Survivalist Forum banner
49K views 164 replies 116 participants last post by  Bansai223 
#1 ·
Compact, good shelf life, calorie-dense with plenty of protein!

SPAM: its what's for dinner (after the apocalypse)!

#38 ·
Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam... You're going to have that in your head all night now :)

I won't go into the dynamics of my husband's side of the family, but a one-inch cube of Spam will coax a Rottweiler off an extension ladder so your cousin's boyfriend can get off the roof.

It's the dinner that is a defensive weapon: Tinned Spam packs a wallop when thrown. Once open, the lid can be folded and pounded to a razor sharp point.

Should things collapse into an MZB scenario, I will enjoy the final irony of wearing my Spam tee shirt while running from the cannibals :)

#39 ·
I tried it once, out of idle curiosity. Wanted to know what all you yanks were on about :D: Can't say I was all that impressed, but it wasn't exactly unbearable either. Mind you, I just ate the entire can cold, might try it again and cook it up with something else. As for prep-food, I've so far been stocking up on canned tuna, but will be including some spam for variety. Unfortunately it's pretty expensive over here in comparison to tuna.

Apart from canned fish and spam etc, there don't appear to be a lot of options for long-term storage of a decent protein source. Suggestions?

#45 ·
I like the new individual serving packets they have now. Fired me up some to go with my pancakes this morning.

#46 ·
Spam was a huge part of camp out meals with my parents as a kid. I loved it in those days but, I've burnt out on it as far as an every day meal.

Today the wife & I enjoy a spam sandwich for lunch or dinner about once a month but, any more than that & the nastalga wears off. It's just too salty for me. I haven't tried it breaded or BBQ'd which sounds like a good idea.

In the military we used tobasco sauce to help the MRE's go down & it worked wonders. I'm thinking Black beans, scrambled eggs, spam chunks & tobasco might be delishious. Perhaps a little cream cheese or sour cream could be added to that pre-shtf?

#49 ·
Spam is part of my preps. I really like the stuff-has to be cooked.

I like fried spam with scrambled eggs, put spam in navy beans (near the end of cooking), and it goes nice with boiled rice. I wouldn't want to make it the bulk of my preps, but as a supplement to other items I think it is wonderful.

I want to try cooking it on the charcoaler-never tried that.

My wife and I break open a can every now and then and enjoy having it! I only buy the low sodium version.

#57 ·
SPAM (the actual stuff sold by HORMEL) is made of:

• Chopped pork shoulder meat mixed with ham. Spam is mostly pork from a pig's shoulders (around 90%). About 10% comes from ham, or pig's buttocks and thigh.
  • Mechanically Separated Meat (edible meat attached to bone/s, put under high pressure and passed through a sieve to separate the bone from the edible meat tissue)
  • Modified Potato Starch for food processing
  • Salt (Phosphates, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Ascorbate) for flavor and as a preservative.
  • Water is used to bind all ingredients together.
  • Sugar for flavour.
  • Sodium nitrate to prevent botulism and as a preservative. This ingredient is what gives SPAM its bright pink colour.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture does not permit any nonmeat fillers in luncheon meat as well as pig snouts, lips, or ears.

As a FYI:
Nikita Krushchev credited SPAM with the survival of the WWII Russian army.
He said: "Without SPAM, we wouldn't have been able to feed our army."

Reactions: Mechman
#70 ·
:D: You and my middle son ... He would have eaten SPAM at every meal if I had let him. He took a job at a grocery store when he was in high school. I don't know how he did it but he talked the manager into letting him buy cases of SPAM at wholesale. :eek:

This was before I got into prepping.

That kid had SPAM stacked up EVERYWHERE in his bedroom ... I finally had to put my foot down ... That kid's farts were UNBEARABLE. :xeye:

Reactions: MikeK
#73 ·
Trivia Time!!!!!

People always want to know why SPAM is so hot in Hawaii as a commodity. I can answer that! It is because long ago it took too long to get many meat products even between islands and much of hawaii didn't have domestic refrigeration. A canned meat product that embraced pork as it's primary ingredient was in dire need.

Spam saved the day.

Having lived in Hawaii longer than any other place in my life and the kids being totally island kids, we love spam. Being originally from N.C., I'm already predisposed to loving Spam.

Spam lite or less salt is much more digestible and flavor friendly for adults.

A million ways to cook spam and we love them. It isn't made of anything hinky, it is almost entirely pork shoulder with some ham in it. None of the weirdness you think.

Never eat it from the can. That is nasty. Cook it...pan seared to make it crispy and carmelized is more delicoius than I can say with eggs and grits!

Also...Vienna sausages from Libby taste like cat food. It is the Armour ones that taste good. :)

#74 ·
lol when i was a kid my parents got divorced and my new stepmother came from lets say not the most luxurious living situation and ate it alot, then she made it for my dad and i and we about threw up. Now every year my mom gets me a can of it just to make fun of me, if i only would have been stocking it up all these years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.