Survivalist Forum banner
91K views 116 replies 94 participants last post by  gatekeeper2earth 
#1 · (Edited)
Don’t want to stockpile 1,000 pounds of dried rice and beans? Want something that taste a little better then MREs? Want something that you don’t have to worry about rotating out?

One of the main problems with stockpiling survival food preps, is that people sometimes stockpile what they do not normally eat. So the food stocks sit in a closet, expire, and have to be thrown out. In the long run its easier to stockpile what your family normally eats so rotation is handled in a natural manner.

What are the requirements for a survival food prep?

Nutrition content
Calorie content
At least 1 year shelf life
No special storage after opening / or, serving size so that the whole thing can be eaten after opening
No special cooking requirements – open and eat, or heat and eat
Something your family normally eats
Considerations for special diets
Price

1. Honey – Stores for long time without refrigeration, can be used as a topical anti-biotic ointment, can be added to other foods, does not have to be cooked or re-hydrated, contains trace minerals.

Honey should not be given to children under 2 years of age. People with certain allergies should not eat honey due to allergic reactions.

2. Peanut butter – only stockpile what might be considered “organic” or “natural” peanut butter. Some types of peanut butter on the market contain partially hydrogenated oils, which has been linked to coronary heart disease. In 2006 the New England Journal of Medicine published a report linking trans fat consumption and coronary heart disease. So be sure to read the labels of your Peanut Butter – if it has partially hydrogenated oil listed as an ingredient, do not buy it.

My family stocks up on Jif Natural and Skippy Natural peanut butter.

Jif Natural Creamy 18 ounce jar:
Serving size – 2 tablespoons about 33grams
Servings per container – about 15
Calories – 190
Calories from fat – 130
Total fat 16g
Saturated fat – 3g
Trans fat – 0g
Cholesterol – 0mg
Sodium – 80mg
Total carbs – 8g
Dietary Fiber – 2g
Sugars – 3g
Protein – 7g
Calcium – 2%
Vitamin E -10%
Iron – 4%
Niacin – 20%

Skippy Natural Creamy 15 ounce jar:
Serving size – 2 tablespoons about 32grams
Servings per container – about 13
Calories – 190
Calories from fat – 140
Total fat 16g
Saturated fat – 3.5g
Trans fat – 0g
Cholesterol – 0mg
Sodium – 150mg
Total carbs – 6g
Dietary Fiber – 2g
Sugars – 3g
Protein – 7g
Vitamin E -10%
Iron – 4%
Niacin – 20%

Notice that the Jif Natural has 80mg of sodium, while the Skippy natural has 150mg of sodium. My family will probably be phasing the Skippy Natural Creamy peanut butter out of our food stocks in favor of the lower sodium content of the Jif Natural.

3. Some kind of canned fish – whether this is tuna fish or canned salmon, its left up to the taste buds of whoever is going to be eating the stuff.

Eating a lot of fish is a double edged sword – due to our dependence on coal fired power plants, most of the waterways around the world and fish are now contaminated with mercury. Its not recommended that pregnant woman (or anyone else) eat a lot of tuna these days.

Due to the mercury in tuna, and other fish, I'am kinda leery of listing it as part of a survival food stockpile.

Fish is a good source of protein, with tuna having about 10 grams of protein and 100mg of Potassium per serving.

Tuna also stores for a long time – the can I’am looking at right now has an expiration date of August 2013, which is 2 years and 7 months from when this article was posted.

Canned fish usually comes in 2 serving cans, which makes it ideal for adding to noodles or something else.

4. Nutritional Drink – Often overlooked are survival food preps that contain a lot of nutrients. One simple solution is to stockpile a supply of nutritional drinks. These can be drank before or after a workout, or as a meal replacement.

To keep my supply of drinks rotated out, I will drink one about 45 minutes – 1 hour before my workout. I feel that the drinks give my body fuel to run on during the cardio and strength training parts of my workout.

Currently my family stocks 3 different types of drinks – Ensure muscle health, Equate nutritional shake and Jillian Michaels ultimate shake.

Ensure muscle health expiration date – September 2011, which is 1 year and 8 months from when this article was posted.

Equate nutritional shake plus expiration date – December 2011, which is 1 year and 11 months from when this article was posted.

Jillian Michaels ultimate shake expiration date – August 2011, which is 1 year and 7 months from when this article was posted.

All of the listed drinks do not require any kind of special storage, besides being kept at room temperature, they are packaged in single serving containers, and they are jam packed full of nutrients.

For a list of nutrients, lets take the Ensure Muscle Health drink for an example:

Vitamin A 25% • Vitamin C 50% • Calcium 35% • Iron 25% • Vitamin D 40% • Vitamin E 25% • Vitamin K 25% • Thiamin 25% • Riboflavin 25% • Niacin 25% • Vitamin B6 25% • Folate 25% • Vitamin B12 25% • Biotin 25% • Pantothenic Acid 25% • Phosphorus 35% • Iodine 25% • Magnesium 25% • Zinc 25% • Selenium 25% • Copper 25% • Manganese 60% • Chromium 25% • Molybdenum 50% • Chloride 4% • Choline 15%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 Calorie diet.

With a storage life of over 1.5 years, nutritional content, convenient packaging, no special storage requirements,,,, all of this makes nutritional drinks a good option for the survivalist food stockpile.

5. Canned beans or canned fruits -Not only for the fiber, but also for the nutrients and protein of the beans. The important topic is to stockpile what your family eats all the time, so that your survival food stocks are rotated out on a natural basis.

The drawback to eating canned foods is the sodium content. As an example, the 15 ounce can of Ranch Style Beans I’am looking at right now has 700mg of sodium per serving – and there are 3 servings in the can. If someone were to eat the whole can, your talking 2,100mg of sodium for single meal.

On the opposite side of the Ranch Style Beans, an 8.5 ounce can of Del Monte Pear Halves has 10mg of sodium, but the pear halves also have 23g of sugars.

Great Value cut green beans – sodium 390mg per serving, calories per serving 20, potassium 150mg, vitamin A 6%, Folic Acid 4%.

Great Value whole kernal corn – sodium 310mg per serving, calories per serving 60, dietary fiber 3g, sugars 4g, Iron 2%

Great Value pinto beans – sodium 410mg per serving, calories per serving 90, dietary fiber 7g, sugars 1g, Iron 10%, sugars 1g

Conclusion:

So there ya go, a short and simple list of foods that people can stockpile for SHTF, and also eat on an almost daily basis. I just do not recommend eating canned foods everyday due to the high sodium content.

There are lots of other good survivalist food preps options, such as mountain house, or storing rice and beans in mylar bags, but in this article I wanted to focus on food stocks that can be bought from just about any grocery store.

See less See more
1 2
#2 ·
That sounds good and is excellent for a beginning stockpile. I would add some form of canned beef or ham although I find that SPAM is a bit repulsive unless fried. If people want carbos and can get hold of them I would advise crackers from an MRE or (long term) some Yoders' flour. Though it still depends on power for the freezer I wonder how long flour will last if in a plastic bag and frozen?

#94 ·
Spam single packs (the foil ones) are awesome. I keep them at my desk and when I get hungry and need some quick brain food I wolf one down. The brain needs fat and Spam has it. They're great GHB items, too.

#3 ·
Good stuff! This is exactly what I was thinking about over the last week.

We don't exactly have a lot of room to store stuff here, or money for that matter, but I've been picking up bargains and offers on storable things like tinned foods, fish, peanut butter and honey recently. Trying to choose things with higher nutritional values seems the key. A tin of chilli for instance has more than a tin of baked beans but takes up the same storage space.

Another benefit of many of these things is that they can be eaten cold from the tin if needed. I've done that many times, and even on occasion left a tin in the Sun for a few hours to warm up first!

Like you say, rotation is easy since we're eating it frequently anyway.

Having at least some 'normal' food would, I imagine, take the monotony out of eating lentils and beans if the SHTF. By spacing out the normal foods one can also mitigate somewhat the sodium and sat. fat issues.

#7 ·
My body type requires a lot of animal protein. When I asked my health care practitioner (not doctor, they know only what Big Pharma tells them) about tuna, he told me that if tuna was first introduced or discovered now that it would not be allowed to be sold because its so toxic. His name is Dr. McGuckin in Valparaiso,IN. He has a web site. If your stocking tuna you might want to call him to confirm or discuss.

One of the primary canned foods I like is soup. You can get them in great variety. They have a long shelf life. There are ones with chicken, beef, vegetables of all types. There are so many varieties and flavors that you would not burn out on it easily. Tomato soup has lycopene, lentil soup has fiber and protein, vegetable soup has a lot of veggies which you might not have in stock, you get the picture. They also contain water. Thats pretty important too.

#8 ·
I'm with you on the tuna and honey, tbh we stock both. Tuna being one of the few protiens in tins with along shelf life we all eat.

Baked beans not so much we always have some in but not a large amount, I'll take tinned tomatoes over them purely for versatility. Tinned tomatoes or Passata make a good base for meat sauce, stews, soups, chilli,curry and all sorts of other stuff.

Not a fan of peanut butter either, we used to be but not anymore. Although I think nutella is a fair substitute imho.

#10 ·
I love the nutritional shakes, and in addition, I store some of the bars. They don't take up much room and can easily be tossed into a bag without getting squashed or creating much weight. I've been trying different brands to see which one I like (and my kids would eat) and comparing nutritional value. I consider these to be a supplement or used in an "I don't have anything else" situation.

Right now I'm trying:

Pure Protein-High Protein Bar
The box I have expires Oct. 29, 2011
1.76 oz bar
200 calories
Total fat 5g
Cholesterol 10mg
Sodium 170mg
Total carbs 18g
Protein 20g
Also includes numerous vitamin and minerals, averaging about 20% of the daily value of each.

The reason I like these so much is because they are very small. They will fit in your pocket or purse, etc.
Cliff Mini Energy Bars
Exp. Aug. 12, 2011
1 oz bar
100 calories
Total fat 2g
Sodium 60mg
Potassium 105mg
Carbs 18g
Protein 4g
Vitamins and minerals range from 10-20% daily value.

Both seem to taste pretty good. The first one is chocolate chip flavored and the Cliff bars come in a variety of choc. chip, peanut butter, and choc. brownie.

I would love to hear from anyone who has found some really good, healthy bars.

#11 ·
Amen amen amen !!!

While picking up another dozen 29 oz cans of fruit ($1 ea) last week, I spotted a canned meat called Bacon Grill sitting above the Spam on the shelf. It's brand name is America's Pride. It was $1.49 for a 12 oz can and that is about half the price of the same size Spam. I got one to try and it is pretty tolerable. I believe I could eat it cold on a sandwich if I had to but I ate it twice diced in with scrambled eggs and the rest I diced into a quick baked bean (canned) rice and tomato sauce soup that fed me 3 meals. Not bad for the price. Besides the preservatives and so forth ingredients, it says chicken, ham and bacon. I'm going to get many more next trip.

#16 ·
Spam is 100% pork with no added stuff. And it lasts FOREVER apparently.

From their website - "The processing techniques utilized by Hormel Foods makes the canned product safe for use indefinitely if the product seal remains intact, unbroken and securely attached to a can that has been well maintained. It is suggested that all canned products be stored in a cool and dry environment to keep the flavor adequately preserved. For maximum flavor it is recommended that the product be used within three years of the manufacturing date. After that period of time, the product is still safe to use however, the flavor gradually declines."

#12 ·
Good list Kev, but where's the beer and briskets? I thought you were a Texan! :D:

Seriously though, I'm pretty much a newbie to prepping and I'm broke as hell at the moment, so I need preps that I can afford and eat on a regular basis. This list is 3/5 of my favorite foods anyways: tuna, peanut butter and honey (I ate PB & honey toast for breakfast almost every day for a year and I still love it) so I don't figure rotating will be a problem. Good list, thanks.

#13 ·
Hmm... PB and honey on toast - not tried that, yet...

Just got back from the fortnightly shop with a few extras for storage:

24 cans of baked beans in tomato sauce (on offer 1/2 price)
20 bars assorted dark chocolate
2 large jars morello cherries in syrup
30 litres bottled water
6 jars crunchy peanut butter (1/2 price, all they had left)
...and a partridge in a pear tree!

#17 ·
Good list. I'm down on the "nutrition" drinks. It was recommended that I give her these as she's weaning and not gaining weight very well. So I checked the labels on all of them and they're pretty much the same ..."Water, Corn Maltodextrin, Sugar (Sucrose), ...." Besides being primarily water and sugar, they are not that cheap. Over $1 each. For about the same price, I stock a protein powder.

kev, you should drink one of those shakes immediately after your workout. Fuel your body scrambling to repair muscles.

#18 ·
honey really is the end all prep item...

from the web:thumb:

1. Skin Moisturizer - Honey, when mixed with eggs and some flour, is an effective skin moisturizer. Best of all, it is gently formulated, so it can be used by people with sensitive skin. Mix four tablespoons of honey with a couple of egg whites and a few tablespoons of flour, depending on your desired consistency. Stir the mixture until it thickens. When the mixture is ready, you can use it as a hand and body lotion or a moisturizing face mask, eliminating the effects of dry skin.
2. Antiseptic - Hydrogen peroxide is a chemical used for cleaning wounds and helping them heal quickly. skin moisturizerHoney happens to contain a good amount of the chemical. It only needs to be released by diluting the substance in water or body fluids. When applied on an open wound, the glucose, contained by honey, is diluted and gradually releases hydrogen peroxide. The substance facilitates your wound’s faster healing. Due to its viscous consistency, it also prevents wounds from sticking to the dressing and the appearance of scars.
3. Acne Remover - Honey might be a gentle skin moisturizer but it is certainly tough on acne. With constant exposure to the bee fluid, pimples eventually wither and fade. Apply a small amount of honey on the pimply regions of your face. Cover them with adhesive bandages. Soon, your zit attack will be nothing more than a distant memory.
4. Energy Booster - Why buy palpitation-inducing energy drinks when you already have honey? Mix honey with some water then drink the solution. Honey’s glucose content will be absorbed by the brain and in the bloodstream, reducing fatigue in the process. You’ll be healthy and quite happy just by consuming the simple solution.
5. Immune System Booster - Health buffs are known to drink a teaspoon of honey daily, along with their morning vitamins. Though still not scientifically proven, the daily consumption of honey is said to strengthen your immune system. You can give it a shot, you’ve got nothing to lose anyway.
6. Enhances Vitamin A - Vitamin A is the nutrient that fosters better eyesight, especially when consumed in significant quantities. If you mix items that are rich in Vitamin A with honey, the effects are slightly increased.
7. Improves Blood Flow - Honey, being rich in glucose, is known to improve the blood flow through the fortification of blood’s formation. Glucose provides energy in the bloodstream, which is distributed throughout the body. As a result, the blood produced has the proper consistency, flowing smoothly through the blood vessels. Glucose is believed to prevent capillary damage due to its ability to improve your blood flow.
8. Treatment for Sore Throat - Some people believe that honey is an even better treatment for coughs and colds than over-the-counter medicine. To create the sore throat-relieving serum, squeeze the juice from a lemon and mix it with some honey. Stir the mixture until both ingredients blend. Drink the solution. After a few moments, you will realize that your sore throat has been cured, or at least reduced. Just continue to make more rounds until you are finally free from colds.
9. Colon Damage Prevention - Colitis, a disease that damages the colon, induces much discomfort for the afflicted. You can minimize the effects of the disease if you drink some honey daily. The antioxidants found in honey is said to strengthen and improve the resistance of the colon. In addition, it is used in folk medicine as a means for curing colon-related conditions.
10. Parasite Remover - Honey, when mixed with vinegar and water, can remove worms and other parasites in your body. The combination of vinegar’s acidity and honey’s therapeutic components is more than enough to kill or expel bodily intruders. When you suspect that you have worms in your body, drink ample amounts of the solution regularly. The parasites might build a resistance if you don’t manage to get rid of them all as soon as possible.
11. Remedy for Burns - A burn is not only painful, the marks also last for a good number of days before healing up. By applying honey on your burn, the hydrogen peroxide released cleans the wound and soothes the inflammation. As a result, the burn marks will heal in a few days with less pain. Use honey as a dressing for maximum results.
12. Antibacterial Solution - Bacteria and germs won’t survive when covered in honey, given its acidic pH balance and viscous base. The microorganisms will be trapped in the sticky acidic base, which is too abrasive for their exteriors, killing them off eventually. Apply honey on a wound, scratches or an inflamed region, in conjunction with an antiseptic. You’ll be astounded at how fast your injury heals after.
13. Relaxant for Anxiety and Nervousness - Anxiety and nervousness are the enemies of a healthy mind. Once both conditions swarm your thoughts, your actions are tantamount to produce negative results. Free yourself from any of the two states of mind by eating porridge mixed with honey. Honey’s nutrients produce a calming effect, especially when taken in significant amounts. No wonder some consider it a part of the breakfast of champions. Honey can also be mixed with a suitable beverage for a good night’s sleep.
14. Cancer and Heart Disease Prevention - Heart disease and cancer are diseases that have claimed the lives of millions of people. Both conditions have a multitude of causes, some of which are hard to identify. You must have some sort of protection from these diseases and that protection comes in the form of honey. Honey’s antioxidants prevent the formation of cancer cells and preserve the quality of the produced blood, preventing heart disease in the process. Though, engaging in acts that promote cancer, such as smoking and excessive drinking, will still trigger the diseases, so be watchful.
15. Diabetic Ulcer Remedy - Curing ulcer entirely is largely done by modern medical techniques. Though, you can speed up the healing process if you use honey as a topical solution. It’s ability to heal wounds will certainly come in handy when other ointments are not advised to use.

#22 ·
The problems I face with survival food preps are gluten and cost. Cost always takes the front seat to gluten, though.

The natural peanut butters are just too expensive to stock and eat in quantity for a family of 5. For us, anyway. We have to rely on the regular types. The way I look at it as, if I'm trying to keep from starving to death, the last thing on my mind is going to be hydrogenated oils and coronary artery disease.

Sadly, the same thing crops up with the Ensure. I drink this, anyway, to keep weight on now that I'm a celiac and have a different diet. But, I could never afford to stock these in quantity unless they were having a lot sale, or something on them. Even the Equate brand is still $6 a 6-pack. I really wish there was a way to make those from scratch.

#28 ·
The problems I face with survival food preps are gluten and cost. Cost always takes the front seat to gluten, though.
My married daughter is in the same boat. Celiac does limit your possibilities. I believe she is <100lbs, 95ish as I remember.

Looking at most of my preps, she can't eat it. She lives on the left coast and I on the right. So if SHTF we probably won't see her again for a long time.

#23 ·
I think it goes without saying that to this excellent list you should add rice and beans and the usual grains. These are relatively cheap and will add bulk, but if you needed to survive on them you would be thankful for the bulk.

In addition to peanut butter, I would suggest adding nuts of all kinds.

I would also add canned meats such as chicken and ham.

And don't forget sugar, salt, pepper and spices.

#24 ·
So far I had prepped enough to last for 3-4 months. I get only the stuff we eat now with the exception of some canned meats, Spam, DAK canned ham, etc. And I am running out of space. I don't want to store it in an uncontrolled environment like the garage. So, where do you store this volume of supplies?

#33 ·
I would guess it depends on what type of house you have and how much you're storing. As well as how you're storing it.

At my mom's house she has a very small kitchen. But she also has a full size basement and a garage. Her basement would be ideal if she had a pump but she doesn't see a need for one (the entire town including her house flooding last year isn't likely to happen again right? lol) So that would leave her attic (which is sweltering in the summer and freezing in the winter) or her garage (where my brother works with sawdust and metal bits flying everywhere). My choice would be sufficient shelving and a pump added to the basement.

My brother's house has a wonderful basement and a large kitchen. He doesn't need either as it's only him. He can easily fit a year supply in his kitchen cabinets.

Another brother has a trailor with 2 kids. In his case I'd say store it in your brother's unused basement that's 3 steps from your front door. Or stash it under beds, end tables, in sealed barrels under the trailor (tacked down of course)....

For us..... we have a large family. I'm stocking 2 years of supplies for 15 people at our house in the pantry, kitchen, coat closet, laundry room, chicken coop, garage.... with additional at our bol and other locations. The most sensitive and the short term stores (under 3 months) I keep inside the house. A shelf of jars in my kitchen decoratively display approximately 6 months worth of dehydrated fruits and vegetables and herbs/spices. Some of them are sensitive to light so those ones go in a cabinet or get a piece of paper inside the jar so the light doesn't damage the goods. I rotate and use them regularly so not concerned. Larger quantity dry stuff I have 5 gallon buckets and/or sealing trashbins approx. the same size in a shelf I built for them. 1 bucket easily holds 3 months worth of rice/flour/sugar/cornmeal/oats whatever for an average size family. There is no need to do anything additional to store it for 3 months.

A lot of people store many many cans of stuff... I keep some but not much considering how many people are in the house. I choose to store dehydrated stuff because it takes less space BUT I have several ready water sources available. If you don't have that then storing cans is very much worth the space. For those.... boxes under the bed, in the bottom of closets beneath the shoes... be creative!

#25 ·
I like this thread because these are MY kind of preps. I need food that can be eaten without using my precious store of water.

I need to save my water for drinking and limited hygiene. (Yes, hygiene will be limited in a SHTF because I won't have any way to replace the water as I use it up.)

I envy you guys that store dried beans, rice and pasta. If a disaster lasts more than a few months I'm going to get heartily sick of canned foods and being smelly but some things just have to be borne. Thank goodness I live alone and will be offensive only to myself.:eek::

#31 ·
Gotta love peanut butter! Got six jars in the lazy susan-have to remind hubby to check dates.
Honey-yup got three bottles, have more to get.
Getting spices like bay leaves and oregeno in the small plastic pouches-get from vac sealing and throwing in a tub prior to sealing.

So-tell me-how long will real nuts(get your minds out of the gutter)like peanuts and cashews store?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.