Survivalist Forum banner
22K views 71 replies 44 participants last post by  panoz77 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anybody was putting canned meats(spam/ham) in their long term storage buckets

I like to put a variety of things in the same bucket and a meat to add to the rice/pasta/beans in mylar bags would be great

Other ideas for additional items to add would be appreciated

BTW how long does say country ham last in a store bought vacuum pack since this is usually not even kept cool in the store???

summer sausage?

Thanks!!!!!

#6 ·
Homesteading FTW. Chickens, goats, quail, and rabbit. If you have more land, then even cows.

But if you wanna add meats for prepping, then I suggest canning.

I canned a LOT of chicken about 3 years ago. It's still fresh as they day I canned it, other then being more tender.

#9 ·
Where are the best places and best deals on freeze dried meat. Also in the opinions of those of you that have used this stuff, what is the best tasting? I have had some freeze dried crap in my day I wouldn't eat again so it makes sense to not store such stuff, at least for me.

#10 ·
I just got into canning as a survival skill. Its not the growing, that is the hard part, its the keeping it for later that will get you.

I am putting up all my deer meat as practice since my wife is not a big fan of venison. I am using an inch chunk of beef fat which seems to draw the gamey flavor out. She won't be able to tell it its deer.

It is definitely a 'bug in' operation though. The jars alone are heavy.

#11 ·
+1 for canning it yourself. I love my All American Pressure Canner. I can chicken breast with mesquite marinade for fajitas. We bought a whole cow from a neighbor and had it butchered and I've been canning a lot of the meat. Like another member here told me, how much do you think it would cost for a pint or quart of organic beef? A lot more than I can afford, I'm sure. We got tons of soup bones from it so I'm making beef stock with them and canning that too.

#12 ·
I have prepped SPAM as part of my meat preps. It will last virtually forever, and it's a way to keep fat long-term.

I've also prepped the Aldi version of DAK hams, a lot of tuna fish, some corned beef, and some canned chicken.

The tuna fish is interesting. The can dates are longer if the fish is packed in oil than in water. Seems odd, but it is what it is.

I've also home-canned a little bit of chicken using my All American pressure canner. Just heard that a local grocery has boneless pork chops on sale, might have to get 10 pounds of those and can 'em.

#14 ·
I'm personally considering trying to learn to make jerky (or something jerky-like). So far I have two cans of SPAM, one of which I intend to break into in the near future. It's good to have especially if there's the possibility of meat becoming scarce (be it from economic, climate, or militant vegan causes)

#20 ·
Buy yourself a good canning pressure cooker and can any meat or fish you want to keep. It will last for years. Even ole carp is good for "salmon" patties, the canning will soften the bones just like sardines. We have a good supply and only concern ourselves with keeping everything from raiders. We will bug out only at the very last moment and rely on our caches, but that won't last long. Only hope my son in law and daughter make it here to help us protect everything. Good luck folks, always remember to keep your bible in one hand and a weapon in the other.

#28 ·
Good luck with that when everybody else, all 300+ million of them, have the same idea.

Unless you live in a very, very isolated area--and maybe you do--expect wild game to be hunted out within 30 days of food shortages.

I will take anything hunting brings to my table, but I'm not counting on any of it. Hunting solo will be dangerous. Who's doing overwatch while field-dressing a deer? Hunters, I fear, will become the hunted.

#25 ·
Here in the midwest I don't worry so much about beef and pork,goat, sheep... somebody will have it available eventually, but if trucks stop running I may never see seafood again, I have cans of smoked herring, sardines, mackerel, salmon, shrimp, crab.... oysters... adding everything I can because once its gone in real shtf, thats it baby!
In central Il there are no oceans!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.