Survivalist Forum banner

Important preps leading up to November 2020?

47K views 260 replies 100 participants last post by  16isalittleman 
#1 ·
Brain storming session, what would you consider important preps between now and leading up to the November 2020 elections? For the sake of discussion, let's throw a resurgence of covid-19 into the mix.

I plan on hitting the public hunting lands this fall, maybe doing some camping / hunting trips. The camp sites are on the Angelina River near Jasper, Texas. Because of this I am adding some Mountain House freeze dried meals to my collection. Couple of days ago I went through my freeze dried pouches and could use some more breakfast.

Guns and Ammo? I currently have a Ruger P89 on layaway at a local gun store, and that is about it. I am fine with everything else. Ammo and firearms have already been cleared out from the stores, not a big concern though.

Maybe stockpile some 13-13-13 fertilizer while prices are low for next spring.

Fall garden will get planted in a couple of months. Probably going with:

Turnip / mustard Greens
Spinach
Rutabagas
Some winter squash, such as acorn squash

In a few weeks I may need to butcher some of the chickens added to the flock this year. If anything, maybe some canning jars for homemade chicken soup? The chickens were straight run so there are some roosters mixed in.

I honestly can not think think of anything I need to push to the front of the list. Maybe a few more canned goods, but nothing special.

See less See more
#249 ·
The fire is contained on our side so I can put stuff up and return to the virus, riots and election. the new fly in the ointment is the replacement of Ginsburg. I liked her for her courage but disliked most of her decisions. Hopefully she will be replaced soon. That will make things a bit more rugged this fall when Trump is re-elected. To prepare, I'm going to stash some cash for the market. I see a major decline and near crash if biden wins. I'm a bottom feeder so will take advantage of it. I'm going to build a root cellar to store stuff. I'll pick up animal supplies so I can lock the gate. My Freezer needs defrosting so I can rotate food. I think I will sit down with the wife and learn from our 6-8 week lock down from the virus and see what we needed, what we could do better with and do some shopping and better prepare.

#250 ·
The fire is contained on our side so I can put stuff up and return to the virus, riots and election... I think I will sit down with the wife and learn from our 6-8 week lock down from the virus and see what we needed, what we could do better with and do some shopping and better prepare.

The coronavirus is an ongoing thing but a good exercise in how quickly things can transpire and that the ballyhooed three-day preps won't cut it. If you have stocked to the eyeballs don't let it go to waste. I saw much of the threat coming and moved on it. I kept stocking where I could.

Some say that any unrest will be a "cities" issue. City problems are our problems. We still have logistics centers and factories close to the cities. Whatever you can't easily grow or make has to come from there. Then there's panic buying. For the "don't try that in my neck of the woods" crew I say that if they do so it'll be too late. If they come and take over the government, though bloodless, it will be IN your neck of the woods.

#253 ·
The extra cash we saved from not going out to eat every week has helped us increase our preps without increasing our debt. I've been focusing on creating a much deeper larder, adding to ammunition levels, acquiring a shotgun, and taking care of other less thought about preps that I've read about for years but never done until now, like Heirloom seeds, extra clothing and rechargeable batteries. I'm basically preparing for major society disruption in November.

#254 ·
I have a retreat coming up a week from now out of the city where I expect the fallout of the upcoming election and ongoing pandemic related issues will be the main theme of discussion. I am very thankful to be part of a likeminded network of people that are thinking ahead, however belatedly that might be for some of us.

I proposed to give a presentation on the ongoing unrest, focusing first upon the ideological motivations of its backers and then various ways to prepare for the post-election reality, however that might effect us up here. As things are much less unsettled up here at the moment, it shouldn't be too difficult for most to build up their food supply in October if they hadn't begun already. I will also bring some IFAKs and perhaps other gear to discuss their usefulness to most participants. As there are several hunters in the group, they probably ought to get one for their regular outings.

#258 ·
If the cities go full bonkers, the Golden Horde becomes the challenge for those in the burbs and rural areas, so - to say it won't or can't affect you is kind of silly. Then again, we have no idea - what situation may arise, I bet you a bazillion bananas it won't play out like anything you're expecting if real SHTF takes place.

Hopefully, after the election is small potatoes. People are pretty amped though - and it makes for kind of a powder keg volatile situation all around. An opportunistic foreign power could take advantage of that weakness and exploit it somehow. In what way - who knows?

#260 ·
Remember, there is also the financial crash that was forstalled by Trump's election to prep for. After7 T in covid stimulus, that will happen no matter who wins. Pay down debt, stock up on carbs, starches and comfort food. If Biden wins a cash flight will happen ahead of increased taxes and tons of new regulations. Any recovery will be glacial, at best. If Trump wins, a sharp recession will hit but the recovery will be shorter because of no cash flight, a continued lower level of regulations and incentive programs from the feds.

The severity of the recession is the wildcard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.