Survivalist Forum banner

What cheap, bulk food can I guy out and buy RIGHT NOW?

9K views 45 replies 37 participants last post by  Domindart 
#1 ·
Title says it all really.
I live opposite a 24h hypermarket.
I don't have much money (maybe, say, £20 to spend.. that's about $33).
I don't have any storage facilities, pots or containers.

So if you guys were in my situation.. what would you buy with that money? (only long shelf-life foods please, aka 5+ years at the least)

#9 ·
canned goods. mixed veggies, fruit cocktail, sardines, stay away from pre prepared canned goods like stews or things like spaghetti or other pasta based foods,they have less food value and are muy expensive compared to the very basics. you can fill the cupboards with food that will last for years with nothing else to buy except a can opener. Canned soups are good as well as canned meats. many people like spam or other processed meats. i also buy bullion cubes in the glass jars for flavor and for broth, and a few cans of spice and seasonings for added flavors. Great place to start for those who need long term storage and can't pack in vacuum, seal in tins or can their own.

its a good option for some!

#10 ·
Nearly impossible to answer without an understanding of the rest of your situation. If you can use the funds entirely for storage and don't need any part of it right now then grains and beans probably is the best bet. Rice does not keep a long time, not as long as wheat or corn or oats. A lot depends on how you eat and whether you would cope with whole grains and beans that were not otherwise cooked or prepared. If you have a kitchen and can cook -- then yes. If you do not or can not, these would not be wise purchases. Whole grains need to be sprouted or cooked and then mashed (oatmeal, corn polenta, etc) unless you have a way to grind them. So much of what you get depends on what you have for a kitchen and a way to prepare foods.

You can not store either of these long term in plastic or cardboard containers. However free glass jars are nearly everywhere -- and glass jars will keep rodents out. Look in a city glass recycling bin to find.

#13 ·
First- Move out of Englandistan.

Then-

Try this. I bought new steel 50 gallon trash cans with lids for $22.00 each. They'll hold 200lbs of food.

Buy dried beans by the 50 and 25 lb bag.

Buy a variety of rice, long grain, brown, white, etc. in 25 or 50lb bags.

Buy popcorn in 50 lb bags.

#15 ·
Title says it all really.
I live opposite a 24h hypermarket.
I don't have much money (maybe, say, £20 to spend.. that's about $33).
I don't have any storage facilities, pots or containers.
So if you guys were in my situation.. what would you buy with that money?
(only long shelf-life foods please, aka 5+ years at the least)
With that little money I would go with oats.

Do they have feed stores where you live? In the US you can buy 50 lb bags of oats meant for animal feed at a feed store. The things to look for is that they are not treated with any chemicals or medications. I would just ask the feed store owner if there is any reason humans could not eat it. Here you could probably buy 150 lbs of oats for that $33.

Store it in a cool dry place. But as soon as you can put it in Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers in plastic buckets or a big previously unused trash can.

Also follow the link in my sig. I am working on an ultra cheap get started plan there. Start with the bottom post and work your way up.

#22 ·
It's harvest season. I can all the foods I eat during the winter.

I buy corn for .20 cents (or less) an ear. I can them and it saves me a trip to the store and it is way cheaper to boot!

Personally I would hit up the farmers markets and try working out a deal. Shake some hands, haggle, get to know the person not just the name.

As a farmer, with friends whom are real farmers, we often deal in trades or bulk buys.

It's smart to loose a hundred dollars, yet know one of my harvests are sold before they are even planted. Makes budgeting nice. Win win for the both of us.

Sometimes the best prep is investing in people.

#26 ·
Freeze your rice for a couple of days before packing in your drink bottles. There are weevels in it whether you see em or not. Freezing will kill the live ones and he eggs. Then pack it up and your good to. That goes for any sort of grain or grain product you want to store.

Reactions: whiteangel
#27 ·
For $33 you can't go getting much fancy like buckets or steel containers. Buy some oatmeal, should be able to get about 20 pounds packaged in nice serving size containers or cardboards containers. They'll last ok for 5 years. You could get pasta and some plastic bags and just seal them up, they last but they start to taste funky after a few years.

Beggars can't be choosers...

#28 ·
Rice is a good choice for an "I'm panicking and want to do something right now" sort of prep. It's cheap, filling, and easy to store. About 3 pounds will fit in a 2 liter bottle. Storage is easily 5 years in a 2 liter bottle, and longer in mylar+buckets.

Rice makes it really easy to stretch normal foods.
Can of Condensed chicken/veggie soup = ~250 calories
Can of condensed chicken/veggie soup + 2 cups dry rice = 1,850 calories

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.