Survivalist Forum banner
49K views 164 replies 116 participants last post by  Bansai223 
#1 ·
Compact, good shelf life, calorie-dense with plenty of protein!

SPAM: its what's for dinner (after the apocalypse)!

#80 ·
Oh yeah . . . Great Survival food. The glut of sodium / salt packed in that SPAM byproduct food material will do great things for a person's blood pressure. Might get through the initial SHTF scenario, but you may not survive the SPAM.

A more practical use for the stuff would be to plug up bullet holes in soft skinned recon vehicles.

#81 ·
The other half was always against me buying Spam or DAK ham to try in order for us to determine whether or not the family will eat it.

Last weekend, I went ahead and bought some anyway for us to try out. NOW, he says since things seem to be getting worse by the day, he thinks the S will HTF soon, so he wants to get more of them. Go figure! :p

#106 ·
An occasional fried spam sandwich isn't bad but I prefer to mix it with eggs, mac and cheese, or red beans and rice. With ground sausage, kielbasa, and some spam, red beans and rice has an almost exotic flavor:)

If and when I fry it up I rinse it off in the sink before preparing it tbh. Even then, it's too damn salty.

#111 ·
Adding the onions and peppers to fried spam sounds tasty.

Do they really have low salt Spam? Never saw it.

What are "Fish steaks"?
Canned Mackerel is cheap and good, too.
Couldnt say for sure what species they are, but they appear to be larger " sardines " ( and they use a lot of species in that category )that are cut cross away from head to tail.

Picture the head cut off and you are looking at the cut off end of the carcass. Then just keep slicing down the length of the spine.

I like em packed with green chilis and sardines too.

#120 ·
Im not really a follower of the eat what you store, store what you eat crowd. Im not currently eating out of #10 cans, nor am I eating dehydrated or freeze dried foods. I cant afford to. I buy foods to last for emergencys. I would rather eat fresh while I can.

But everyone here complaining about spam, well if shtf you will be fighting for a can of it and not complaining about taste or salt. Food is fuel period. Of course now we can be picky about taste.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.