Survivalist Forum banner
12K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  MikeK 
#1 ·
For those of you that are looking for some canned meats and canned cheeses, CampingSurvival.com has Yoders canned meats and bacon.

Yoder's Canned Beef
Yoder's Canned Pork Sausage
Yoder's Canned Hot Dogs - "Grill Delights"
Yoder's Canned Pork Chunks
Yoder's Canned Turkey Chunks

http://www.campingsurvival.com/camechbu.html

Something that I am interested in is the Red Feather canned cheddar cheese. Part of my food preps is storing mac & cheese in mylar bags. The problem is, I heard that the powdered cheese goes bad after a few years.

So why not leave the cheese packet out of the mylar bag, seal up the mac & cheese. When it comes time to open the pouch, make up the mac, then spread the Red Feather canned cheese over the bowl of mac?

The red feather canned cheese is supposed to have a minimum 10 - 15 year shelf life.

Breakfast burrito idea:

Store some tortilla mix in mylar bags.
Red feather canned cheese
Powered eggs
Canned bacon

And you have everything you need for a good protein rich meal that will kick start your day.

I am a firm believer in stockpiling food for breakfast. Since breakfast sets the pace for the rest of the day, this makes it the most important meal of the day.

See less See more
#5 ·
I'm not tryn to steer people away from the website you listed at all!! But they have the keystone meats on there, as well as the Yoders, I've tried both and would buy the keystone over Yoders anyday anytime!! If you actually go to www.keystonemeats.com its SOOO Much cheaper than buying it at the website listed... Like $20-$35 cheaper per case at keystone website!!

I do like the bacon tho from yoders... I see they sell hotdogs now in cans?! Thats awesome.. They actually look really good too, goin to have to pick some up!
Has anyone tried the hotdogs??

Never tried the red feather butter either, would u say its worth buying ya??

#6 ·
I've stocked a bunch of macaroni (though not too much as it doesn't store as efficiently as other food), with the intent of making mac and cheese for whomever.

I've used Bega canned cheese, and it's not bad. It's processed cheese, but it has essentially an indefinite shelf life.

It's on my short list of food to get, now that I have my Ghee.

#7 ·
Can't you but just #10 cans of like the cheese powder thats specifically meant for mac n' cheese?? I'm pretty sure, let me check couple websites.....

EDIT: Ya i found some at www.shelfreliance.com - Its called cheese blend, and says its mainly used for homemade mac n' cheese.
Got great reviews! Some said it was great on popcorn too.. I'm goin to buy some of this for sure!

#10 ·
This post reminded me of an article I read in Backwoods Home Magazine on canning bacon at home.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/gay127.html

I've read several articles similar to this, and most often they discuss how it is not recommended by the FDA.

I was wondering if anyone does can their own bacon? I was also curious if you could use the precooked bacon (from a safety standpoint) and stretch out it's shelf life through canning or sealing?

#15 ·
Ya know, not trying to start a flame war, BUT, you post that same link in EVERY thread about Yoders, yet NO WHERE on that site can you order bacon, nor do they even mention bacon.

They make canned meats, and they offer private label/branding. But no bacon.

-von

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.