Survivalist Forum banner
5K views 32 replies 28 participants last post by  LeftCoast Grower 
#1 ·
Because of the horrible dought this year and Hurricane Irene, those areas that grow our pumpkins each year have had whole fields that are not able to be harvested or the pumpkins are ruined.

Because of this, if you like Pumpkin Pies (and really... who doesn't?) you may want to start stocking up on canned pumpkin right now. We still have several cans that we bought last year, but I bought 4 more large cans this year and the prices sure seem higher to me.

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up so you can get what you need for this year right now, before the pumpkin rush really starts in October and November.

We'll be enjoying some nice pumpkin pie anytime we want it bcause this is one item we always stock up on.

Medic73

#2 ·
I don't know much specifically about the current pumpkin shortage you speak of, I can't comment.

I can say, I work in a pie factory that makes a LOT of pumpkin pies, literally millions at 125 a minute. There has actually been a canned pumpkin shortage for the last 4 years. Enough so that now, only the top tier pies are made with canned USA pumpkin, all others are now made with South American dried pumpkin flake, or no pumpkin at all, just squash.

On the same note, my brother stocks groceries in a pretty large grocery store chain. Meijer. He's joked quite a few times in the last few years that I've had more pumpkin on the shelf than Meijer did, and I only keep a dozen cans or so.

ETA:I don't like pumpkin pie, but after you've made a few million, you wouldn't either.

#5 ·
Mine got really large, too, but it has set about four fruit. They're kind of small, though.

I suppose as a matter of general information I should note the enormous pumpkins that the stores sell in October to make jack o' lanterns aren't really eating pumpkins. You CAN, of course, but they're more along the lines of gourds, developed to be very large and hard fleshed. What your really want are Sugar Pie pumpkins: THOSE are what you eat.

#4 ·
A#1 is right. There have been shortages for the last several years. Luckily, people don't buy a lot of it though, so it's not hard to find canned pumpkin. It's the fresh ones around Halloween that always takes the price hit.

Pumpkin is highly nutritious. It's a shame people don't eat it more often other than as pie. Same with sweet potatoes. They're pretty interchangeable in recipes.

#9 ·
They'll probably put some out at thanksgiving and I'll grab up as many as I can then since that is the only time it's been stocked this past few years around here.

I use it for the dogs, who are older, to keep their works going strong, if you know what I mean. Also great for when they get the trots or constipated. Stuff is a miracle.

My pumpkins vines put out one sugar pie pumpkin this year, but it set really early and was ready by the beginning of August. Not sure it will make it for the pies this Thanksgiving.

#11 ·
Not here (Transylvania.) Our pumpkins did just fine, but then we have been incredibly fortunate for weather this summer. Only in the last couple weeks has it gone too dry. We just started harvesting our l/3 acre pumpkin patch - slowly slowly feeding them to the cows. Cows actually fight over chunks of pumpkin. At this time of year, we feed the cows with a balance of pumpkins, sunflower heads (after most of the seeds have been knocked out), hay (mixed grasses), the leaves and stalks of corn. That's a pretty standard diet for cows here. For those who are interested, our girls are giving about 20 liters a day, certainly no concentrates here.

#22 ·
I stock as much pumpkin (in cans) as I can get but for the past few years the store shelves where pure pumpkin should be have been empty except for short periods in the fall. :( And, of course, the price has risen drastically when it is available. Pumpkin pie 'mix' cans are usually available but the use of already spiced pumpkin is limited so I don't buy that.

Having pumpkin in cans is essential imho to long term survival. It helps to regulate animal digestion issues (I feed my dog pumpkin if he has either constipation or diarrhea - works both ways!) and I am sure it would do the same for humans as well. It is highly nutritious and delicious - can be used in both savoury and sweet dishes. In minutes I can make an easy and satisfying soup. It is definitely one of the best and most crucial vegetables (actually it is a fruit but most think of it as a vegetable) to store.

I grew some pumpkin plants this year and they started out fine - with great vines - but within weeks something turned all their vines to mush and they died. :( But, had they yielded a lot of pumpkins I would have had a problem anyway - since, as noted by someone above, pumpkin does not do well as home canned.

I will buy a pumpkin this fall however and try dehydrating it (though I don't expect it will keep well for long term storage). I would love to find #10 cans of freeze dried/dehydrated (would prefer chunks but even powdered will do) pumpkin to keep on hand. Powdered pumpkin can be used in cooking/baking and can replace some of the flour apparently. However, so far I have found commercial suppliers for large amounts only and small amounts of powder available on specialty sites.

#31 ·
Just thought I would put this link in for how to can pumpkin. You don't can puree. Only the chunks.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_04/pumpkin_winter_squash.html

Works great so for those whose pumpkins produced this year, go for it!

That said, Harris Teeter around here is having a sale with pie pumkins 2 for $3 this week. I'm going to go load up since those won't be anywhere to be found soon enough. My canner will be going and going for a while. :)

#33 ·
Just finished turning over the sugar pie pumpkin harvest for the year...was a very good season.
Pink banana jumbo, butternut, and lakota also did quite well.

My problem plant this year was honeydew.
It started out very slow and developed a less than expected crop.

*** A fifty fifty mix of butternut and P.B.J. makes the best tasting pie ever.

Also - Lakota cut into small chunks then steamed with a bit of butter and brown sugar is like Heaven.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.