Survivalist Forum banner
6K views 40 replies 21 participants last post by  IamZeke 
#1 ·
I couldn't believe it. My favorite was the 25 pounds, assorted types including rice for $150.

I have just taken it for granted because my Walmart has been OK but WTF?

#19 ·
So right.

Purple Kitty, you live in Houston where we have big Latino markets, Asian markets, and the Middle East shopping area around Hillcroft and SW Freeway.

I realize online shopping is convenient but our city has all the brick and mortar places for food cheap, not to mention Grocers Supply.

I know you don't drive but you need to mooch a driver for a day. Call around town and plan it out.

You live in one of the best places to buy food anywhere in the world. Find a way to utilize it.

If Jojo can find all these resources in her smaller Oklahoma region then just think what a huge and extremely diversified Gulf Coast port can offer.

#7 ·
We paid I think $19.98 for 25 pounds of pintos a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was a bit high but I was sure it wasn't going to get any cheaper. Now white beans, I just can't find (dried). Navy, white northern anything at any price locally. I haven't tried the restaurant supply yet, so we might go there next time we are down the hill.

#13 ·
Well, I guess that is the rest of the story

Last Fall I read on-line that the bean harvest on the North American continent had been unusually poor, and so I bought some black beans for my preps. They were talking about a harvest that was around one-half of what it usually was.

I suspect that the stores like Wall-Mart that cater to blue-collar or middle class people have decided to not mark up their beans very much in order to keep the customers who would also buy beef and produce and such

At any rate, last Fall I bought 2 cases of black beans and added them to our preps, because at 50 cents a can they were a very good hedge against any price increases.

I HAD posted about the poor harvest here, but it is a very active site and it is a coin toss as to what any person will see and what will not be seen

#14 ·
I had a lot going on last year. :rofl: My house was destroyed, all my preps went to storage... only half made it back :mad: including 90% of my canned goods. I guess it is a good thing they saw my self-packed mylar as "gross and unsanitary".

But I lost a lot of canned food. I believe it made it into storage but the virus had just hit when I asked for it all back and I believe the movers stole it.

Short version: if I had bought a lot of preps last year I likely would have lost them, too. I did manage to restock the last couple months.

#16 ·
Oh, I have a lot of lentils and some split peas for my husband (he loves the peas, I don't). I was just looking...:eek:

#23 ·
There is a Grocer's Supply not far. Do you think they could do a big whack of lentils? That, I can use. Rice I am set for medium term but could use more lentils.

Reactions: MikeK
#24 ·
#26 ·
I have a Joe V's (HEB spinoff), Kroger, FoodTown, La Mihocana, Walmart, Aldi, etc. in easy reach.

There is a new Grocer's Supply, a very big one, on Richey off 45 north.

The insane thing about my life it is probably cheaper to pay Rainy Day foods for shipping than to try to get a driver.

And I always pick up 3-4 pounds every time I got to Walmart just to keep it low key.

Reactions: MikeK
#28 ·
The insane thing about my life it is probably cheaper to pay Rainy Day foods for shipping than to try to get a driver.
I know it is a permanent struggle for you, but Houston is built around the vehicle owner.

So you have to keep after it, always looking for driver candidates.

There's little point to putting up with big city hassles if you don't get the benefits.

There are always a lot of guys that roam town in their pickups for yard salvage.

Craigslist and FB trading sites are where you find them. They always have dead days because heavy trash pickup moves around town.

#32 ·
There are other sources in Billings, but, it is still an all day or overnight affair.
4 hour drive one way. So, I guess I could do quarterly trips but, I like the biannual. Winter is great for adding Christmas shopping and Spring for restock. :thumb:

I don't mind. I chose this life. I am still jealous of those with easy and cheap access to ethnic ingredients though. For that, we don't feel the same market forces in regards to supply, the way Urban areas do. Fair trade off. IMO

Sorry for going off topic a little. I can still get beans and at a fair price. Regardless, I have plenty stored and can withstand market forces.

#34 ·
I used to live on the West side, on the East Shore of Flathead lake. And you are correct in your assumption. I followed the money and live on the edge of the Bakken Oil Play. I no longer work oil but, have a great job and live among some great people. I would hope to get back to the mountains, water and trees but, alas...
I discussed much of it here

The rest i leave for another day. We can't have an Admin derailing threads.
Sorry PurpleKitty. I hope you follow some of the advise and get your needs met in an affordable manner. The internet is full of people taking advantage of the markets and fear right now.

#38 ·
#39 ·
Lentils came today, they had been projected to come next Thursday so very happy to see them.

Reactions: Aceoky and MikeK
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.