Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-10-2019, 07:54 AM
Hunter

Default Shamed by a Pagan

Advertise Here

Lately I had neglected praying an office of the Catholic Church (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liturgy_of_the_Hours) for a week or two due to laziness. Then a couple days ago I stumbled upon this passage from Epictetus’ Discources (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discourses_of_Epictetus):
Are these the only works of providence in us? And what words are sufficient to praise them and set them forth according to their worth? For if we had understanding, ought we to do anything else both jointly and severally than to sing hymns and bless the deity, and to tell of his benefits? Ought we not when we are digging and ploughing and eating to sing this hymn to God?
“Great is God, who has given us such implements with which we shall cultivate the earth: great is God who has given
us hands, the power of swallowing, a stomach, imperceptible growth, and the power of breathing while we sleep.”
This is what we ought to sing on every occasion, and to sing the greatest and most divine hymn for giving us the faculty of comprehending these things and using a proper way. Well then, since most of you have become blind, ought there not to be some man to fill this office, and on behalf of all to sing the hymn to God? For what else can I do, a lame old man, than sing hymns to God? If then I was a nightingale, I would do the part of a nightingale: if I were a swan, I would do like a swan. But now I am a rational creature, and I ought to praise God: this is my work; I do it, nor will I desert this post, so long as I am allowed to keep it; and I exhort you to join in this same song.
So the lame old man, that I am, dusted off a copy of The Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary (http://www.libers.com/lof.htm) and have made a point to pray at least the Lauds which has excellent and, more importantly, inspired prayers of praise to God. I especially like these hymns where as rational creatures we pray on behalf of all creation:
All ye works of the Lord, bless the Lord: * praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O ye angels of the Lord, bless the Lord: * O ye heavens, bless the Lord:
O all ye waters that are above the heavens, bless the Lord: * O all ye powers of the Lord, bless the Lord.
O ye sun and moon, bless the Lord: * O ye stars of heaven, bless the Lord.
O every shower and dew, bless ye the Lord: * O all ye spirits of God, bless the Lord.
O ye fire and heat, bless the Lord: * O ye cold and heat, bless the Lord.
O ye dews and hoar frosts, bless the Lord: * O ye frost and cold, bless the Lord.
O ye ice and snow, bless the Lord: * O ye nights and days, bless the Lord.
O ye light and darkness, bless the Lord: * O ye lightnings and clouds, bless the Lord.
O let the earth bless the Lord: * let it praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O ye mountains and hills, bless the Lord: * O all ye things that spring up in the earth, bless the Lord.
O ye fountains, bless the Lord: * O ye seas and rivers, bless the Lord.
O ye whales, and all that move in the waters, bless the Lord: * O all ye fowls of the air, bless the Lord.
O all ye beasts and cattle, bless the Lord: * O ye sons of men, bless the Lord.
O let Israel bless the Lord: * let them praise and exalt him above all for ever.
O ye priests of the Lord, bless the Lord: * O ye servants of the Lord, bless the Lord.
O ye spirits and souls of the just, bless the Lord: * O ye holy and humble of heart, bless the Lord.
O Ananias, Azarias, and Misael, bless ye the Lord: * praise and exalt him above all for ever.
Let us bless the Father and the Son, with the Holy Ghost; * let us praise and exalt him above all for ever.
Blessed art thou, O Lord, in the firmament of heaven: * and worthy of praise, and glorious for ever.
(Daniel 3:57-75, 56; Deuterocanonical)

Praise ye the Lord from the heavens * praise ye him in the high places.
Praise ye him, all his angels: * praise ye him, all his hosts.
Praise ye him, O sun and moon: * praise him, all ye stars and light.
Praise him, ye heavens of heavens: * and let all the waters that are above the heavens, praise the name of the Lord.
For he spoke, and they were made: * he commanded, and they were created.
He hath established them for ever, and for ages of ages: * he hath made a decree, and it shall not pass away.
Praise the Lord from the earth, * ye dragons, and all ye deeps:
Fire, hail, snow, ice, stormy winds * which fulfill his word:
Mountains and all hills, * fruitful trees and all cedars:
Beasts and all cattle: * serpents and feathered fowls:
Kings of the earth and all people: * princes and all judges of the earth:
Young men and maidens: * let the old with the younger, praise the name of the Lord: For his name alone is exalted.
The praise of him is above heaven and earth: * and he hath exalted the horn of his people.
A hymn to all his saints: to the children of Israel, a people approaching him.
(Psalm 148)
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trogshak For This Useful Post: