TV Set Recommendation - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here

Old 10-17-2019, 08:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 29,733 Times in 7,718 Posts

Advertise Here

Thanks for the list. That will make things much easier. Copied and saved.,
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 11:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,278 Times in 1,688 Posts

For years I streamed via an Acer netbook HTPC but it finally got slow and troublesome to use as do most Windows PCs so I switched to Roku. The Roku problem is the remote, I have a Chromebook Roku app on my Chromebook which lets me use the keyboard for search.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,682 Times in 700 Posts

fyi you can get a remote control ap for your phone for both Roku and firestick...
The Following User Says Thank You to gungatim For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 12:18 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 73,610 Times in 21,964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gungatim View Post
fyi you can get a remote control ap for your phone for both Roku and firestick...
My smart phone is so capable, I think I am now obsolete.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 04:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,506 Times in 2,439 Posts

I was checking on the Roku and noticed that while those channels may be free you still have to give Roku your billing information in order to use the Roku stick.

If there were any way to use a Roku stick without giving any billing information then I might potentially be willing to give one a try, though honestly I am not really seeing much of anything that I would have any interest in on the list shown below. I tried Hulu once about six years ago or so where they gave me a free month and those buggers also required me to give them billing information as well. I tried the free one month trial of it for three days and and then had them turn off my service, I didn't trust them having my billing information for something I would never buy or agree to pay for and I certainly was not impressed with Hulu at all. The same goes with Roku, there is absolutely zero chance that I would ever pay anything for the service so it makes no sense to give out my billing info.

I won't even let places like Amazon or Ebay have my billing information until such time as I "actually" make a purchase. These companies make no sense to me with this billing info crap, that and friggin phone numbers, it will be a cold day in hell before I give any site on the internet my damned phone number... now the number to the local pizza place, sandwich shop etc I have no problem with giving out their numbers to internet sites that require a phone number...
Old 10-18-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
I was checking on the Roku and noticed that while those channels may be free you still have to give Roku your billing information in order to use the Roku stick.

If there were any way to use a Roku stick without giving any billing information then I might potentially be willing to give one a try, though honestly I am not really seeing much of anything that I would have any interest in on the list shown below. I tried Hulu once about six years ago or so where they gave me a free month and those buggers also required me to give them billing information as well. I tried the free one month trial of it for three days and and then had them turn off my service, I didn't trust them having my billing information for something I would never buy or agree to pay for and I certainly was not impressed with Hulu at all. The same goes with Roku, there is absolutely zero chance that I would ever pay anything for the service so it makes no sense to give out my billing info.

I won't even let places like Amazon or Ebay have my billing information until such time as I "actually" make a purchase. These companies make no sense to me with this billing info crap, that and friggin phone numbers, it will be a cold day in hell before I give any site on the internet my damned phone number... now the number to the local pizza place, sandwich shop etc I have no problem with giving out their numbers to internet sites that require a phone number...
They have never charged my card anything. In fact, not even sure they have the info. When I registered, the first time something didn't work, and the second ime I didn't give the info.
I don't think they sell phone numers or anything. Millions of people use Roku, so if they had some deceptive practice, they would get fried in the reviews.

Instead, they are being hailed as the leader in a new technology that is gaining market share like crazy.

i agree there is not much worth watching on TV , but this at least gives you a lot of access for little or no money.

A few years ago everyone was telling me to try Netflix. So I signed up, and part of the process was to pre-select a few movies that they would start sending you. I went through the entire list, then unsubscribed. There was nothing on the list that I wanted to see.

Amazon Prime gives a decent selection of things to watch, and you get free fast delivery as well. I would suggest this combined with the Roku as giving a lot of bang for the buck.

The Roku also acts sort of like a DVR that you don't have to program or worry about storage. Most of the shows are on-demand and you can fast forward, rewind, etc.

I sort of stumbled on the Roku as I needed to set up a display monitor at work with the corporate presentation on an auto play loop. Bought a roku box unit for that, and then screwed around with it a bit in the process of getting it working. Was impressed that I was at work, in a building with no TV reception, and I could call up all these free news channels and movies.

I have access to more content than I had with Dish TV. and with Dish I was paying between $60/mo to $110/mo according to whether they had me in a 6 month promo rate or it expired and they jacked their price up without notice. I enjoyed cancelling that "service" very much.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 03:02 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,506 Times in 2,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
They have never charged my card anything. In fact, not even sure they have the info. When I registered, the first time something didn't work, and the second ime I didn't give the info.
I don't think they sell phone numers or anything. Millions of people use Roku, so if they had some deceptive practice, they would get fried in the reviews.

Instead, they are being hailed as the leader in a new technology that is gaining market share like crazy.

i agree there is not much worth watching on TV , but this at least gives you a lot of access for little or no money.

A few years ago everyone was telling me to try Netflix. So I signed up, and part of the process was to pre-select a few movies that they would start sending you. I went through the entire list, then unsubscribed. There was nothing on the list that I wanted to see.

Amazon Prime gives a decent selection of things to watch, and you get free fast delivery as well. I would suggest this combined with the Roku as giving a lot of bang for the buck.

The Roku also acts sort of like a DVR that you don't have to program or worry about storage. Most of the shows are on-demand and you can fast forward, rewind, etc.

I sort of stumbled on the Roku as I needed to set up a display monitor at work with the corporate presentation on an auto play loop. Bought a roku box unit for that, and then screwed around with it a bit in the process of getting it working. Was impressed that I was at work, in a building with no TV reception, and I could call up all these free news channels and movies.

I have access to more content than I had with Dish TV. and with Dish I was paying between $60/mo to $110/mo according to whether they had me in a 6 month promo rate or it expired and they jacked their price up without notice. I enjoyed cancelling that "service" very much.
I had Amazon prime for a bit, though I was unimpressed with what they had on it for shows and when I compared the shipping costs and whatnot I realized it wasn't actually giving me any kind of actual deal. I got rid of it about a year an half ago, man was that a friggin pain. I had to go through the process to have them shut it off 3 times before they actually shut it down then I had to through the online chat help deal 3 times to get them to finally give us our refund on the last month of service they shouldn't have charged us for. After all of that I will never deal with them again it isn't worth the hassle.

I just use some of the free show sites like 123movies etc, they have pretty much every series you have ever heard of, or in my case "never" heard of... lol.. I stopped watching tv 20 years ago so I have no idea what series there have been since then. I figure why pay anything for shows when you can just get them for free with no subscription, no billing or even registering as a user. I would advise having a good ad blocker if you use any of these sites...
Old 10-19-2019, 03:42 AM

Yeah, it's not like it is the invention of fire or anything, but for the price, it gives a lot of capabilities.

I can watch the news from any city in the US.

I can just hit "cast" and throw any Youtube up on the big TV from the laptop or cell phone. Kinda nice and easy way to play some music videos.

I was able to watch a football game on TV, streamed from a cell phone app.

The football 5 to 10 minute hilite reel for each game is really nice. I don't have the patience to sit through a ball game anymore, unless it is the Superbowl, but I do like watching the games condensed into 5 to 10 minutes hilites.

And we all know about fake news now. That Haystack news channel is the bomb.
It assembles the best news coverage from about a dozen sources, and is customizable to what you want to hear. This alone easily justifies the 60 bucks for a Roku for me.
And the Reuters streaming news service is very good for world news. You select a 10 15 or 30 minute world news summary and it makes it happen. Any time, day or night, you can get updated on world news.

And local news stations can be selected to watch (using "News on") if there is some big news story in some remote town. You can simply call up that local news station and follow the coverage. Or if you just like watching the local news from your hometown when the Steelers are in the playoffs, or whatever, it gives you that access.

And I no longer get a paper newspaper, but that Newspapers 4K channel gives you a hi res. photo of the front page of every main newspaper in the country. I like it. It's news, art, photos, and hometown flavor of many hometowns across the country.
If you move cities, you can get a little nostalgic glimpse of the places you have lived and how they are writing about the news of the day. You can hit "pause' to actually read the front pages including the small print.
Edit : as of Dec 2019, they no longer offer this Newspaper 4K channel for free. Subscription only.

If you are younger and hosting a party, there is the Chive channel that can be played with the sound turned off and there is endless amusing footage shown of funny animals, people falling off skateboards and diving boards, etc. Just trash entertainment, but something to help amuse people standing around with a drink.

It kind of grows on you, like a fungus.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:43 PM
CULT DEPROGRAMMER

Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,813 Posts

I think a better question for me would be:

What is the best LED TV in 42 to 55 inches that IS NOT A smart TV? Can I buy a "monitor"?

I spent 45 minutes trying to sort out an LG Smart TV for a freind of my Mom's that would not display HD Video, only sound. The TV had all kinds of widgets and "helpful" confusing pop up alerts. In the end, it was the cable box needed to be reset.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:06 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,362 Times in 720 Posts

Acer ET430K is one. 2x the price of my 43" TV, which was the reason I bought the TV instead and use it as my monitor.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 29,733 Times in 7,718 Posts

Little update. Loving the Roku. On the credit card, it is NOT required. I inputted a card when I first signed up, but I later went back and deleted it, so no worries about charges. Some of the pay channels are a little tricky or at least I didn't quite understand at first.. They say sign up for a free trial or just login using the Roku email address. Sounds simple enough. Well, if you use the Roku address you get hit with charges.

Anyway, it well worth the investment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 11:32 AM
Deplorable Freedom Zealot

Thanked 9,553 Times in 2,063 Posts

+1 on Roku

I got an Express model for free 3 weeks ago, and am impressed with all free channels.

We are trying to kick a $166/mth DirectTV bill to the curb.

Currently I am considering Youtube TV and Hulu w/live tv.

Many services offer free trials also.

Youtube TV supposedly has lower bandwidth requirements, has unlimited cloud based DVR, and streaming to 3 devices simultaneously.

Will probably get the Premier models since they have 4k readiness.

This link shows 32 free sites FWIW:

https://thefrisky.com/best-25-free-l...ing-tv-online/
The Following User Says Thank You to bonegunner For This Useful Post: