Survivalist Forum banner
49K views 164 replies 116 participants last post by  Bansai223 
#1 ·
Compact, good shelf life, calorie-dense with plenty of protein!

SPAM: its what's for dinner (after the apocalypse)!

#8 ·
I a BIG FAN of black beans and rice, but I gotta say, SPAM runs a real close second.

I'd like it better if it wasn't so danged salty ...

#15 ·
Same here. Hell, I've probably got a can or two in storage.

It's been at least 20 years sense I last had it.

And back then I hated it. How exactly does one make a Spam dinner? (this is a serious question, and I hope you guys leave recipes)

It's a Congealed Gelatin preshaped Can of miscellaneous Fat, Salt, and animal byproducts.

While none of that is beneath me, I don't see myself entering it into my families meal pattern.

Reactions: MR_SLOW and ajk1941
#11 ·
I went camping and we lost all of our food (don't ask) but spam and white rice. Dear god I do not think I can eat spam again.

Breakfast? a whole can of spam.
Lunch? half a can with white rice.
Dinner? Spam and white rice.

Needless to say I had erupting lava from my rear end and did NOT end up burning all of those calories off.. Tasted good the first meal, after that.. yeck.

#27 ·
I went camping and we lost all of our food (don't ask) but spam and white rice. Dear god I do not think I can eat spam again.

Breakfast? a whole can of spam.
Lunch? half a can with white rice.
Dinner? Spam and white rice.

Needless to say I had erupting lava from my rear end and did NOT end up burning all of those calories off.. Tasted good the first meal, after that.. yeck.
Sorry, gotta ask. Did your food float downstream?? I myself have never tasted spam yet. But have it in my preps and hope to not need it for YEARS!!

#14 ·
i know the stuff has a perpetual shelf life but thats because no microorganism on this planet is deranged enough to consider it a food source. except people.

i cant eat it...the taste is horrible. i place it in the same taste-category as dog and cat food which id eat as readily as spam. that is...only if i were starving

#23 ·
Chicken organs, Rooster penis, junk emails, and Pork anus is technically meat products.

At least they never tried to pretty it up, or pretend it's something different. Right?

I'm from the South. We eat Hog Head cheese, and chitlins unapologetic.

SPAM= Some Parts Are Meat. The rest, is your value system being marginalized for self preservation, curiosity, or convenience.

Reactions: Sprig and Dragunov
#20 ·
Back when I was young, I could eat Spam sliced, fried and with a slice of processed cheese between bread as a sandwich. But those were the days I could consume 9000 calories a day and not look like the Goodyear blimp. But as the metabolism slows with the onslaught of the years the need to constantly supply the furnace with fuel has dwindled. Now it is more about enjoying the food as I eat it.

I no longer keep the obligatory can of Spam in the cupboard. :upsidedown:

#22 ·
Back when I was young, I could eat Spam sliced, fried and with a slice of processed cheese between bread as a sandwich. But those were the days I could consume 9000 calories a day and not look like the Goodyear blimp. But as the metabolism slows with the onslaught of the years the need to constantly supply the furnace with fuel has dwindled. Now it is more about enjoying the food as I eat it.
Ditto on that. We used to make Spam and Velvetta sandwiches, 1/2" thick slices on big rolls when we went hiking. No more, if I tried that now my heart would seize up!

#24 ·
Spam is normal food in Hawaii. Me and girlfriend had a discussion one time about why people in the mainland hate spam, or think spam is nasty. We came to the conclusion that those who think it's nasty, think it's nasty because they didn't cook it and ate it right out of the can. Hell, I cringe at that thought myself. You ALWAYS cook spam after taking it out of the can. Otherwise it's some nasty stuff.

For dinner, you can use it to stir fry with some vegetables. If you made yourself some top ramen and added nothing else in it, throw some spam in there while it's boiling. You can just slice it up thinly and fry it and eat it with rice.

lol

#30 ·
I'm originally from the midwest..(ohio) and we used to have it on semi-regular occaision. Sliced bout 1/4" thick on a baking sheet with a piece of velveeta on it, broiled til golden brown, then place on white bread with a little mayo!

MAN.... I gotta force myself to stay out of the preps right now!!!

My wife will not touch the stuff!

RJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.