Survivalist Forum banner
3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Illini Warrior 
#1 ·
Hi all,
Just a quick question. Most of my preps are stored in my basement. I was thinking about running a dehumidifier on a regular basis down there to reduce moisture. Does anyone else do this to help with food storage?

Thanks!

#8 ·
It depends on your basement. Do you NEED a dehumidifier? Do you have moisture issues? Moisture is the bane of a good working indoor atmosphere.

Easy test. Fill a glass with ice water, a clear drinking glass and take it downstairs on a normal day outside (low humidity outside). Set it down and walk away. Come back 20 minutes later and look at the outside of your glass.

Is the glass relatively dry on the outside, with just a little condensate? Or is the glass so wet on the outside that it is sitting in a pool of water?

If it is mostly dry with just some moisture clinging then you have a good humidity level downstairs, if it is sitting in a pool of water then you have high humidity and maybe should run a dehumidifier off and on or all the time in your basement.

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.