For something you may bet your life on..... I'd consider Aimpoint Pro an excellent budget SHTF red dot. It's a little heavy, but will likely outlive your rifle barrel. They are truly tough. You can find em on ebay for under $300.

This one still works after a fire that destroyed the rifle it's on. I'd still put back up irons on every rifle JIC.

Picked up a Holosun 503R (left). It's a chinese copy of the ampoint micro (right). Have to say on the surface I like it better than the T2/H2 with the exception that it doesn't have caps. What it does have is a circle dot reticle that is significantly crisper than eotech's in a smaller lighter package. The glass is nice. Only a very slight blue tint. No distortion and almost no parallax at 50yds. The rheostat is smoother with crisper detents than aimpoint. The windage and elevation are stiff, but have crisp detents.

Not saying it's better than an aimpoint. Durability of aimpoint is a known quantity. This holosun has no track record to stand on. They strap a lot of bells and whistles to optics these days. Auto on, auto off, auto brightness, solar, etc. The auto brightness on RMRs is nice, but I see all this stuff as more to break. I picked this model because it has the same simplicity as the aimpoint. If it proves durable, then it's an awesome RDS for the money, but that remains to be seen. At this point I wouldn't bet my life on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to RedTail For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 07:58 AM
Prepper elite

Thanked 3,944 Times in 1,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
Same setup for me. 300 BO.

Trigger lock ?

Yeah I put mine on my blackout as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to recklessdriver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 01:50 PM
that's like, your opinion

Thanked 24,332 Times in 10,074 Posts

i have primary arms (holosun), trijicon MROs, aimpoint compm4s, and also have a couple of sig romeo 5s....

near as i can tell the holosuns and sigs hold zero and have pretty good heat resistance (have one on a IWI gallil pistol gas rail)... ive had good luck with them, but that is not to say that they will hold up as well as a trijicon or aimpoint in a heavy use/impact test.

id generally trust my life to the decent budget red dots (like the holosun or sig) since i am not gonna be jumping out of chinooks or aussie rappeling down vertical cliffs with em.
The Following User Says Thank You to mefunkymxw For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 04:13 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by recklessdriver View Post
Trigger lock ?

Yeah I put mine on my blackout as well.
I have a lot of guns out on racks, and I also have grandkids around every so often. So ANY gun that isn't on me or secured in a safe gets a trigger lock.
I usually use the combo models, but I figured with the 300 BO, another level of "hey, this isn't just another AR" would be good..
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 05:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,819 Times in 1,902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser6863 View Post
So a couple of things:

1. Red dots are the fastest sights for CQB and mid range, on a AR, 200 yards is probably the practical maximum.

2. Red dots with no power are simply an empty glass tube and useless. So for SHFT or the end of the world, EMP, etc. you are going to need batteries and an EMP or solar event could render them useless. (Unless stored properly).

3. An optic with an etched reticle works whether it has a battery or not. Illuminated reticles are not as fast as a 1x (really 0x) red dots, but they are not too much slower.

That being said, I have a Holosun Red Dot on my AR now and it looks a lot like the SIG Romeo, enough to make me wonder if they are actually made by Holosun for SIG?

The model I have has a Chevron instead of the dot and has the "65 MOA Donut of Death", like the Eotechs have, for CQB. I like this better as the chevron point is an infinite point and won't obscure the target like a dot will. The Chevron also gets you from 50 to 300 meters (yards), which is nice on a rifle. The ACSS reticle also has ranging dots from 400 yards up to 600 yards, but you really need a swing away magnifier ($100+) to use these, unless you have excellent vision.

Here's a picture of the ACSS reticle. You can find a ton of YouTube videos detailing this, as well.

The Holosun looks pretty close to the Romeo and they both have the auto-shut-off feature.

[IMG]Holosun Paralow HS503G Red Dot Sight - ACSS CQB Reticle[/IMG]

Holosun Paralow HS503G Red Dot Sight - ACSS CQB Reticle

SIG Romeo

Holosun also makes all of the Primary Arms Optics for them. This also includes their 3X and 5X Prism with dots. These are the best of both worlds for some, as they have the etched reticle, that works with dead batteries or you can illuminate them like a red dot.

Solar event =/ EMP.

Solar will affect power lines and potentially everything connected directly.
Old 11-21-2019, 05:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,819 Times in 1,902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser6863 View Post
So a couple of things:

1. Red dots are the fastest sights for CQB and mid range, on a AR, 200 yards is probably the practical maximum.

2. Red dots with no power are simply an empty glass tube and useless. So for SHFT or the end of the world, EMP, etc. you are going to need batteries and an EMP or solar event could render them useless. (Unless stored properly).

3. An optic with an etched reticle works whether it has a battery or not. Illuminated reticles are not as fast as a 1x (really 0x) red dots, but they are not too much slower.

That being said, I have a Holosun Red Dot on my AR now and it looks a lot like the SIG Romeo, enough to make me wonder if they are actually made by Holosun for SIG?

The model I have has a Chevron instead of the dot and has the "65 MOA Donut of Death", like the Eotechs have, for CQB. I like this better as the chevron point is an infinite point and won't obscure the target like a dot will. The Chevron also gets you from 50 to 300 meters (yards), which is nice on a rifle. The ACSS reticle also has ranging dots from 400 yards up to 600 yards, but you really need a swing away magnifier ($100+) to use these, unless you have excellent vision.

Here's a picture of the ACSS reticle. You can find a ton of YouTube videos detailing this, as well.

The Holosun looks pretty close to the Romeo and they both have the auto-shut-off feature.

[IMG]Holosun Paralow HS503G Red Dot Sight - ACSS CQB Reticle[/IMG]

Holosun Paralow HS503G Red Dot Sight - ACSS CQB Reticle

SIG Romeo

Holosun also makes all of the Primary Arms Optics for them. This also includes their 3X and 5X Prism with dots. These are the best of both worlds for some, as they have the etched reticle, that works with dead batteries or you can illuminate them like a red dot.

Solar event =/ EMP.

Solar will affect power lines and potentially everything connected directly.
The Following User Says Thank You to DWwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2019, 07:39 PM
Shade Tree Gynecologist

Thanked 6,881 Times in 2,327 Posts

my 5 has been pretty good so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to SCPigpen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2019, 02:28 PM

Someone told me me Aimpoint claims their sights would not be affected by EMP, any idea if there is any truth to that? Not really a concern of mine as much as just a general curiosity.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oregone_89 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2019, 02:49 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 34,834 Times in 8,300 Posts

Old thread but quite relevant.

I bought 6 Sig Romeo5 optics on Black Friday sale for $100 each, came with a battery, and free shipping. They have 'shake awake' tech and something like 5-7 year battery life.

I bought a 10 pack of batteries for $4. That's 40 cents per battery. I've got 2.5 batteries per optic. That alone gives me about 2 decades for each optic of use. Even if I get half that amount, batteries are cheap and easy to source now, and I can put back 10 batteries for each optic for a trivial amount of money (10 batteries per optic is $4, giving me basically a lifetime of use assuming the optic doesn't fail first).

I've not yet shot them, but I've parked them on strategically important arms.

I considered the Holosun, and similar UV powered optics. Their prices were generally 1.5x-4x times the cost of the Sig Romeo5. Several hundred dollars more. I'd rather just spend $4 on a lifetime supply of batteries, per optic, which will last many years per battery. I've got an ammo can full of various batteries, stored in a cool dry place. Not worried about not having certain batteries.

I bought these after having extensively watched reviews for durability, usefulness, clarity, longevity, toughness, etc. and been very impressed.

Fiddling with them the controls are easy to use, the optic has great brightness settings, and I'm fully confident they will aid in fast target acquisition. One thing I also like is that each comes with two different baseplates. One baseplate is flat, and one is elevated with see-thru area if you have low iron sights (like on an FAL or AK). A great extra and I've got both in use depending on the gun.

For $100, it's almost less money and more useful than irons. Backup sights are useful of course but the price of these optics for what you get is extremely impressive.

While I've not yet put any rounds down range with these, I'm very satisfied for the price vs. quality.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2019, 04:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,918 Times in 1,774 Posts

Only thing those rascals need is some form of attached flip up lends caps instead of the rubber "bra" which you can easily lose.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woodyp For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2019, 06:16 PM
Retired Army

Thanked 17,090 Times in 3,885 Posts

I have the Romeo 5 on 3 different rifles. (well, on is a "pistol") They have survived and worked well. Even have one on a .44 mag lever gun and it has transformed it into my favorite gun to shoot.

Here is an in-depth review I found on youtube. At just after the 13 minute mark, he even fires a shotgun at it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuq_N129SAI
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 01:42 PM
Retired Army

Thanked 17,090 Times in 3,885 Posts

Make that 4 guns... Good little sight for the money.

The Following User Says Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2020, 10:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,253 Times in 1,818 Posts

I own a couple too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rural Buckeye Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 02:11 PM
Prepared

I have a couple of the XDR model Romeo 5's. I like the idea of the AAA battery being easier to source.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:50 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
Only thing those rascals need is some form of attached flip up lends caps instead of the rubber "bra" which you can easily lose.
Every flip up lens cover I have ever had has been broken.

I take the bra off, and put it in my pocket. When I am done, I take it out of my pocket and put it on the unit. Easy peasy.