Facial Recognition as Voter ID - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
View Poll Results: Facial Recognition Tech Used As A Form of Voter ID
Sounds good, plug it in 1 5.26%
No way, keep big brother away 15 78.95%
Not sure, need to think about it 1 5.26%
Bacon! 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2019, 09:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 27,744 Times in 6,573 Posts
Default Facial Recognition as Voter ID

Advertise Here

I was reading a story about CA wanting to limit facial recognition on police body cams. SF, I believe, already has a bill banning its use by police.

I wondered how people thought about facial recognition as a form of voter ID. I'm not sure where I stand on this. I don't like the idea of the intrusiveness of the tech but we do need some type of voter ID.

So what say you SB?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TRyan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 09:56 PM
si vis pacem para bellum

Thanked 9,335 Times in 2,790 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRyan View Post
I was reading a story about CA wanting to limit facial recognition on police body cams. SF, I believe, already has a bill banning its use by police.

I wondered how people thought about facial recognition as a form of voter ID. I'm not sure where I stand on this. I don't like the idea of the intrusiveness of the tech but we do need some type of voter ID.

So what say you SB?
I don't like it at all, it is one step closer to 1984 (not that they don't already have it but I will not willingly give anything that they can use against me)
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghost863 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 10:16 PM
Russian Asset

Thanked 9,664 Times in 1,722 Posts

Not a fan... slippery slope and all that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SurvivalOfTheFit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 10:28 PM
Tin Can Sailor

Thanked 5,097 Times in 1,846 Posts

Facial recognition - no. Voter ID card - absolutely.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doh Myn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 11:57 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 46,799 Times in 10,894 Posts

There's already facial recognition on your drivers license. All the poll worker has to do is look at it, then you.

Except that's raciss....
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Lagnar For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 03:05 AM
Weed 'em and reap

Thanked 121,251 Times in 24,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnar View Post
There's already facial recognition on your drivers license. All the poll worker has to do is look at it, then you.

Except that's raciss....
You beat me to it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Harmless Drudge For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 09:54 AM
pog mo thoin

Location: Catskill Mountains New York Where The Thing What Must Never Be Mentioned Here Is Legal & Encouraged
Thanked 3,753 Times in 992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnar View Post

Except that's raciss....
Jeepers, could THIS be the reason New York State will be giving illegal aliens drivers licenses?
Old 06-18-2019, 10:13 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,767 Times in 1,103 Posts

How do either of these work for the mail in ballots. In Texas you have to fall under one of the following and I don't believe most states take this route:

To be eligible to vote early by mail in Texas, you must:

-be 65 years or older;
-be disabled;
-be out of the county on election day and during the period for early voting by personal appearance; or
-be confined in jail, but otherwise eligible.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:23 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,264 Times in 483 Posts

From a country where organised voter fraud has happened a number of times, I am all in favor of controlling who choses our governments.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-32428648

https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2019...ted-by-police/

Photo ID should be the minimum, with your name checked against the list of eligible voters.I would even be happy to sign for my ballot paper, then nobody has a reason to complain the were denied a vote.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:43 AM
Indefatigable

Thanked 42,011 Times in 12,997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorry-no-clues View Post
Photo ID should be the minimum, with your name checked against the list of eligible voters.I would even be happy to sign for my ballot paper, then nobody has a reason to complain the were denied a vote.
I have voted (legally) in 3 different states in my life time NY, OH and OK every single one of them used the method state above, every single time I voted.
The problem comes when you expect people who have no form of transportation or income to travel more than 5 miles and pay a fee to obtain the ID. The IDs should be free and available at any post office.
If an employee at the sporting goods store can push a few buttons and verify you to buy a gun, a postmaster should be able to certify a voter just as easily and in the same length of time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2019, 02:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,969 Times in 7,989 Posts

The last time we went to vote, we brought our state issued ID cards, our voter cards, and our selves. They looked at our cards, then us, input into the computer for a little bit, gave the cards back, and "let" us vote.

Well, they let ME vote. He was another story, a poll worker wanted to do all the button pushing for him and he said HELL NO ONLY MY WIFE TOUCHES ANYTHING. So she stood there and spied on his secret ballot.

A couple of times now I have seen someone (one time, one of our drivers) go into the poll location and want to vote, but not from the area. They were presented with an affadaivit and told they would go to jail if they were committing fraud, and every time they turned around and left without voting.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 32,073 Times in 7,768 Posts

We show our driver's lic. They check us off on a hard copy of the reg voter list. Two people do that on two separate lists. I guess that's the checks and balances thing they do.

Of course, I have zero clue how giving illegal and non-citizens driver lics would impact that but I seem to recall that when I signed up as a voter they checked me out and determined I was eligible.

As to facial recognition tech, no. I am not a fan. I'm sure it is a growing tool currently in use, but it isn't anything I'm a fan of. Of course, they can track the newer cars; they can track many cars anywhere certain places like Express Pass are used; they have traffic cams that read most plates in some places. Even the newest and greatest new phones can be used to track you. It's getting kind of oppressive in my mind.

I found a guy that removed/disconnected many of the features in my car. And that one is a 2012 model. The dealer said it couldn't be done. But it could be done without harm. I keep saying I'm going to buy an old 1960's era car without a computer or anything else in it and have it reconditioned so I don't have those issues. But then there is always doing what I am currently doing- using a computer which can track me anyway so it's either shun all modern tech or accept some amount of it.