Survivalist Forum banner
5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  TOO TALL TEX 
#1 ·
How can I tell that the oxygen absorber I put in with my rice is doing it's job?
When can I expect maximum oxygen removal?

I know I won't get a "vacuum seal" look (air being nearly 80% nitrogen) to see that it's working. And I don't want to open a mylar bag 5 years from now and find that something went wrong, something I could have fixed today.

Any help?

#2 ·
When you seal up your mylar, seal all but about 1" or so; then squeeze out all the air you reasonably can. Seal up the last 1".

Depending on the food you have in the bag, rice or wheat say, the absorber will create a partial vacuum and the bag will be pulled against the food, giving it a sort of vacuum-packed coffee-brick appearance.

That tightening down of the mylar on the food always tells me two things: The O2 absorber is working, creating the partial vacuum, and the bag is effectively sealed with no pinholes or tears.

#4 ·
The bags I use for the big buckets are 4.3 mil in thickness.

The bags for normal 1-gallon bags are thinner than that (can't recall what) but they won't withstand pokey spaghetti.

Mylarbagsdirect.com sells an 8-mil bag for things like spaghetti which works just fine with it.

#6 ·
For most food packing the 4.3 mil bags are fine. If in doubt you could use the heavier 7 mil bags.

Never, ever use the 2.5 mil bags or stuff sold in rolls that are less then the 4.3 mil film thickness. I've seen a few thread with folks asking about these products, looking to save a penny.

Most of the places selling Mylar bags for food packing will be the 4.3 mil thickness. If they don't state what thickness they are call and ask or find another vendor. the only place I've seen with the thicker bags is Sorbent, which also sell the thin stuff too.
http://www.sorbentsystems.com/mylar.html

You'll want the PAKVF4. (4.3 mils)
The PAKVF2.5M (2.5 mils)would be to thin for long term storage.
Their thick materials are;
PAKVF4PC (6 mils)
PAKDRY 7500 (7.5 mils)

I've never used anything but the 4.5 mils (or there about for everything.) It's the most common and what's sold by most places that sell them for long term food storage. For items that might puncture the bag I don't try to remove all the air and hope it doesn't tighten up on the food.

Note: the one gallon bags are only 3.5 mils, so thinner then the ones for 5 gallon buckets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.