Survivalist Forum banner
22K views 71 replies 44 participants last post by  panoz77 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anybody was putting canned meats(spam/ham) in their long term storage buckets

I like to put a variety of things in the same bucket and a meat to add to the rice/pasta/beans in mylar bags would be great

Other ideas for additional items to add would be appreciated

BTW how long does say country ham last in a store bought vacuum pack since this is usually not even kept cool in the store???

summer sausage?

Thanks!!!!!

#37 ·
We tried something years ago with the scouts, it worked great for short term but we weren't concerned with long term storage...only interested in making things lighter for backpacking.

I took a pound of lean ground beef...like 95/5, then cooked it, breaking it up into the smallest chunks that the beef would break down into. Then I spread it on a paper towel to absorb all the grease. I then spread it all on a cookie sheet and put it into an oven set at 125 degrees for several hours. It dried it out completely with no greasy feeling.
Stored it in ziplock bags and used it on backpacking trips. Added it to dried mac & cheese (added it to the boiling macaroni in the last couple of minutes cooking). It reconstituted really well and added protein to the mac & cheese.

I don't know if it would work for long term storage but with O2 absorbers and sealing in mylar it might. Anyone else try something like that?

#40 ·
Interesting...a good way to store ground beef temporarily, such as if one had to eat up frozen ground beef before they lost electricity and wanted to store it for a week or two before eaten.

BTW, when we have ground beef in things like casseroles and such, we drain the grease first, then put it in a colander and rinse it with hot water to remove the remaining grease. While probably technically not "fat free," it's got to be pretty darned close.

#39 ·
As many others have suggested, buy a pressure canner and learn how to can your own meat! I bought a Presto pressure canner inexpensively and taught myself how to can many things. Chicken is our favorite and we go thru LOTS of it! I pick meat up on sale and spend the weekend canning. I also can beef, pork, beef/pork combo, ground beef, potatoes, veggies, etc. I haven't attempted mixed ingredients ~ that's on my *to do* list! Pressure canned food will last for YEARS and is a delicious, healthy alternative. Although, as someone else mentioned, quart jars would be heavy to cart around. It's definitely a bug in OR store at your bug out location item. The canner comes with very specific directions... don't worry, it's SAFE! Good luck, my friend! :thumb:

#41 ·
Yes, I have canned meats:

1. The Yoders hamburger 75 cans (10 year shelf life 28oz cans)
2. Hams (maybe 35-40 assorted manufactures)
3. Spam (lite and spam bacon) 100-120 cans
4. Salmon (with dates of 2015-2016) 65-75 cans
5. Chicken chunks (Sam Clubs 13 oz cans) 150-160 cans (heavily rotated item)
6. Chicken breast (50 oz cans) 70 cans
7. Ma Collis fully cooked beef (50 oz cans) 100 cans (excellent product) 2012-2013 dates
8. Vienna saugsages (10 cases)
9. Yoders canned bacon (60 cans)
10. Whole Chichen (Sams club) 50 oz cans 20-30 count

#42 ·
Yes, I have canned meats:

1. The Yoders hamburger 75 cans (10 year shelf like 28oz cans)
2. Hams (maybe 35-40 assorted manufactures)
3. Spam (lite and spam bacon) 100-120 cans
4. Salmon (with dates of 2015-2016) 65-75 cans
5. Chicken chunks (Sam Clubs 13 oz cans) 150-160 cans (heavily rotated item)
6. Chicken breast (50 oz cans) 70 cans
7. Ma Collis fully cooked beef (50 oz cans) 100 cans (excellent product) 2012-2013 dates
8. Vienna saugsages (10 cases)
9. Yoders canned bacon (60 cans)
10. Whole Chichen (Sams club) 50 oz cans 20-30 count
Wow! That's impressive. I have about 180 cans of various sorts including hams, Spam, canned chicken, tuna, salmon, corned beef.

However, I've drawn the line at Vienna Sausages. :)

#55 ·
I have a muti-pronged approach to meat for storage:

Commercially canned meats (chicken, beef, ham, spam, turkey, etc) (I do NOT put them in a bucket though...it's all "in rotation"...store what you eat, eat what you store)
Home canned meats (rabbit, venison, etc)
Meats in the freezer (in an emergency, these would get cooked/eaten first)
Meat "on the hoof"--Meat rabbits that I raise myself, so that I have a continual supply, and although I currently keep my "herd" fairly small, it is easy to expand that fairly quickly--gestation period is 28-33 days, depending on the breed, with litter sizes generally 5 or more (my senior doe had 7 the first time around, and they all survived) and they are fertile and ready to breed at 6-8 months (again, depending on breed). High protein, low cholesterol, low fat (so low, in fact, that you will actually need supplemental fat!), quiet, and will produce meat, warm pelts, and LOTS of fertilizer for your garden!

#62 ·
Manco Beef at Sam's Club

We have seveal of the large cans of Manco Beef that you can often find at Sam's Clubs.

These cans hold 6 pounds of large chunks of beef. Think stew meat, but chunks averaging 4 to 6 inches in size.

The beef is from Brazil, so take it for what its worth, but we have enjoyed the Manco Beef for years.

We often use it for shredded beef tacos, burritos, stews, chili and even just as a beef roast with veggies in the crock pot.

The large cans give you the chance to use as much as you need for a large gathering and still have some left over. We pressure can the left-overs.

The cans are blue and the size of a #10 can, only shorter.

Having 3 or 4 of these in our preps at all times is a good thing. I hope this helps.

Medic73

#63 ·
The majority of my food preps consist of canned fruits beans vegetables and dry goods as rice sugar salt and flour. I have never canned in my life but reading the various post on the subject has peeked my interest in canning meats. I understand that meats need the pressure canning method. The question I have is the pressure canner the same thing as a pressure cooker or is this a seperate type cooking tool for canning only.

#68 ·
Yeah, I also stock a bunch of the Sams canned chicken and the Starkist Albacore tuna. Did you ever do the math on the canned chicken? The smaller cans are actually cheaper per ounce than the large can. Lima isn't in NE Ohio, LOL. I emailed them to see if they have any distribution in NE Ohio, we will see, thanks for the update.

#70 ·
Thanks for the heads up on Keystone! Turns out most Ohio Walmarts carry their canned beef and chicken. I just bought 2 cases of the 28 oz canned beef tonight (PRODUCT OF THE USA PROUDLY DISPLAYED ON THEIR CAN!). This stuff is really good and the price can't be beat. At $6.28 per 28 oz, it is only $3.59 per pound for lean fully cooked beef. Ohioman, do you know the storage life on these, there is no best by or expiration on the cans. I assume their best by is probably 2-3 years and shelf life probably much longer.

Here was the email they sent, very quick response she replied the following day!

Hello James,

Thank you for purchasing our Keystone Heat and Serve Meats. If you purchased the meat at Sam's Club, you purchased our MaCollis brand. The only location close to the Warren, Youngstown area is Sam's Club in Mansfield on Lexington-Springmill Rd. However, The Keystone label can be purchased in Wal-Mart stores in your area.

Area Wal-Mart stores:

Cortland - Millennium Blvd.
Youngstown - Goldie Rd.
Salem - E. State St.
Alliance - W. State St.
Austintown - Mahoning Ave.
East Liverpool - Dresden Ave.
Hermitage, PA. - No. Hermitage Rd.

Thank you,
Joanie Tharp
Keystone Meats
419-225-9600 #105

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.