common household items under 150 watts? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 06-07-2019, 04:18 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,449 Times in 1,703 Posts
Default common household items under 150 watts?

Advertise Here

Just a few minutes ago I saw an ad for a Ryobi sine wave invertor that works on the 18v plus 1 series of batteries.150 watts max,with usb outlets also,79.99$

I have a bunch of their products and batterys,and happy with them.Maybe not the "best",but its nice to have just 1 system.I also have a small solar system ,battery bank system,invertors and 3 generators.

This might be handy for when you don't want to mess with all that,or to keep in the car.

Just trying to think of what I can run off it.Looking around the house,it could recharge most electronics,run a fan,tv,light,wi-fi,router,radio,laptop,maybe even security camera.

Just trying to justify it,seems like it could be handy when you don't want to run an extention cord,pretty compact,and I already have 11 of the batterys.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2019, 06:00 AM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,031 Times in 3,851 Posts

Home Depot has a promotion going on where if you buy a kit with two three amp hour batteries, charger, and carry bag you get to pick a free tool. Had this been one of the tools listed on the promotion I would have picked one up. The biggest concern I had was the run time. To fully charge my big notebook would need three of the normal batts or two of the 4 AH.

A fan, If you don't have one get the Ryobi fan that runs on either the battery or 110 V. It runs 4 hours on a 2 AH battery at high speed. More efficient than running a fan with the inverter.

The Ryobi One+ system is very under rated if you ask me.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2019, 01:43 PM
Survivor

JDH,I checked back on-line at my lunch break and saw that.Hard to navigate the site,but ende up getting the inverter and the battery starter kit for the 99.99$ and about 6$ tax,free delivery.
Maybe not the best deal,but I'm happy,ain't going to fret...be fun to play with it and see what it will power..that gives me 13 batteries and 5 chargers now.
The Following User Says Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2019, 05:20 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,142 Times in 949 Posts

I only own three things that use over 150 watts: the air conditioner, washer, and dryer. And I don't use the dryer any more.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JRR For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2019, 05:51 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,013 Times in 929 Posts

Hmm...neat! Would be another way to power our portable 12V/120V fridge / freezer, perhaps. Albeit not the most efficient way, but a convenient backup to a backup...
The Following User Says Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2019, 12:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 8,104 Times in 2,819 Posts

This is roughly 60 watt hours. This is rather insignificant. You'd be better served getting a small inverter and running it off your car battery. This has less available than a triplite extension cord battery ups.

I love ryobi, but this is a waste of money.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Im RIght For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2019, 02:07 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,695 Times in 791 Posts

Pretty steep for a 150 watt inverter. Most likely if it will work with a 18vdc input, it'll probably work with 12vdc like a car battery.
The Following User Says Thank You to randolphrowzeebragg For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2019, 03:48 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im RIght View Post
This is roughly 60 watt hours. This is rather insignificant. You'd be better served getting a small inverter and running it off your car battery. This has less available than a triplite extension cord battery ups.

I love ryobi, but this is a waste of money.
I have several inverters and 12v batterys,this is just a small alternative..buck up to a back up.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:24 AM
statists' be statin'

Thanked 10,509 Times in 2,311 Posts

Volts x Amps = Watts -or- Amps = Watts / Volts.

150 Watts / 120 Volts = 1.25 Amps. So, you can run an applicance that draws less than 1.25 amps. But that's if the inverter is rated for 150W continuous use. I don't know if this one is.

But there's more... the battery can only provide 6 Amp hours according to the listing on Home Depot's site. Using the same formula for the battery side of the inverter:

Amps = Watts / Volts -or- 150 Watts / 18 Volts = 8.3 Amps. You would be drawing 8.3 Amps from the battery which can deliver 6 Amps for 1 hour. Your setup should last for about 45 minutes.

Keep in mind that manufacurer's ratings often leave out some real world stuff so your real world results are more likely to be about half of that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maintenanceguy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2019, 06:28 AM
Don't get me started

Thanked 29,893 Times in 10,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook View Post
Maybe not the best deal,but I'm happy,ain't going to fret...be fun to play with it and see what it will power..that gives me 13 batteries and 5 chargers now.
Based on the numbers you will not be able to power much of anything. But if you are happy and having fun experimenting with the new addition to your Ryobi arsenal that is a good reason as any to own it.

Back a long time ago, after being impressed with a battery powered drill as its usefulness in a variety of construction tasks, I spotted a combination kit of drill, jigsaw, sander that really looked neat and I bought it. I found that I never used the jig saw and sander attachments since the battery could not power them long enough to do anything I needed to do. Hanged on to them for a long time before I simply ending up chucking them out. Seemed a shame.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Back a long time ago, after being impressed with a battery powered drill as its usefulness in a variety of construction tasks, I spotted a combination kit of drill, jigsaw, sander that really looked neat and I bought it. I found that I never used the jig saw and sander attachments since the battery could not power them long enough to do anything I needed to do. Hanged on to them for a long time before I simply ending up chucking them out. Seemed a shame.
Battery technology has come a very long way in a short time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2019, 09:30 AM
Don't get me started

Thanked 29,893 Times in 10,519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
Battery technology has come a very long way in a short time.
It has and hasn't. Handy for portable tools but limited versus plug in versions. With multiple battery packs and fast chargers you can do a lot of work in certain applications.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2019, 10:55 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook View Post
I have several inverters and 12v batterys,this is just a small alternative..buck up to a back up.
I hear what you're saying, and perhaps it is my imagination that is the limiting factor... but what do you envision this being used for?

18V x 4 amp battery pack = 72 WH assuming no losses within the device. The inverter is also limited to proprietary batteries and in in a pinch, those batteries may be more useful working other things in the ryobi lineup like a drill, radio, saw, flashlight... which brings us back to the point of what will it power that ryobi doesn't already have in it's lineup?

I see this as a glorified battery charger for phones etc... which for a similar price one would do better purchasing a 1000w lithium jump starter which has 1000 watts available, and for an extra $10, buy a 140w inverter on ebay, and you have a better, more useful, more versitalie backup to the backup.

I agree that it's a neat toy to add to the collection of yellow in the garage if you got money looking to be spent, but I see this more as a gimmick, or spontaneous purchase and not something of with any real usefulness.

$0.02
Old 06-09-2019, 03:58 AM
Survivor

Yep,impulse buy..I hate when you live up to your username
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2019, 12:33 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,695 Times in 791 Posts

Ryobi is offering this because it allows people to plug in low-load devices like phone chargers when AC isn't available. If you're on a job site or repairing your vacation cabin, this would be a handy device. Who would want to plug an inverter into a cigarette lighter and then turn on your vehicle's ignition just to make a call or check your messages?
It's the same reason that batteries aren't interchangeable between different manufacturers' hand tools. Once you decide for whatever reason that you want to buy Ryobi, it behooves them to offer as many options as possible. People who believe that this device is suitable for powering a refrigerator are the same people who would plug a Ryobi charger into a Ryobi inverter as a way of charging the inverter's battery
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to randolphrowzeebragg For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2019, 01:44 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,127 Times in 652 Posts

One thing, Iíd use it for would be a cordless soldering iron or gun. It would have the power, and some of the solder type connectors go in the dampest places. But otherwise, not terabally useful. You could get some use out of a 12v regulated output. I built one at work out of a broken dewalt sawsall to run a red LED flasher on the back of a long load. Build the prototype at work, and saved enough parts to do one at home.

BTW, you canít carry lithium batts as checked baggage., so I had a intern build a 2 battery, 12 battery, a 24 battery carrying case. Using a hot wire band saw. Filled with 3 Ah batteries, thereís some serious power there.

Only problem is she took the bandsaw back to her sorority, and doesnít want to give it up.
The Following User Says Thank You to country_boy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2019, 03:20 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,128 Times in 769 Posts

Not going to lie, if I was in your situation, I would have bought it too.

I like the light, USB and power output design of it. It's not high output, but would be just perfect for running a led droplight/stringlights at a camp.

I have Milwaukee tools for work. Drills, impacts and radio with a few batteries. I bought an adapter a while ago that is a 18v battery to USB and also has a port to power milwaukees line of heated clothing. I have yet to use it, but would much more when my boy gets a little older and we start camping and stuff. Milwaukee tools are great, the batteries kick ass. But they are expensive and the tools and batteries are still chinesium.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/question...ly/203461325/1

My dad uses Ryobi stuff. He likes it, and it's very reasonable. But I wouldn't count on them making a good 9-12 amp hour battery. Maybe they will. Who knows
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OliverR. For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2019, 10:37 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by country_boy View Post
One thing, Iíd use it for would be a cordless soldering iron or gun.
https://www.ebay.com/i/133052857763?chn=ps

Yep, ryobi's got that covered.

Did not know about lithiums could not be checked baggage. ty.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:56 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,013 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
https://www.ebay.com/i/133052857763?chn=ps...Did not know about lithiums could not be checked baggage. ty.
Yah, about the time some phones were burning up due shorted batteries, some fanatics oversees decided to swap out laptop batteries with “other things”.

Similarly printer cartridges, if I recall correctly.

Lithium battery shipment was implicated in a fatal UPS cargo plane fire & crash.
The Following User Says Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
https://www.ebay.com/i/133052857763?chn=ps

Yep, ryobi's got that covered.
Well damn, the list keeps growing. That on just moved to the top of the list. Followed by the hot glue gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post: