A Not true sad story.......That NEVER Happened. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 06-14-2019, 11:11 PM
Is a great cartridge.

Thanked 5,381 Times in 1,669 Posts
Default A Not true sad story.......That NEVER Happened.

Advertise Here

A Not true sad story.......That NEVER Happened.

Long long long ago I was working in an Alaska gun store, and a really old sourdough showed up just before we opened, he knocked politely at the door, we let him in the shop, we locked the door, he said he was leaving Alaska and had a few guns he wanted to sell or put on consignment. I had read stories back in the 50's and 60's about him, he built one of the early roadhouses long ago, he also guided and trapped.

Now remember he had a few guns to sell.......He was to old to be able to bring the guns in, so several of us young men went out to bring them in the shop, yep there were a few......I stopped counting at 120 and there were more. I kind'a recall someone said 135 or 136 total.

Well it was soon clear, "WE HAD A PROBLEM". We quickly locked the store doors, and put up a hand made sign, "Plumbing problem, closed till noon".

Sadly we did not photo the collection, which truly is very sad, for it was an unbelievable experience to view. We could not photo it as many many many were not legal, and sadly for history we destroyed many of them. But was an education for me about the very things we discuss about survival, and using what you have to survive. If you truly love classic firearms, can you imagine the experience of viewing classic original firearms that would bring $2,000.00 to $3,500.00 destroyed because they had been turned into Set-guns, for trapping back when trapping with set-gun was legal.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 11:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,345 Times in 18,947 Posts

Thank you for sharing this fictional account.

I assume the set guns were classical shotguns in this tale of fiction?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 11:21 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,112 Times in 1,269 Posts

I'm not familiar with the term set-guns. What are they?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2019, 11:25 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,345 Times in 18,947 Posts
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Black.Dog~ View Post
I'm not familiar with the terms. set-guns. What are they?

A firearm that fires when a trap is sprung vs a human pulling the trigger.

A trap is called "a set" when it's "set" to catch game vs closed or sprung/offline.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 11:26 PM
Is a great cartridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Thank you for sharing this fictional account.

I assume the set guns were classical shotguns in this tale of fiction?
And beautiful old classic rifles......1886 Winchester type rifles. (Hypothetically)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 11:26 PM
Inglorious Deplorable

Thanked 33,693 Times in 13,351 Posts

Quote:

Go as the Information God. His url is http://www.google.com

Time to repeal the 17th.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 9111315 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 11:30 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 23,627 Times in 8,751 Posts

Not all set guns are illegal. So a factory made one such as The Tayor Fur Getter.

https://www.guns.com/news/2012/07/23...tter-sure-shot
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 11:36 PM
Is a great cartridge.

Quote:

Well, I could write pages about this. But to make it short. You attach a firearm to something......say a tree, you place a chunk of appropriate bait attached to a string or cord, you put the appropriate bait infront of the muzzle, route the string/cord through a hole in the butt stock and attach it to the trigger, take up the slack, make sure everything is perfect then cock the firearm. There is much much much more to it, but that is the idea. This example is for trapping. You do a different set-up for killing people.

They are illegal to use for trapping or hunting now. But the knowledge and the practice of actually making the "Set" is a value for survivalists to know. I build them using cheap old H&R "Handy" type firearms. I especially like the "Survivor" models for this application. I set them up and then I spring them. Then remove them for storage. I never use them for hunting or trapping.

They were use extensively in Africa for culling Lions. And in Alaska for trapping and for culling Grizzly Bears. But they shoot whatever is in front of the muzzle..........and often that was the person who set the set-gun. Never use an autoloader.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2019, 12:39 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 23,627 Times in 8,751 Posts

They had a coyote set gun for a while. 38 Special with cyanide. It worked for a while. Then they started finding triggered units missing the bait with no dead yodel dogs. They set some game cameras up. The coyote would crawl up to the set, lay on their side, trigger the unit, then stand up and take the bait. Smart dogs.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2019, 01:11 AM
Hunter

Thanked 4,112 Times in 1,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9111315 View Post
Go as the Information God. His url is http://www.google.com
I considered consulting The Oracle but prefer the more knowledgeable information from here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2019, 07:54 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,135 Times in 369 Posts

Man, would've been awesome if it happened. Reminds me of when i lost most of my guns on a fishing trip. Fell straight into the river i tell you.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
Man, would've been awesome if it happened. Reminds me of when i lost most of my guns on a fishing trip. Fell straight into the river i tell you.
Acquaintance of mine was fortunate to safe his fishing rods but no guns.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Theunsb For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2019, 09:54 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 65,492 Times in 20,120 Posts

plead insanity for the defense.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2019, 10:19 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,680 Times in 4,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.8SPC View Post
[B][U] If you truly love classic firearms, can you imagine the experience of viewing classic original firearms that would bring $2,000.00 to $3,500.00 destroyed because they had been turned into Set-guns, for trapping back when trapping with set-gun was legal.
The thought that anything needs to be illegal, simply because of what it is, or has been made into is the real crime.

What I dont get is, if these guns are/were what you say, they are still worth a good amount of money, just in parts The thought of them just being destroyed, instead of just broke down into parts, is also kind of a crime. Especially with older guns in this day and age.

A few years back, I made REAL good money breaking down old, basically "junk" guns, into parts, and selling them off, on, of all places, eBay.

Another thought too. Why couldnt the more desireable guns just be restored to their original configurations?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2019, 12:53 PM
Is a great cartridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
The thought that anything needs to be illegal, simply because of what it is, or has been made into is the real crime.

What I dont get is, if these guns are/were what you say, they are still worth a good amount of money, just in parts The thought of them just being destroyed, instead of just broke down into parts, is also kind of a crime. Especially with older guns in this day and age.

A few years back, I made REAL good money breaking down old, basically "junk" guns, into parts, and selling them off, on, of all places, eBay.

Another thought too. Why couldnt the more desireable guns just be restored to their original configurations?
The problem is.......if caught in possession the FFL owner would likely loose License, and have huge legal costs. Where we could, we salvaged "quickly" what was salvageable. For example a single shot shotgun, with a 10" barrel, sure keep the receiver and hand guard, and destroy the barrel, we did that.

You have to understand these were often very rusty, having been used as traps in the wilderness.

What is sad to me. Was we were trapped and in possession of a lot of illegal firearms. What would have been nice, is if we could call BATF&E and explain the situation, and worked out maybe 10 days to solve the problem.

I mean if they could have been photographed for historical information would have been smart. There was soooo much I learned just looking at them, and you could see how they were attached to trees. Some had "U" clamps through the buttstock. I could see many had chunks broken out of the buttstock from the recoil and how they were attached to the tree.

This was a great chance to have studied a period in Alaska's history. Just think if the History channel could have recorded on film those guns, and interview that that old sourdough, who lived that time period in history. This guy was likely born in the late 1800's (Remember I am near 73 y/o and this did not happen many decades ago). Anyone who was reading hunting or outdoor magazines in the 1940's-50's-60's would sure recall his guiding in Alaska stories.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2019, 01:07 PM
Is a great cartridge.

Quote:

What do you do quickly with several Savage 99' that the barrel is hacksaw cut even with the handguard. Yes if you have lots of time you can remove the barrel. But do you really want to risk a front page photos of you gunstore and your mug-shot, screaming you were caught with 40'some criminal firearms. Had we known what we were bringing into the shop, we could have stopped. But once you bring 136'ish gun in the store, you now in possession. It was a bad deal, for everyone, but to my mind the big looser was the recording of true history.
The Following User Says Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2019, 01:11 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,005 Posts

Quote:
What is sad to me. Was we were trapped and in possession of a lot of illegal firearms. What would have been nice, is if we could call BATF&E and explain the situation, and worked out maybe 10 days to solve the problem.
I guess it's good none of it ever really happened.
In that fictional world no one knew a sawed off rifle or shotgun was illegal.

In the real world it's pretty much common knowledge, and the FFL dealer would have never brought them to his shop in the first place.

Quote:
It was a bad deal, for everyone, but to my mind the big looser was the recording of true history
But there was none.

Quote:
A Not true sad story.......That NEVER Happened.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2019, 01:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,680 Times in 4,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.8SPC View Post
What do you do quickly with several Savage 99' that the barrel is hacksaw cut even with the handguard. Yes if you have lots of time you can remove the barrel. But do you really want to risk a front page photos of you gunstore and your mug-shot, screaming you were caught with 40'some criminal firearms. Had we known what we were bringing into the shop, we could have stopped. But once you bring 136'ish gun in the store, you now in possession. It was a bad deal, for everyone, but to my mind the big looser was the recording of true history.
So, take the "suspect" ones out of the shop and do it elsewhere. I really dont see what the big deal is.

If you were that worried, why did you let them in the store in the first place?

I fully understand the legal ramifications, but I think you have to use a little common sense too.

Some people are so conditioned now, to the point that just looking at something illegal, will bring the wrath of the law down upon them. Ive been living the NFA realm of things firearm related for most of my adult life, and Im always amazed at the things you hear from people. The "fear" has been well instilled.

The ATF has rules for destruction of things they consider contraband, but that doesnt necessarily mean "destroy".

I just think its a shame, that people have been so conditioned to be afraid, that they will do foolish things, simply out of fear.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2019, 01:42 PM
Is a great cartridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper708 View Post

In the real world it's pretty much common knowledge, and the FFL dealer would have never brought them to his shop in the first place..
Well maybe not if he was in his mid 80's and had been living in the Alaska wilderness.

And most were in soft gun cases, so we did not know that many were illegal till they were inside the shop, and started opening them. I guess you would just had to have been there to understand.

Have a nice day "TROLL".....
Old 06-15-2019, 01:53 PM
Is a great cartridge.

Quote:
So, take the "suspect" ones out of the shop and do it elsewhere. I really dont see what the big deal is.

If you were that worried, why did you let them in the store in the first place?

I fully understand the legal ramifications, but I think you have to use a little common sense too.

I was an "Employee" working for hourly wages, and doing what I was told to do. It was the shop owners decision to make. It is easy to talk about what could have been done, but this was 40'ish years ago. The Old Sourdough was leaving Alaska that afternoon, and this was the last detail he needed to attend too, before catching a flight that afternoon.

And "WHO" was going to take them out of the shop......??? Sure as hell, not me. Yes, officer see the reason I am in possession of 40'ish illegal firearms is.........wait officer.....just please wait officer, I am attempting to find a valid answer.
The Following User Says Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post: