Stop Buying Paper Targets! Easy, Cheap, Option - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 06-10-2019, 08:06 PM
Always Loaded

Thanked 2,833 Times in 956 Posts
Default Stop Buying Paper Targets! Easy, Cheap, Option

Advertise Here

Everyone has their little methods and tricks to come up with inexpensive targets. I solved this never ending search quite simply. Why don't we just print them on our home printers? Because ink cartridges cost $20-$35. Or do they? For 95% of printer cartridges, you can fill them 20+ times for pennies. Ebay sells black refill ink for around $7 for a 8 oz bottle. It is super easy to fill, and takes about 3 minutes. There are several sites that offer free target PDF's. I use https://www.targets.ws/bullseye-targets.htm . Target essentially cost the price of printer paper.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to hanzy4200 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 09:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 56,282 Times in 18,375 Posts

I use political signs. Comes with its own stand, good for the environment, and free!
Old 06-10-2019, 11:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,225 Times in 2,694 Posts

I've copied my own targets on 3 ring notebook paper for years. I also have information about the load, and the gun, and the conditions under which the target was shot. Kept all of them in a few binders going back for about 20 years
The Following User Says Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:

Old 06-11-2019, 12:03 AM
Support the 2A

Thanked 3,943 Times in 1,452 Posts

Thanks, a good source.
I like Nomads suggest a bit more though.
The Following User Says Thank You to zumhug For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 12:33 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 30,911 Times in 7,483 Posts

Better yet. Save your pizza boxes and those round cardboard pizza trays. Totally free with the purchase of every pizza. Each pizza box and round tray provides 3 targets.

Or collect free cardboard boxes. Each box has at least 4 sides, top and bottom. That's up to 6 targets.

Or buy a pack of paper plates. Hundreds of targets for a penny each.

Or just sheets of scrap paper, which is free. I have hundreds of sheets of scrap paper, junk mail fliers make great targets, etc. Those junk mail magazines. Tear out a picture and use it as a target. Hundreds of targets in a magazine. Or junk mail is usually blank on one side.

If you really need a point to aim, a black marker is your friend.

"Buying" paper/ink to shoot holes in is the height of wastefulness. Individually the cost is trivial but in the aggregate it cuts into ammo budgets. Typical purchased target or ink ~10 cents to a dollar each. Range session, say 10 targets. Shoot every week. 520 targets. Low end, you're wasting $52. High end, $520 or the price of a new handgun! Every year, with typical shooting habits....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 02:08 AM
-

Thanked 2,022 Times in 973 Posts

My cheap way is get cardboard from work (that they end up throwing out anyway), cut it into 12"x24" rectangles, and use a large chisel sharpie to draw a square in the middle of it. $4 for the sharpie that lasts me 6 months, and staples (<$0.01) for holding the cardboard to the backstop.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strokes762 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 03:51 AM
Awesome

Thanked 21,795 Times in 7,265 Posts

i shoot steel targets, for the most part theyre infinitely reusable
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justin22885 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 04:49 AM

When I am not sighting anything in I use cheap paper plates and place a dot on them. The dots is the ones you can get at a office supply store.
The Following User Says Thank You to mil spec For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 05:01 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,225 Times in 2,694 Posts

A square piece of the new multi colored duck tape can be stuck on anything to make an aiming point. Before they made multi colored duck tape I would use a square piece of colored construction paper stapled or pinned to whatever background.
The Following User Says Thank You to bilmac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 05:15 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 11,661 Times in 3,812 Posts

What is this....a late night infomerical?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 06:45 AM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 38,931 Times in 9,362 Posts

I use large business calendars, 30+ targets on each page

Desk pads work well too
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 07:12 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,402 Times in 603 Posts

I've tried refilling printer cartridges back in the day. they used to have a little hole in the top. now you have to drill them.

I never got more than 2 or 3 refills before they are gummed up and don't work. never had much luck. I only did the black and finally threw out the half full bottle of ink. the ink always needed to be shaken up before using as it settles. the cartridges dry out over time whether used or not. that's why new ones are vacuum sealed and have a seal over the head.

also, most all new cartridges are chipped and won't work again unless they get re-flashed. I have a re-flashing tool for my Epson that works maybe 50% of the time on refills. those tools are a must and cost around $20 so add that to your price.

honestly it's just cheaper to buy new cartridges. they may be expensive at Walmart or office depot, but you can new buy off brands for 1/10th of the price. I get a new 10pack for $25 which has 4 black, 2 blu, 2 yellow, 2 magenta off Amazon and they work great, no mess. there are cheaper refilled ones out there but those sometimes the chip doesn't register. be sure to read the reviews.

YMMV....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gungatim For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 07:18 AM
What?

Thanked 10,117 Times in 4,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokes762 View Post
My cheap way is get cardboard from work (that they end up throwing out anyway), cut it into 12"x24" rectangles, and use a large chisel sharpie to draw a square in the middle of it. $4 for the sharpie that lasts me 6 months, and staples (<$0.01) for holding the cardboard to the backstop.
I did this for years. The place I used to work made a lot of large blueprints, and I got all the cardboard they came in. Depending on size, each box yielded between 2-4 full-size IPSC type targets (traced off an original), and I always had a big stack.

These days, I use the photo situational type. Not much of a choice for that type but buy them.

Ive tried printer/notebook paper in the past, and the paper pretty much sucks for target paper, especially if it isnt against a firm backer. The paper tends to rip when hit, instead of giving clean-cut holes. Not really a big deal if youre just trying to hit the sheet, but if youre trying to work up loads a and shoot measurable groups, it doesn't work very well. I think a paper plate would be a better cheap alternative.

I usually just buy a pack of 100 SR-1 replacement centers for sighting things in and judging accuracy. 6" black bull on one side for open sights, and 1/2"-1" stick on orange dots on the other.

Sometimes, theres just no substitute for a real paper target.

Now, if you want to get real cheap, free is best. Our club has sporting clay shoots once a month, and there are broken, and the occasional intact birds all over the place. I just fill a bag with the biggest pieces and throw them on the berm. Reactive targets that get more challenging with each hit.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:11 AM
Survivor

Thanked 27,225 Times in 7,137 Posts

I found a website for targets and printed off a 8" diameter bullseye target. Red circles with black center. Printed off a hundred of them..
Old 06-11-2019, 10:04 AM
Concerned

Thanked 1,564 Times in 518 Posts

Sometimes I DIY out of whatever is laying around, but other times I use actual targets, especially if sighting in. I never need more than one target though. I keep a roll of masking tape in my range bad and cover the holes up everytime I check the target.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:00 AM
Near The Glow

Thanked 1,537 Times in 507 Posts

A piece of polyethylene foam used for packing boxes.

Spray paint it black, paint the "bullseye" a different color.

Instant self-sealing "Shoot and See" target. When walking out to investigate, bring your can of paint and spray over it. It'll be dry by the time you get back to the bench.

For added splatter effect, put duct tape on it before you spray paint.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:19 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,213 Times in 1,259 Posts

So, what I gather from this thread is targets are purely aiming aids for marksmanship training?
Old 06-11-2019, 11:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,001 Times in 3,488 Posts

I have an old realtor sigh that I clip cardboard to, I drive it in the ground and I'm GTG. I've even removed the cardboard and dangled a can, water balloon or spent shotgun shells from the top brace.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 12:12 PM
Mad Trapper

I just make a template out of pizza box and spray paint my own targets.

I use soup cans, bowls and plates of various sizes to trace the outline then cut it out. lay the template over anything I want to paint a target on and paint with cheap paint from wally-world. for about a buck and I can have as many targets I want and any size I need!!!!

If you want to get really fancy, use clear packing tape to make "shoot-and-see" targets!!
just put the tape on the paper before you paint, then lay the template on and paint the target on the tape. When you shoot it, the color of the paper under the paint and tape will show around the hole.

use any paper you want......…..myself I have an endless supply of printer paper that was only printed on one side.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjsixgun For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 01:22 PM

i downloaded 80+ targets a few years ago.id print as many as i wanted to when needed.id staple 1 at a time to a 1x1 home made frame.or to a fence post.I've alse used different size boxes.includeing one that a 55 inch tv came in.ive also gone to a certain creek in which the embankments is at least 10-12 feet high.there id shoot at items thats already there.and at different distances.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimLE For This Useful Post: