Strategies for when stored food runs out - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 06-06-2019, 09:33 AM
Birds of a Feather

Default Strategies for when stored food runs out

Advertise Here

So what strategies exist for when stored food runs out?
Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2019, 09:39 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,473 Times in 613 Posts

Gardening
Hunting
Foraging
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MichaelK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 10:08 AM
Birds of a Feather

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
Gardening
Hunting
Foraging
In rural areas I can see this making more sense.

However, in an urban setting do you still see those strategies as feasible?

Like say there are still hundreds of thousands of people in the city, say half the city's population has died and there is half a million to million people in that space still.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2019, 10:39 AM
Survivor

Thanked 28,527 Times in 7,450 Posts

Have plenty of preps put back, including water..
The Following User Says Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 10:49 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,593 Times in 997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamAshley View Post

Like say there are still hundreds of thousands of people in the city, say half the city's population has died and there is half a million to million people in that space still.
If you choose none of those options, and choose to remain in the "urban setting", you will soon die.

There are no other options.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 10:51 AM
Target Shooter

Long term Urban-----stealth required with lots of foraging, guns and ammo mandatory
The Following User Says Thank You to kmech For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 11:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 58,283 Times in 18,927 Posts

Quote:

So there's a million (long) pigs walking around...

You literally just asked what can you do in a place you can't raise food when stored food runs out and food isn't being imported.

what do you THINK will happen...
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 12:59 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,305 Times in 9,627 Posts

Quote:

You are correct about the utban areas.

Without energy, it will be impossible to pump water, transpirt goods, cook and heat homes, or even grow crops in large amounts. Which means that every person currently living in the large urban areas must either leave, or they will die. Some cities are in worse shape than others, but no city can survive more than a couple months without energy.

What is my strategy to survive a long term event?

I bought a small ranch, cleared and fenced my my pastures, and im raising livestock. In fact, this morning I bolted my new ag sprayer to my ATV and sprayed broad leaf weeds trying to take over my pastures. I also have a garden area, fruit and nut trees and vines, and I plan to add a greenhouse.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 01:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,503 Times in 6,332 Posts

Roof top gardening, gardening in abandoned apartments its amazing how quickly soil collects when the windows are not blocked by all that glass.

Guerilla gardening in open areas. Those busted windows give pigeons a place to roost, rats will be everywhere as long as there is a food source ( bodies)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 05:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,527 Times in 1,953 Posts

Look at the people standing on the streets waiting for FEMA to feed them. In a large situation they will be the first to go. The books that I have read about this estimates way over 50% the first month. After a month there will be little food in urban areas. The people will either move or starve. People migrating from urban areas will not be welcome in rural areas. Kind of like the illegal issue we have now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 05:24 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,493 Times in 8,962 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

If only one-half of the population dies or leaves, that means there is most likely a working government or a new one will form quickly. Including within the city. They will be taking steps to get food, water, and sanitation problems under control. Possibly by having recovery groups protected by JBTs (Jack Booted Thugs) systematically (or randomly) looking for supplies.

One's own supplies should last a long time simply to supplement what will be available.

However, there is a very good chance that there will not be enough and that 50% that survived with quickly be down to only 10% of the original population through deaths by bad water, bad food, medical issues, and violence.

Just as soon as that starts to happen, it is time to start doing the basics mentioned. Forage, garden, and hunt. The more people that die, the more things there will be to forage, if you can beat others to them, from the locations from which the others left.

While that foraging (recovering already processed foods in this case), scouting out natural forging opportunities can be done. This should be done now, but when the event occurs there is a good chance some spots will be destroyed and some others pop up with nothing to kill of the new growth. So, the scouting while collecting other foods will need to be done anyway.

There are many open areas in most cities. If one is not close, and even if one is, it may be better initially to bring in decent growing soil in containers and use empty places at your place, or in peoples' houses and apartments that have left or died. You will need a good source of water for that, but you will need it for any garden anyway.

The hunting, after any larger animal population (big dogs and whatever large pets and animals are around) is taken in the very early days of the event when it is obvious that food will not be coming in, the hunt will be for small game. (And fishing, if that opportunity exists near you. A river or lake, or any ponds that might be stocked with fish.)

Since it will be small game, using snares and traps will be a better way to harvest the animals than using firearms, unless you have a suppressed one. Even if you do, it is probably better to use the snares and traps because anyone finding out you have the suppressed firearm and the word spread, someone is going to want to take that weapon away from you. If there is a group, they will claim that they need it worse than one person, that it gives you an unfair advantage and you should either give up the weapon or give much of the game you take to them. For free, with no compensation or help, except 'letting' you keep the firearm (and not killing you... maybe).

All three of these, plus finding and making arrangements so you will have a reliable long-term water supply, should be started long before the food runs out. Loooonnnngggg before. If you wait until it does, you probably will not make it. Because what food is left will disappear quickly, it takes quite a while for a garden to grow, foraging will only provide a small portion of the food needed (though it will be important as it will most likely provide many of the micro-nutrients and some other things that the other foods will not) at best.

Hunting (or preferably snaring and trapping) may produce plenty of meat, but it might not, and you may have to go further afield, or in this case further 'acity'. Which will put you at more risk.

Most of it will depend on the city and those people that remain. It very well could be that pigeons will be the bulk of your diet if there is not a pretty good rabbit, squirrel, raccoon, opossum, feral dog, and feral cat population, and what there is does not get hunted to extenction in the area.

If you are lucky enough to live near a zoo and can manage to corral a few of the animals when they are released by the zoo keepers, the zoo is damaged and many escape, or someone else goes in, eliminates the zoo keepers and starts harvesting the animals, you might be able to actually start a small herd or two for long-term supplies, or at least add to your stores by harvesting and processing some of them immediately. Be careful though, because once it becomes known that someone is doing it the normalcy bias of most people will disappear and many people will be intent on doing the same thing.

So, other than mana from heaven, it will be back to the original means of sustaining ourselves.

Just my opinion.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:23 PM
BASS

Thanked 2,613 Times in 1,004 Posts

I am in walking distance of fresh and saltwater fisheries. Deer are abundant but need to be protected from people who will kill them and let most of the meat spoil.

I can heat with wood. I have wood and charcoal saved for SHTF. Yes I can cook over open fire or in Dutch Ovens. Old Boy Scout here.
Scavenging is better 30 to 90 days after SHTF.

Continue to PREP.........
Old 06-06-2019, 06:37 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,491 Times in 696 Posts

Quote:

The problem with hunting in the country, all the local good old boys, will quickly deplete the deer supplies, because if the grid goes down, few people will be able to keep meat from spoiling. They will kill it as they run out of un-spoiled meat. Making jerky is great if you are in a sunny climate or can run your wood stove all the time.

As for gardening a few problems come to mind in the country. No electricity--no water for irrigation unless one lives downstream from a water source. And a few strong young bucks might be able to till a garden with a shovel, but most can't feed a big family that way. Maybe you have a tractor, but they make noise and marauders can hear it and figure you are a prepper and will come stealing at night.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper708 View Post
If you choose none of those options, and choose to remain in the "urban setting", you will soon die.

There are no other options.

Do you think a city dude and a family can escape to the country and survive? If I went to a city I couldn't survive, because I have no skills for that, but I have lived only in the country and it would be a lot easier for me to survive in the country.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
You are correct about the utban areas.

Without energy, it will be impossible to pump water, transpirt goods, cook and heat homes, or even grow crops in large amounts. Which means that every person currently living in the large urban areas must either leave, or they will die. Some cities are in worse shape than others, but no city can survive more than a couple months without energy.

What is my strategy to survive a long term event?

I bought a small ranch, cleared and fenced my my pastures, and im raising livestock. In fact, this morning I bolted my new ag sprayer to my ATV and sprayed broad leaf weeds trying to take over my pastures. I also have a garden area, fruit and nut trees and vines, and I plan to add a greenhouse.

In the state where I live, if a person had livestock on a small ranch, and things collapsed, many of those livestock would end up jerky. They would use a suppressor and sub-sonic rounds and kill what they want at night.We don't have good soil but if we did then a lot of people would live near us. If people are hungry enough they won't fret a bit about stealing.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:56 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,176 Times in 4,263 Posts

If you can't hunt, garden or forage, you die when your supplies run out
Old 06-06-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D Young View Post
If only one-half of the population dies or leaves, that means there is most likely a working government or a new one will form quickly. Including within the city. They will be taking steps to get food, water, and sanitation problems under control. Possibly by having recovery groups protected by JBTs (Jack Booted Thugs) systematically (or randomly) looking for supplies.

One's own supplies should last a long time simply to supplement what will be available.

However, there is a very good chance that there will not be enough and that 50% that survived with quickly be down to only 10% of the original population through deaths by bad water, bad food, medical issues, and violence.

Just as soon as that starts to happen, it is time to start doing the basics mentioned. Forage, garden, and hunt. The more people that die, the more things there will be to forage, if you can beat others to them, from the locations from which the others left.

While that foraging (recovering already processed foods in this case), scouting out natural forging opportunities can be done. This should be done now, but when the event occurs there is a good chance some spots will be destroyed and some others pop up with nothing to kill of the new growth. So, the scouting while collecting other foods will need to be done anyway.

There are many open areas in most cities. If one is not close, and even if one is, it may be better initially to bring in decent growing soil in containers and use empty places at your place, or in peoples' houses and apartments that have left or died. You will need a good source of water for that, but you will need it for any garden anyway.

The hunting, after any larger animal population (big dogs and whatever large pets and animals are around) is taken in the very early days of the event when it is obvious that food will not be coming in, the hunt will be for small game. (And fishing, if that opportunity exists near you. A river or lake, or any ponds that might be stocked with fish.)

Since it will be small game, using snares and traps will be a better way to harvest the animals than using firearms, unless you have a suppressed one. Even if you do, it is probably better to use the snares and traps because anyone finding out you have the suppressed firearm and the word spread, someone is going to want to take that weapon away from you. If there is a group, they will claim that they need it worse than one person, that it gives you an unfair advantage and you should either give up the weapon or give much of the game you take to them. For free, with no compensation or help, except 'letting' you keep the firearm (and not killing you... maybe).

All three of these, plus finding and making arrangements so you will have a reliable long-term water supply, should be started long before the food runs out. Loooonnnngggg before. If you wait until it does, you probably will not make it. Because what food is left will disappear quickly, it takes quite a while for a garden to grow, foraging will only provide a small portion of the food needed (though it will be important as it will most likely provide many of the micro-nutrients and some other things that the other foods will not) at best.

Hunting (or preferably snaring and trapping) may produce plenty of meat, but it might not, and you may have to go further afield, or in this case further 'acity'. Which will put you at more risk.

Most of it will depend on the city and those people that remain. It very well could be that pigeons will be the bulk of your diet if there is not a pretty good rabbit, squirrel, raccoon, opossum, feral dog, and feral cat population, and what there is does not get hunted to extenction in the area.

If you are lucky enough to live near a zoo and can manage to corral a few of the animals when they are released by the zoo keepers, the zoo is damaged and many escape, or someone else goes in, eliminates the zoo keepers and starts harvesting the animals, you might be able to actually start a small herd or two for long-term supplies, or at least add to your stores by harvesting and processing some of them immediately. Be careful though, because once it becomes known that someone is doing it the normalcy bias of most people will disappear and many people will be intent on doing the same thing.

So, other than mana from heaven, it will be back to the original means of sustaining ourselves.

Just my opinion.

I get the idea that most people on this site live in Texas so it must be easy to hunt for food. Here in Idaho and probably where Sarco 2000 lives, we have a good wolf population that kills black bear and lots of elk so that when one hikes in the back country, deer and elk are rarely seen. Instead animals come down near where people are. Being that there are lots of hunters in this area, most animals for food will be gone in a couple weeks. All a person has to do is bait deer with fruit but we still have to be able to keep it. Canning is OK but a pain on the woodstove in the fall. Makes for a warm house.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:22 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,176 Times in 4,263 Posts

Same here. I will kill and preserve everything I can, as fast as I can when it hits...but I expect the woods will be really empty a few months later. Probably no bird or squirrel left alive within a days walk of anyplace people live.

Eventually wildlife will come back with a vengeance and there will be more deer than you could ever eat, but is YEARS down the road. You have to be able to bridge the time between the fall and the new normal with supplies.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:40 PM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,799 Posts

If the grid goes down and it looks to be long term, why not start foraging immediately and conserve your stored foods while trying to buy more commercial food or supplies still left on the open market? Eat the wild foods while it still exists in good volume.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 07:50 PM

Thanked 1,135 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D Young View Post

Just my opinion.
I havent seen you in a while. And i agree.