Survivalist Forum banner
33K views 60 replies 34 participants last post by  Kay 
#1 ·
Ok so as we all know Mountain House is backordered who knows how long, and u cant even place an order on most websites for there products. There is somewhere where i live that has #10 cans in stock, but that is dwindling down to nothing.
So due to that fact i've been doin a lot of research on some of the other well known companies that sell freeze dried/dehydrated foods in #10 cans due to Mnt house being backordered too long.

So please correct me if im wrong but besides mountain house the other 3 major ones i've seen/read/visited have been...
1)Thrive (shelfreliance.com)

2)AugasonFarms (augasonfarms.com)

3)Honeyville (Honeyvillegrain.com)

If there are any more please LMK...

Im just wondering if anyone has tried any of them, all of them or trying to get any insight on the quality of the products each of them sell...
I know honeyville is i believe only $4.50 to ship an order i read somewhere. But the other websites offer cheap shiping rates as well.
Im looking for mainly FD meats, entrees things of that such. So if anyone can LMK of there personal experience with these places i would REALLY appreciate it!

Thx in advance!

Jason

OH and one more thing... most of the products such as the Meats in #10 cans say that after opened they only have a 30day storage time IF REFRIGRATED! If not its only ONE WEEK! I see that as a big problem if there is no electricity. Do u guys see any other way around this??

BUT i have noticed that the thrive FD meats actually have a ONE YEAR shelf life AFTER being opened. Which i cant understand how they could have such a longer shelf life compared to The augasonfarms and the honeyville.
You'd think that FD ground beef is the same through each company?

See less See more
#52 ·
honeyville

I purchased about 3 years ago a few years supply of honeyville.:xeye: Now I am out of work 2 years I decided to eat some of the freeze dried eggs .Oh my are they awful .Absolutely awful taste .4 hours later still can taste the awful .I also purchased MRE I love those MRE ... Shelf life is only 5 or so years that the draw back .

#53 ·
I ordered from Augason Farms for the first time about a week ago. Actually, I ordered it through Walmart, something I've never done before because I hate Walmart so much.

Because my total order was over $50, I paid no shipping at all and I was able to pay with paypal. I ordered only bananas and morning moos to start with and I have been pleased with both. The bananas have been disappearing really quickly.

I placed another order this morning for more bananas and moos to store and decided to order the beef tvp, spinach flakes, whole eggs and chili mix as well. Again, it was over $50 so I paid no shipping. If these don't disappoint me, I think I'll try the orange chicken and strawberries next time even though the strawberries had mixed reviews. I prefer to stay away from mixes, but some of theirs sound good.

ETA: Just saw the dates of this thread but it's good info anyway.

#54 ·
I have purchased from all three and am very satisfied with all three. I tend to buy things like bulk oats, flour, etc. from Honeyville because of their shipping rates. Augason is the only one who sells the Morning Moos, so I buy that there.

Thrive has some good deals if you can hook up with a reseller who can share them with you beyond what is posted on their website. There is one (at least) on this board who is great to work with.

Reactions: MTShawn
#55 ·
You may want to check out these guys too. www.harmonyhousefoods.com I haven't tried the TVP stuff yet, but I ordered the deluxe sampler to check out more varieties before stockpiling and the veggies have all been good so far. Shipping was insane fast too. Of course they are only a state away from me, but I ordered on Monday and it arrived on Tuesday. Blew my mind when my fiance told me I had a package there that quickly.

#56 · (Edited)
I haven't tried any of the freeze dried food from Honeyville, but I have tried their milk substitute, and in my opinion it is very good, especially the chocolate. I stocked up on Morning Moos (Augason Farms) because it tastes even better than the Honeyville stuff. A local store had it on sale a couple years ago for $9.99 a can, so I bought several cases.

I have tried the A F Chicken Alfredo and it was pretty good. The cook adjusted the preparation method a bit, but it turned out quite tasty.

A friend of ours sells Thrive, and we went to a Thrive party they held, and I must say that the stuff was pretty good. There were a couple of entrees I didn't care for much, but I would still eat it if I had to.

Check Costco online from time to time, as I have gotten some pretty good deals on Augason Farms stuff there, as well as Walmart. But you need to shop around for the best deals.

Attachments

#58 ·
Morning moos is pretty good, I put it in my coffee at the office. I'm glad to see emergency essentials. Com takes part in conversations like this. They also respond to negative reviews on their website and try to make it up to the unhappy customer. With the volume of product they ship, I'm sure it's a big job being that proactive.

#59 ·
I've tried several Augason products in their smaller cans that are available from their website. Most of the products were good. I've also tried some of the Saratoga Farms, from The Ready Store, in their smaller cans and those were good too. I like trying the smaller cans before buying the big #10 cans. I don't want to have to eat something I don't like. I did some reviews here.

I went to a big gunshow in Texas and tried some of the Thrive products, and they were all pretty good. Another booth had Wise products, I tried them, but wasn't too impressed. I've also ordered online from LDS, and the prices are good and they ship fairly fast, and they don't charge your credit card until they ship. Augason takes what seems like forever to ship, and they sometimes have good sales, but they recently raised their shipping charges, so I mostly buy their stuff from Wallyworld. WM had rollback prices until the end of the year, but their regular prices are usually cheaper than buying directly from Augason.

#61 ·
I have an update on my experience with Augason Farms products.

I tried the Augason Farms whole eggs for scrambled eggs and didn't like the taste at all. Next, I made eggs florentine with them and the AF dehydrated spinach but that wasn't any better. I haven't tried the spinach in any other way as yet and I'll save those "eggs" for cooking only.

I tried the chili mix and it's not chili at all. Not even close. It's an edible but boring pinto bean dish and was disappointing. I had to doctor it up to make it palatable and I won't buy that again.

I used the beef tvp in spaghetti with good homemade sauce. The taste bordered on nastiness. The texture was awful and nothing at all like ground beef. I offered some to my cats and they wouldn't eat it--lol. However, I can see that it could be useful in stretching out the ground beef in a meatloaf. I make spicy, tomatoy, cheesy, Italian-style meatloaf anyway so I'm sure it will be ok for that.

I'm still going to try the orange chicken and strawberries and I'm looking forward to the chocolate moos.

ETA: I received the shipment of AF bought from Walmart in only three days in perfect condition. I, too, noticed that it's cheaper to buy through Walmart than from the AF site. The shipment didn't come from the local Walmart since they don't carry AF.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.