Looks like Trump IS really bad for the gun business. - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2019, 08:14 PM
Rockwell Torrey's Avatar
Rockwell Torrey Rockwell Torrey is offline
Ingloriously Deplorable
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
Posts: 2,310
Thanks: 3,006
Thanked 6,293 Times in 1,868 Posts
Default



Advertise Here

Up until I found myself working at a gun shop, I'd toyed with the idea it would make a nice little retirement enterprise.

HA effing HA !!!

Want to know how to make a million in the gun business? Start with ten million, LOL.
Margins of 18% on guns (or less) 40% on "stuff" if you agressively advertise and market you could make a go but its work. Ain't nothing free. Compared to other investments, it was a poor choice for my retirement dollars. That and me & the wife didn't want to be tied to a shop six days a week. Then there's all the other wonderful stuff involved in owning a business, regulations, taxes, stffing...LOL, no thankee. Suppressors/classIII stuff. Great profit margin but the months and longer wait for the feds to do their thing is a killer. If you know what you are doing (and I do) its a great way to bring in solid cash.

Hunting/fishing seems to be declining. From the US Fish & Wildlife Service National hunting license data, it seems so. But there's other variables involved. I do know because I sold them hunters their guns that 'Bird guns" and "deer guns" aren't selling like they used to. And its not repeatable. Most people buy once, shoot that for decades. Not too many people have more than one hunting gun. Ammo is there BUT... Walmart & the boxboxes and internet kill you on that.

AR market has been flat since 2016. Good time to buy however. EXCELLENT time as a matter of fact, hint-hint. Ammo ain't bad either. Another hint.

Small concealed carry guns. Solid sellers. Bread & butter guns. Tricky stuff, you gotta have $$$ into inventory and THAT.....kills. Guns that don't sell, cost you money. High end guns, same deal.

Look at the wholesalers; been quite a few I know of go tits up. Other, United Sports will be OK after the bankruptcy but... Vista and the parents ofCCI/Federal/Winchester and the other biggies will do ok because they have gubbermint contracts and they are diversified. Deep and wide.

Quite honestly, I see some major issues after 2024. Its coming friends, coming.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rockwell Torrey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 08:20 PM
Runamok's Avatar
Runamok Runamok is offline
Don't be dumb
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 7,227
Thanks: 23,049
Thanked 13,670 Times in 4,811 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Putnam View Post
Like any other business one needs to adapt to a changing market.

Many "gun dealers" refuse to do so.
They still think that stocking up on hunting rifles in March is a good idea because the distributors put them on sale.
They that selling suppressors (which have a huge markup) is a horrible idea because the ATF will come to their house and make them go open their books in their underwear at 3am.
They refuse to sell bulk ammo because "nobody buys more than a couple boxes at a time".
Even after doing internet transfers for dozens of lowers, they won't carry them.
Same goes for higher end (priced) guns like Dan Wesson handguns and CZ rifles.

That of they cut hours and can't figure out why they aren't getting any business being open every other Thursday between 4-8pm unless their kid has a ball game and in that case you'll just have to drive out to find out he's closed.
Hit the nail on the head. Those that expanded their offering like having a range, range rentals and catering to the CCW and tactical markets have seen their coffers swell. If other shops are thinking they will be making it by selling pump shotguns and Timmy's first .22 they will be sadly mistaken.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Runamok For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 10:07 PM
Nomad, 2nd Nomad, 2nd is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Gulf coast and/or Nomadically
Posts: 28,025
Thanks: 23,393
Thanked 56,267 Times in 18,372 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwell Torrey View Post
Up until I found myself working at a gun shop, I'd toyed with the idea it would make a nice little retirement enterprise.

HA effing HA !!!

ing.
AS I have shared I 'ride along' with my buddies to enough shows to be talked to by dealers.

One in particular does exactly that and very well.
(He did a transfer for me when a pvt seller wanted the guns "not registered to him" and we have become friendly, I will search his tables while he uses the bathroom etc.)

He's a retired banker (I don't pry, but get the impression it's an early golden parachute.) He will have about $40k out, and does both CCW classes as well as "teach you how to build an AR classes" I know space limits him to 6 people and he's considering g a larger shop but doesn't know if he wants his "retirement business" to get that big.

There are other examples.
Many.

Like any industry: depends on if your good at what you do. He doesn't work hard.
I know others.... I don't know how they afford to come to shoemaker alone pay bills.

Know another guy who started selling those Pakistan fake Damascus knives as a side business and bought a motorhome. Claims he makes 6 figures and quit his week-day job. I believe it.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
 
Old 06-13-2019, 12:42 AM
zumhug's Avatar
zumhug zumhug is offline
Support the 2A
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 2,220
Thanks: 5,480
Thanked 3,942 Times in 1,451 Posts
Default

This shows you the intelligence and mentality of so many in this country. Simply sheep!

While Obama was in office, especially after Sandy Hook my rights were ONLY diminished due to hoarding and panic buying. The need for the panic ended up a nothing burger.

Now, we have Trump in office, a man who has spent his life as a big city NYC liberal in the office telling everyone how pro 2A he is.

Yes, guns and accessories are plentiful, the sheep seem to excuse the fact with the swipe of a pen we lost bumpstocks (yes they are stupid, but it is still an infringement and bad precedent), support of red flag laws, a President sitting next to Feinstein talking of taking guns without due process, a Presidents administration telling the SCOTUS to not take a case on Suppressors (days after talking of banning them) and this doesn't cause panic?

Seems like the market is not dependant on Trump, it's about the stupidity of the so-called patriot "pro-gun" crowd not seeing the wool pulled over their eyes.

Surprisingly a NYC liberal is acting like a NYC liberal and his base...LOL is suddenly ok with attacks on our rights.

Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zumhug For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 01:00 AM
Nomad, 2nd Nomad, 2nd is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Gulf coast and/or Nomadically
Posts: 28,025
Thanks: 23,393
Thanked 56,267 Times in 18,372 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumhug View Post
.

Surprisingly a NYC liberal is acting like a NYC liberal and his base...LOL is suddenly ok with attacks on our rights.

Yea, no.



Just better than Hillary appointing SCJ.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 01:19 AM
zumhug's Avatar
zumhug zumhug is offline
Support the 2A
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 2,220
Thanks: 5,480
Thanked 3,942 Times in 1,451 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Yea, no.

Just better than Hillary appointing SCJ.
Such an amazing accomplishment.

We should be so proud that we got stuck with a President of this great nation, the greatest NATION in the history of the world who will have the great distinction of being "better than the other candidate".
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to zumhug For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 01:49 AM
Nomad, 2nd Nomad, 2nd is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Gulf coast and/or Nomadically
Posts: 28,025
Thanks: 23,393
Thanked 56,267 Times in 18,372 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumhug View Post
Such an amazing accomplishment.

We should be so proud that we got stuck with a President of this great nation, the greatest NATION in the history of the world who will have the great distinction of being "better than the other candidate".
Where did I say proud?

Right after I voted for him I shared how I was going to write in Camacho until it was pointed out to me about the SCJ.

Just got off the phone with a buddy and we both called the Orange one "A NY Yankee Democrat" at the exact same time.

still doesn't take away from the fact I don't regret voting for him.
...remains to be seen if I will again.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 06:42 AM
ROCK6's Avatar
ROCK6 ROCK6 is online now
Survivor
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Georgia/Afghanistan
Posts: 5,282
Thanks: 5,483
Thanked 11,561 Times in 3,844 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumhug View Post
Such an amazing accomplishment.

We should be so proud that we got stuck with a President of this great nation, the greatest NATION in the history of the world who will have the great distinction of being "better than the other candidate".
I don't know about proud, but much of my support for Trump is because he's much better than the alternative. Sure, I hate the bump stock ban and support for red-flag laws; they should get addressed in the courts as I think both are unconstitutional. Poor judgement by Trump and his closest advisors.

That said, he's been far more friendly to the 2A than any president I can recall in my lifetime; however, I'm not so naïve to think he sees the 2A the same as the rest of Americans. He's also a business man who will compromise in some areas to make ground in others...not what I want to see when dealing with our "rights". So, there's some bad along with the positive, but the alternative would have been much, much worse, especially with a gun-banning house and a few RINOs in the senate willing to sacrifice liberties for power and control. We literally dodged a bullet with Trump's election over HRC.

ROCK6
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 08:23 AM
HappyinID's Avatar
HappyinID HappyinID is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,008
Thanks: 2,237
Thanked 3,745 Times in 1,756 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
I don't know about proud, but much of my support for Trump is because he's much better than the alternative. Sure, I hate the bump stock ban and support for red-flag laws; they should get addressed in the courts as I think both are unconstitutional. Poor judgement by Trump and his closest advisors.

That said, he's been far more friendly to the 2A than any president I can recall in my lifetime; however, I'm not so naïve to think he sees the 2A the same as the rest of Americans. He's also a business man who will compromise in some areas to make ground in others...not what I want to see when dealing with our "rights". So, there's some bad along with the positive, but the alternative would have been much, much worse, especially with a gun-banning house and a few RINOs in the senate willing to sacrifice liberties for power and control. We literally dodged a bullet with Trump's election over HRC.

ROCK6
You have it exactly right.

I never thought Trump would win, but I happily ate crow after. And while I wish he wasn't such an azzhat, I thank God for his scotus nominations.

Ruthie honey, it's time to go home....

But in the six decades that I've voted in, I've never seen a more concerted effort to run on wiping away the Constitution. Dark times ahead I fear.

Although that's just "FUD" I'm told by the youngsters....

.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HappyinID For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 08:31 AM
HappyinID's Avatar
HappyinID HappyinID is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,008
Thanks: 2,237
Thanked 3,745 Times in 1,756 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyFeathers View Post
We gotta make sure Trump wins and RGB croaks before he's out of office
I'd be happy if she just went to the home and ate pudding for the last months of her life, rather than keep sleeping through cases and voting however the other lefties tell her to...

.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HappyinID For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 12:33 PM
Israel Putnam's Avatar
Israel Putnam Israel Putnam is offline
Bunker Hill Patriot
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: W. Central PA
Posts: 6,672
Thanks: 3,587
Thanked 10,574 Times in 4,288 Posts
Default

Think of how lucky we were that when Obama had both chambers of Congress he focused on socialist healthcare rather than gun control.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 03:25 PM
sarco2000's Avatar
sarco2000 sarco2000 is offline
If I had a voice I'd sing
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Beyond the Grid, in Montana
Age: 53
Posts: 7,134
Thanks: 14,569
Thanked 22,425 Times in 5,585 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinID View Post
But in the six decades that I've voted in, I've never seen a more concerted effort to run on wiping away the Constitution. Dark times ahead I fear.
Obama did two great things for this country. He made AR15s "common use" by putting them into the hands of millions of Americans, and caused so many state legislatures to flip from blue to red. Which 38 of these states would vote with Democrats to change the Constitution to remove liberty? It would only take 13 states to stop it. And that's assuming 2/3 of US Congress votes to get it that far. It won't happen in this decade or the next.



Most of what the Dem candidates are running on either WOULD require changing the Constitution or if they try to do it anyway, would get shot down in court, assuming they could even get Congress to pass it.

.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 05:10 PM
zumhug's Avatar
zumhug zumhug is offline
Support the 2A
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: United States
Posts: 2,220
Thanks: 5,480
Thanked 3,942 Times in 1,451 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
That said, he's been far more friendly to the 2A than any president I can recall in my lifetime; however, I'm not so naïve to think he sees the 2A the same as the rest of Americans.
ROCK6
Not sure how anyone can say that. What has he done to deserve that "more friendly" as you say tag?

*Did he push for or take up the hearing protection act?
*Especially with majorities in both houses?
*Did he go to the Senate and push for the nationwide reciprocity act that failed?
*Besides for speaking at the NRA (which gave him $30 million towards his self-funded campaign) meetings or invoking the name of Obama, what can we say Trump has done for the 2nd Amendment?
*Was his administration's recent memo to SCOTUS advising them to not take the silencer case that sat before them a pro-2nd Amendment act on his part?

In fact, Obama signing the bill to allow me to carry in national parks is far more favorable than anything President Trump has done for me when it comes to my 2nd Amendment rights.

To say otherwise is disingenuous.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zumhug For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 12:37 PM
GG42 GG42 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,069
Thanks: 1,038
Thanked 3,117 Times in 1,876 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumhug View Post
Not sure how anyone can say that. What has he done to deserve that "more friendly" as you say tag?

*Did he push for or take up the hearing protection act?
*Especially with majorities in both houses?
*Did he go to the Senate and push for the nationwide reciprocity act that failed?
*Besides for speaking at the NRA (which gave him $30 million towards his self-funded campaign) meetings or invoking the name of Obama, what can we say Trump has done for the 2nd Amendment?
*Was his administration's recent memo to SCOTUS advising them to not take the silencer case that sat before them a pro-2nd Amendment act on his part?

In fact, Obama signing the bill to allow me to carry in national parks is far more favorable than anything President Trump has done for me when it comes to my 2nd Amendment rights.

To say otherwise is disingenuous.
So you accuse Trump of not doing what YOU want? Your slogan is "support 2A" but this reciprocity act is an INFRINGEMENT on state rights. Anything that has a NATIONAL in it is bad, because then someone else would change the laws much easier than one can do now.
I see Trump's policies as "steady as she goes". Every day more and more people become new gun owners, with gun laws become more relaxied in many states. More places to shoot for these new people helps to make the ownership more meaningful.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2019, 05:05 PM
Israel Putnam's Avatar
Israel Putnam Israel Putnam is offline
Bunker Hill Patriot
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: W. Central PA
Posts: 6,672
Thanks: 3,587
Thanked 10,574 Times in 4,288 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG42 View Post
So you accuse Trump of not doing what YOU want? Your slogan is "support 2A" but this reciprocity act is an INFRINGEMENT on state rights. Anything that has a NATIONAL in it is bad, because then someone else would change the laws much easier than one can do now.
I see Trump's policies as "steady as she goes". Every day more and more people become new gun owners, with gun laws become more relaxied in many states. More places to shoot for these new people helps to make the ownership more meaningful.
The Second Amendment is a right reserved for the people.

SCOTUS has affirmed that the 2ND is an individual right.

Therefore the Tenth Amendment says that the States have no standing.

The right of the people shall not be infringed means by the states as well.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 06:58 PM
GG42 GG42 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,069
Thanks: 1,038
Thanked 3,117 Times in 1,876 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Putnam View Post
The Second Amendment is a right reserved for the people.

SCOTUS has affirmed that the 2ND is an individual right.

Therefore the Tenth Amendment says that the States have no standing.

The right of the people shall not be infringed means by the states as well.
None of this has anything to do with my post: gun HAVE been and ARE regulated by both Federal and State laws. Take regulations from States and give them to the Feds IS surely infringing on States' rights. And peoples' rights also.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2019, 07:55 PM
Israel Putnam's Avatar
Israel Putnam Israel Putnam is offline
Bunker Hill Patriot
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: W. Central PA
Posts: 6,672
Thanks: 3,587
Thanked 10,574 Times in 4,288 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG42 View Post
None of this has anything to do with my post: gun HAVE been and ARE regulated by both Federal and State laws. Take regulations from States and give them to the Feds IS surely infringing on States' rights. And peoples' rights also.
Nope.
The Feds forcing states to recognize the peoples rights is not a usurpation of power.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 08:13 PM
GG42 GG42 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,069
Thanks: 1,038
Thanked 3,117 Times in 1,876 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Putnam View Post
Nope.
The Feds forcing states to recognize the peoples rights is not a usurpation of power.
Of course it is: if anyone is serious about people rights he would want to abolish federal gun laws, not introduce the new ones.
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2019, 09:47 PM
Israel Putnam's Avatar
Israel Putnam Israel Putnam is offline
Bunker Hill Patriot
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: W. Central PA
Posts: 6,672
Thanks: 3,587
Thanked 10,574 Times in 4,288 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG42 View Post
Of course it is: if anyone is serious about people rights he would want to abolish federal gun laws, not introduce the new ones.
It would be removing many laws and putting in its place one “law” that is not really a law but an affirmation of an individuals right to bear arms anywhere in the nation.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2019, 10:02 PM
GG42 GG42 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,069
Thanks: 1,038
Thanked 3,117 Times in 1,876 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Putnam View Post
It would be removing many laws and putting in its place one “law” that is not really a law but an affirmation of an individuals right to bear arms anywhere in the nation.
This is what commiefascists has always wanted to do: one law, one party, one fuhrer!
Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks



Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Survivalist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Gender
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net