Survivalist Forum banner
5K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  fwshooter 
#1 ·
Hello all. I am new to this forum, however I have been into Self-Reliance/Survivalists for about 3 years now. I have questions about storing food and thought that maybe you all can help.

I have a number of #10 cans I purchased online of a variety of foods. I have opened a few to test them out and use some of them regularly. One, for instance, is chopped onions. There are a lot of servings in a can and the can reads that once it is opened, it will last approx. 1 year. I am wondering if I can break this can into portions with mylar bags and 02 and if it will keep if I put it in food grade buckets? Also, what is the best way to store pasta/spaghetti? I currently have mine in thick plastic containers I purchased at a dollar store.

Also, where does everyone store their supply? enclosed pantry? Shelving unit? I recently moved, and I have a one car garage which is actually under the house so it is also a part of the basement. I have a decent size area that can be used for storage and I would like to add walls to actually make it a storage room only. Curious though, how everyone regulates the temperatures for their supply.

Any info/feedback/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
It depends on your area. If you live in the middle of the dry desert, freeze dried food will probably stay good opened until you rehydrate it. If you live in a jungle or one of the southern states with high-humidity... freeze-dried food will rapidly get soggy. It will loose its crunch like an opened gram cracker...

Once opened, you should probably eat the food right away. Probably winthin a week or so. I wouldn't try to re-pack it in mylar, either though I am not saying this can't be done.

#3 ·
I live in the North East, Bordering PA, NY and NJ.

The #10 Cans are dehydrated and there is no way I could eat it in a week. It states once opened, it must be used within a years time. Powdered Milk, Powdered Eggs, Dehydrated chopped onions, etc. Even if I use this stuff in cooking on a daily basis, I honestly wouldn't be able to use it within the next year.

What type of foods does everyone use the Mylar bags for?

#9 ·
I use those dehydrated foods regularly. They last just fine for me after opening. But this is also a dry area. Freeze dried doesn't last as well after opening as most of the dehydrated foods. But some of the dehydrated foods are exceptions. The powders will clump and get a bit stale in time. Tomato powder, peanut butter powder, and buillion seems to be especially bad at it.

I use mylar and O2 absorbers for dried foods. Beans, grains, pasta, dried veggies, spices, etc. You can repack your dehydrated foods into them if you need to. A lot of the suppliers sell it packaged that way, though in larger bags. The easiest way would be to just vacuum seal it, in bags or jars. Vacuum sealing is not a good long term solution, but for a year or two, it's ideal, quick and easy.

#5 · (Edited)
Space isn't an issue for me, I'm not sure I understand where your coming from, but thanks for the "warm" welcome to the board. I opened the can about a month ago. I don't know if you have a can of chopped onions, but it certainly is a lot. Besides, I would love to be able to help people out in need if the time comes. Maybe you should have read my entire post before jumping on me. Have a great day!

#7 ·
Space isn't an issue for me
Then store them in mylar.

I'm not sure I understand where your coming from, but thanks for the "warm" welcome to the board.
Someone is a little over sensitive.

I opened the can about a month ago. I don't know if you have a can of chopped onions, but it certainly is a lot.
I don't have a can of them but I have used dehydrated onion in recipes before. I guess it all depends on your menu (what kinds of meals you make).

Besides, I would love to be able to help people out in need if the time comes.
I cut up my mylar bags into smaller ones (packet size) and stored spices in them. A similar idea could be used if you are making packs for others.

Maybe you should have read my entire post before jumping on me. Have a great day!
You need to get out of the house more and grow by being less emotionally delicate. My post was hardly "jumping" on you.

#8 ·
Someone is a little over sensitive.

You need to get out of the house more and grow by being less emotionally delicate. My post was hardly "jumping" on you.[/QUOTE]

You really aren't worth my words. I'm here to learn, not be insulted. I would appreciate it if you wouldn't answer anymore of my questions. Have a great day!

#11 ·
You really aren't worth my words. I'm here to learn, not be insulted. I would appreciate it if you wouldn't answer anymore of my questions. Have a great day!
Not a good way to enter these boards. A SHTF situation will eat you alive if you can't take a little criticism.

#10 ·
As far as storage goes, I bought shelving from a store that was going out of business. It is strong enough to hold a lot of weight. I dismantled it the last day they were open & put it up in my basement. It goes from floor to ceiling & has worked out well. If you need shelving maybe this is one idea for you.
Welcome to the forum from the Rocky Mtns.

#12 ·
Having thick skin is a good thing on these boards and any board since discussions can esculate quickly sometimes. Im pretty sure that most people would be more respectful if talking in person.

I dont understand why anyone would purposefully provoke an argument, but thats just me.

There is a way that you can change your settings to ignore a person so that you dont see their posts; might me worth looking into.

#13 ·
I store the canned meat and canned beans in a cupboard set aside for protien.
I store the boxed goods and spices in the china cabinette.
I store rice, flour, noodles, and butter in the freezer.
And I tuck the odd bits like crackers and spagetti sauce wherever they fit.

As for dried minced onions, I kept a gallon container in the cupboard with a lid on it, and it lasted WAAY longer than a year! My family did not reach the bottom of the jar for at least 3 years, maybe more.

I do not use mylar and O2 absorbers at all because I use my preps as a pantry: the new stuff goes in the back and all food is consumed within a year or less.

#18 ·
OP- your food storage area sounds great for packaged items.

Humidity in basements is usually a bit high, so once opened, I'd ziplock what you'll use in the short term, put a lid on the #10 with a dessicant pack- and use it within the year. Dehydrated veggies have a shorter shelf life sealed in cans than freeze dried, no big deal if you rotate or just plan on re-investing those items every 10 yrs... Dessicant packs can be re-used by baking them to drive off the moisture. Its basicly rust dust in a paper bag.

I have a family that eats their veggies, 5 gal buckets... Same problem. Hopefully it lasts enough time to get re-supplied by the garden.

#19 ·
Another idea is to break the cans up and put dried veggies into canning jars, and vacuum seal them. This is great for having some available for shorter term or occasional use. Then, after I take out what I need, I reseal the jar.

I dehydrate some of my own veggies and fruit, and with the onions I can tell you they will last just fine. Just try to keep things in a cool, dark place.

I broke up some #10 cans into smaller packets by placing foods into mylar bags, then adding an 02 absorber. Then, those end up in pails.

It can be a challenge to figure out what all works for you. You may end up like me and use a bunch of different solutions, lol. :D:

All the best to you! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.