Survivalist Forum banner

Important preps leading up to November 2020?

47K views 260 replies 100 participants last post by  16isalittleman 
#1 ·
Brain storming session, what would you consider important preps between now and leading up to the November 2020 elections? For the sake of discussion, let's throw a resurgence of covid-19 into the mix.

I plan on hitting the public hunting lands this fall, maybe doing some camping / hunting trips. The camp sites are on the Angelina River near Jasper, Texas. Because of this I am adding some Mountain House freeze dried meals to my collection. Couple of days ago I went through my freeze dried pouches and could use some more breakfast.

Guns and Ammo? I currently have a Ruger P89 on layaway at a local gun store, and that is about it. I am fine with everything else. Ammo and firearms have already been cleared out from the stores, not a big concern though.

Maybe stockpile some 13-13-13 fertilizer while prices are low for next spring.

Fall garden will get planted in a couple of months. Probably going with:

Turnip / mustard Greens
Spinach
Rutabagas
Some winter squash, such as acorn squash

In a few weeks I may need to butcher some of the chickens added to the flock this year. If anything, maybe some canning jars for homemade chicken soup? The chickens were straight run so there are some roosters mixed in.

I honestly can not think think of anything I need to push to the front of the list. Maybe a few more canned goods, but nothing special.

See less See more
#59 ·
If you have time to craft a storage solution I watched a very interesting video about cold storage where the racks came up when it was opened

it is very similar to this.. if you have the right convetion you can keep all the cold air low

On this same vein you could burry an old second hand freezer or fridge and use it as a stationry root cellar.

If you add refridgeration you can get a full cooled / option. freezer units on second hand reefer vans pop up from time to time. For a couple thousand you could probably burry the reefer unit underground and itd probably perform well. Some are even gas powered in the trucks or diesel powered. Availability varies by locality.

#60 ·
i would say that if you're the kind of guy who has a lot of guns in the safe and walks them out into your yard for target practice but not much else, you are going to want to make sure you've got holsters, slings, and some kind of battle-belt/chest rig figured out. when this thing kicks off, gonna be hard to come by for a while

#65 ·
I was speaking to a friend after Church yesterday who said that he already proposed to his wife that they should consider selling their Canadian property and move back to Europe, as he could run his business from anywhere. She's been hesitant on account of still being two years away from retirement, but this goes to show how serious people are taking the current situation.

My friend was considering this on account of the looming unrest in the US and already having a place to live in one of the Visegrad countries.

Looking at the same option will definitely be one part of my overall preps as well, though I am most likely to remain here for the foreseeable future.

#81 ·
I have zero sympathy for those preppers staying in inner city north or Socal. If you can sell your house for 400-500k then why not? There is zero argument to that. I mean 400k will buy you 40 acres and a nice homestead in rural florida not far from the beach... or a decent house and 5-10 acres. To yall Canadians minus Ontario, why not stay? Yall are already used to the cold and can buy good bug out places in the woods for reasonable $ "getting there is another story". You'd have to be crazy to go to Europe right now. Western EU is far Left, Southern is being invaded from Africa/Middle Eastern Men "sure that'll turn out great in 20 years", and the East Abuts Russia and all the problems of Africa and the middle east. I mean maybe Ireland...

#82 ·
I don't think anybody on here should be showing their gardening yields, preps, etc. Microgreens are really good, especially on sandwiches and while you could subsist on them for a while what if a batch goes bad etc. Why not get 500#'s of beans instead at 80cents a pound and put into food saver bags with 02 absorbers and put in food safe buckets. I have beans and rice, and can fish for protein and have chickens. Thanks for the heads up on barb wire, went and got barbed wire a while back and T posts just in case it gets really bad, I don't think you'll be able to find it at the stores and its really easy to come by now.
Planning on adding two front gates on ghost controls switches for added security. I think security is my #1 thing going forward. Hell even before this mess with BLM you knew it was going to happen when everybody came out and was restless from sitting in their crammed 2br apartment. Expect a mass exodus from the cities. I am already seeing NY tags I have never seen before "can only say I hope we get the good ones" :/

#83 ·
To yall Canadians, I couldn't live in Canada. If your there why not buy some cheap bug out property in the middle of nowhere. Canada has enough of it and yall are already used to the cold. Anybody would have to be certified nuts to consider moving to Europe. The west has gone far left, the south is plauged with a mostly male immigrant crisis from Africa and the middle east, and Eastern Europe is close to Russia and has always had skirmishes of some form or another. The only places even remotely safe in Europe now I can think of are northern Norway, Ireland, and hmmm maybe northern Scotland. Basically anywhere freezing your balls off and if your already Canadian why move?

#90 ·
The Cajun has access to rice as Louisiana produces a ton, if your in a city getting said rice will be 100x as hard to aquire. That happened in the depression. While I don't think Corona is going to be a 5% mortality rate and I think it'll be around a 1% when its all said and done its still another flu we didn't have. I also agree with the shutdown, at the time we didn't know if the mortality rate would be 5% why not err on caution. The WHO should have banned international flights out of China in JAN and we should have done the same. I think Trump letting the States decide what to do and the wall he is actually building will end up being some of the cornerstones of his presidency 'if its not rewritten'.

#91 · (Edited)
I’m buying MORE food, dog food, critter food. Stacking it as deeply as possible. Last month I bought a 3,000 gallon water tank and filled it up. I’m thinking about getting another one. Being here in California I’ve already had some SHTF dry runs.

I took some money out on my house because I’m looking for a BOL. I’m praying a lot because there’s so many variables it’s hard to know which way to jump.... or, to not jump at all. Every choice has significant pros and cons. So I’m not doing anything but looking, paying attention, and seeking higher wisdom.

For the first time I am seriously concerned about a banking and societal collapse. While I always knew these were possible it was always ‘sometime in the future ‘. Not in a few months.

I am positioned very well to handle almost any SHTF scenario. But I’m not at all ready for TEOTWAWKI.

Canning jars- The last lock down I stacked them very deep. They were hard to get and both EBay and Amazon were really price gouging. Like $35 per case and up.

Seeds- Also very low supplies. I’m stocking up and making sure they’re properly stored.

Butcher knives / Leatherman - I already have these but recognize how absolutely crucial good knives are. I want back up.

More stuff like that.

Right now Walmart has Auguson Farms 2 week, 1 person kits. I bought 4. One for each person in my home and bought 4 for my son and his family. This is a good price. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Augason-Farms-2-Week-1-Person-Emergency-Food-Supply-Kit-14-lbs/55702758

DON’T WAIT! I bought #10 Tomato Powder last week for 1/2 off and it’s gone now. Auguson Farms is ‘out of stock’ on most things and prices are going up substantially.

Also bought 8 of these 72 hour emergency kits. 4 for my home and 4 for my sons. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Augason-...2c78&athancid=CarouselEasyReorder&athena=true

There are some deals still out there but you have to watch it.

My Patriot Supply has Deal of the Day with some great deals. https://mypatriotsupply.com/apps/todays-deals

I’m also going to hit the dollar stores and fill up some 5 gallon containers with whatever I manage to scrounge. I regularly check our local supermarket discount baskets. I was able to fill up 2 4 gallon buckets with a large variety of cream of wheat and oatmeal, much of which is Steele cut. They were the more expensive brands that people often pass up. Also got a bunch of Starbucks coffee out of those baskets too. I’m not worried about expiration dates. I have dogs, chickens, rabbits, pigeons, cats, and compost. Nothing is wasted.

It’s past time for a thorough chicken and rabbit culling. I plan to can this meat since power outages are now ‘a thing’ here in KalifornIA and I expect them to get worse. My list of things ‘to do’ is Humungous. I’m sure most of you can relate .

#101 ·
Mostly been buying bullets, powder and primers lately since ammo prices and availability are crap lately.

Aside from that I'm learning about pole barn construction as I'm getting very close to purchasing land. I foresee construction equipment and supplies will be the next big money sink.

Lastly bought a camera drone which I've been using to survey land I'm interested in, but will also be a good for general surveillance and recon.

Might get a new steel bumper with a high bar for the truck given the new fad of stupid humans hanging out on roads and freeways.

#103 ·
Mogli, Just soak the old beans overnight, they are pretty easy to cook. Might want to add in some Tabasco sauce "add to every 5 gallon bucket" or get some herbs like bayleaf, walking onion, oregano, tyme, mint, and rosemary for the yard. I will be able to make cilantro and rice bean burritos with fresh lime in SHTF. Or use the Oregano and tyme for a light tomato based spaghetti. I have zero plans to store meat and plan on doing vegan and substituting with fishing and hunting "especially with meat prices and we already fish and hunt".

I picked up some RADA knives years ago and mom has some that are 30+, they are inexpensive and SS. For 50$ you can get an entire set and be sure to get a small sharpener.

This whole thing has got me thinking of security more than anything. I still need a gate, but picked up enogh T posts and double twist 4 prong closer set galv barb wire with a little bit of quality if I need to put it out "already have fence but I'd go around top".

Found I was short on detergents like Laundry and Dish as well as paper plates and towels. Planning on doing a massive 400 sams run this week for the things that make life easier.

The Mark IV I wanted was out months ago to pair with my SS 10/22 takedown "great here for small game". Don't know when they'll have them back at a reasonable price. Was 450 then went to 650 now gone.

#104 ·
I’m just going to continue to do what I’ve been doing! Everybody is in crisis mode. I was too for a few months, now it’s like I’ll stock up on a few things for the freezer, that’s about it. Life is continuing although there’s a lot of interference out there, not affecting me personally, but interesting to observe. Only real difference from last year is I have to wear a mask when I go out, wash my hands more, and buy certain items before shortages occur, if they do actually occur.

The vast majority of people don’t give a crap about anything but themselves. The political and social change climate is sickening and only going to get worse. I’m not voting for either party this time around, not worth it as if this is the best America has to offer then we deserve what we get.

#105 ·
My original plans were to finally get tied to the grid at my rusticy cabin before the election. But with what has been going on everywhere, I decided to hold off.

Instead I am buying popcorn, Mountain Dew, and making sure the solar battery bank is fully charged. Then sit back and watch the election results.

In case of excessive voting fraud, in key swing state counties, I am going to be avoiding any unnecessary expenses for a while. Just in case right becomes wrong and left is right, I want to be far off the radar as possible until things mellow over.

In case the right thing actually happens on election night, I want to be far away from heavier populated areas. Just in case some people that are slightly upset plan to take their pain out on everyone else.

#106 ·
Was just reading laundry detergent and dish soap have a limited shelf life, 6-18 months. Not sure how accurate that is but i have been using a cheap hand dishwashing liquid from a restaurant supply. To wash equivalent to dawn which is a very good brand it was taking twice as much. Now I'm using like 4x as much from the same gallon bottle. So there may be something to this.

#115 ·
Dawn doesn’t go bad, in our personal experience. May need a mix, or not, honestly don’t recall as it’s been a long while since we had “an old one” in use. Don’t remember having any issues tho.

Likely similar with liquid laundry detergent. Perhaps even less likely to “go bad” as most liquid laundry detergent bottles are opaque. Old one? Just give a nice mix, I’d recon.

Whereas dawn bottles are clear/translucent.

Reactions: Mogli
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.