Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-12-2019, 10:56 PM
It's ok to be white

Thanked 89,405 Times in 23,650 Posts
Default What's the hardest part of your Christian walk?

Advertise Here

With me, it's my evil disobedience.

Just in the past few weeks God has reminded me of a few people I have NOT fully forgiven. I could even tell friends and family that I have forgiven _____person, but I was holding back some which makes me also a liar.

A long walk the other night, I actually argued with big Papa, it was too big and too hurtful, maybe even selfishly felt entitled. Yet I know better. I repented and asked for forgiveness.

The other area is my behavior is in traffic. I have great friends, great awesome family, my neighbors all love me...but I become this raging idiot when I'm driving in traffic. The thoughts that cross my mind when someone cuts in front of me or does something stupid makes me feel ashamed.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:12 PM
This is a great survival forum

For me, it was forgiveness, but I was fortunate enough to recently be able to forgive someone who hurt me greatly in the past. It was a massive weight off my shoulders after many long years of carrying my 'unforgiveness'.

Now, I feel like I am being disobedient in thinking poorly of others, some of whom I know but some I don't. I am endeavoring to not make snap judgements of people who don't warrant such judgements.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019, 03:02 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 7,438 Times in 2,840 Posts

Not always putting God first (I have many gods before Him)
Not always treating my parents with proper reverence (sometimes it's hard with really, really old people, and I sometimes lose patience or get worn out and fail/don't remember to pray)
Not spending more time about the Lord's work (I'm lazy/selfish)
Sometimes I'm a horrible example on SB

I'm chiefest among sinners, but Jesus took care of it
Sometimes I forget the second part when everything's going wrong
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:

Old 06-13-2019, 06:34 AM
Survivor

Thanked 15,793 Times in 4,943 Posts

I have a lot on my plate, so to be this guy:

"But these are the ones sown on good ground, those who hear the word, [e]accept it, and bear fruit: some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some a hundred.”

...and not this guy:

"Now these are the ones sown among thorns; they are the ones who hear the word, and the cares of this world, the deceitfulness of riches, and the desires for other things entering in choke the word, and it becomes unfruitful."

(Mark ch. 4).

Oh, and consistent prayer for which this prayer book has been a huge help.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Watchingtheweasels For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 08:02 AM
Prepared

Traffic is a hard one for me, as well. The Lord has really been on me about that since Feb (and my dd has been on me about it for longer!). It's a work in progress....

My mouth (not lying, my face, too). I can be cynical and critical and negative, and I always regret it coming out. I also am bad at interrupting. Someone posted the THINK acronym on fb a month or so ago, and it has helped me immensely....speak what is True, Helpful, Inspiring, Necessary, Kind.

Trying to figure out forgiveness...with boundaries.....with honoring.... I'm at a loss.

The need for rest...but not tipping into laziness.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JenFred For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 08:07 AM
It's ok to be white

Quote:
=JenFred;19581594]Traffic is a hard one for me, as well. The Lord has really been on me about that since Feb (and my dd has been on me about it for longer!). It's a work in progress....
So glad you've said this....

Quote:
Trying to figure out forgiveness...with boundaries.....with honoring.... I'm at a loss.
yeah, I hear that. It's a fine line especially if there is on-going offenses.

Thanks for being so real Jen!
Old 06-13-2019, 08:33 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 5,187 Times in 1,640 Posts

We have been instructed to pray continuously
When I first read that, I did not comprehend it.
Now I do, and now I fail
Also, reading The Word
I have fallen away from the instruction to study and show myself approved
Finally, materalism or the unnecessary aqusition of stuff
I do not love the stuff, but it is improvident

Traffic is the reason I moved
40 years of driving in brutal traffic conditions in So. Cal burned me out
Lot of road rage
It took a lot of time before I could deal with the incredibly rude drivers in stop and go, bumper to bumper traffic
Lot of sin therein
The mental displine it took to ignore/tolerate/love the incredibly rude drivers, I was one as well, when I was in a rush, took a great toll.
I used to drive 25 to 35k miles a year in the most brutal traffic conditions in the United States
Now, around 3k and 99% of the other drives are very considerate here
This is still The Bible Belt

Great Thread
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 11:39 AM
This is a great survival forum

Slightly off topic, but I used to have a problem with traffic--inconsiderate drivers, rude drivers, aggressive drivers. I understood the problems, but not letting the problems get to me was hard. Seems no matter how angry I'd get, the problem would still be there in front of me.

So I decided several years ago that when presented with a traffic problem, I'd say to myself 'stuff happens'. Construction, wrecks, slow drivers, reckless drivers, etc. Stuff happens, I can't control it, all I can do is navigate through it, and in a few minutes it will be over with. Now it's taken several years of applying this idea consistently, but it finally paid off. Now I don't get upset in traffic. Disgusted maybe, but not swearing and yelling upset.

Now I'm applying that same idea to other areas. Trying to pay for a big bill of groceries and the store's computer system craters? Stuff happens. Something breaks somewhere and it inconveniences me? Stuff happens. It's a method that I've learned to MAKE work for me. Took years but it does work.

I am trying to be more compassionate too. If someone won't do something, I'm trying to tell myself that maybe it's not that they won't---maybe it's that they can't. Maybe it's not them being stubborn. Maybe they truly lack the capacity---the innate ability---to do something. Getting angry with someone who can't perform a task or tell you something is so incredibly frustrating, especially when you have a genuine need for them to do so. But getting angry with them is not fruitful at all, and it's not going to get you what you need. I've learned that the hard way, over and over. So I've started telling myself 'maybe they're doing the best they can and they literally cannot do this thing'. It's helping a little, maybe it will help more in the future.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:17 AM
His Disciple

Thanked 6,816 Times in 2,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMan View Post
With me, it's my evil disobedience.

Just in the past few weeks God has reminded me of a few people I have NOT fully forgiven. I could even tell friends and family that I have forgiven _____person, but I was holding back some which makes me also a liar.

A long walk the other night, I actually argued with big Papa, it was too big and too hurtful, maybe even selfishly felt entitled. Yet I know better. I repented and asked for forgiveness.

The other area is my behavior is in traffic. I have great friends, great awesome family, my neighbors all love me...but I become this raging idiot when I'm driving in traffic. The thoughts that cross my mind when someone cuts in front of me or does something stupid makes me feel ashamed.
Wow, same here...traffic drives me nuts!
I can also be such a hypocrite, liar, disobedient, slanderous, and more!

Slander is a biggy, we all get up in it...whether we are talking about the knuckleheads on the news (see what I mean), politicians, reporters, Hollywood elite, (each other here on the boards), etc...if you are not talking someone up, you are tearing them down...Israelite's call that Lashon Hara (negative speech, or the evil tongue).

Lord forgive me
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to esheldon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 01:12 PM
It's ok to be white

Quote:
Originally Posted by esheldon View Post
Wow, same here...traffic drives me nuts!
I can also be such a hypocrite, liar, disobedient, slanderous, and more!

Slander is a biggy, we all get up in it...whether we are talking about the knuckleheads on the news (see what I mean), politicians, reporters, Hollywood elite, (each other here on the boards), etc...if you are not talking someone up, you are tearing them down...Israelite's call that Lashon Hara (negative speech, or the evil tongue).

Lord forgive me
I'm requesting a DNA sample from you, I swear we were separated at birth
Old 06-14-2019, 01:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,823 Times in 3,407 Posts

Keeping any sort of faith in a just God when things on earth are not fair, and people and animals suffer even if they don't deserve it.

Sometimes I really think God is like Chuck on Supernatural ( tv show) in the last episode of season 14. The Motorhead song at the very end sums it up extremely well "God was never on your side"

Sorry not feeling any faith this week, my best friend died, and I am once again very angry with God for taking someone too early
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 01:59 PM
Prepared

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend! How very hard...and very painful. And it will take time and effort to grieve through your loss. May you find comfort in this time.

It's fairly common to be angry with God and/or to blame Him when things aren't right....when disappointments overwhelm us....when our hearts are shattered. This world is not what God created it to be. It runs away from God's plan. Death and pain are not His prescriptions for us. These things are the result of sin, and sin entering this world. The curse of sin causes sickness and death and destruction. It causes breakups and pain and disappointment. It shatters and breaks us open.

I believe we can be honest with God when we are angry at so much pain. I just pray that our hearts are open to Him when He speaks, so that His truth comes in and soothes our anger. Because HE is not the cause of death and despair. He understands our anger and our blaming, and can heal those parts of us which rail against Him, if we allow Him to. But in this world are many tribulations....and we need to know that life isn't smooth sailing. Yet in the tribulations, He can be our comfort, if we allow Him.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JenFred For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 02:36 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,537 Times in 852 Posts

Being true to myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to cat_1978 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 04:25 PM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 27,708 Times in 9,606 Posts

Quote:
What's the hardest part of your Christian walk?
INTERNALLY: Anger. My blood pressure really went off the charts Saturday when my stepson's gf asked me to watch her 2 yo overnight - for the 7th time that day. (Yes, I said some version of "no" 6 times prior).

EXTERNALLY: Insufferable proselytizers. In a men's group I belong, approximately 1/3 are recovering addicts. They are but humble sinners. Those who claim to have it all figured out; their self-righteous theology is THE only correct one, in theory. In practice, they are far from the Spirit.

For the record, it is not just Christian proselytizers. Secular Leftist humanism dominates the pop culture. The constant undermining of the Judeo-Christian principles that made Western Civilization great wears on me, pushing hedonism, sexual deviancy and abolishing the idea of self-control, etc. Paradoxically, they promote peaceful coexistence while violently opposing nationalism & Trump and have no tolerance for dissenting thinking.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 05:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,079 Times in 7,577 Posts

Nights when my drunken husband falls on the floor repeatedly, disassembles the access panel to the dishwasher, and tries to stick his hand inside...looking for his fanny pack.

No verbal abuse tonight but utterly wrung out and exhausted. Thank God I am working out again, it helps my mind. He did not pee on the floor. He isn't bleeding, and he didn't vomit either. He is appreciative I brought him his fanny pack as he sits on the kitchen floor, in no hurry to get into his wheelchair.

Exhausting. VERY difficult not to get bitter and hateful, but that doesn't honor God. So I try to treat him with respect (so hard!) and the love I would show Jesus (but then I tell myself Jesus didn't get wasted).

Forgiving all the rest was easy in comparison to daily living with him.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 06:31 PM
It's ok to be white

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_1978 View Post
Being true to myself.
We wouldn't have you any other way Cat
Old 06-14-2019, 06:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,231 Times in 8,811 Posts

Not meaning to sidetrack the thread but as a Christian, I DID have many of these issues. However, since I made a personal connection with the Holy Spirit, I have not had these issues. Where I once hated, I now Love as best as I can.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 07:21 PM
Priorities. Col. 3:1-4

I think for me it is believing (I mean, REALLY believing...not just lip service) what God has said about my sin nature.

"Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires."

This verse has been ringing in my head for about a week. The present perfect "have crucified" really struck me in a fresh way. It's a done deal. My sin nature is dead. Impotent. It does not have power over me like it used to.

I give lip service to that truth, but in practice I deny it far too often. I find it happens the most on days when I've slept in and not spent time in the Word and prayer, which usually happens when I've stayed up past 10 or so. I will say that just meditating on that verse has been immensely helpful this past week...not just in saying "no" to sin, but also feeling the joy of obedience and the living power of the Spirit replacing the dead power of sin.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Surviving Suburbia For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 07:33 PM
Priorities. Col. 3:1-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
Keeping any sort of faith in a just God when things on earth are not fair, and people and animals suffer even if they don't deserve it.

Sometimes I really think God is like Chuck on Supernatural ( tv show) in the last episode of season 14. The Motorhead song at the very end sums it up extremely well "God was never on your side"

Sorry not feeling any faith this week, my best friend died, and I am once again very angry with God for taking someone too early
I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't know what I'd do if my best friend died. He is one of my greatest treasures on earth, after God and my wife and family.

I read a news story this week about a man who killed his own young kids (like a year ago, I think). I felt horrible all afternoon about the suffering and injustice, the lives cut short. I have kids the same ages that his were. I felt it viscerally. What helped bring me out of the despairing feelings was remembering that God isn't bound to time like we are. He has promised to bring perfect justice and wipe away the tears from every eye. He has the power to raise the dead. He created the universe from nothing, including the time-space continuum. If anyone can set right what seems impossibly broken, it's Him. Somehow, even those poor murdered kids are part of a plan that ends in perfect justice and peace. I don't know how He will do it. I just know that He said He can, and He will.

I don't know your real name, but I'm praying for you, and I'll bet God can match a screen name to a real name
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Surviving Suburbia For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 09:26 PM
Layman

Thanked 2,747 Times in 1,328 Posts

What's the hardest part of your Christian walk?
_____
What ISN'T hard about the Christian walk?

I think it is a lot of work to be a Christian, their are so many temptations in this world and one really needs to lean on the Lord and cooperate with his Grace, to fend off the temptations.

If I could choose one thing that is the hardest. I would actually choose one of the conditions for a mortal sin.

The idea of wanting to sin, even though you know it will disappoint God, then choosing to do it anyways....
It's a bad feeling afterwards and it tends to put an emptiness on my soul.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sloth For This Useful Post: