Survivalist Forum banner
341K views 1K replies 251 participants last post by  Dragunov 
#1 ·
#1,067 ·
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/61umCRWvv0L._SL1200_.jpg

anyone tried these?

I've got a couple in the truck kit but haven't cracked 'em yet. Been busy passing my amateur technician license test and planning training activities for my local group. (handgun safety, night shooting, and a cold weather camp out just last weekend)

sorry i haven't stopped by more often.

Bumpity!

Enjoy the thread and feel free to offer obseravtions, experiences and insights into freeze dried products

#1,069 ·
I'm sorry, but Wise has burned its bridge. Who cares if they now try to sell something good? They don't deserve a reprieve.

They should sell off any corporate assets, use the money to send their kids overseas, cluster tightly around a grenade, and pull the pin.

Reactions: MTShawn
#1,073 ·
Company Overview

Brothers International Food Corporation engages in the brokerage and trading of fruit juice in the United States.

The Corp is not a source supplier.

It offers cranberry, tropical, apple, pear, and grape fruit juices, as well as frozen fruits and fruit juice concentrates.

The company was founded in 2001 and is based in Batavia, New York with additional branches in Qingdao, China; and Quito, Ecuador.

To their credit, the products they sell sometimes have Country of Origin on the package label. I see a lot of their FD fruit sold in Costco and other low cost outlets.

For what it is, the price point is nothing I would be interested in.

Key players:

Mr. Matt Betters
Chief Executive Officer and President

Travis Betters
Chief Executive Officer and Chief Financial Officer

Mr. Michael DeLaurentis
Vice President of Sales & Marketing for Tropical Division

Bing Qu
Vice President of Asian Operations

Mr. James Betters
Vice President of Sales & Marketing

Also -
Law360, New York

(June 12, 2013, 2:03 PM EDT) -- Brothers International Food Corp. was hit Tuesday with a whistleblower suit filed by a former employee who says he was ordered to alter expiration dates on potato chips and sell partially rehydrated fruit crisps and then was fired for speaking up about the problem.
Plaintiff Colin Chase, who says he was the director of e-commerce at Brothers from 2010 to 2012, filed his suit under the whistleblower provision of the federal Food Safety Modernization Act, which was added to the act in 2011. Chase says he was fired after refusing to sign a nondisclosure and noncompete agreement given to him after he had repeatedly brought attention to problems with food products that were being shipped out.

“Beginning on or about April 2012, plaintiff Chase and Brothers manager Cathy Parsons alerted Brothers co-CEO Travis Betters to a batch of expired potato chips that were being sold online,” the complaint says. “Mr. Betters instructed that the continued sale of the expired potato chips should stop until an employee found time to ‘sticker’ the potato chips with ‘new expiration dates.’”

A couple of weeks later, the company began requiring employees to sign agreements that included nondisclosure provisions, according to the complaint.

“This new condition of continued employment was motivated by the fact that some employees, particularly plaintiff Chase, were aware of the fact that Brothers redates and sells expired food products,” the complaint says. “As such, the requirement of signing a nondisclosure agreement as a term of continued employment was in and of itself retaliatory and illegal.”

Stephen J. Jones, Brothers' attorney, said Chase's complaint was meritless.

"Any insinuation by Chase that Brothers’ products were defective is patently false. There has never been any finding of any kind of defective products. We take these allegations very seriously and intend to vigorously defend against this baseless lawsuit," Jones said. "We plan to file a motion asking the court to dismiss the case immediately."

Chase alleges that in addition to the potato chip expiration date issue, some dried apple fruit crisps had become soggy. He says he asked if those were susceptible to bacterial contamination but was told tests would have to be done.

All of this data is freely found on the 'net.

Before you make an investment in LTS, check out the company, the history of the company, any suit open or pending - then decide if you want to part with your heard earned dough...

FWIW - WISE started doing business as WISE Foods on 05/18/2009.

#1,075 ·
Anybody had a chance to sample a Red Cross 72 hour pail from Costco?
Labeling does not indicate who is producing their foods.
Also Costco is selling Wise and MH combo packs.
The MH packs I noticed were up a bit from the last time they were offered, but still a good deal for 13 pouches at $49.00 and change

#1,076 ·
https://www.readyproject.com/products/american-red-cross-4-person-72-hour-food-supply
Same product, same package, same multiple outlet re-sellers.

Ready Project is a Utah based (Lindon, UT) vendor I have commented on in the past.

BTW - this took less than 10 minutes to discover the source vendor.

YOU CAN DO BETTER FOR LESS MONEY. Hate to shout, but, you know....

Friends don't let friends waste money on Bucket Chow...

#1,079 · (Edited)
This thread has gone in many directions but the OP is still a major concern, with no satisfactory response from WISE.

#1,080 ·
Good stuff!

I have just read all 50+ pages of this discussion. (Over 3 days.)

You folks are great -- and I believe you saved me from making a drastic error by making my bulk purchase from (the supplier who clearly LOST in this thread).

Kudos to MH and AF for their contributions. I learned a lot from them ... and from the regular contributors on here (who clearly have studied the LTFS issue more than I).

Well done. Thank you!

Here in the high country of the Rockies our growing season is just too short. (And I have trouble growing WEEDS!) Our food preps will be supplemented by our gardens, rather than the other way around.

- Vic

#1,081 ·
So full disclosure; a recall was issued by Oregon freeze dried for 1 product; Spicy Southwest Breakfast Hash, manufactured on 1 day only:

"OFD Foods, LLC., an Albany, Ore. establishment, is recalling approximately 197 pounds of beef product that may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically rubber, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

The beef hash item was produced on Dec. 22, 2016. The following product is subject to recall: [View Labels (PDF Only)]

3.88-oz. pouch of “MOUNTAIN HOUSE FREEZE DRIED SPICY SOUTHWEST BREAKFAST HASH,” with pouch code 3253174 and best by date of Dec. 2046.
The product subject to recall bears establishment number “EST. 1394” inside the USDA mark of inspection. "

read full story here; http://paratusnews.com/usda-orders-mountain-house-product-recall-health-risk-declared-high/

I'm not familiar with the product, and i suspect a lot more than the 197 lbs will wind up back in Albany, i wonder if the cleared products will be available for resale. Taste reviews anyone?

#1,087 ·
Holy Freeze-Dried Cow!

I can't believe its been a year since my last post. the topic today is wheat and gluten free options for freeze dried or MRE meal choices. Taste tests and personal preferences and why appreciated, as well as suppliers and availability.

I've got a friend with a wheat sensitivity putting together his conflagration kit for this summer's firefighting season and I know that there are more meal options out there aside from the few he has found and tried so far.

Your ongoing support and knowledge base remains appreciated!

#1,088 ·
In case anyone didn’t know. Wise changed their name to ready wise.

And lost a lawsuit (class action) in the people’s republic of California over their fraudulent claims.

But is still out there. Someone over at PAFOA just posted about finding them at Costco, like it was a good thing. I directed him to this thread, but the emergency preparedness section of that forum is new, and covers “everything”, and I’m constantly squashing bad information about food preps (please, come help).

I’ll say the running thread on radios is likely as good as anything here. Apparently there is a strong overlap of CB/HAM used between PA gun owners and radio nuts.

https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=364746

#1,093 ·
Expedient solutions are for expedient situations.

The "better than nothing" argument" assumes nothing else is your only option. Buying a lousy expedient solution (Wise) only makes sense if that is the only option you have.

But the emergency isn't happening now and you have many better choices. So buying Wise now only proves ignorance or you are too cheap for your own good.

#1,094 ·
Since I feel The Starving Times are too close to waste any money on ‘long term storage’ food, its a moot point w me...I have a nice nest-egg supply of #10 MH, been a fan of the stuff since the early 70’s..But I also took advantage of Wises frequent sample pk deals and put a lot of that into the totes I keep my small MH meals in.
Economics is funny ha-ha to some people but a lot of us buy what we can buy when we can buy it.Better that than the alternative.

#1,095 · (Edited)
Now you are trying to argue poverty as a reason to buy it.

Wise is just starch and flavoring. Overpriced at that. Bouillon and minute rice is cheaper, but the same thing. All premade meals are overpriced compared to buying discrete components and using good cooking skills. So now we are rounding back to ignorance again as a reason to buy it in order to avoid knowing components and knowing how to cook. That's twice in this exchange that ignorance has been offered as a reason not to do things right.

Moreover, you are making that feeling full is being properly fed. Your belly feeling full is the least useful indicator of proper nutrition. To have the stamina and recovery you need to survive long term you need a complete nutrition profile. Wise does not offer that. They only offer a full belly of flavored starch. Proteins, fiber, and many of your micronutrients are lacking. You start suffering rabbit starvation as a result.

Finally, the poverty angle is always weak. You are online writing at a forum during weekday daylight instead of increasing your net value to employers. I can do it because my income supports time to do so. If you aren't making enough money then why during daylight hours are you not increasing your skill set or putting in more work hours?

If it is between 7am and 6pm and you aren't working then you cannot claim the poverty excuse because it is self inflicted.

#1,096 ·
Actually Im not arguing anything...All that sort of stuff I purchased was done more than a year ago..Its in my stash and I wont throw it out over some internet fact pissing/opinion contest...I buy other ways and rotate now.....

#1,097 ·
You argued the false logic that people will eat anything in an emergency in a thread about Wise. You were making the case for the product by default.

I shot it down and now you dissemble passive aggressive noise.

Reactions: goose3
#1,099 ·
Lately have been organizing and discovered many 4 or 5 year old canned goods.....guess what....we ate them, and we still are alive!
In other stores, the EE #10 cans of eggs, milk, and butter from 6-7 years ago, am trying to get creative with them, have made several quiche, egg/sausage bakes, etc and so far....we are still alive!
Have not bought any Wise or MH foods, only EE and Augason.
Ooops perhaps we had some MH cans for a trial. They seemed to heavy on the salt, needed to add lots of other stuff to make them palatable.

#1,109 ·
Lately have been organizing and discovered many 4 or 5 year old canned goods.....guess what....we ate them, and we still are alive!
In other stores, the EE #10 cans of eggs, milk, and butter from 6-7 years ago, am trying to get creative with them, have made several quiche, egg/sausage bakes, etc and so far....we are still alive!
Have not bought any Wise or MH foods, only EE and Augason.
Ooops perhaps we had some MH cans for a trial. They seemed to heavy on the salt, needed to add lots of other stuff to make them palatable.
We are continuing to open Emergency Essentials (& Provident Pantry) items, more milk, eggs, butter, mushrooms, onions, green pepper, pumpkin, and all of it is really quite good. The pumpkin, have not tried a pie (too hot to bake) but it was nice in a mixed soup/stew.

For sure a HarvestRight would be nice to have, however, once your stuff is FD'd you still have to package it up in mouse-proof containers (probably mylar bags inside 5 gal buckets). If you have #10 cans, they are great since you can use the empty cans for gardening & other uses.

#1,101 ·
It may taste good, but they are making bank on it. Their only two entrees are a rice and beans dish and a cheese macaroni dish, that they added multivitamins to and charge $55 for.

I don't care how well you season it and add vitamins to, but $55 for a #10 can of rice and beans is highway robbery. It would be expensive even if it were a 5gal bucket of the stuff. At least MH will put meat in a can before they start charging that kind of money.

Mac and cheese? So MH sells theirs in pouches instead to get a higher markup. 4 big pouches equal the contents of a #10 in ounces. MH get $8.50 a pouch. So it would run about $37 a can if they didn't offer a big can discount, which they do for foods that are sold in both pouches and cans. Nutrient Survival sells it for $55? MH isn't known for holding back on their MSRP. They have the rep, the longevity, the endless lab reports, etc. Full price MH is expensive and they are the benchmark. It's their place to command top dollar. Come sale time you'll get between 20 and 40 % off. So they would sell a can of mac and cheese for $25 or less at some point during a normal year. $55 a can for Nutrient Survival? Holy cow.....but no actual cow.

#1,107 · (Edited by Moderator)
$55 for a #10 can of mac n cheese? No thanks.....I like mac n cheese, but I can get the box version of it from Winco for 55 cents a box. So now I have 110 meals that are INDIVIDUAL servings. I food seal 2 & 4 packs of 'em and they're in a big tub with lid, the kind I use to hold my dirty clothes in. This way I don't have to worry about using an opened can asap, along with giving the boxes to family members if need by as they don't believe in prepping. However, I have tried MH's biscuits & gravy and wetsu, meaning we eat this **** up. There was so much, I couldn't finish it and yes, later on, ate it cold and it was still good.

Attachments

#1,111 ·
Anybody try Ready Hour brand food?
This is a multilevel marking front (DBA outfit)

The address given also promotes "My Patriot Supply" and "Emergency Essentials" and "Ready Alliance" and "Alexapure" and "Camping Survival" all at
1175 South Meridian Park Road, Suite A, Salt Lake City, UT

IOW - all covered in the master thread on LTS firms earlier in the section. I would suggest that rolling your own will allow you to:
Buy real food
Package and store yourself (mylar bag + O2 scrubber)
With the massive $avings, you can either pocket the savings or buy far more Chow for your crew.