Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 11-06-2014, 07:47 PM

Talking Hello

Advertise Here

Hello to any fellow Rhode Islanders!

I am from Warwick and am learning all i can about different skills and things related to prepping while doing my best to get my preps started up to a satisfactory level and going steady.

I would love to ultimately have a group in RI that could meet and trade knoweledge, share skills, etc....

Some things about me

I have a 14 pound Chihuahua, I bike since i can't drive, i walk and go to the gym, i like to draw and read. I like the outdoors but don't have much access to any outdoor activities. My brother will be teaching me to shoot and care for guns in the next few months. I am learning how to make primative weapons, nets, and will make as many items as i can since it all just fascinates me, that and i can stay busy during the winter and i can sell the extras that i don't use for my own preps and either keep supplies going or use the money for more preps. (The weapons will wait til spring unless they can be made indoors)
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2014, 12:38 PM

I am from Pawtucket and I know what you mean by not having alot of access to outdoor activities. I had to drive an hour and a half to Connecticut for a primitive skills gathering since that was the closest one around here, but it turns out it wasn't even for the general public and it was very small. But I did walk away with lots of wild turkey feathers, sinew, and a bear skull.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:39 PM

Rock Balancer,
It sucks that i can't drive it limits me even more. I plan on biking a lot next spring through fall. That way i can get to more places by bus and bike.

I am also going to try and get my uncle to teach me to hunt and or skin/butcher kills. That way if i have to in the future it won't take such a mental toll on me.

My brother already said he'd help teach me about guns and how to shoot. I also want to make hand made bows and arrows, and primitive weapons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2014, 02:41 PM
Never Abducted

Thanked 47,062 Times in 12,773 Posts

Hello and welcome.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:56 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,069 Posts

Welcome aboard lots of great info to be had here
ZRT
Old 11-22-2014, 03:15 PM
I told you so!

Thanked 3,616 Times in 1,807 Posts

Welcome from Washington(the state,not that other place.) JT
Old 11-27-2014, 06:25 PM

I built my own primitive bow and arrows, if you want tips let me know.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rock Balancer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2014, 09:39 AM

Rock Balancer
I can use all the tips i can get. Websites, videos, personal knowledge. Would love it all! Started learning about the arrows but am still a total novice at it. Was playing with old sticks and rocks to see what I could do with them. (I was bored one day lol so i decided to play with some sticks and rocks) never know when knives go away or break.

It takes longer but kind of more satisfying to me.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:52 PM

Well for one thing I can tell you, you will have a very hard time finding the right stave(piece of wood to make the bow) to make your own bow around here. The natives of RI used to use Black Locust wood, but what grows around here now is very twisted or infected with bugs. I tried and failed five different times to make a bow from wood around the area until I gave in and purchased a hickory stave online. If you find a good piece of wood, make sure its a hardwood. Here is a list of trees that I know of that you can make a bow out of that grows around here, Black Locust, Oak, Maple, Beech, any fruit bearing tree or nut bearing tree, there are others but Im drawing a blank. You can make arrows out of cedar but do not make the bow out of cedar. You can also make arrows out of reeds, bamboo, or any straight branch that is not heavy(most hardwood is too heavy). Flint, obsidian, bone, make good arrow heads.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rock Balancer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2014, 11:07 PM

Talking

So basically hardwoods for bows and (softwoods?), reeds, bamboo and lighter materials for arrows? I still have to look up alot of info on trees and rocks and nature in general. Trying to cram alot of info in to fast i think but i love learning.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:01 PM

Yea, hardwood for bows, softwood and lighter stuff for arrows. Cedar is ideal for arrows if your using wood. There may be some hardwoods that are light enough for arrows, but none that I know of off hand. If you can't find turkey feathers for the arrows, the wing feathers of canadian geese which are everywhere in parks and fields, work fine.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:08 PM

A bit late to the party but shout out from ashaway
Old 05-11-2015, 01:46 PM
Prepared

Hi Suicidalgrunt5 and all Rhode Islanders. Former Westerly RI guy here who worked in Rock Balancer's Pawtucket. My best buddy is a handicapped boy who lives in Ashaway. I used to take care of him. Great family too.

Moved to the American Redoubt largely based on James Wesley Rawles advice and never regretted it. Met my wonderful wife here and now we are building our Homestead in the mountains. We are truly blessed.

Be safe Rhode Islanders.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:27 PM

Shout out from Cranston!
Old 12-13-2015, 11:16 PM

Hi Conorpholan.

If I spelled it wrong please forgive me

I haven't been on in a LONG time.

Look forward to talking with ya
Old 04-03-2016, 08:33 AM

Coventry here! How's everyone doing?
Old 06-30-2016, 01:28 PM

Hey fellow RI, Cumberland here!
Old 07-15-2016, 05:12 PM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 11,240 Times in 4,332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Balancer View Post
Well for one thing I can tell you, you will have a very hard time finding the right stave(piece of wood to make the bow) to make your own bow around here. The natives of RI used to use Black Locust wood, but what grows around here now is very twisted or infected with bugs. I tried and failed five different times to make a bow from wood around the area until I gave in and purchased a hickory stave online. If you find a good piece of wood, make sure its a hardwood. Here is a list of trees that I know of that you can make a bow out of that grows around here, Black Locust, Oak, Maple, Beech, any fruit bearing tree or nut bearing tree, there are others but Im drawing a blank. You can make arrows out of cedar but do not make the bow out of cedar. You can also make arrows out of reeds, bamboo, or any straight branch that is not heavy(most hardwood is too heavy). Flint, obsidian, bone, make good arrow heads.
You can make arrows from willow. Willow is the best wood for arrows. You CAN make a bundle bow from willow also. Alder is one of the few hardwoods that make good arrows.

Do you have serviceberry in RI? Makes an excellent bow. You can order serviceberry bushes on-line. Grow for a year or two, make your bow.

Ash is a superb bow making wood. I KNOW you have Ash trees in RI.

The best arrowheads IMHO are made from deer antler. Easier to make than stone points, don't break like stone points.

Gut makes the best bow strings in my opinion. They're strong, very long, and can be bought as "sausage casings" from many grocery stores.

Gut also makes some of the best cordage.

Hope this helps.