Taurus Judge - Is it Worth Owning? - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 06-12-2019, 01:13 PM
Is a great cartridge.

Thanked 5,378 Times in 1,669 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper708 View Post
Your Judge won't prevent that from happening.
It will just irritate them.
I have substantial experience at "Irritating" bears with stones, and canoe paddles, boat oars, and even whacking them on the nose with the gun barrel. They can be motivated to leave the area, with proper levels of "Irritation"........
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 01:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,595 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.8SPC View Post
I have substantial experience at "Irritating" bears with stones, and canoe paddles, boat oars, and even whacking them on the nose with the gun barrel. They can be motivated to leave the area, with proper levels of "Irritation"........
So you say...
Old 06-12-2019, 03:50 PM
Is a great cartridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper708 View Post
So you say...
Well often it was filmed or photographed, by hunting clients, or by other guides. Once filmed by The Detroit Free Press, and another time by two New York State Troopers.

Sorry that you are so fearful, and resent men with gonads.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 08:17 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.8SPC View Post
Well often it was filmed or photographed, by hunting clients, or by other guides. Once filmed by The Detroit Free Press, and another time by two New York State Troopers.

Sorry that you are so fearful, and resent men with gonads.
So you say...
Old 06-12-2019, 09:44 PM
SBs Resident Non Prepper

Thanked 8,282 Times in 3,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
My cousin bought one years ago, before they really became known. He's a BIG dude, but really doesn't like shooting it. He said it "kicks like a mule."

I think he wishes he hadn't bought it, but doesn't dislike it enough to sell it off.

I was at the gun shop a few weeks ago and considered it. They had the S&W version (maybe?) of it that the guy recommended a little bit over the Taurus.
I got to call BS on this post.... they do not kick like a mule. Unless your cousin is a little girl.
I have owned mine for several years...fired all types of ammo..... no kicking like a mule
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goodwrench708 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 10:42 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,965 Times in 769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
I got to call BS on this post.... they do not kick like a mule. Unless your cousin is a little girl.
I have owned mine for several years...fired all types of ammo..... no kicking like a mule
He's a big dude. Like 6'-3", 350

Those were his words, not mine. I have never shot one, but chatting with the guy at the gun shop, he agreed.

I would think it'd have more recoil than a 9mm or even a 45. But I don't know
The Following User Says Thank You to NickTheGreat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 11:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,429 Times in 3,673 Posts

The Taurus Judge, and S&W's Governor are neither fish nor fowl. I consider them to be niche guns, they fall into the unusual yet interesting category alongside mares legs and revolver carbines. Do the work? sure to the extent of being functional, do they serve a purpose? Well that's where it gets a bit murky. Maybe for some, for others not so much. Caveat emptor...
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 11:29 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 32,000 Times in 7,732 Posts

My brother had one. I stood next to him as he fired. Heck I might have even fired it, I don't frankly recall. I probably would have tried it. Regardless, I don't recall recoil being an issue for him and he's pretty average size/build, nor a topic of conversation, nor do I recall any real recoil issues if I fired it. It left no real impression other than it was very large for a very minimal performance. You get a 5 shot cylinder with a few inaccurate buckshot pellets OR a .45lc (an underperforming handgun round compared to modern options).

My .45lc Ruger is very tame to shoot. I can't see how the Judge would be worse??!!

As for performance/capacity, I'd much rather have something else, probably a hundred better options in designs and calibers.

(I've shot a wide range of handguns and the only guns I've found unpleasant to shoot are the .500 magnum and Keltec .380.)
The Following User Says Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 11:58 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
My brother had one. I stood next to him as he fired. Heck I might have even fired it, I don't frankly recall. I probably would have tried it. Regardless, I don't recall recoil being an issue for him and he's pretty average size/build, nor a topic of conversation, nor do I recall any real recoil issues if I fired it. It left no real impression other than it was very large for a very minimal performance. You get a 5 shot cylinder with a few inaccurate buckshot pellets OR a .45lc (an underperforming handgun round compared to modern options).

My .45lc Ruger is very tame to shoot. I can't see how the Judge would be worse??!!

As for performance/capacity, I'd much rather have something else, probably a hundred better options in designs and calibers.

(I've shot a wide range of handguns and the only guns I've found unpleasant to shoot are the .500 magnum and Keltec .380.)

The 500 and the Keltec are at opposite ends of the spectrum...besides there are way better 380's than what Keltec is offering. The 500 begs the question why? Other than bragging rights what's the point of having a 500. If form follows function. What is the function of a 500?
Old 06-13-2019, 12:11 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,536 Times in 2,072 Posts

The function of the 500 S&W is to kill big and dangerous things
And just for kicks
What is the function of a super-car when freeways max out at 80 mph?????
Ego
Kicks
Fun
It's all good by me
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 12:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,179 Times in 4,917 Posts

The only possible way I could see a Judge being uncomfortable to shoot might, might be one of the polymer ones with those new high velocity turkey loads or maybe a higher velocity self defense load.
The .410 is a little baby in the recoil dept and out of the steel framed guns Ive fired none has been even remotely close to being a handful.

I almost bought one a week or so ago, a longer (6?) barreled one a local shop had for $275 simply because I have other .410s but the more I thought about it I decided to pass.
For just a range toy I figured Id be better off putting that money towards an 9mm lower.
The Following User Says Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 01:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,329 Times in 823 Posts

Thought about one for awhile, shot one and it was a hoot. Don't want to carry one though.

I ended up buying a Bond in .410/.45 because of the cool factor and it's built like a Swiss, uh, tank. Still takes the long .410 shells too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xstuntman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 01:27 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 32,000 Times in 7,732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
The 500 and the Keltec are at opposite ends of the spectrum...besides there are way better 380's than what Keltec is offering. The 500 begs the question why? Other than bragging rights what's the point of having a 500. If form follows function. What is the function of a 500?
Yes, I realize this. The 500 is simple painful in any sized handgun. The .380 KT is painful but purely due to the light and small frame weighing only 7 oz. Both feel like you're holding a firecracker in your palm.

I don't own a 500. Having shot it I have no interest.
I own but rarely fire or carry the .380. Very limited role in my collection, for ultra deep "no other option" carry.
The Following User Says Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 02:22 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
The function of the 500 S&W is to kill big and dangerous things
And just for kicks
What is the function of a super-car when freeways max out at 80 mph?????
Ego
Kicks
Fun
It's all good by me

I get the killing big and dangerous things angle, and I suppose in certain circles the bragging rights would carry some weight. Ego kicks? sure I'm okay with different priorities...

I believe we might have a different interpretation of what constitutes fun. Developing stress fractures in my wrists is best left for those times when it is absolutely necessary...LOL
Old 06-13-2019, 07:14 PM

Default I like mine

I have one. I really like it. Mostly carry it for snakes around here - lots of copperheads and coral snakes. Would want more firepower for the water moccasins and armadillos. I always carry it and a 9mm and 2 flashlights when I have to make the long walk down to the gate at night.

I have an assortment of short .410 shells for it. Use the long .410 shells in the shotgun.

It's too big to carry, but I do keep it on the seat beside me if I'm travelling at night. With self defense loads in it.

I like mine. Glad I bought it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to QuiltingB For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 07:55 PM
statists' be statin'

Thanked 10,510 Times in 2,311 Posts

A lot of talk here about the kick of this guy. Really not as bad as you'd think. With .45LC or 2-1/2" .410, it kicks less than my polymer frame .40. 3" buckshot kicks just a little more than the .40. It's a heavy steel frame and the grips are very flexible where the gun hits the palm of your hand.

I took my 12 year old son to the range last week and one of the guns we shot was the Judge. My buddy and his 11 year old daughter went with us. At first, she didn't want to try the Judge but eventually tried it. As the 4 of us took turns choosing a gun from the 9 we had brought, she kept picking the Judge every time it was her turn. If an 11 year old girl can do it, you can do it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maintenanceguy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 08:47 PM
Hunter

Testing shows the Judge to be pretty much worthless for most purposes:
https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box...e-box-o-truth/
Quote:
Lessons learned:
Jack bought this pistol for snakes and it looks like a fine tool for that job.
Birdshot, in any gauge, is for little birds.
Buckshot out of a .410 does not penetrate enough to be an effective personal defense load.
The rifled slug was also a disappointment and did not have enough weight or power or penetration to be effective as a defense load.
The .45 Long Colt loads had plenty of penetration and would be the preferred defense load for this pistol.
It’s fun to bust clays with this pistol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 08:58 PM
Is a great cartridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maintenanceguy View Post
........ If an 11 year old girl can do it, you can do it.
I'll not bet any of my money on that...seems there are a lot of "Sissy" males on this forum, and I don't mean only young males.....

.....At least there are some ladies here, that are able to open a #10 can of "WOOP'ASS" on anyone that cross's them.......
The Following User Says Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 10:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,047 Times in 5,873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodwrench708 View Post
Yep I have both the Judge Pistol and the Circuit Judge they are fun guns to plink around with on the farm and my elderly Uncle took a Big Doe a couple of years ago with the Circuit Judge using 45LC Revolution ammo 1 shot from about 120 steps. Dead Right There.
The Following User Says Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2019, 10:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,386 Times in 1,267 Posts

My BIL gave me a double barrel FMJ Model D410/45 derringer style pistol made in Ducktown, TN. I honestly don't think I'll ever fire it. I don't keep it loaded as I am afraid I might forget something about the safety or selector switch in a pinch. Familiarity could come with some shooting but it's so small I am not sure I would enjoy practice shooting with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post: