Survivalist Forum banner
29K views 167 replies 83 participants last post by  Jackrorabbit 
#1 ·
As I am sitting here watching the news, there is little voice in the back of my head telling me the US is going to hit rock bottom. Unless Ron Paul gets elected, things are just going to continue to get worse. GOD help us if someone like mit or rick perry gets elected, because they are not going to help anyone besides the bankers.

What I see happening is tensions between the US and china and tensions between the US and iran to continue to rise. Compounded with that, congress is talking about cutting the defense budget.

Let me see if I get this right, iran is continuing to enrich uranium, and the US congress wants to cut money from the defense? When your enemies are building nuclear weapons, shouldn’t we at the very least maintain our current rate of military spending?

There are several directions I see the US going during 2012:

1. iran builds a nuclear bomb, gives the bomb to a small group of terrorist who sneak it a cross the US-mexico border. From there its just a matter of time before a major US city has a nuclear weapon detonated in it.\

Its not like a group of terrorist would even have to sneak a nuclear bomb across the border. Why not hire a truck and drive the bomb across? If 10 – 20 million illegal immigrants can find their way into the US, surely its not “that” difficult to get weapons across.

2. israel strikes iran, which threatens the supply of crude oil to russia and china. russia and china see the strike as a threat to their national security. In return, china and/or russia strike israel and the US.

3. The US goes broke, or continues to print money out of thin air. Either way its a lose-lose situation. Over the past few decades has spent more money then we can ever hope to repay. Its just a matter of time before the house of cards comes tumbling down

4. The drought that wiped out billions of dollars in crops comes back in 2012, which drives up prices. The US government will increase subsidies to farmers, which will continue to drive up the national debt. I have no issues with helping the farmers out, but instead of giving billions to foreign nations, why not keep that money here? Instead of giving the banks millions of dollars to bail them out from bad investments, lets give that money to the people. Or better yet, let the banks go belly up.

5. The absolute worst thing that can happen is for obama to get relected. obama signed the National Defense Authorization Act into law, which allows the government to detain US citizens without a trial.

What can you really say about a congress and president that wants to declare the US a battleground? From that declaration the government can detain citizens without a trial.

You might be saying “the government can not detain you without charging you with a crime”. Well, what happened with the Japanese-Americans during World War II? If it happened once, it can happen again.

Buy your food while its still cheap.

Vote third party, why are the democrats even on the ballot?

Buy your guns and ammunition while you can.

As 2012 progresses, I look for people to become worried. Worried people go into panic buying mode. As people start stockpiling food, guns and ammunition, I look for prices to go up.

One thing that has me worried, is the overall cost of living. If prices go up too much, or if we start having food shortages, I look for civil unrest to kick in.

The US has not had to face food shortages in decades, maybe since World War II? How will people react when they are faced with a situation they have never seen before? Will they stick their head in the sand and ignore the problem, will more people turn to social assistance programs, or will people start protesting like what is happening in other parts of the world.

The absolute worst thing that can happen, is for the middle and lower class get pushed to the point where they have nothing to lose. When people have nothing to lose, they will go to drastic measures to get what they want.

See less See more
#3 ·
There is also this 2012 thing that is being hyped by everyone that wants to make a buck.

By the middle of the year I look for people in general to go into a subtle panic buying mode. As more food is being bought, this might cause shortages, which in turn will drive prices up.

#12 ·
i buy these bumble bee on the go tuna and crackers from dollar general once and awhile.

a couple years ago they were two for a dollar.then they went up to 1 dollar each.
the other day i went up there and there 1.25 each now.

i was ****ed.i didnt even buy any.all i could think was im getting ripped off by my government because they wont quit giving food stamps to everyone and there brother.

devaluing the dollar.

#15 ·
I think it would be a good deterrent for Iran to have a nuke.

Where do you draw the line between the US protecting itself, and the rights of other nations? We invaded iraq, overthrew the government, then hung the ex-president.

Do you think george bush jr. would have been so quick to go to war if iraq had nuclear weapons?

#17 ·
What Ron Paul, also, said was that many countrys around the world have nuclear bombs. They are not setting them off. They know what would happen if they did. ANIALATION!!!

What right does America have to take over other countrys and tell them what to do, when to do it and if they don't, they will be punished?

Look at the new movie "Red Dawn" that is coming out. We are all excited bout that one. We can hardly wait to kick some Red A$$ and feel good about doing it.

How do you think Iran feels about the US/Isreal plotting to bomb their country and denying them the right to have nuclear capabilities?

If Pakastan can have nuclear capabilities with the way their country is run who are we to deny any country to rule their own ---- their way.

We grip about the government telling US citizens what to eat, where to live, what to wear, how to be schooled and then describs American citizens as possible terrorist threats. We do not like what our government is doing to us and our country, but we are all for our government doing more in other countrys.

FREEDOM is FREEDOM on any realestate around the world.

God bless and keep on prepping.

#31 ·
What Ron Paul, also, said was that many countrys around the world have nuclear bombs. They are not setting them off. They know what would happen if they did. ANIALATION!!!
I don't think Iran cares about annihilation if they can destroy Israel.

Them using a nuclear weapon is for a reason that no other country that has nuclear weapons would consider - religion.

#21 ·
I'm just going to keep on prepping, getting my solar together, practice the the skills I enjoy and most of all just living!
That is the important part, is not to let your life get consumed by something.

If prepping gets in the way of living your life, then something is wrong.

Back in the 1990s I had to step back a few times, look at the direction my life was going, and make a few changes. At several points I felt that conspiracy theories were consuming my life. Instead of living, I was watching the Ports of Beaumont and Port Arthur of UN troops. My buddies and I were caching weapons underground,,, and stockpiling thousands of rounds of ammo.

It some point I realized that my life was no longer mine; I was being controlled by people who were spewing out garbage.

I try to live a regular life, but incorporate survivalism into my life when and where I can.

Its like stockpiling fishing supplies. This summer I plan on doing a lot of fishing. If there is some kind of food shortage, maybe I can catch enough fish for my family to eat. My wife and I plan on planting a small garden behind our house this spring. We might even buy a pressure cooker and put up our own food.

But I see no reason to obsess over prepping or stockpiling survival gear.

Back in 2008 I posted a thread about radical survivalist, there is a link for you that are interested.

I have met people I would consider to have a radical mindset, these are the people that seem to be obsessed with being prepped, and paranoid that the government is always out to get them. There is no reason to live like that.

#124 ·
I agree. Crisis or no crisis I expect a media driven frenzy simply because of the 2012 mess and because of the current state of the union. The survival stores will likely be overwhelmed and sell all kinds of bad packages where simple groceries would suffice.

It's a great time to take inventory and fix any shortages now.

Fishing gear is my next hurdle.

Well, let's all hope for an uneventful new year while preparing for the opposite.

#20 ·
I understand your concerns Kev. We live in turbulent times. Humans have made it through much worse, but I wouldn't want to see a repeat. It's a bad year for drought when food prices are already climbing. We're coming off a long line of bad politicians with limited hope on the horizon. China or Russia have nothing to gain and everything to lose by striking the US, but never say never.

For me the answer is to have my ducks in a row and keep living because I can't control the future. If I've done what I can do then there's no point in worrying.

#22 ·
Its like America has amnesia every 4 years and gets excited when a new presidential canidate aligns with thier views . All presidents have an agenda when they run for prsident. And none of them can fufill their promises. I'll put my money that Ron Paul will have his agenda shattered too. No president makes the decisions. It's all people we've voted into congress that are making decisions. Ron Paul will be a puppet too.

So I find it funny that people blame presidents(Obama in this case) for laws and bills that are passed. Reality check more republicans voted for NDAA than democrats, they are all crooked. So here we go again. Amercans are looking at Ron Paul as their savior, as they did with Obama in 2008.

#23 ·
1. iran builds a nuclear bomb, gives the bomb to a small group of terrorist who sneak it a cross the US-mexico border. From there its just a matter of time before a major US city has a nuclear weapon detonated in it.
Its not like a group of terrorist would even have to sneak a nuclear bomb across the border. Why not hire a truck and drive the bomb across? If 10 – 20 million illegal immigrants can find their way into the US, surely its not “that” difficult to get weapons across.

It would be far easier and more effective for them to hit Israel. But while Iran constantly waxes poetic about the destruction of its enemies, its bark is worse than its bite. They support Hezbollah, but they don't give them SAMs to repel the Israeli Air Force, for example. Keeping a low-intensity conflict going is far more beneficial for them than something so dramatic as actually destroying Israel.

2. israel strikes iran, which threatens the supply of crude oil to russia and china. russia and china see the strike as a threat to their national security. In return, china and/or russia strike israel and the US.

Again, I don't think that is likely. The US, China, and Russia are all pretty happy with the status quo and I don't see any of the three going to a nuclear escalation over Israel attacking Iran. It didn't happen after Desert One, it didn't happen after Iran Air 655, it didn't happen after Operation Opera, and I don't think it will happen now.

3. The US goes broke, or continues to print money out of thin air. Either way its a lose-lose situation. Over the past few decades has spent more money then we can ever hope to repay. Its just a matter of time before the house of cards comes tumbling down

This seems like a very legitimate worry.

4. The drought that wiped out billions of dollars in crops comes back in 2012, which drives up prices. The US government will increase subsidies to farmers, which will continue to drive up the national debt. I have no issues with helping the farmers out, but instead of giving billions to foreign nations, why not keep that money here? Instead of giving the banks millions of dollars to bail them out from bad investments, lets give that money to the people. Or better yet, let the banks go belly up.

5. The absolute worst thing that can happen is for obama to get relected. obama signed the National Defense Authorization Act into law, which allows the government to detain US citizens without a trial.

I don't think that the US military would play along with that game. Our military is loyal to the Constitution, not whomever is in charge.

#29 ·
1. iran builds a nuclear bomb, gives the bomb to a small group of terrorist who sneak it a cross the US-mexico border. From there its just a matter of time before a major US city has a nuclear weapon detonated in it.

It would be far easier and more effective for them to hit Israel. But while Iran constantly waxes poetic about the destruction of its enemies, its bark is worse than its bite. They support Hezbollah, but they don't give them SAMs to repel the Israeli Air Force, for example. Keeping a low-intensity conflict going is far more beneficial for them than something so dramatic as actually destroying Israel.

Again, I don't think that is likely. The US, China, and Russia are all pretty happy with the status quo and I don't see any of the three going to a nuclear escalation over Israel attacking Iran. It didn't happen after Desert One, it didn't happen after Iran Air 655, it didn't happen after Operation Opera, and I don't think it will happen now.

Ah, but consider this. China gets its oil from Iran over land, and Russia controls the gas into Europe, thus making them useless. If Iran pushes toward the nuke point, Israel will strike. They did it to Syria, to Iraq, and they will do it to Iran. What happens after is anyone's guess. I would bet on the Hormuz blockade, which forces the US to act. I agree that the major players will likely not go nuclear, but Iran is a rogue state with fools that love death. I think if they could hit Israel or the US with a "suitcase" nuke, they would.

This seems like a very legitimate worry.

The Euro is the bigger problem followed by the Yuan, which will be the undoing of the dollar, since it is in such a heavy debt load now.

I don't think that the US military would play along with that game. Our military is loyal to the Constitution, not whomever is in charge.
This is why his admin is cutting the military to the bone as fast as he can. Bringing back brigades and ending the wars overseas and putting them into the "unemployment" line. While saying "It is a travesty to have our military people in such a shape", yet sending them off the pay line at the same time.

The TSA is gaining power so fast it isn't funny. I fear these are the new "brown shirts".

#24 ·
I think the chances of a nuclear weapon being set off in the US are pretty slim. Not impossible, but slim. It'll be just too big to get it over here and too hard. It would be easier for them to just missile or drop it over on Israel. The closest they might get to the US is if they put it on a ship and went to New York.

I do see panic with the general public over 2012. I'm pretty sure the media is going to do more and more coverage of it, exciting more and more of the public. This will drive up prices. It'll be 1999 all over again. Also, we'll see more protesting this summer and rioting (especially around election time). Both of these will drive up prices of normal goods and survival goods. Also, the stock market usually takes a nose dive a couple of months be election time.

#25 ·
These things will happen even if RP gets elected.

He cannot fix the major issue, the Euro implosion and the Chinese Yuan cheating. He also cannot fix the food growing issue, nor can he fix the entitlement problem in the US.

He is but one man in a top position, but he is not a dictator. Any reforms to the entitlement programs will have to go through Congress and they will most likely get blocked.

Right now we are spending more on Medicare, Medicaid, SSDI, and interest on the debt than the US takes in from all forms of taxation. So even with his radical expense cutting we will still be running negative, until we get the economy growing.

So, prep, prep, prep, because we are in a deep hole, and there isn't any way out, except for a reset of the system, or possibly radical changes to the entitlement and tax structure.

#27 ·
Why should we decide if Iran has a nuke? We have loads of them and so do a lot of other countries. Yeah maybe Iran has a dictater but so do we if you think about it. Obama is overriding congress and his hand must be hurting by now signing all these new bills and appointing his buddies to rule the rest of us peons.
I was watching the news today and they said we rescued more Iranian fishermen from pirates for the second time. Also with touchy feely pictures of US sailors offering food to some guy in a bed with a blanket covering his whole body, even his head. WE don't really know what's going on over there. All we see is what the lying media tells us. So pretty soon they will say "See? We tried to help them and we were humantarians but THEY attacked us first".

s

Iran is a very small country but they are in a strategic position. It's all about the oil and power and control. Why do we have warships over there in the first place? They havn't threatened anyone until we went over there and started messing with them. Ron Paul is right. Stay out of it. Let that part of the world work things out for themselves and take care of our own because we are BROKE! Why are we in all these so called wars in the first place? Answer me that. I thought per the constitution that only congress can declare war and only if we are attacked first. And I won't even get into 9/11.
Evil corporations own the media and the govt. They are bought and paid for to do what they are told.

#33 ·
Evil corporations own the media and the govt. They are bought and paid for to do what they are told.
Ding ding Ding. Until a true Independant takes control and cleans house, it will always be this way.

Both politcial parties serve one function: to raise money. Thus, we aren't voting for an idealology, we are voting for whomever raised the most cash and brainwashed the most ignorant voters with pointless taglines like "Change we can believe in" and "Death panels".

The solution is to completely do away with all political parties, outlaw lobbyists, and only allow individuals to donate to political campaigns.

#34 ·
First thank you to the OP. And I continue to respect his opinions.

It a very real possibility that the drought of Texas, areas of Oklahoma, areas of Arkansas, and even extending into my area of Missouri may very well be a multi-year thing for a while. Globally climatic change is hardly new, and for some areas has often lasted as much as 10 years. Historically for some, the change was permanent.
I watch with interest early this year as the US Agricultural department was predicting record crops. My response, and that of many others involved in REAL day to day farming was that they were full of crap [no news there]. Record flooding meant that crops [particularly grain crops] were put out VERY late, or in some cases fields left empty. The hint of a drought year was already there.
Fast forward a few months...I was right...the gov was stupid. If continued drought occurs you will see ever spiraling increases in food prices. Part of the reason the Ag department was so anxious to present a false and rosey report...was because of the desire for record grain sales to China and Russia. Our reserves are lower than they have ever been.
Fuel prices...lot of variables, but I would hardly be surprised to see that $5 gallon people have been touting in the coming year.
If Obama gets back in, you will certainly see major efforts to control firearms and the ammunition. Remember that without ammunition your pretty weapon is little more than a high dollar club [hmmm...that must be why I have all this powder, primers and bullets] . Because of the sheer volume of firearms in American hands, my bet is on a combination of laws regulations that allow LEO's to harrass...and severe curtailment of ammunition/components. It would cripple firearms ownership...and open the door for further restrictions down the road.
As to some of the criticisms of Kev's post...I guess you can have what ever opinion ya want. I just keep stacking up supplies.

#36 ·
I sense that what Kev is stating is STAY AWARE. I have no fear regarding the machinations of those...SONS OF BACHELORS...in this country. I EXPECT THEM to CONTINUE to do their worst, and I have planned how I shall address that. Their actions are sooo predictable; AWARENESS is our primary means of defense.

Yeah...this COUNTRY is in financial straits because of ABJECT STUPIDITY...we had been paying off the debt from WWII, and thereis no doubt that the DOCTRINE of NATION-REBUILDING is the primary cause, as well as a CALCULATED means to separate us from OUR MONEY. For example, if there is a bully on the block who insists involving you in his "INTRIGUE", and to finally get him off your back, you knock his teeth out...too bad, let him REMAIN TOOTHLESS. Why should I "MAKE FRIENDS" and pay for his new dental work? He started it; let him live with it.

Now, as far as "ENTITLEMENTS"...the ONLY ENTITLEMENTS are WELFARS and MEDICAID...let's FINALLY get THAT straight. I am NOT responsible for the bad choices of others, nor am I responsible for rationales and excuses FABRICATED by PSEUDO SOCIAL SCIENTISTS and assorted PSYCHO-BABBLE, designed to appeal to the HEART. If my own child engaged in a path of "FEEL-GOOD, wanton destruction and stole from me, I WOULD CUT HIM OFF PRONTO. Don't you see, the GOVERNMENT CREATED this mess for POLITICAL/VOTERS REASONS. The TAp is off, and its best to let them die of thirst...or STRAIGHTEN UP.

I do expect the IDEA(S) of 2012 to be capitalized upon..."DON'T LET A (POTENTIALLY) GOOD CRISIS GO TO WASTE"...and a further excuse to establish "REASONABLE CONTROLS". However, who determines what is reasonable and WHAT is reasonable. Not the elected officials in GOVT...not these GREAT VISIONARIES, but their AIDES who use OUR HARD-EARNED EFFORTS to wipe the butts of these POLICICAL ICONS...since ONLY THEY know what is best in order to maintain their own COMFORT ZONES...and everything costs us more and more.

TSA as modern "BROWN-SHIRTS? YEP...getting V-E-R-Y CLOSE...but NO CIGAR UNTIL they become openly armed...which will not happen over-night. I am very sure that if THAT is their intent, that person(s) somewhere within the APPARATUS of GOVT will make us ALL AWARE before it occurs. No doubt, THAT will be the time to sharpen pitch-forks and light torches.

Again, I reiterate, Kev's OP is a REMINDER to STAY ALERT AND AWARE. We are here on this board, no matter what our differences or minor discuaaion-squabbles we may have, for but ONE REASON...WE ARE TIRED OF ALL THE CRAP, LIES AND DECEITS. STAY THE COURSE.

#41 ·
I am convinced that we are in the calm just before the storm hits.

2012 is going to be an interesting year. We are going to have the most contentious, and violent, election at least since 1860, if not in our history.

The OWS folks are going to be out in force this spring, and I think they will be far more violent than last fall.

The economy is lethargic. And the US is going broke.

Toss in pretty much anything on top of this tinderbox and it all goes up in flames.

I pray that I am wrong.

#43 ·
Ron Paul cannot fix everything. He cannot make the congress pass good bills.

Ron Paul as commander in chief can avoid going into more undeclared wars that cost billions of dollars and 100's of thousands of lives. Yes I know that less than 5 thousand people died but what about all the people whoes lives were damaged from injury and PTS? As commander in chief he can find uses for our military that HELP keep OUR country safe instead of policing & building up the rest of the world. How about OUR boarders & if you want to worry about another country that is dangerous to us, how about the damn Mexican drug war that has already spilled into Texas, New Mexico, Nevada and California?
Let Israel worry about Israel lets save Texas & Nevad from the Zetta drug cartel.

#44 ·
I can explain the 2012 "hysteria and paranoia"...

It goes like this....

Notice how the Mayan "calendar" is engraved/chisled into a round stone? And our calendars are printed on paper, one month at a time, month ON TOP of month? They ran out of room and couldn't figure out that a second round stone would solve the problem...:D:

But yes...an Obama second term would be a most awful thing... I agree with you on that kev.

And yes...keep prepping as much as you can.

#46 ·
How do you think Iran feels about the US/Isreal plotting to bomb their country and denying them the right to have nuclear capabilities?

If Pakastan can have nuclear capabilities with the way their country is run who are we to deny any country to rule their own ---- their way.
The world community has a standard at which a country can posess nukes. This includes proper concealment, security and intent.

Iran has ties to terrorist groups and has threatened to use them on another country. They are in violation of world requirements for nuclear pocession.

The fact that they have threatened another country and is known to fund and supply terrorist groups makes them not only in violation but a serious threat to peace.

Ron Paul is wrong on this issue and would put the world in serious threat of nuclear war. While I believe in founding principles and agree with him on numerous issues, this is one we cannot ignor with 18th century idealism.

#59 ·
The world community has a standard at which a country can posess nukes. This includes proper concealment, security and intent.

Iran has ties to terrorist groups and has threatened to use them on another country. They are in violation of world requirements for nuclear pocession.

The fact that they have threatened another country and is known to fund and supply terrorist groups makes them not only in violation but a serious threat to peace.

Ron Paul is wrong on this issue and would put the world in serious threat of nuclear war. While I believe in founding principles and agree with him on numerous issues, this is one we cannot ignor with 18th century idealism.
Funny, but I'm sure Iranians don't want us having nuclear weapons.

I'm not a big fan of 'The World Government' so if I was a sovereign nation, I would tell 'The World Government' where to go. We develop what weapons we want without regard to what Iran, North Korea or Djibouti says after all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.