Survivalist Forum banner

Lets clear the air on Store bought Canned goods.

30K views 66 replies 33 participants last post by  ELBUFO 
#1 ·
http://www.grandpappy.info/hshelff.htm

I came across this when looking up the real shelf life of canned foods. From my personal experience I have eatten canned foods that were 5 years past expiration date. These canned foods were kept in a dry mild climate. The can had no visible signs of dents or rust. When opening it, it tasted just fine.

http://www.whatcom.wsu.edu/family/facts/shelflif.htm

I am no expert, but when it comes to stock piling foods, I am worried we might be throwing good foods away. Low-acidic foods like tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, pumpkin, and peas might last even longer.

Bacteria growth often will buldge the can. However from what I have read this is rather rare. You can also do a smell and taste test.

#54 ·
She is right man.

On an unrelated note, well done on raising your son.

Seriously.

We live in a jacked up world, and not only is your son ok with forgoing stupid teen ambitions, but he AND his friends are doing some good.

You should feel proud. You made him who he is. How he turns out yes is his own choice, but you didn't hurt.

#60 ·
I found and ate a can of Cambell tomato soup a year or so back that had gotten lost at the back of the shelf. I posted here at the time. I believe it was three yrs. past date. The color was darker and the taste off a little but I tried it and didn't have any problems.
Wife had a cummin-apart but Drs. & Hosp. were handy if I had needed them.
Now I know my grandkids can eat it if they need to.

#61 ·
i'm leaving for texas krogers now, for the .29 cent canned veggies. would you suggest taking I-10 crutch. oh yeah, i might need a place to stay for the night.

#62 ·
I am thrilled to read this thread. I been wondering how on earth I can afford FD veggies. I have bought a few, but with the added shipping, its very expensive. I figured out corn was about 5 times the price FD than store bought canned corn. Now I will just go to the store and buy a bunch of cases of canned corn and other veggies and not worry about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.