Survivalist Forum banner

Important preps leading up to November 2020?

47K views 260 replies 100 participants last post by  16isalittleman 
#1 ·
Brain storming session, what would you consider important preps between now and leading up to the November 2020 elections? For the sake of discussion, let's throw a resurgence of covid-19 into the mix.

I plan on hitting the public hunting lands this fall, maybe doing some camping / hunting trips. The camp sites are on the Angelina River near Jasper, Texas. Because of this I am adding some Mountain House freeze dried meals to my collection. Couple of days ago I went through my freeze dried pouches and could use some more breakfast.

Guns and Ammo? I currently have a Ruger P89 on layaway at a local gun store, and that is about it. I am fine with everything else. Ammo and firearms have already been cleared out from the stores, not a big concern though.

Maybe stockpile some 13-13-13 fertilizer while prices are low for next spring.

Fall garden will get planted in a couple of months. Probably going with:

Turnip / mustard Greens
Spinach
Rutabagas
Some winter squash, such as acorn squash

In a few weeks I may need to butcher some of the chickens added to the flock this year. If anything, maybe some canning jars for homemade chicken soup? The chickens were straight run so there are some roosters mixed in.

I honestly can not think think of anything I need to push to the front of the list. Maybe a few more canned goods, but nothing special.

See less See more
#117 ·
You can literally grow or raise every component need to ad to grains and other carbs like rice, in several small, almost hidden plots. If you store up carbs in large quantities but in multiple concealed locations, you will not starve to death in bad times. If you are eating regularly, your other challenges are not so daunting.

#122 ·
In terms of immediate need:

1.)Canning jars and Lids/Bands.
2.).223 Ammo.
3.).38 Sp. Ammo
4.).22-250 Ammo
5.)A little more meat for the freezer. Just to top it off. We have another 20 pounds of chicken to add and a few more sausages in the coming weeks.
6.)Another few cases of various canned veggies, spaghetti, canned meats, etc - it’s cheap and a few of the discount grocers around me have some really good deals right now. Also might pick up some more dried beans and lentils from Dollar Tree - It’s cheaper there than anywhere else for those I’ve found.
7.)More Hygeine products - mostly bar soap, body wash, hand soap, toothpaste, Items to hand wash clothes (Detergent, brush, buckets for water) again Dollar Tree is the best I’ve found for this.

#131 ·
I'm working on me. I decided in May I needed to lose 25 pounds and I've worked that so there are 5 pounds to go. That might need to be adjusted to 30-35 pounds lost.
And I've been expanding my book selection, going to thrift stores and friend of the library shelves for books n sale to find what I consider good finds. And looking to improve me nursing/medical library too.
And then all the other stuff people have mentioned here looks good. So more for, top off diesel fuel tank, and actually I think Ill truck in some good compost. I already take a steady stream of coffee grounds from a starbucks trash can that goes into compost or straight onto the ground. But I need more decent material for the garden. I get 4 and 5 gallon food grade buckets from the trash at the bakery but need more gamma lids. Always lots to consider. And I need to bottle a five gallon pail of honey too...

#133 ·
Have a 24.8 cu ft chest freezer on order. Ordered it in July. Should have it in Sept. Once I have it, then I can finish stocking up on the meats, as the new freezer will be for beef and pork, while the smaller freezer will be poultry and fish. That leave the upright freezer for the veggies and boxed items.

#136 ·
definitely easier the smaller your family is. for staples/grains, my rule of thumb is 1lb/person/day is half rations for adults (and children over 10) and almost full rations for children under 10, though with kids i'd want to supplement a bit so as to not stunt their growth. for adults this assumes you already are not a string-bean. once people reach a certain minimum weight they need to go up to full rations or they will starve to death. this matters if in your group you have a few skinny people and some heavier people, the heavier people will have fat to burn long after the skinny people are just skin and bones. a degree of fairness and safety have to be considered.

for a person with fat to burn, ~180lbs of grain = 6 months half rations. however you will also need salt, and anything you can supplement this with for vitamins (veggies, fruits) will be key, but failing that, some broad-spectrum multivitamins will probably get you through.

protein is the big problem. the RDA for protein is between 45-60 grams depending on body weight and if you're a man or woman. the minimum metabolic requirement is around 35 grams, and your body is going to try to get that every day, even if it has to consume your own body tissue to do it. when it no longer can do that, you start to die. everything that provides protein costs more. about 2 cups of pinto beans will get you 30 grams, and you will end up getting maybe 5-10 grams from your white rice daily. 10 tablespoons of peanut butter gets you 35 grams (standard 1lb package contains only around 30 tblspoons!). 3/4 of a standard can of tuna will get you your 35 grams. this is one of the reasons i tend to go a little overboard on things like canned meats, canned chilis w/beans, etc. with enough protein and vitamins, you can let your body burn all your spare fat and survive. if you run completely out of protein, you can die with fat still on your body.

6 months for family of 4 (let's say 2 adults, 2 children under 10), with some wiggle room (overestimate about 10% for spoilage, loss, or giveaways)

800lb of staples such as rice, oats, whole corn, etc
600lb of beans
150 cans of meat, chili, etc.
20lbs of peanut butter
150 cans of variety of mixed vegetables
4lbs of salt

I think would reliably get you through 6 months, without much rationing, if you had nothing else. the staples would get you about 1000-1100 calories per day, plus your protein source which would add somewhere between 200-500 more calories per day, leaving you to burn about 1/8lb of body fat unless you are highly active. that's about 60 buckets between rice and beans. Though depending on your pantry size and shelf space, you should be able to store several months, perhaps as much as 6 months, simply by buying normal groceries. In my case, the need for buckets is even short-term if I'm storing in the basement. Rodents.

Anyway, hope this was useful

#137 ·
Now that all our preps are complete I am looking at splurging a little and buying myself a luxury watch. The Piaget Polo S has been something I have been looking at for awhile or if I want something decadent perhaps a Glashütte Original Panomatic Reserve. I guess if I wanted to be sensible I would go with an Omega AquaTerra.

What would you guys do? Budget is around 10-12k

#143 ·
I find there are always extra things you could have. An Extra Timing belt/water pump, CB radios in all vehicles, front grill in case people throw themselves in front of your car for fun, fruit trees planted in a food forest, extra horse/chicken manure, a good sustainable garden that's not advertised, condoms, toilet paper, paper towels, medicine, etc.

Mine was laundry detergent and paper plates, also go the septic dredged, teeth cleaned a couple months back, new tires, etc. While the roof falls I am trying to think long term what will keep me from having to get out if SHTF.

Just some ideas. For me fixing up a 77 15ft boston whaler is on the list so I can gig flounder easier "with a boat launch 1 mile away" Boats here are in massively high demand, I am going to spend 1500 with a complete remodel and picked up a 40 yamaha last week :). We have neighbors and friends with all kind of boats so nobody here will starve as we have tons of hardhead cats, seagulls, and hunting land.

Side note The Ghetto seems to be everywhere now in the entire south...

#144 ·
Yup, exactly.

If someone wants something, for whatever reason, they should buy it if within budget.

However to justify buying such because they’re “prepared” already?

Well that simply seems they may likely be doing themselves a disservice. Not being them, can’t speak as towards their being prepared. Or not.

However being prepared is far far more than just “buying things”!

#156 ·
Yep, when Trump loses it's going to be horrible, all those decrepit Baby Boomers trying to riot like they did back in the 60's but being too morbidly obese to run, too weak to break windows with their canes, having to stop and take hits off oxygen... All the Evangelical Christians praying in the streets for succor and being run over by racists in their cars thinking they're peaceful protestors... All the primitive tribalists having temper tantrums and pounding their heels and elbows on the ground because their guy lost...

Fortunately President Jorgensen will soon set everything aright. :thumb:

#147 ·
Freezers are hard to find. We were lucky, I guess, as we had one delivered last week. We thought it was a 21 cubic foot but they delivered a 15 cubic foot and said that was all that was available. OK. It is going to be used only for meat; 1/2 a beef is coming the last of August.
The delivery guys said their store had sold 92 freezers during the month of July. You just have to be there soon after the factory delivery is made to the store.

#149 ·
I have been working on my raised beds and will add a number of fruit and nut trees this fall. The only other items I really want are more ammo, and a good start on a cache of silver.

Hyperinflation is coming. Trump may have thwarted the latest big money handout, but the ship sailed a few decades ago. Best to prepare for a currency collapse now rather than later.

#150 ·
I just do not know guys, the situation seems to be deteriorating by the week. COVID-19 seems to be on the decline, let's keep our hopes up, but we still have the elections and China to deal with.

If Biden becomes president China will continue to dominate the world markets.

One of my biggest fears right now is democrats controlling both houses of congress and the presidency. Over the decades I have seen a lot of hype. Going back to the 1980s and fear mongering in various magazines about gun control. There were articles in American Survival Guide in the 1990s talking about how Clinton was going to push through various gun control measures, which came true, but the assault rifle ban also expired.

I am concerned about the big picture of democrat gun control policies driving gun companies out of business, thus weakening national defense.

#174 ·
I think there is more chance of a Democrat secession/civil war than a Biden victory. Currently, that's what my short-term worst case scenario is. I think we should expect to see temporary grid disruptions, supply network disruptions worse than covid, a serious broad-spectrum stock market drop, and the run on guns and ammo to not stop until it's over. Personally, I'll be selling out and drawing all my "play money" in the stock market some time in September, and doubling down on my preps like it's covid all over again, until at least mid February of next year. If the coast is clear by then, I think we're past the worst danger.

Reactions: Texas Fire
#153 ·
All American canner 930. They’re sold out and back ordered. It’s supposed to ship in November. They’re now back ordered until December. They won’t charge my cc until it ships. I bought it directly from All American which was substantially less expensive than amazon or eBay. http://www.allamericancanner.com/

I think we’re going to see Supply shortages so I’m trying to get this type of thing.

Still buying LTS food. Also a little bit of precious metals.

#161 ·
I am trying to wrap my head around a $12K watch.

My husband wanted to buy me a luxury item last Valentine's day. My cat got sick, stone in his urethra, very painful. I got him unblocked and treated that cost us $600. And I thought that was indulgent. I told my husband forget the luxury item you paid for Biscuit. :thumb:

I have more supplies than I did a year ago, and far more than I did 20 years ago.

#164 ·
I am in some bad neighborhoods and would worry about theft. I only wear a titanium ($20) wedding ring for that reason. No one wants what I have and that's how I like it. :thumb:

But your money have fun. :)

Reactions: IceFire
#173 ·
+1 on the Dawn dish detergent. Best bang for the buck, ever. We started buying it/using it in our pop up and travel trailer because it kept our big blue portable tank and then our gray holding tank grease free and clean. Super important for keeping tank sensors clean. Eventually I learned to put a few gallons of water, some water softener and a couple of drops of Dawn down the trailer potty before we traveled. The suds would confuse the sensor for the first day or so in camp but I knew the tank was almost empty, so no issue. The surfactants in the water softener and the Dawn and the agitation from going down the road kept the tank walls and sensor spotless. Ditto grey tank, although that got flushed through regularly in camp with Dawn soapy water anyway. That experience totally sold me on Dawn. Also, Dawn is the best laundry stain remover ever.

#186 ·
Number one prep i'm working on is getting in top physical shape. My joints can't take the abuse they used to in the weight room but it feels good to throw iron around again. The chinese flu bull**** really underscored the importance of fitness to me and my family. Immunity improves dramatically as does mental outlook which are key in very high stress situations that we are likely to face.

#198 ·
^^^^ This is just the bestest idea!!!! I really need to do this too. Thank you for the reminder. :):cool:

Strata, “It's called a BOL for a reason you dolt.”

OMGawd, :rofl::rofl::rofl: I have not heard that word, “dolt”, in so long it had actually left my vocabulary. That made me laugh so hard!! “Dolt”, will never leave my vocabulary again. :thumb:

#192 ·
I'm watching on line sales. Just picked up 5 boxes of lead free projectiles from shooters pro shop. Dr appt on Wednesday so will stop at Sportsman's warehouse and look at their powder supply, pistol powder like unique or AA #5. A stop at Costco for the usual monthly supplies and maybe some extra sugar for canning, Beans,yeast and Crown Royal. Winco for jar lids and maybe an extra dozen jars. And most important it is my wife's wedding anniversary so will go out for lunch. I'm preparing for the fall election and turmoil a little at a time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.