Survivalist Forum banner

Lets clear the air on Store bought Canned goods.

30K views 66 replies 33 participants last post by  ELBUFO 
#1 ·
http://www.grandpappy.info/hshelff.htm

I came across this when looking up the real shelf life of canned foods. From my personal experience I have eatten canned foods that were 5 years past expiration date. These canned foods were kept in a dry mild climate. The can had no visible signs of dents or rust. When opening it, it tasted just fine.

http://www.whatcom.wsu.edu/family/facts/shelflif.htm

I am no expert, but when it comes to stock piling foods, I am worried we might be throwing good foods away. Low-acidic foods like tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, pumpkin, and peas might last even longer.

Bacteria growth often will buldge the can. However from what I have read this is rather rare. You can also do a smell and taste test.

#4 ·
I still have a huge jar of Green Beans. It's at least 5 years old.

The can is huge, and I have never had a reason to make that much.

It will probably be in my pantry another 5 years.

#10 ·
Darn, you're right. I thought it was low acid because when you can them, you have to add a little lemon juice. But I read that it's actually used to lower the PH levels....

What are exactly ph levels? :taped:

Google time.

Reactions: grandma and VINCENT
#6 ·
My Grandmother who just passed away recently at the ripe old age of 97 was famous for using OLD food. She used to bring us canned goods that when we checked the date would be in the '80's. This is the same stuff she ate on a regular basis. WE didn't eat it, but she did and served old stuff to anyone who stopped by and not only did no one get sick, but it sure didn't hurt her longevity:D:

#8 ·
Well, some of the canned food I ate just a few days ago was mushy and less tasty even *before* its expiration date. The cans were not dented, not rusted and kept in a cool dry place. I think different people have varying standards as to what is acceptable as far as taste. However, all would be perfectly fine in an emergency situation and I will continue to stock and rotate cans as part of my food plan.

I don't think most national brand canned food companies produce their goods with survival in mind. I think most of them think the can will sit on a shelf for 3 or 4 months max--not the 2 or even 1 year I let them sit.

#9 ·
i was just looking at info in another thread where people were talking about the taste of some of the LTS foods, dehydrated goods, and other foods like spam they had stored. some were even getting rid of goods just because they didnt like the way they tasted. or the texture was odd. i wanted to scream. THIS WONT MATTER IN AN EMERGENCY!!!!your going to be hungry, or desperate, or hungry and desperate. it wont matter a lick to you when your belly is filled. do you think people who have been starving and eating shoe leather were commenting on the taste?" god this is awful. tastes like a pair of shoes worn for years and stepped in countless piles of god knows what." no they were just trying to survive.

#22 ·
I agree completely. If you haven't eaten in a week or two and you stumble across a can of something you don't like, it's going to taste like filet mignon to you.

But therein lies the problem. If you have preps, and you are that hungry, there's a big problem. Most likely appetite fatigue caused by choking down just enough of the foods you don't like, to keep your stomach from growling, or because somebody didn't build the cooking skills ahead of time to create good tasting meals from them.

This is just one of the reasons that the food storage mantra "store what you eat, and eat what you store" is so important. Keeping up our energy and morale is important. This comes from eating nutritious foods that we enjoy.

If we have to choke it down, we're not going to be at our best, physically or psychologically. And appetite fatigue can actually be a serious, even life threatening, condition in some people. Especially kids and the elderly. When you look at it from that aspect, food matters more in an emergency than it does in normal life.

So store foods that you like, and most importantly, learn to be a good cook. Learn to turn your staple basics into great dishes. The world is full of incredible cuisines from many countries that use some or most of the same staples we're storing. Cooking is a basic life skill, and something that needs mastered ahead of time.

#11 ·
I think the people who can the stuff (Libbies, Campbells, etc) give their goods a shorter-term expiration date on purpose to cover their a$$es just in case. Just like car manufacturers do with their vehicle-load-ratings. I have a 3/4 ton van that I know for a fact will handle 2500 lbs of weight. I've eaten PLENTY of stuff past it's expiration date and I've made it to 44 y.o. so far.

Don't throw anything away! If it smells bad when you open it, THEN toss it. ;)

#14 ·
Agreed. I wonder if they do it, just to have it move faster?

If I buy 400 cans of Corn on Epic Special .25 cents a can, it will take me forever to go through it. However if it "expired" in 2 years, then I will be back to buy new ones at .70 cents a can.

#12 ·
Oh I understand now.

In a solution pH approximates but is not equal to p[H], the negative logarithm (base 10) of the molar concentration of dissolved hydronium ions (H3O+); a low pH indicates a high concentration of hydronium ions, while a high pH indicates a low concentration.

That was simple.

#20 ·
one of the links i read that crutch p[osted listed tomatos and fruits as high acidic. just going by his link. the closest thing ive ever done to canning was putting the top back on the ketchup when i was done

#36 ·
1998... THAT was one hell of a moment in time. I was round 17 or 18.

Enjoy your nostalgic metal tasting soup. haha

#23 ·
Found this on Hormel's website: http://www.hormelfoods.com/faqs.aspx#can4

They are the makers of SPAM, Dinty Moore Stew, Chili, hash, etc.

What is the shelf life of a Hormel Foods product in an unopened can?

The processing techniques utilized by Hormel Foods makes the canned product safe for use indefinitely if the product seal remains intact, unbroken and securely attached to a can that has been well maintained. It is suggested that all canned products be stored in a cool and dry environment to keep the flavor adequately preserved. For maximum flavor it is recommended that the product be used within three years of the manufacturing date. After that period of time, the product is still safe to use however, the flavor gradually declines.

#24 ·
Well? this is all good news and good to hear. However we are staying on the rotate it out type of use. We have a solid two years worth of stored foods on hand at all times. So right now we are eating the 2011 expiration and have two years of 2012 and 2013 on the shelves. By this time next year the 2012 will be used up. W e are not going to stock any more then two years worth. When we add this to our rabbits, garden, eggs, chickens etc. It can be stretched out a long way past 2 years. Kingfish

#25 ·
Crutch,
I've eaten five year old cans of chili that were stored in a garage in Vacaville, CA (100+ temps in summer). Beans were a bit chewy iirc but entirely edible.

I find pH makes more sense if I think of water as H+ and OH-. OH- ~ hydroxide. H+ ~ hydronium. More H+ you have in relation to OH-, the more acidic it is. And the pH is lower because you have the H+ on the bottom of your equation.

HTH

#29 ·
Him! DGR! You are the smart guy.

Now please explain how pH works, if Tomatoes are Low acid fruits, and if you have time, why we have to add lemon juice to canned tomatoes. Also, what benefit lemon juice actually provides.

In advance dgr, thank you. :)

We need more Chemistry savvy survivalists.

#26 ·
Arrange your pantry well....AS you eat the oldest item replace it..There is no need to long store food and watch it sit on a shelf and wonder someday after the experiation date if it is good to eat...I eat my MRE's and Mountain House weekly....They are foods and i replace them accordingly.....

#39 ·
Here is the situation. In Texas Kroger is selling various types of Canned vegetables. For .26 CENT a can!

I would buy two thousands of them. That's $520 for 2,000 cans. No sales tax.

If I ate 1 can for every day, it would 2000 days to eat it all. 365 days in a year, it would take me 5.4 years to complete it. That's well over the 2 year expiration date....

And you know what? After 6 years or less, they would still be fresh and delicious.

Texas gets all the breaks. ;)

Reactions: VINCENT
#27 ·
I'm not too worried about going past the expiration date. Just look, smell, and taste for anything unusual.

I'm trying to avoid too many canned goods though. I'm leary of all the salt. I like to have some though to supplement rice and pasta dishes.

I do have a bunch of tuna and I'm starting to get some more canned chicken to reduce mercury consumption. I can use the protien in my workouts anyway so I figured to stock up. I'm making great gains by the way:)

#33 ·
Keep it up! I have a few pics somewhere, that my friends say are photoshopped.

Working out isn't something hard for me to start, or even stick with short term. The problem for me is sticking with it. I usually go for a good solid year then give it up.

Stick with it. Remember to rest, take in massive protean, and switch up which muscles you work. Push today, pull tomorrow, rest, repeat.

#34 ·
According to Momma (way more experienced at cooking than I), you add lemon juice to can tomatoes to ensure they're acidic enough. Even though tomatoes are generally high acid (low pH), there are many hybrids out there that are lower acid to accomodate more sensitive tummies. Therefore, to be safe, if you're going to water bath tomatoes, add lemon juice.

Of course if you're going to use a pressure canner, you don't have to worry about acidity and it's all moot.

#37 ·
Heres the deal on tomatoes for people who grow and can their own with the BHW method
We add concentrated lemon juice to ours just to be safe.
"Researchers at USDA and at the University of Minnesota have found that most underripe to ripe, cooked tomatoes have a pH below 4.6. Unfortunately, a few varieties may have a pH above or close to 4.6. These include Ace, Ace 55VF, Beefmaster Hybrid, Big Early Hybrid, Big Girl, Big Set, Burpee VF Hybrid, Cal Ace, Delicious, Fireball, Garden State, Royal Chico, and San Marzano. Some of these are grown for commercial purposes and are not found in home gardens. However, safely canning these varieties requires additional acid for water bath processing or a pressure canning process similar to low acid vegetables."

#40 ·
http://www.grandpappy.info/hshelff.htmI am no expert, but when it comes to stock piling foods, I am worried we might be throwing good foods away.
I can honestly say I NEVER throw away food unless its already gone bad.

Back in 1990s I found a mason jar of canned pears dated 1977 and they were still good and tasty.

Then again, I'm a cheap skate and the concept of "throwing away" anything irks me :thumb:

#45 ·
Being Fiscally responsible is rule number 2 of being a Survivalist.

oh yeah, I made a list of Survivalist qualities and rules... (never mind)

Being cheap is smart. You are a healthy guy, and it didn't kill you. The seal was still good, and you ate something which society would certainly throw out.

That is a survivalist Hurdle. It's eating bugs, Pine Needle Tea, or peeing on your own foot as you've stepped on a jelly fish. I applaud you man!

I know people who have NEVER eaten the end pieces of Bread. (referred to as the heal) I know people who refuse to eat bread crusts. I also know people who readily challenge themselves to eat something safe and nutritious, which goes against the norms of society. Not foolish leaps of faith like eating wild mushrooms, but well educated ones where they attempt to galvanize their inner resolve.

I wont let you down play your victory.

Apparently a lot of us have challenged the expiration dates. Maybe I should add that to my list of qualities?

#42 ·
So, tomatoes are not acidic enough, and you add lemon juice (pH lower) to make them more acidic?

#44 ·
Modern canning methods make expiration dates non sequitur. .

In fact, most modern canned products no longer have an "expiration date". They have a "Best By" OR "Best If Used By" date, which is legally different than an expiration date. It is a date where "freshness" is guaranteed (as long as the can is not damaged or show signs of expansion). After that date the product may start losing flavor, nutrition, palatability.

Tomatoes are less canning friendly because of the Ph (as others have mentioned).

As long as a can is not damaged or bulging, and the food smells OK, it should be safe to eat. I move my "expired" cans to a single shelf and eat those cans first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.